THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogmanay  (Read 13464 times)

WestEnder67

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Hogmanay
« Reply #50 on: 20 Oct 2009, 15:50 »

If you want to keep it small then that's totally cool. Wouldn't feel comfortable barging in on something anyway.  :-)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #51 on: 21 Oct 2009, 02:40 »

Cool enough, for some reason I got the impression that it was turning into a meet up.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #52 on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:27 »

The problem is always that a lot of the regulars (specifically meebo and Infinite Pony Debates regulars) know each other outside the forums as well. We talk regularly, know each others actual names, a couple of us have lived together for a while. This is basically where we come to hang out while not actually physically capable of hanging out. It's cool that there are new people and that they want to be a part of it but if you've just joined the boards and no one knows anything about you it's a little weird to suddenly pop up to a "meet-up" which, in actuality, is just some friends who happen to frequent the same board (it is more complex than this but you get the point yeah?).

Nothing personal, new peeps. It's just that for all we know you could be crazed, mutant, libertarian zombies with hooks for hands.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #53 on: 21 Oct 2009, 05:50 »

There is a way into this kind of thing, though. We've all heard the horror stories about meeting people off the internet which is probably why there's a level of caution but I met up with Darrly, Luke C and Will one day which was sort of my ticket to being accepted at one of the bigger meets. I guess it's the same as anything; people don't just hear that a stranger is having a party and decide to crash it, but if they get to know a couple of the people going through more informal meetings then the next time, they'll probably be invited.

It's a good point about the public forum thing though; I guess it depends on the situation? Also on the people going.

So yeah. I've basically reiterated everyone else's points: let's move onto the business of finding out what there is to do in Glasgow!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #54 on: 21 Oct 2009, 08:32 »

Get in fights?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #55 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:11 »

Don't let us stop you guys from holidaying in Glasgae. It is a great place for New Year's celebrations! The point is that there will probably not be concerted efforts to all be in the same place for long periods of time. If you are going to be in town, we might be able to end up at the same place, maybe! Who knows?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #56 on: 21 Oct 2009, 15:48 »

Hey guys guess what I saw while just walking around in Glasgow:

I wonder who that could be

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #57 on: 21 Oct 2009, 17:19 »

What the hell, that girl gets everywhere! How did this happen?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #58 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:41 »

She is also internet famous in t shirts! It is like an attractive plague.

So as far as I am aware, we have four committed hostelers and two people I haven't heard from.
Jens, Darrly, Zach and I are definitely hosteling it up (right? correct me if I'm wrong). Dan and Simon, please come in! I would like to book fairly soon so that we don't leave it too late.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #59 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:44 »

I am a definite, yes- I hope dan and simon can make it definite too (I completely missed out on their hangouts when jodie stopped over).
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

öde

« Reply #60 on: 25 Oct 2009, 17:08 »

I'll be working on new year's eve so I'm not sure how practical this would be. Does anyone know what travel is like on new year's day? Also what dates are people planning to stay?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #61 on: 26 Oct 2009, 04:29 »

Jens - those dates work for me. Liverpool is best to fly into as it's reasonably close and there's an extremely high chance that my mum will be able to drive and fetch you (I haven't asked her about that specific day but she is happy to do so in theory). I'll start working out finer details and making arrangements to try and avoid massive expense.

Dan - We were talking about the 31st and 1st, I think, in terms of the hostel. Travelling on New Year's Day is feasible, I've done it before, but New Year's Eve you have to make sure that the trains etc don't stop running too early.

So four definite, one maybe?

ETA: the hostel would be £13.33 the night of the 31st and £12 the night of the 1st. If we added an extra night it would be £13.33 for the 30th and £12 for the 2nd.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2009, 04:44 by Barmymoo »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #62 on: 26 Oct 2009, 05:29 »

Did you get my PM, Jens?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #63 on: 26 Oct 2009, 05:59 »

Splendid :)

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.c-nic.org
« Reply #64 on: 31 Oct 2009, 13:07 »

OK then, Ceilidh options:

Laurie's Bar £25 including buffet, 21:00 to 01:00

Sloan's £40 including champagne reception and 3 course meal, 20:00 to 02:00

So cheaper and a bit more down to earth, or posh it up in your finest frockery!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 31 Oct 2009, 18:48 »

I need to book the hostel in the next couple of days I think, so final numbers are four, yes?

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #66 on: 02 Nov 2009, 07:41 »

Well, I know I will be all tarted up either way. Which is a better place? As in, which will be more likely to have a bunch of stupid pissdrunk fucks all in my way, and which might not?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

öde

« Reply #67 on: 02 Nov 2009, 07:53 »

I'll see if I can get the 31st off and get back to you asap. Can you make a deposit on the place and cancel it later?

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #68 on: 02 Nov 2009, 08:23 »

Well, I know I will be all tarted up either way. Which is a better place?
I've not yet been to either place.

As in, which will be more likely to have a bunch of stupid pissdrunk fucks all in my way, and which might not?

All the stupid pissdrunk fucks all in your way will most likely be at The Ferry. That is why The Ferry was not included in the options.

Another reason to avoid The Ferry is that when we bought tickets for it a few years back, our evening was sprung into disarray when the event was cancelled because the gangplank blew away.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #69 on: 02 Nov 2009, 08:37 »

Guests can cancel their reservation free of charge up to 2 days before arrival. Deposits paid are non refundable.

I'm fairly sure, although I could be wrong, that that means that we would lose the deposit on a bed which went unused. However, the deposit is 10% of the total charge so if we stayed for two nights and you could not come, we would only lose a couple of pounds.

So book for five people? I will leave it until the end of the week and then book, so there are a few days to finalise.

öde

« Reply #70 on: 02 Nov 2009, 09:22 »

Go for it, I can pay for any charges or anything.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 02 Nov 2009, 11:41 »

OK I'll book on Saturday (which is in the next week for my budget spreadsheet; I am trying to spread out my expenditure and have already spent a fortune this week (see Halloween horror story)).

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #72 on: 04 Nov 2009, 12:08 »

So Jens and I will be staying at the hostel on the 2nd as well as the 31st and 1st, it seems. Is anyone else in? If not I shall book separately, which is fine.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #73 on: 09 Nov 2009, 06:04 »

I knew I should have booked at the weekend (so sorry guys, I forgot); the hostel I had been looking at is now full. There is an option of 4 beds in a six-bed room at the BlueSky Hostel which is a tiny bit more expensive at £15.00 per night but has free internet access.

They seem to have a lot of spaces left, and all the beds are the same price regardless of how many beds there are, but obviously the longer we leave it the more likely we are to have to be in a room with 10 strangers rather than 2 or possibly even none.

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #74 on: 18 Nov 2009, 02:42 »

For those of you looking forward to the ice-skating in George Square, construction is underway!

You can even follow Glasgow on Ice's Twitter account.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #75 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:35 »

Due to me being indecisive about booking when I hadn't heard from anyone, we are now booked into a room which has 10 beds altogether. Due to me being totally unable to count I booked four people in one transaction and am in the process of either booking one person in a new one or bumping up the bed count for the first one but I'll get it sorted.

So it's £30 per person for two nights, and you have to bring your passports as ID. They make a big point of it being a backpacker hostel so I imagine it will be fairly rowdy and not the kind of place to take posh suitcases.

öde

« Reply #76 on: 18 Nov 2009, 12:55 »

Definitely can't make it due to work ):

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #77 on: 18 Nov 2009, 15:18 »

noooooo

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #78 on: 18 Nov 2009, 17:00 »

:( that is really sad. But on the plus side (for me anyway), I no longer need to book another bed! There is always a silver lining, even if it is around the size of a 5p coin and buried in a hurricane.

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #79 on: 09 Dec 2009, 02:51 »

OK then, Ceilidh options:

Laurie's Bar £25 including buffet, 21:00 to 01:00

Sloan's £40 including champagne reception and 3 course meal, 20:00 to 02:00

My mates fancied Sloans, but when we actually got round to getting firm answers about who definitely wanted to go... it was sold out.

So we're going to Lauries. I have tickets for myself and Katie. They don't do debit cards, never mind internet tickets so I'm not sure how non-Glasgow folk could get tickets. Phone and ask if they'd let you send a cheque or something?

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #80 on: 09 Dec 2009, 17:26 »

you have to bring your passports as ID.

I don't have a passport.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #81 on: 14 Dec 2009, 02:08 »

Do you have any form of photo ID? Driving licence, college card at a pinch? I can't imagine they will refuse to honour the booking because one person has not got a passport and if they do then we will sue them :)

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #82 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:00 »

So I am getting into Queen Street station around 6pm on Monday. I don't know if anyone wants to start planning shit to do, but I know that we were talking about doing something to/for Darryl for his birthday, and since that will be Sunday evening I'd like to recommend drinking and stuff at the Uisge Beatha for live music, etc. Also, I need people to play with me lots and keep me awake that night because I have to be back at Queen Street to catch my train at 3:30am that next morning (the 4th).

Edit: Monday night actually might not see me do anything more than go somewhere for dinner with Pickle, maybe, and sleep lots. That is what I did at Oli's last time. We'll see. :/

This is eating into my savings quite a lot more than I had anticipated due to the fact that Delta Airlines no longer flies to Scotland (apparently) and there are new departure tariffs and things, so everyone will have to do without the presents I was thinking about bringing with me unless (maybe) I can get it from a grocery. Sorry.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 03:03 by calenlass »

pickle

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #83 on: 24 Dec 2009, 14:06 »

Well if there wasn't a Katie in town, I'd be planning on going to the climbing wall on Tuesday so if Katie's happy to bum about with other folk then I might still do that.

The ladyfriend has just managed to get Saturday/Sunday night shift off and is quite keen to go to the Edinburgh v Glasgow rugby union match. Tickets are £15 (£10 concession) in advance or £20 on the day. Anyone interested in watching some muscle-bound men in tight shirts run into each other?

Other than that don't have any specific plans.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #84 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:06 »

I guess I could bring a college card and a birth certificate and see if that works.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #85 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:09 »

I made a resolution to do only one thing during this trip.
"Do not die."

If we can manage this, I'll call it a good trip.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #86 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:16 »

We only need to take one passport, so don't worry if you don't have or can't find yours. Jens and I will both have ours so we're covered.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #87 on: 27 Dec 2009, 12:27 »

Queen Street Station at 6pm tomorrow, if I can actually get out of the airport. Bah.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up