THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogmanay  (Read 13468 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Hogmanay
« on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:29 »

As many of you will doubtless be aware, Scotland likes to party at the turn of the year.

There has been talk about going to Glasgow to partake in these festivities.

Once again as many of you will doubtless be aware, it is now October. Very soon there will be nowhere left to stay in Glasgow (le gasp!).

I'm reluctant to take on the responsibility of finding a place to stay for anyone who wants to go, because for one thing I have never been to Glasgow and for another I'm probably a bit too busy to keep on top of it.

So if you're interested in doing this, and particularly if you're in Glasgow or know it well, please make some suggestions about where and how long for. Previous meets have shown that it's more fun if we're all in one place but at this point we may have to settle for a variety of hostels and hotels.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
Re: Hogmanay
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:26 »

Well, I dunno what everyone else is going to do but a couple of us already have plans. I mean we will be in the city, particularly those that live there anyway, but it was never really an official "meetup" before, so if it is becoming one that is cool.

I think the best idea is for everyone to show up at Oli's and knock on the door and yell "surprise! hai can you put us up! kthx!"
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:32 »

Yeah, I'm sure Oli will appreciate you typing that into a public forum.
Oh, hey Oli. 'Sup?

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:36 »

Man why do you think I didn't put in his address.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2009, 11:38 »

Because you get off on being withholding.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2009, 12:22 »

I'll drop by during the day but probably head back to Edinburgh for the actual New Years.

I think.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2009, 14:07 »

So I head out on the 21st of December, but if anyone's up for doing anything beforehand, I'm all ears!

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2009, 16:15 »

Yes, we do like to party on Hogmanay.  :-D

The George Square street party seems a wee bit over-rated though - same as the one through in Edinburgh actually.

But I'd imagine anywhere in the city centre would be good for a party. I'm personally hoping for a big bash at the Queen Margaret Union (£1 beers and vodka mixes  :-o).

And if you're looking for somewhere cheap to stay, I'd imagine the Eurohostel wouldn't be too heavily booked by now.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2009, 16:19 »

I was kinda hoping for a nice, quiet, casual meetup with a few drinks. Way more inviting than a party.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2009, 19:21 »

I want to come I want to come
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2009, 01:27 »

Yeah I don't think it was going to be a big meetup party thing, but since Jens is flying in for it I figured it would be sensible to figure out what was going on.

If you guys already have plans then I'll look for somewhere for Jens and I to stay and we can maybe meet up at some point.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2009, 08:22 »

I am going to a ceilidh.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:30 »

I am going to a ceilidh.

Doing it right.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2009, 10:10 »

Actually I just found out that said ceilidh might not have a venue.

STREET CEILIDH

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2009, 10:50 »

Best kind.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2009, 12:34 »

Actually I just found out that said ceilidh might not have a venue.

STREET CEILIDH

Doing it even better.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2009, 21:28 »

Oh I feel it prudent to point out that people coming to Scotland may not realise that while Scottish shops and things are generally open on Boxing Day while the rest of the UK is still asleep from Christmas celebrations, they are shut New Year's Day and the day after. Plan accordingly.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #17 on: 14 Oct 2009, 05:53 »

What's transport like? I've got over a week to make it back down south but Jens needs to figure out his flight dates.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #18 on: 14 Oct 2009, 06:20 »

I would dearly love to attend, but am skinter than a pocketless compulsive philanthropist.

Is there any possibility of kipping on a floor (oli seems remarkably absent from all of the "yah, okay"ing, are we sure he's in for the shebang?) or perhaps sharing a room in a hostel to drive down the costs? I will be hitchhiking up most certainly so there's no cost on that part. Oh, and I will most likely be wearing a frilly shirt, dicky bow, and braces... that is appropriate hogmanay wear, I feel?
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2009, 07:05 »

Completely appropriate.

Glasgow does have an airport, but if Edinburgh is cheaper then the train from Edinbugger is only about 45 minutes to Glasgae and not too expensive.

If you really must, the train from Manchester takes hours but is lovely, although I don't remember how much it was because when I did that my mummy paid.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2009, 07:50 »

The train from Manchester is also 52 pounds as I painfully discovered this weekend. You're probably better off catching a cheap Ryanair flight into Prestwick, which gives you a discount on train travel.

The train from Edinburgh to Glasgow is 10.30 pounds single, but the citylink bus (which runs half hourly but a lot later) is 6 pounds one way and 9 pounds return. I don't know whether that is one day or not though.

Megabus for long distance between cities is okay (I got tickets between Manchester and Glasgow for 10 pounds), I mean, the British countryside is actually pretty okay (really).

Once your in Glasgow everything is within walking distance. I'm sure you can also get hostels for about 12 pounds a month (there might be a yha hostel, which is usually pretty cheap and of fairly good quality). 

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2009, 08:08 »

I think Jens is planning on flying out of Glasgow but I don't remember the details. I was just concerned about getting to the airport in the aftermath of Hogmanay; do they have limited service on the day after New Year's Day?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2009, 13:21 »

Zodrich, if we can't find a floor, I'll try to have enough money to split cost with you in a hostel or something. I'm getting a lot more hours at work, I should be able to save a good few hundo for Hogmanay with ease. Especially if I hitchhike like you.

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.c-nic.org
« Reply #23 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:14 »

I was just concerned about getting to the airport in the aftermath of Hogmanay; do they have limited service on the day after New Year's Day?

"The Real Frequent Flyer With services up to every 10mins, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, your waiting time will reduce and your journey become hassle free."

Sunday service, which will be the most likely service pattern on the New Years Day/2nd January Public Holidays, has services every half hour or more frequently during the day.

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #24 on: 15 Oct 2009, 03:20 »

You're probably better off catching a cheap Ryanair flight into Prestwick, which gives you a discount on train travel.

Train from Prestwick Airport to Glasgow Central is £6.40 one-way, but with your airline ticket booking confirmation type thing you get 50% off so a paltry £3.20.

Trains will most likely be every hour on New Years Day/2nd January, they're every half-hour on normal Mon-Sat.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2009, 17:31 »

Roddy, darryl, khar, and myself in a hostel? Sounds like a money-saving plan.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2009, 20:49 »

And way more fun than crashing on Oli's floor.
Oli, you're welcome to join us on the floor of the hostel if you like.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2009, 04:32 »

IT'S OK JENS WE KNOW WHEN WE ARE NOT WANTED
WE WILL FIND SOMEWHERE TO STAY DO NOT FEAR
I WILL FIND US SOMEWHERE AWESOME AND WE DO NOT NEED TO ASSOCIATE WITH THESE PEASANTS

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2009, 04:41 »

What have I done :(

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2009, 05:59 »

Some rapid and simple googling has led me to this which may be very useful. Who would be interested in getting a hostel, at least for the night of the 31st and the night of the 1st? It depends what kind of quality we're looking for but I'd be happy with just a standard hostel with bunks. For example this one seems fine if we got six people.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #30 on: 19 Oct 2009, 10:49 »

I am definitely up for that - maybe we could get a mock-up of the cost per person sorted (spending cash included) so that we all have a target to work to? I warn that I won't be able to book it as I won't have the requisite all-over "dolla" until closer to the time.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:28 »

I'm happy to book providing that I am certain how many people are going, and subject of course to collateral such as your most prized possession, your kidney, other valuable item. It isn't that I think you'll all be scamming me but I'm on a limited budget so I need to know I won't be left paying for three people who don't show or whatever. The one I linked actually asks for a deposit and then you pay the rest on arrival which is great.

As for other costs, the six-people hostel is self-catered so a little bit of planning could keep that really cheap, and some of the others offer breakfast. It depends what we're planning on doing really. I definitely want to go ice skating as much as possible because frankly I need the practice, but beyond that I have no requirements at all :) I'm envisaging a chilled out kind of deal with no major plans, and something fun for new year. There's the obvious of George Square but frankly it doesn't look worth the money. Let's see what happens I guess.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2009, 13:02 »

Deposit+Arrival is the best idea, I think. It'll be easier to recover if somebody ducks out late on that way, too, right?
I only deal in cash now because of some very foolish money decisions over the past few years and paranoia regarding identity fraud, so I intend to pay for everything upon arrival.
I like the idea of the self-catering hostel. Groceries are fairly cheap and I wouldn't mind sharing at all. Sandwich making contest!
Of course, six of us in a hostel would require some degree of synchronisation in our travel plans.
For me, it's still kinda early to tell. I could either head up with May and Jens, find my own way, or ride on Zachrick's shoulders while he hitch hikes. Dan, Khar, what're your travel plans?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2009, 14:45 »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2009, 15:12 »

Jens you just made me laugh, and I have been crying all evening. Keep doing what you're doing.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #35 on: 20 Oct 2009, 05:44 »

May tell me when you are going ice skating because I want to go too.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #36 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:03 »

I will be christmassing here in bath (it is a family tradition type doohicky) but am free to be slotted into anyone's plans for heading up between then and the very manay of the hog itself. Basically I can hitchhike up whenever you want me. Also May, please PM me your address as it is quite warm in here and I think the kidney I just removed from myself to send as collateral has gone ... funny.
(On a serious note, you want we should send an ipod or some such? I am cool with that and think it is a very good idea to make people commit to this project.)

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #37 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:05 »

May apparently there is a sort of tiny rink in Georges Square that is kept up until January 7. It may or may not be full of chavs.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:26 »

Chavs on skates is basically all you get at public rinks, it's terrifying! But hopefully by that point I'll be good enough that they won't scare me (especially if I can find the money to go to the training camp in Finland!) and maybe I can even beat them up and pretend I was practising for hockey.

I don't really need collaterol since I think if someone didn't show we'd probably just not have to pay for that bed (providing of course we're all going for the hostel idea) but I do need to know how many people are wanting to do this.

Me
Jens
Zach
Darrly

Dan?
Khar (is your name Simon? I think it is Simon. Even if it isn't it now is)?

If more people want to come then this hostel has more beds! I'd prefer only to deal with the one booking though.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #39 on: 20 Oct 2009, 10:33 »

If that's the six of us, we all know each other reasonably well and we've all met at least one other of us on multiple occasions. I think six is just about a manageable number, nine plus Katie, Oli and Pickle. There's several other people I can think of in the area who haven't said anything yet, but nine is already a very intimidating number for me.
If anybody else wants to make themselves known, do that NOW so I can have time to mentally adjust. NOW!
NOW NOW NOW!
POST NOW! DO IT NOW
DON'T WAIT! ACT NOW!
What you are you waiting for? ACT NOW!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #40 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:19 »

Uh, Pickle, Oli and I are not staying in the hostel. Also chances are we will never all be in the same place at once.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:52 »

Uh, Pickle, Oli and I are not staying in the hostel. Also chances are we will never all be in the same place at once.

Yeah, I know. S'why I listed you three seperately. Nine people is a lot of people to divide time between over two or three days. I'm selfish, I know, but I want quality time with everybody and I'm very quiet in a large group dynamic. The absence of a large group of people is a huge draw for me and one of the main reasons I'm making real plans this time instead of saying "oh, sure, yeah, maybe".

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:10 »

I'm (possibly wrongly) assuming that this is turning into some form of forum meet in Glasgow then?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #43 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:58 »

You assume correctly.

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2009, 13:29 »

That is because we are all the same person.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2009, 14:46 »

I'm (possibly wrongly) assuming that this is turning into some form of forum meet in Glasgow then?

I just want to hang out with some of my friends during Hogmanay, I have absolutely no interest in meeting anybody I'm not familiar with. If that's what it turns into, I'll probably call it off and end up using the money to visit the southerners later in January instead.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #46 on: 20 Oct 2009, 14:52 »

It's not meant to sound insulting but there was never a plan for this to be a big meetup like the ones that take place in the US and Canada. For my part I am going because Jens is visiting and it's a good chance for him to see lots of Britain, and the rest of us have all (or nearly all) met at least once before. There will be a big UK meetup at some point, I'm determined about that, but this won't be it. We're only planning on being in the same place for a couple of days and it won't be too coordinated.

Where are you from? Are you from the West End? You're pretty close to me in that case, or at least closer than London, so if at some point you'd like to meet up in London I'd go for that! There are a few of us in the south at the moment.

ETA: having looked at your profile I guess you are from the West End of Glasgow. So London isn't convenient. I'll see what Jens thinks but we could maybe meet up for coffee and you could tell us about awesome places? I have no idea about a schedule yet.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #47 on: 20 Oct 2009, 14:56 »

I don't want to sound like a dick, but if that was the case, why make it a thread on a public forum?

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #48 on: 20 Oct 2009, 15:00 »

Although this is a public forum it is also where all of the people referred to in this thread congregate so it is the most logical place to have this discussion.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #49 on: 20 Oct 2009, 15:03 »

Well it was already a thing, but not a big thing. Also it is fairly easy to coordinate in a thread but not so easy to do it through PMs when there are six or seven people involved. When I started the thread I had sort of hoped we could make it into a bigger meetup but since the others had already planned it and I was joining their party, as it were, I respect that they want to keep it small.

I'm quite happy to meet up with new people, I love meeting new people, but I don't want anyone to think it will be a UK version of Chicagocon because there aren't really any plans to do lots of stuff together. I tried to word my reply carefully to give both messages at once; maybe I didn't manage too well. WestEnder I would like to meet up with you! Are there any awesome places in Glasgow that we'd probably not find on our own?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up