THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 15:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reboot!  (Read 4535 times)

Faker

• Furry furrier
Reboot!
« on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:14 »

From Empire Online

It's a great day for anyone who watched TV cartoons in the mid- to late-1990s. ReBoot, the world's first CGI animated series and one of the most barmily inventive shows ever to call itself kid's entertainment, is being set up for not one film, but an entire trilogy.

The plot of the series was set in a city called Mainframe, where binomes and sprites go about their business and live their digital lives. The chief dangers came from the gigantic game cubes (not to be confused with GameCubes) which would descend on a section of the city. At that point, sprite guardian Bob and others would battle to beat the User, lest the User win and that entire neighbourhood be destroyed as a result. Further threats came from the evil Web, and dangerous enemies like Hexadecimal, Megabyte and (later) Gigabyte.

The series started off quite bright and cheery, with lots of pop culture references and kid-friendly characters, but got much, much darker in its third series and finally went off the air. The plans to reboot the series and take it to the big screen are complex - Rainmaker is teaming up with a comic site called Zeros To Heroes and asking five undiscovered writers to work up story ideas, which fans will then have the chance to comment on and get involved in proving. In August, fans will choose the winning pitch and a web comic will come out, based on that idea, later this year, with a film following after that.

It's a complex plan, but one that could fit in well with ReBoot's still-loyal fan base. And after the CG bubble has well and truly burst, it might be just the time to go back to basics and build a new mainframe.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Kaktion

Re: Reboot!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2007, 08:16 »

I heard about this and that's just wonderful. I grew up on ReBoot and to see it redone for the big screen, with today's CGI, is a dream come true. I hope it works out.

TrekkieTechie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2007, 11:27 »

*coughs* I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse me, I need to go change my pants.

This is exciting beyond all words.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2007, 11:47 »

The guy who did Megabyte's voice is dead now, though. What the hell would Reboot be without Megabyte?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2007, 13:33 »

I nominate Ralph Fiennes to do Megabyte's voice for the movies.  For Fong, I nominate the ghost of Pat Morita.

As for the script competition, I cannot support anything that will encourage Bob/Adult Enzo slash fiction.  Sorry.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2007, 16:25 »

I remember reading a while back that the guy who did Megabyte's voice was dead. 'Twas a bummer.

As for the movies, I want to get excited about it, but I'm old and jaded by too many things that should have turned out cool but weren't.  So I'll just wait and see.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Kaktion

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2007, 18:49 »

The guy who did Megabyte's voice is dead now, though. What the hell would Reboot be without Megabyte?
Get David Kaye of Beast Wars Megatron fame. They were close enough, weren't they? Really, it'd be worth it to get a character as metal as Megabyte to be played by the voice actor for a villain as cool as BW Megatron.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2007, 02:17 »

A well-deserved     [size=8]fuck yes[/size].
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2007, 03:09 »

Is this going to be a cinema film, TV film, or straight to DVD film?

Oh, who cares, this is awesome.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2009, 00:54 »

Hey, would you look at that

A super teaser
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:08 »

Alpha numeric, man.
I read the first issue of the relaunch comic, but then I forgot my log-in details and didn't think about registering another account. I figure I'll catch up on the entire thing when the first movie's nearly done.
I'm kinda worried that the last movie ended with a really bad cliffhanger and the first issue of the comic only did a rushed job of explaining what happened afterwards. If the new movie follows the comic, then anybody who missed it isn't going to have much of a clue about what happened to Mainframe over the past decade.
I'm still amazed this is being made, anybody who grew up watching the show as a kid is in their twenties by now, and there's so much backstory and complex relationships that there's virtually no chance of picking up a newer, younger generation of fans unless cartoon network begins airing the old seasons again, in proper sequence. This project is just not likely gonna net any profit and "doomed to go bust" is practically written all over it. But the only fans more dedicated than Reboot fans that I've ever seen are Trekkies, and y'all know how supportive those guys are. I think these guys are gonna just make it almost entirely thanks support from the existing fanbase.

I got high hopes. The creators have an overwhelming dedication to their fans and a ton of respect for the characters. The entire time this has been happening, those guys have been saying 'this is gonna be hard and expensive but we really want to continue the story for anybody who liked it ten years ago'.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2009, 05:51 »

God wouldn't it be awesome if someone picked up and showed the whole series again? I don't know, 16 seconds of a trailer with pretty dated looking visuals isn't enough for me to believe this is really something to get excited about yet. I'll believe it when I see a real trailer.

Now excuse me, I have to go figure out what my password was for their website again.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2009, 06:53 »

I dunno, man. Rainmaker basically is allowing fans to determine the direction the franchise is taking. Fans have decided 'faithful to the original, continuing the same story with only a slightly updated look' and that's the direction they seem to be heading.
It probably won't look amazing, but neither did the original show. It's just a continuation of that. Hopefully. More of the same for the people who want more of the same, and if you're one of those people there's no reason not to be excited yet. The comic and the way they handled it was a step in the right direction.

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2009, 10:07 »

I have to go change my shorts.

And possibly bring emergency pants if I read this thread again.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2009, 10:18 »

I'm just saying I'll believe it when I see it, a 16 second trailer of nothing isn't seeing it.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up