THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for new Metal Music  (Read 75159 times)

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
Re: Looking for new Metal Music
« Reply #200 on: 19 Jul 2009, 18:21 »

actually, there are at least a half dozen Nu-metal bands that really kick ass. (IMO) Dry Kill Logic, Primer 55's newer stuff, American Head Charge, Flaw,... and I think Cky and Black Light Burns fit in that vauge genre too. the good shits out there, we just gotta dig.

as far as metalcore goes... I like Killswitch engage. that is the limit of my knowledge. :-P

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #201 on: 20 Jul 2009, 05:09 »

It does seem to mostly be about what it's acceptable for a metalhead to like rather than what's technically metal. Which is fine really if that's what they want to do,

Mmmmm Fair enough. Although Grindcore is "more metal" than Metalcore anyway :P except primitives albums like Scum by Napalm Death and the likes.
And I agree with the thing I just quoted. It's ok if that's your purpose but it seems like the staff from MA is so... Like if they don't really have a solid opinion about a subject and everyone has his/her own opinion and that's why there are bands that shouldn't be there and viceversa. O well... I just use MA for basic info about a band and for good links for their myspace and other things. The only metal site I really like is Metal Storm.

Having place thanks to another page here are more recommendations [PS: Some stuff might not be metal but I recommend it anyway because it's more likely to be good for a metal-listener than to other people]:

- The Angelic Process Nah... The band isn't really religious, but a huge heavy sound of drone with very special vocals. You see, buried in the fuzzy music and production there are some of the most cristal clear and beautiful female vocals I've ever heard. A review I was reading puts it like this: someone trapped and being dragged down the slopes of the vulcano, screaming for help. Yet they remain very clean and pure, even when she is screaming on the top of her lungs. And because of the infinite purity, it sounds so unnatural, so unreal. This band was: M. Dragynfly and K. Angylus, husband and wife. Unfortunately the band is no more since Angylus died a for about a year ago. It really sucks when bands disband for something tragic like the death of someone, specially if they were brilliant in what they did.

- Dark Lunacy Talking about Fleshgod Apocalypse maked me remember another band [less brutal though] that plays some kind of [melodic] Death metal with some really nice classical touch on it. The music is really emotional. The lyrics are usually about WWII but not on a politic level. Their focus is on suffering, fear, hope and desperation like if the lyrics were written by a civil looking at the city being completely destroyed and people around dying of cold and starve.

- Darkspace Black metal from the space jajaja. But really, this is serious business. This is how atmospheric Black metal should be, like a huge black hole that would take you to another place, like a supernova exploting right in front of you. The keyboards at times sounds really "alien" and gives a psychodelic feel along with the repetitive riffs, but don't worry because this is not monotone, it's a good trip. The two guitarrist and bassist are vocalists here, giving some kind of a "vortex of dying screams". This band does what most Depressive/Ambient/Suicidal Black Metal fails to do. It is a preview of death, as Atheism perceives it. No thoughts, no feelings, no emotions, nothing.

- Darkthrone... I don't know if it's neccesary to put a video for this band because everybody who knows their Black metal knows about this guys. Like the lyrics says: "So pure, so cold" But the ones that just know their black metal stuff should totally check out the Black/rock 'n' roll stuff they are doing know, it's really fun to listen to.

- Deathspell Omega Probably my favorite Black Metal band atm. One of the best among the so called orthodox Black metal scene. For the ones who don't know what the scene is about, it's satanism on a metaphysical level and other theological topics. lyrically and ideologically more thorough than most Satanic black metal bands. Some might find it pretentious, I think it's brilliant... Just check out the lyrics from the song I put here. The band must have witnessed pure madness. The roaring "war-speech" in the track is so full of a thunderous power it is beyond all imagination. And the drums are...  frightening because the muscular intensity sounds almost inhuman.

I hope some people will like this stuff.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2009, 05:13 by Mr. Doctor »

Be My Head

« Reply #202 on: 20 Jul 2009, 13:02 »

Mr. Doctor, I really think you would like Peste Noire as far as new black metal goes. They're also French, and while they sound nothing like DSO, they are in my opinion very creative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMGO2ZN3Sto

The frontman, Famine, is inspired by Medieval French poetry, they have some really cool sounding stuff.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #203 on: 20 Jul 2009, 13:06 »

Mr. Doctor, I really think you would like Peste Noire as far as new black metal goes. They're also French, and while they sound nothing like DSO, they are in my opinion very creative.

Jejeje, Peste Noire had members from Amesoerus and also Neige from Alcest... Those two being one of my favorite bands, so yeah... I know about Peste Noire  :-D. Damn, France is really kicking ass when it comes to BM.

It's the intention that counts though, thanks!

Be My Head

« Reply #204 on: 20 Jul 2009, 13:09 »

You could also check out the Les Légions Noires scene in French black metal, they were earlier on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_L%C3%A9gions_Noires

I've heard some Belketre and Vlad Tepes, it's good if you like raw black metal.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #205 on: 20 Jul 2009, 13:26 »

I knew about them as well  :lol: ... I blame this situation of mine, moved to another town for about 3 weeks and not knowing a soul makes you spend too much time on the internet.

I don't really like that kind of raw black metal. Vlad Tepes sounds really heavy metal if you take off the production and not really my kind of heavy/black XP. Mütiilation on the other hand was good enough, but still... that kind of raw BM has two options: being great or being meh. The only bands that sound good enough imo are Mütiliation and Torgeist.

Moo Cow

• Plantmonster
  • When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose?
« Reply #206 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:46 »

Try some of these

- Within Temptation
- Evanesces

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #207 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:50 »

Well ... I finally tried Amesoeurs.

That's actually all that's positive about that disc. I tried it.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #208 on: 21 Jul 2009, 11:31 »

As an aside, After the Burial puts on a sick show.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

edwinalink

« Reply #209 on: 21 Jul 2009, 13:19 »

Try some of these

- Within Temptation
- Evanesces

while I have the complete works of both of those bands on my Ipod, I feel the need to smack you. :x

Moo Cow

• Plantmonster
  • When a cow laughs, does milk come out her nose?
« Reply #210 on: 21 Jul 2009, 15:18 »

Try some of these

- Within Temptation
- Evanesces

while I have the complete works of both of those bands on my Ipod, I feel the need to smack you. :x

Smack if you must, just be gentle ;)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #211 on: 21 Jul 2009, 15:58 »

Well ... I finally tried Amesoeurs.

That's actually all that's positive about that disc. I tried it.

Jjajaja well, this time I can't discuss with you because even if I love Amesoeurs, they are still a love or hate band.
half of people I know despise that band and the othe half of the people love them
Good that you tried though.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #212 on: 22 Jul 2009, 00:21 »

Thank you. Tried to find Peste Noir, but they didn't have it, much to my surprise. Anything else black I missed so far in this thread and need to check?

Also: I own everything Within Temptation has put out as well. I like 'em. Evanescenescenescececse .... not so much.
My Art.

edwinalink

« Reply #213 on: 22 Jul 2009, 01:01 »

yeah, I really wouldn't mind if evanescence... evanesce-d... :-(

but that may be do to the fact my itunes Shuffler thinks every 5th song (of 500 or so albums) needs to be evanescence... and now I wanna gut amy lee...

so..
 that may contribute!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #214 on: 22 Jul 2009, 01:11 »

What a strange bias to have, for an iPod. Maybe some Goth chick hexed it?
My Art.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #215 on: 22 Jul 2009, 03:08 »

Anything else black I missed so far in this thread and need to check?

Mmmm From all the stuff I've put so far from page 2 until now I just recomended Burzum, Darkspace, Darkthrone and Deathspell Omega. And I guess you know about most of them XP. I will put more stuff... I'm just in the middle of the D ;)

Be My Head

« Reply #216 on: 22 Jul 2009, 05:41 »

The only places I've seen selling Peste Noire CDs have been online and at a specialty record store...so, yeah. It's always a great idea to order stuff directly from the label with BM.

http://transcendentalcreations.com/distribution.php?cat=5

8th one down is what you want.

edwinalink

« Reply #217 on: 22 Jul 2009, 08:04 »

What a strange bias to have, for an iPod. Maybe some Goth chick hexed it?

well, I have an assload of "goth" type music, so unless this goth chick is punishing me with it... she's really only hurting herself!

Theriandros

« Reply #218 on: 26 Oct 2009, 14:11 »

Any good stuff out there with clean (or at least growl/mutter/whatever-free) vocals? I've not been able to find anything I like past a number of metal groups with female singers and Neue Deutsche Harte (because they actually like singers with deep voices). Also: Classic/power-metal-sounding male vocals bug the hell out of me. About the only man in metal (past NDH) I have found that I like to hear is Marco Hietala (Nightwish, Tarot, Northern Kings), and him only on certain tracks.

(And eternal thanks to that guy who posted Baroness ~ Rays on Pinion in this thread)

edwinalink

« Reply #219 on: 26 Oct 2009, 18:49 »

Dude, Check Charon/Poisonblack out. they sing pretty clean... but Avoid a Dead Heavy Day by Poisonblack, that singer just sucks.

kraemandrummer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • the music freaks here make me feel like a loser
« Reply #220 on: 27 Oct 2009, 00:26 »

if no one mentioned them

Khoma - they're like post metal meets Radiohead meets Post-hardcore....I don't really know what the fuck to call them but I love them. Tsunami is the better of their two albums, but is the harder one to find. I will be uploading it to mediafire sometime soon though and will post it here later.

Gris - Il etait un Foret - you may consider this a rip off of like 4 other black metal bands. I don't, I find it a superb depressive black metal album and everyone should listen to it.

Obscura - Anticosmic Overload - Perhaps my favourite Death metal album of all time, itis my favourite of this year.

Terrorhorse - FIrst EP - it's available for free at their website - super-technical death metal from my Home town (yes I'm whoring, but I only whore bands I actually like)
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,19792.2450.html
(this is the page of the Mediaf!ire thread I was last on :))

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #221 on: 27 Oct 2009, 01:20 »

You could check out Sigh,  one of the more interesting black metal bands. Mixing over the top baroque tunes with slow and hevy riffing.
Infidel Art especially is a great album.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC2eNZ5xPyc)

Enthroned is great too, very consistent discography and they always manage to put in some catchy riffage.

Behemoth nowadays is rather meh, but their Grom album is a masterpiece; accoustic interludes, female vocals and devilishly fast

Gorgoroth, another band that hasn't put out anything good in years, but their first three albums are some the best stuff released

Anaal Nathrakh, great mix of black metal and grindcore; their latest releases make an interesting use of clean vocals

Also heavily seconding the Peste Noire, they're probably my favourite.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2009, 01:31 by kwintpod »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #222 on: 27 Oct 2009, 05:02 »

Behemoth nowadays is rather meh, but their Grom album is a masterpiece; accoustic interludes, female vocals and devilishly fast

I think that Demigod was amazing, crushing masterpiece. But The Apostasy and Ecvangelion are soooooooooooooooo "meh"
I mean, they have skills... A LOT of skills that makes me go all "wooow man", but that's it... Nothing more. Perfect performance doesn't make a album good, you need more than that, more passion.
IMO everything from the beginning to Demigod is worth checking out.

Harun

« Reply #223 on: 29 Oct 2009, 06:32 »

so the new Katatonia album Night Is the New Day is floating around, and 'tis absolutely stunning. probably one of the most consistently solid metal albums i've heard all year. Mikael Akerfeldt has even called it a masterpiece and the best heavy album he's heard in 10 years.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #224 on: 29 Oct 2009, 09:04 »

so the new Katatonia album Night Is the New Day is floating around, and 'tis absolutely stunning. probably one of the most consistently solid metal albums i've heard all year.

Is it better than The Great Cold Distance? Because even though I like that album, I believe it needed more strenght.

Harun

« Reply #225 on: 30 Oct 2009, 13:32 »

i'd say so. The Great Cold Distance is a bit heavier guitar/instrument wise, and tends to blend into itself a little too much.

Night Is the New Day has better pacing, is a bit more dynamic (e.g. opening closing tracks are very different but equally awesome), and more memorable/standout tracks. I've been spinning it for a couple days (almost nonstop without listening to anything else) and i'm loving it more every time i listen to it I'll put it up in the mf!re thread momentarily...
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2009, 13:36 by Harun »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #226 on: 30 Oct 2009, 13:48 »

I'll put it up in the mf!re thread momentarily...

Thank you!!

:-D

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #227 on: 03 Nov 2009, 04:28 »

Bought some incantation based solely on the word of you people and so far I like it.

Ta!
My Art.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up