THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 22 Apr 2024, 23:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favourite Podcasts  (Read 3148 times)

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
Your favourite Podcasts
« on: 18 Oct 2009, 18:04 »

(I searched (reasonably) hard, and couldn't find anything on the subject so)

My current favourite would have to be something called KMBT (Combat Music Radio) which is done by Scott Kelly of Neurosis and a bunch of friends of his.  It's been going since 2005.  It's mostly them playing cool music, but they also have a fair bit of interviews and other talking stuff.  I read in an interview that Scott Kelly plans to, hopefully, one day have this going as some sort of actual radio program.  Updates every week.

http://www.combatmusicradio.com/index.html

"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Your favourite Podcasts
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2009, 19:21 »

I have a few podcasts I subscribe to.

The only one I listen to religiously is the Savage Love Podcast, in which sex columnist Dan Savage takes calls from people and gives out advice which is catty and / or hilarious at times, but 99% of the time it's absolutely sensible and informative.

There's also the Onion Radio News. They release minute-long fake radio news reports twice a week. It's the Onion, so it's rare that you'll find one that isn't awesome in some way.

Daily Show cast member John Oliver and some other brit comic (Andy Saltzman?) release a biweekly podcast called The Bugle through the Times of London, I think. It's okay.

For movies, you can't beat Filmspotting.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2009, 19:39 »

Beats in Space
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2009, 20:18 »

This American Life.  I lost my virginity to Ira Glass.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2009, 21:05 »

I second Kveep's recommendation of ORN
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2009, 21:09 »

The Sound Of Young America.
I'll tell you more about that one tomorrow.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2009, 22:30 »

KEXP is a public music radio station based in Seattle (now broadcasting in New York too). They have various shows that span basically every genre of music known to mankind (full list here). In addition to live broadcast, they stream live online, have in-studio performances by artists local and on tour, and offer a multitude of podcasts, both audio and visual, for download.

My subscriptions are to the following 'casts:

Song of the Day = (Daily) Free song from local and non-local bands getting airplay on the station.
Music That Matters = (Biweekly) Free hour-long mixtape. Most of them are incredibly badass.
Live Performances Podcast = (Weekly) Live performances by bands in the KEXP studios, usually around 20 minutes to half an hour long. Usually includes around 4 songs and a good 15 minutes of discussion with the artist.

Linky.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2009, 07:35 »

Okay GO!

The Sound of Young America is a podcast hosted by Jesse Thorn, America's Radio Sweetheart, every week he interviews somebody:

Quote from: maximumfun.org
The Sound of Young America is a public radio show about things that are awesome. Each week on the show, host Jesse Thorn, "America's Radio Sweetheart," hosts in-depth discussions with personalities from the world of entertainment & the arts. Think of it like Conan O'Brien on public radio, or "Fresh Air," but more fun.

Doesn't sound too special, but Jesse Thorn is a genuine personality. A really likeable guy who asks really good questions. He's sharp and keeps up with the guests, who are always excellent. The interviews are always packed with discussion, tend to be really informative and entertaining and feel incredibly casual while still being very professional.
It helps that his guests are often hilarious.

The website for the Sound of Young America, maximumfun.org, hosts another podcast with him and his friend Jordan Morris.

Jordan, Jesse, Go! is a freewheeling comedy podcast about life in your twenties and everything else. Your hosts are Jesse Thorn, "America's Radio Sweetheart," and Jordan Morris, "Boy Detective.

It's loose, but the guys are so fun that it's captivating too.
Both worth checking out.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2009, 10:48 »

KEXP is a public music radio station based in Seattle (now broadcasting in New York too). They have various shows that span basically every genre of music known to mankind (full list here). In addition to live broadcast, they stream live online, have in-studio performances by artists local and on tour, and offer a multitude of podcasts, both audio and visual, for download.

This.

Edit: I also have the 'how stuff works' and 'stuff you missed in history class' podcasts. They're pretty awesome.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2009, 17:37 »

My friend recently turned me on to The Moth Podcast, whose main gambit is broadcasting "true stories, told live and without notes." Don't be discouraged by the kind of faggy name and equally faggy violin intro; I promise you it is good stuff! Listen to Jessi Klein's "Dale" and you will get the idea pretty quickly.

This American Life and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me podcasts are also weekly must-listens; the latter makes me laugh, former makes me cry.

WNYC's Radio Lab can be awesome, but also sometimes boring. Crapshoot!

[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara
Pages: [1]   Go Up