THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Police Swarm Bungie Studio  (Read 17232 times)

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: Police Swarm Bungie Studio
« Reply #50 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:37 »

As for the gun control thing, most people in America are more or less of the opinion you are Jeans. Polling has shown that the majority of Americans recognize the right to own a gun yet a slight majority also favors having stricter laws or at least more tightly enforcing the ones that are already on the books.
I'm actually pretty sure that recently, it has gotten to the point where a majority don't favor stricter laws. Enforcing the ones that we already have, sure, even the NRA is for that (although it would be nice if some of them were changed so that if your gun malfunctions, the part that makes it fire gets stuck forward, and you empty a whole magazine downrange, you don't get charged with a felony for having an unregistered machinegun).

It isn't murdervibes, it is a mix of disliking a lot of people and finding guns fascinating. And no, that isn't the same thing.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #51 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:47 »

I looked and you're right; the last figure I had seen was from in '01. This kind of thing has been hovering around 50% for quite some time though so I'm not exactly confident that the sudden drop Gallup polls are showing will stick though. There's simply too many people in the middle ground on this subject to say, particularly since the polls seem to be showing that again, people want to stick with the status quo. They love their rifles but don't really see why some dude wants to buy an M-60. Maybe it could though, at least for a while; we've still had school shootings and the like despite Democrats getting some of their favorite pet laws through in the past so I could see how many people would be willing to just give up on a few of the laws. That would also make sense considering that most of the pessimism in regards to gun control is predictably coming from Republicans and to a lesser extent independents. This would make sense, particularly since guns and ammo sales tend to spike when a Democrat gets into office. A lot of people tend to stock up in such scenarios.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2009, 12:00 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

« Reply #52 on: 13 Oct 2009, 14:42 »

I noticed the stocking up. The shelves are still mostly bare around here, for the longest time nobody even had .22 ammo, there was only birdshot, lots and lots of birdshot. It is getting better at least, and it probably won't be long now until the credit card bills get to be so bad that all of the people that stocked up on 100,000 rounds of 5.56 will have to sell most of them, and the market will get flooded with ammo.

The people that don't get why someone wants an M-60 have obviously never been to Knob Creek (giant class III shoot. Short barreled rifles, shotguns, machineguns, suppressed guns, someone usually brings an m134 minigun as well, if you are particularly eager to get rid of your money).

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #53 on: 13 Oct 2009, 14:47 »

I've heard of Knob Creek gun range but never had any interest in it. One time on a road trip a guy really wanted to stop by there, but me and the other 3 guys vetoed him. You probably need a membership and shit anyway. I just don't get boners over guns or even particularly like them. I'm must a mid western boy, that's all, so I've been around them to some extent or another for most of my life.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

« Reply #54 on: 13 Oct 2009, 15:22 »

You don't need a membership as far as I can tell. The big shoots are bi-annual, the rest of the time it is just a normal range as far as I can tell.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #55 on: 13 Oct 2009, 20:11 »

although it would be nice if some of them were changed so that if your gun malfunctions, the part that makes it fire gets stuck forward, and you empty a whole magazine downrange, you don't get charged with a felony for having an unregistered machinegun).

It isn't murdervibes, it is a mix of disliking a lot of people and finding guns fascinating. And no, that isn't the same thing.

Holy Crap the M249(SAW) is famous for that. Fire too many rounds and next thing you know its stuck forward and you risk losing a finger trying to rip the belt off to stop the firing.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Nodaisho

« Reply #56 on: 13 Oct 2009, 20:13 »

Really? I never heard any complaints about that. The firing pin issue is usually with older designs (the SKS especially), are you sure the guy in question didn't just keep firing with the same barrel too long, and start cooking them off from the barrel heat?

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #57 on: 13 Oct 2009, 21:28 »

you have a good point about firing a SAW at a cyclic rate possibly overheating and cooking the rounds. We never got told the reason this happens. So i looked up runaway M249 and found a PDF on it and it states the main causes for runaway is a worn trigger sear, but can also be a result of a dirty or worn gas system. Either way the whole concept of a runaway weapon always scared the shit outta me so i made sure to only fire at a sustainable rate and to keep my weapon cleaned as if being inspected at all times. BTW our Drill Sgt lil mnemonic device for remembering to fire for only 3-4 seconds was to say the phrase 'killing a family of four" in our head. Yeah fukd up but it stayed with me.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #58 on: 14 Oct 2009, 09:06 »

Man, the army is full of shit like that.  One of my buddies served in the 101st and he was telling me all the sorts of marching jodies they had during infantry training that seemed specifically designed to encourage a murderous view.

p.s.  Machine guns are fun the first time, but the reason I shoot is not to put a lot of rounds downrange, so they kind of got old fast.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #59 on: 15 Oct 2009, 08:57 »

If I saw somebody with that thing walking into a building, if I felt compelled to all the police, I wouldn't try to identify the gun

While that is true, if the cops have any sense they simply ignore when people tell them what gun it is and just interpret the call as "the person saw a gun and is alarmed." It's like when I worked IT for a while; unless the person is someone I have previously experienced as knowledgeable about computers and/or they tell me in detail what's going on along with their diagnosis, I basically always just ignored their diagnosis and just came away from trouble reports thinking "their computer is not doing what they expect, I should go check what the issue is."

Nodaisho

« Reply #60 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:55 »

Yeah, I figure it's fun to see the effect of it one or two times, but I don't think you can measure your skill progress as well as with just a rifle.
There are SMG competitions (usually hit all of the targets in the shortest amount of time), but other than that I agree. It is completely impractical, but there is a reason people refer to it as a giggle switch.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up