THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 5104 times)

ackblom12

Windows 7
« on: 21 Oct 2009, 13:44 »

Alright, I'll be going home to my own copy of windows 7 x64 tonight and I thought it would be a nice idea to have a thread concerning general questions about the finished products and any performance boost folks have found for it as well as any features folks have been particuarly impressed or irritated by.

From what I've used of the RC I should be quite happy with it (getting it legally and for free should help as well) but I'll get it installed and mess around with it tonight. Hopefully I'll have a real update tonight or tomorrow once I've had some time to tweak with some things.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2009, 14:23 »

I kind of want it, but as I already have a real version of Vista, I dont particularly want to pirate a different version of windows.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2009, 14:49 »

What do you mean, pirate? You can get a perfectly legitimate evaluation copy from Microsoft that will work until July next year.

Here you go.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 14:51 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2009, 15:03 »

Yeah, I've been using the RC for quite a while now. Between that and the fact that Chrome is my preferred browser, I get really ornery when forced to use other people's PCs now.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2009, 15:04 »

Windows 7 is such a leap above Vista in terms of quality that I don't even know how to describe it, and this is coming from someone who actually liked Vista. My system usage dropped a good 20% when I upgraded.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2009, 15:30 »

The RC download is gone, mind, and I don't think you can get keys any more (or if so it'll only be for a little longer). Also apparently there is a problem with onboard graphics cards in laptops, so it might be worth waiting a while until that gets sorted. (My housemate installed it yesterday to deal with his dying laptop and it looks hells of ugly now.)
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2009, 15:52 »

The RC download is gone, mind, and I don't think you can get keys any more (or if so it'll only be for a little longer). Also apparently there is a problem with onboard graphics cards in laptops, so it might be worth waiting a while until that gets sorted. (My housemate installed it yesterday to deal with his dying laptop and it looks hells of ugly now.)

It does? I've got a laptop with a NVidia 9600M GT, running on Win7 from the start, and I haven't had any problems. I could play Crysis on this thing, even though it had to be on low graphics.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2009, 16:30 »

You can still install it if you know somebody who has a copy of the RC on disc, or if you're prepared to torrent an OS (which I would usually advise against). It'll stop working properly come March though.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2009, 19:16 »

Not so sure I want an OS with an expiry date. But if I could simply trade, I would.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #9 on: 22 Oct 2009, 02:10 »

I've been running the RTM for about a month.  It's basically like Vista, but with a cooler integrated quicklaunch+taskbar and a few little tweaks here and there.  Seeing as I was already running Vista and having 0 problems I've been happy.

Only thing that I have beef with is that even the latest version of Daemon Tools don't work with it yet.  Other than that everything is tops.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2009, 03:14 »

I was told that Daemon Tools can get your computer in some pretty deep shit if you're running Win7. I've had some compatibility issues, although nothing serious, but I've been using Virtual Clonedrive nevertheless.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #11 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:31 »

I've been running win7 rtm since release (earlie august or so) and daemontools with no problems what so ever. But that is ofc no proof of anything.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Marauder_Pilot

• Plantmonster
  • Time for some thrillin' heroics.
« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2009, 07:29 »

I've been running 7 X64 since the beginning of September, and I've had no problems either. It's been fantastic all the time, except for one little thing-some games (Especially Company of Heroes), when I run them with a movie or something going on my second monitor, will give a 'Your system is running slow, downgrade the visual themes?' popup, despite the fact that no, it's not running slow (CPU usage at about 50%). And I can't make it go away, despite clicking the 'go away forever' option.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2009, 06:06 »

I've been running 7 X64 since the beginning of September, and I've had no problems either. It's been fantastic all the time, except for one little thing-some games (Especially Company of Heroes), when I run them with a movie or something going on my second monitor, will give a 'Your system is running slow, downgrade the visual themes?' popup, despite the fact that no, it's not running slow (CPU usage at about 50%). And I can't make it go away, despite clicking the 'go away forever' option.
Oh yes, I had the same thing once. I just went with whatever it suggested me and let it alter the color scheme or something, but after I noticed nothing different in performance, I tried to set it back to where it was, but I have no idea where that option is. Took the Control Panel apart completely, it's nowhere to be found. Is the actual name of the thing it alters 'visual themes'?

But what does it actually do? I don't remember much from what happened when I clicked OK.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2009, 09:02 »

I can't get Daemon running on 7 either, but I just switched over to Alcohol 120% and haven't had any problems with it.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2009, 10:24 »

Thus far x64 has been running like a dream. Even without some tweakings my CPU usage has improved dramatically from Vista, and if my last PC was a good comparison from XP SP3 to the RC, that was about on par with XP. I'm curious to see how the full release of 7 compares to XP after a few tweaks and SP1.

Like other the only thing I haven't been able to run on Win 7 has been Daemon tools. Default drivers have run every single piece of hardware I've attempted thus far.

Sleep and wake up time, boot up time and all that has increased pretty dramatically on this OS. I think my total wake up time is 4 - 6 seconds. Shut down is about 6 - 8 seconds. Powering on is around 25 - 30 seconds.

There are also the nice little additions like the Snipping Tool. You can basically have already cropped images of anything on your screen without having to use print screen and paint. Just use the tool , highlight your section and it makes a .jpg immediately. I mean, yeah it's a small detail, but it's a pretty great little time saving program.

For anyone who has ever had to make a tutorial for anything on a computer ever, Problem Steps Recording is amazing. You start it up, it takes a screen shot every time you click a button. Highlights ant changes that were made from the last picture and saves itt o a file. Go in and delete unnecessary images and you now have a perfect tutorial within about a minutes after you went through the steps yourself. It's a huge time saver for things like that.

More will probably come later.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2009, 10:59 by ackblom12 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up