THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Imaginatorium of Dr. Parnassus  (Read 13786 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
The Imaginatorium of Dr. Parnassus
« on: 19 Oct 2009, 16:55 »

Has anyone else seen it?

Was anyone else as extremely underwhelmed as I was? The acting was cringeworthy at times, the story was pretty weak, the only thing that made up for it was that some of the images were stunning.

If this is supposed to be Heath Ledger's last film (which I think is what a lot of the marketing ran on), I would have been a lot happier with The Dark Night.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
Re: The Imaginatorium of Dr. Parnassus
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2009, 17:15 »

There was a place where we used to discuss this movie.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2009, 17:54 »

Oh hey, I searched for Dr. Parnassus instead of Doctor Parnassus would explain why that didn't show up.

Silly me.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2009, 18:28 »

Should've just searched for "Parnassus".

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2009, 18:39 »

Wait, shouldn't it have appeared anyway cause Parnassus was in the search?

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2009, 21:08 »

Probably used quotes.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2009, 22:27 »

sad to hear it sucks. I don't get why people are upset if someone starts a similar thread. Is there a finite amount of space on the internet so we must condense all of our topics. Just seems silly to me. Why not start a new thread my old one was... well old, why not refresh it.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2009, 02:04 »

Wait, shouldn't it have appeared anyway cause Parnassus was in the search?
Probably used quotes.

It didn't show up and I didn't use quotes. I don't know why it didn't show up, I was just happy that search results show up. For some reason, whatever computer or browser I am on, searching this forum has always been a pain and usually results in a 'page could not be opened because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection' error. Like right now when I try just searching Parnassus.

But, really, I agree with Aurjay. The page wasn't on the front page of this forum anymore (and I didn't really think that this subforum moved really fast), so why is it that big of a deal?
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 02:08 by StaedlerMars »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2009, 02:33 »

That may have been the thing? I feel like my expectations were probably just a bit too high.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:13 »

I'll probably see it but frankly everything I've ever seen of Terry Gilliams has been pretty dull. I don't think I've actively enjoyed many of his films, I'm only in it for Ledger, who's always delivered some pretty solid performances (check out Two Hands if you have the chance).

Also I'd just like to add that whenever I've run a search for something on this forum it has not come up, even when I'm searching the exact thread title (because I remember it) and I always end up having to search through the previous posts of someone whom I know has posted in that thread. Basically if someone there isn't a thread about something on the first page of the sub-forum then starting a new thread is A-OK in my book.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2009, 09:17 »

Yeah, same as Jimmy the search function for this forum has never worked forme. I don't know why exactly but seems to be incredibly inconsistent between folks.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:10 »

I'll probably see it but frankly everything I've ever seen of Terry Gilliams has been pretty dull. I don't think I've actively enjoyed many of his films, I'm only in it for Ledger, who's always delivered some pretty solid performances (check out Two Hands if you have the chance).

Gilliam is really hit or miss with me.  He has some crazy good films and some really boring ones, but at least his visuals are always fantastic.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:22 »

Yeah, definitely hit or miss. But his hits really hit.

Brazil? Fear and Loathing? Hell yeah.

and then uh...Time Bandits? I remember liking it when i was a kid but haven't seen it in so long; it might be terrible, i don't know.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:29 »

I actually didn't care for Fear and Loathing at all, but I'll substitute 12 Monkeys.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:39 »

he did 12 Monkeys?!?!?! i did not know that.

and that's one of my favorite movies. huh
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:41 »

It didn't show up and I didn't use quotes. I don't know why it didn't show up, I was just happy that search results show up. For some reason, whatever computer or browser I am on, searching this forum has always been a pain and usually results in a 'page could not be opened because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection' error. Like right now when I try just searching Parnassus.

I always get that connection error.  Usually have to refresh a few times and even then it doesn't take me to the exact post I wanted.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:44 »

Ugh I hated 12 Monkeys... then again I was one of the only people who thought Brothers Grimm, while fairly stupid, was enjoyable.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2009, 13:00 »

Fear and Loathing?
he did 12 Monkeys?

Holy shit I had no idea. That pushes him up pretty high in my book.

Good to know it's not just my luck that won't let me search these here forums.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2009, 17:57 »

The first half of fear and loathing was great, then it just got really dull for some reason. Granted I tend not to like drug-culture films and I get bored of them quickly. 12 Monkeys was ok, not brilliant. Again, it dragged. That's basically how I see Gilliams films. Awesome first half, boring second half, averages out to not too bad but nothing special.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2009, 18:22 »

sad to hear it sucks. I don't get why people are upset if someone starts a similar thread. Is there a finite amount of space on the internet so we must condense all of our topics. Just seems silly to me. Why not start a new thread my old one was... well old, why not refresh it.

Actually, there is a finite amount of space on the webs.  There are only so many servers and they only have so much storage space.  That said, such storage space is pretty gosh darn cheap nowadays.  That said, people create new content at an obscene rate and those servers have to sort through all the content they contain all the time so, in fact, it makes a lot of sense to be parsimonious.*

* That means "stingy".

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2009, 19:00 »

By the way, who got upset?  I was just pointing out there was another thread on the subject, in case it we would rather use that one or even just to review what was said about the movie (I'm glad I did so, too, because I was just going to retype something that I already said in the other one, which would be redundant).  I think we're all happy to use this thread.

I felt that 12 Monkeys was cool pretty much all the way through.  I never got through Fear and Loathing, so I don't know if it changed anywhere along the way.  I just couldn't find any reason to keep watching it.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2009, 21:16 »

Did you ever read the book?  I've been curious to know if people who didn't like the book liked the movie and vice versa.

Also I will mention for the umpteenth time and the sake of pride that my uncle has a bit part in 12 Monkeys as the mental patient who talks about the Florida Keys.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar
Pages: [1]   Go Up