THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank god for Walmart  (Read 16212 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Thank god for Walmart
« Reply #50 on: 29 Oct 2009, 10:35 »

I'm torn.  Do I make fun of people who wear ridiculous clothing and put ridiculous shit on their cars, or do I hate people who do that?  Someone tell me what to do!
The concept of "taste" is a luxury. Most people have other more immediate concerns, especially the economically deprived.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #51 on: 29 Oct 2009, 10:46 »

I love this site cuz i grew up in a poor area of Florida and you get to see this all the time. What amazes me is that there aren't more rebel flags but whatever. I don't feel any more self righteous than the next person to me its just funny. I don't pick on fat people for being fat and i don't pick on poor people being poor. I pick on stupid people being stupid and honestly still see no problem with that. If you want to make your car an advertisement to a brand go for it, but im gonna laugh. If you wear extremely tight clothing then yes im gonna laugh. Leotards funny, Muscle clothes also funny. Im not saying everyone needs to look the same but some people take their styles to a whole new extreme. That knows no boundaries. Rich women with too much makeup and jewelry is also funny to me. Maybe i find the funny in the mundane but im definitely not too uptight or PC to realize it.    
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #52 on: 29 Oct 2009, 11:06 »

What amazes me is that there aren't more rebel flags but whatever.

There are people in Plattsburgh, NY who have the Stars and Bars flying proudly on their trucks and outside of their houses and apartments.

...I dunno I guess it's just me.  I have worked with other people who have been able to laugh at some of the more unique specimens of humanity that walked in the door but I have never been able to.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #53 on: 29 Oct 2009, 11:41 »

Re: Fat People On This Site

(An opinion of a fat, vaguely fashion concious girl)

A lot of times they aren't so much making fun of the fact that these people are over weight, they are making fun of their choice of clothes. Some posted saying they are making fun of them for wearing tight clothes, and its not so much that they are wearing tight clothes, but that they are wearing too tight clothes. If you are 280 lbs, you should attempt to squeeze into a size 2. If you know you've got a gut, you should but the appropite clothes to cover it. Its not that difficult to find something to cover your god damn fat rolls. For cheap. For amazingly cheap even. Goodwill sells plus sized clothes. So does Walmart. Buy them. In your size.

I am an overweight vaguely fashionable girl, dating an overweight not really caring at all about fashion dude. We get by ok. We dress alright. We look good. If we can do it, then other fat people can too.

And hell, being poor has little to do with it too. Its called sales. Shopping around. Thrift stores. It isn't super difficult to find clothes that are fashionable and cheap.

Besides, I used to know a very well off family that shopped at walmart. Its cheap!

Beyond that, I know nothing of the Romans.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #54 on: 29 Oct 2009, 12:59 »

What amazes me is that there aren't more rebel flags but whatever.

I think that's too generic for these guys. I'm pretty sure I saw a lady with "REBEL" in red white and blue tattooed on the back of her neck though.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #55 on: 29 Oct 2009, 13:53 »

Maybe these people are all actually hipsters, and they are doing that whole "look at me! I'm ironic! Lols!" thing.

I once saw this dude are this high class art bar wear a too large basket ball jersey, a side ways trucker hat with an "ironic" statement, a rat tail, and some lines shaved into the side of his head.  And this was a fancy art bar. Not exactly the place white trash hangs out.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #56 on: 29 Oct 2009, 14:09 »

maybe he was lost
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Candle

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #57 on: 29 Oct 2009, 15:26 »

it's cool to laugh, but it's also cool to understand.

i think that sometimes it is actually important to realize that poor people are indeed a product of our society. chill the fuck out... i'm not attacking anyone or saying that you don't know this already because you're ignorant and i'm enlightened: all i am saying is that i live in a poor ass part of the country, and i see people like this all the time. site doesn't seem so funny when you live primarily around people like this. chances are, they're either minimum-wage working-class, or just pulling in straight-up wellfare. Either way, chances are, they are blindly following their socioeconomic system right down to every corrupt ideology. Americaaaaa, Americaaa, blah blah, Eagles, Flags and Uncle Sam... so it goes!

i just think it's important to realize we should not point the finger at these folks for taking up all our tax money or any such stupid shit-- nor do I think this is what the site is necessarily doing... however, it is looking at poor people in a solely-derogatory light. imagine this was the pre-feminist revolution west(though some will argue that this false sense of equality is more a detrimental cause than it is a solution) and there was a site dedicated solely to making women look like assholes. that shit would not be cool. Yeh, there's some poor folk who dress decent, but this site isn't depicting any.

FINALLY,
Y E S,
this is looking far too deeply into a little site dedicated to giving you a chuckle out of the deplorable conditions of "white-trash"-America. but this isn't what tommy posted earlier. what tommy posted could have easily been shrugged off as a "Yeh, i guess that's true. kind of fucked up." successfully allowing the thread to die because of its relatively low-merit to anything at all.

sorry about grammatical errors and the like, i'm no english major and i am pretty well stoned. i guess i mostly felt like ranting, since all you guys are probably already aware of such things.

tl;dr version: i just don't see how pointing out why shit's fucked up is such a bad thing compared to just laughing at some dudes cottage-cheese ridden ass-cheeks. i mean, dude/tte/s like this are the reason that bud-light is the best selling beer in the US. if that's not sad i don't know what is!

that's just like, my opinion, man...
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2009, 15:29 by Candle »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #58 on: 29 Oct 2009, 15:30 »

site doesn't seem so funny when you live primarily around people like this.

While I agree with everything else you said and want no part in any kind of debate, I just wanted to point out that this is wrong.

I see these people all the time. I've seen their meth labs burning on the side of the highway by my house.
Website is still funny. Sorry.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Candle

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #59 on: 29 Oct 2009, 15:32 »

just my opinion, i guess.

i really don't find the site that funny. Not trying to be a dick, nor am I being all "i am a saint guys, no really. i just feel the pain of everyone".

it could also just be that it's not my kind of humor.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #60 on: 29 Oct 2009, 17:08 »

NEWSFLASH:

Not only poor people shop at Wal Mart!

Crazy, isn't it? I think it's rather shitty of everyone to automatically assume that people who shop at Wal Mart only shop there because they are poor. Wal Mart is convient. Wal Mart is cheap. Wal Mart has lots of stuff. Wal Mart is not just for the poor.

That is what K mart is for, gosh.

Anyway, I grew up around this shit too. I still find it funny.

Being poor doesn't mean that you have to dye your hair green, or wear gold stretch pants with camo, or paint your car with Ralph Lauren logos. A good deal of these people obviously put time, effort, and, yes, money into these looks. They are obviously proud of them.

Basically, I look at this site and laugh because I find their outfits silly and outlandish. Maybe if they saw pictures of what I'd wear, they'd laugh and think my clothes are outlandish and silly. And that's fine, because who the fuck cares? Its just fucking clothes and personal taste. If you are going to be offended that someone thinks you look silly you need to fucking grow up.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #61 on: 29 Oct 2009, 17:18 »

The reason that this has become such a Thing to me, however, is that what makes this site funny has absolutely nothing to do with rich or poor, and I resent people smugly stating the bleeding obvious at me when even a cursory inspection of the subject matter reveals that issues of wealth and privelidge are at best only tangential to the actual conversation.

To be honest, I didn't really look too hard at the site but I did peruse the front page and- as stated many times already- most of the pictures on there are not of people who look poor. To the contrary, they appear to have put quite some time, effort, and often money in to their purple metallic bodysuit/bright green ponytail/obscene tattoos/gigantic rims.

It's entirely understandable to think that a site that focusses on ridiculing Wal-Martians would be largely dedicated to picking on poor people but that just isn't the case here. There's nothing wrong with trying to have an intelligent conversation but it'd be nice if that's what actually happened instead of a bunch of lecturing based completely misplaced, kneejerk, White middle-class liberal guilt.

EDIT: yeah, anyway, Emaline has reached into the gooey confines of my brainmeats and made my ideas sound nicer than I could've. Also she is a faster typer. Thank you Emaline.

EDIT EDIT: *typist. Derp.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2009, 17:24 by David_Dovey »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 29 Oct 2009, 17:26 »

A lot of times they aren't so much making fun of the fact that these people are over weight, they are making fun of their choice of clothes. Some posted saying they are making fun of them for wearing tight clothes, and its not so much that they are wearing tight clothes, but that they are wearing too tight clothes. If you are 280 lbs, you should attempt to squeeze into a size 2. If you know you've got a gut, you should but the appropite clothes to cover it. Its not that difficult to find something to cover your god damn fat rolls. For cheap. For amazingly cheap even. Goodwill sells plus sized clothes. So does Walmart. Buy them. In your size.

I think with me, whenever I see people dressed like that I automatically think there's something severely wrong. It's a cultural thing I suppose, a lot of the pictures are credited as coming from the warmer parts of the US and since I live in Northern England revealing clothing isn't such a standard thing. The few times I have seen obese people wearing incredibly tight clothes like that they've almost always had serious mental health problems, and add on the fact that my girlfriend used to work in an obesity clinic my mind also runs straight to thoughts of gastric bands. So I guess where Americans just see stupidly dressed people I'm automatically seeing mentally ill people who're going to need terrifying surgery.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #63 on: 29 Oct 2009, 17:27 »

If you are going to be offended that someone thinks you look silly you need to fucking grow up.

Speaking of which, this whole thread is reminding me how I used to occasionally wear offensive or strange clothing on purpose just to see what it would feel like to be stared at and judged all day. I think the best was the time I wore an intimidating ensemble including a shirt with a huge "Death From Above" logo and, besides getting the expected dirty looks, I was actually stopped by one person who was concerned about my mental health and counseled me to seek Jesus. lol the logo is from Starship Troopers!

I stopped doing this in New York, because I could literally be walking around with a werewolf mask and nobody would even care.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #64 on: 29 Oct 2009, 20:03 »

Yeah. I have to say that for the first while, though, you always think your fly is down. Why else would people be staring at you all the time?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #65 on: 29 Oct 2009, 20:20 »

Yeah, I figure I can laugh because I've worn some pretty ridiculous shit.  Sometimes I actually thought I looked kinda good in an avant-garde way.  Of course, when a friend tells you that you look like the offspring of Hugh Hefner and Tank Girl, you can only imagine what strangers have to say.

öde

« Reply #66 on: 29 Oct 2009, 20:31 »

Yeah. I have to say that for the first while, though, you always think your fly is down. Why else would people be staring at you all the time?

I served a table of 18 people with my fly open once. I am good at my job.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #67 on: 29 Oct 2009, 21:13 »

How is this any different from mocking a bunch of teenagers who spend their disposable income on black v-neck t-shirts, straight-irons, girl jeans, MicroKorgs and AutoTune plugins?
I don't get this, what's wrong with mocking a bunch of teenagers who spend their disposable income on black v-neck t-shirts, straight-irons, girl jeans, MicroKorgs and AutoTune plugins?
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #68 on: 29 Oct 2009, 21:34 »

Nothing! Nothing is wrong with mocking that fucking Ralph Lauren car either. Or anybody who has anything to do with Ralph Lauren in general.

Fuck Ralph Lauren, is what I am saying.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #69 on: 29 Oct 2009, 21:41 »

It's Ralph Lauren? Straight up I just thought the dude loved polo.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #70 on: 29 Oct 2009, 21:50 »

Ugh that's the worst! Especially because I generally look like a sweetie mc good girl, I got really confused. I had my septum pierced at 12ga and people kept giving me looks like I was terrifying. I didn't like that. The other time these little old ladies at a coffee shop were all "hmm, where is this knitting store?" talking amongst themselves, so I politely interjected and told them where they could find the store. They all gave me the stink eye so bad I almost threw up the horns. Later I realized that I had a shirt on that says "I WANT YOU TO DIE", a band shirt from Captured! by Robots
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #71 on: 29 Oct 2009, 22:13 »

Same. I was kinda wondering why you would trick out a car for polo though; it isn't really the boldest sport out there.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #72 on: 30 Oct 2009, 00:38 »

I just realized I neglected to make a Chip The Ripper joke/reference.

... There you go.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #73 on: 30 Oct 2009, 01:22 »

Same. I was kinda wondering why you would trick out a car for polo though; it isn't really the boldest sport out there.

CAR POLO DEMOLITION DERBY.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #74 on: 30 Oct 2009, 05:38 »

Speaking of which, this whole thread is reminding me how I used to occasionally wear offensive or strange clothing on purpose just to see what it would feel like to be stared at and judged all day.

When I was in highschool I did the same thing, but it was kind of a test for myself, I think. I wore really stupid things to make sure I still didn't give a shit about what people thought or said about me.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up