THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: favorite iphone apps?  (Read 24222 times)

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: favorite iphone apps?
« Reply #50 on: 02 Feb 2010, 18:38 »

Kieff, I'll play words with friends with you.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #51 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:48 »

I'm spotlight kid, lets fucc shit upp.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #52 on: 03 Feb 2010, 02:32 »

i miss my iphone :(
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #53 on: 03 Feb 2010, 03:41 »

fuck yeah

Did you ever play the original Master of Orion? Not the overcomplicated sequels, but the awesome original? GalCon with MoO-style upgrades and races would be fucking amazing.

No, unfortunately I didn't.  I started out on the Amiga version of Reach for the Stars and played the shit out of it, but after being disappointed with the PC version I kind of forgot I liked the genre for a while, maybe even until I found Stardock's Galactic Civilizations?  I think there's something else in the middle there, and I definitely loved playing Civ games, but I didn't really put two and two together until I saw GalCiv.  I think that if GalCon made certain upgrades like you say, and scored not only on a time but also on your population at the end (ie: some function of both) then it would probably have more depth and replayability.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #54 on: 03 Feb 2010, 05:50 »

In that case I highly recommend finding Master of Orion (not when you have anything important to do though.) It'll be tricky, since that game came out over a decade ago, but you can probably find it on Home of the Underdogs or something.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #55 on: 03 Feb 2010, 06:59 »

I like the Lightsaber app

Agreed. Also my friend went to a party as The Guy In The Red Jumper, from Star Trek & he got great scanner apps, you can program it to say different stuff after it scans & the sound effects are great, also a knightrider app. It actually works in the car. I don't have an iphone, but I play with his a lot so I only know games ones.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Reed

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #56 on: 04 Feb 2010, 19:52 »

Well, Kieffer managed to kick my ass.

If anyone else wants to play words with friends my username is Captain Cock

(yes, I really am that immature)
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #57 on: 05 Feb 2010, 18:58 »

I have been compulsively playing galcon on my laptop and my eyes keep twitching over the screen, looking for red triangles poised to attack. It is uncomfortable reading things because I am afraid that I need to reinforce my outward colonies or maybe I left my homeworld undefended. I can not look at what I'm typing and instead stare accusatively at those damn smileys that keep twitching.

Ptommydski

« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2010, 06:25 »

If you haven't got Angry Birds already, you're blowing it.

Holy fuck, this game is the new Peggle in terms of I Cannot And Will Not Put Down My Fucking iPhone Stop Asking Me.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2010, 07:36 »

Fuckin' pigs.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #60 on: 27 May 2010, 19:12 »

I play scrabble with Words too!

My username thinger is jmrz.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

öde

« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2010, 06:56 »

Winterboard is awesome!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #62 on: 29 May 2010, 17:14 »

Stardock's Galactic Civilizations

Trivia: this was originally written for OS/2 - it was viewed as a potential killer app when trying to promote OS/2 over Windows.  OS/2 was by far the better platform for game programming.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #63 on: 30 May 2010, 07:40 »

Defender Chronicles: Basically this is a tower defense game, but side-view instead of top-down.  It makes good use of pinch to zoom, the graphics are good, and there is a free version with a decent amount of playtime to see if you like it or not (I'm still playing the free version, can't say much about the paid version)

oh hey I didn't notice this post before, I found that game too while looking through Chillingo's catalog (a UK iPhone game publisher) and played the shit out of it. I don't know if I still have it on my iPhone, haven't played it in a while, but for a few weeks there I was pretty obsessed with it.

also, um, *cough*

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #64 on: 22 Aug 2010, 14:36 »

Right so my dad got an iPad for some reason and so he's punted his iPod Touch over to me. This will be my fourth mp3 player so it's primarily going to be an app device (still lots of music, but 128 kbps for space considerations). These are all good suggestions! Here are a few more that I've found and liked.

100 Rogues - A Roguelike for the iPhone/Touch, with all the trappings of the genre - lots of challenge, swarms of enemies, and procedurally generated levels. There are two classes, the Crusader and the "Glass Cannon" mage (looks like there may be two more classes coming in updates). The two things that set it apart are its polished visuals (ASCII this ain't) and the tongue-in-cheek humor, which fits with the genre because it too is often punishing. There are reportedly some particularly rare "pranks" the game will play on you, such as the controls becoming unresponsive when surrounded by powerful enemies, or the game just up and quitting on you at inopportune times. Your ultimate objective is to kill Satan. Your character needs to eat to live but food is pretty scarce, etc. I'm pretty sure the developers have come out and said that you're not supposed to be able to beat the game, but beating the game isn't the point.

Simpsons Arcade - Remember the Streets of Rage-style Simpsons arcade game? It's back for the iPhone/Touch! Somewhat unfortunately the only playable character is Homer, but the game is still just as fun as you remembered it being. The controls are surprisingly responsive for a touchscreen.

Also Joe when is the ETA on your game?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #65 on: 22 Aug 2010, 16:57 »

Thanks for reminding me, I just posted a new update. I was working on it a bit more literally right now.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #66 on: 22 Aug 2010, 19:42 »

Also there is a game called "Sword & Poker" which is a Puzzle Quest-style RPG fighter twist on poker. Pretty interesting.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #67 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:45 »

Simpsons Arcade - Remember the Streets of Rage-style Simpsons arcade game? It's back for the iPhone/Touch! Somewhat unfortunately the only playable character is Homer, but the game is still just as fun as you remembered it being. The controls are surprisingly responsive for a touchscreen.

yes

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #68 on: 24 Aug 2010, 14:35 »

Just letting you know that the powers that be have heard your cries and yes, they are making Angry Birds into a movie.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #69 on: 24 Aug 2010, 20:35 »

Hipstamatic, makes fancy photos

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #70 on: 24 Aug 2010, 20:58 »

Problem with Hipstamatic is you can't load existing photos onto it and add the filters, you have to use the app to take the photos. This is annoying! Much better to take the photos using the regular camera (loads the fastest) or Gorillacam (has stability and anti-blur mechanisms etc), then use the free Photoshop Mobile (or RetroCamera or PhotoFilters) app to add filters.

An app I use a lot is Zarf, it is a free scrabble dictionary.
Also Puzzlings is a fun sort of tetris/bejewelled puzzle game, it is free and I have had it for 6 months and have not finished it yet (although I am a very casual gamer).
I also use QuotaLite to keep track of my calls and data.
And BaconFarts because it is a good free fart app with lots of awesome sounds and descriptions.
Also a free Vuvuzela app is useful for having when your workmates insist on playing FIFA all day in the break room.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #71 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:00 »

Just letting you know that the powers that be have heard your cries and yes, they are making Angry Birds into a movie.

I could actually see it working really well as a Saturday morning cartoon, but a movie is perhaps beyond the pale

Ptommydski

« Reply #72 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:35 »

And BaconFarts because it is a good free fart app with lots of awesome sounds and descriptions.

What just happened here.

Notice the lack of question mark to denote the rhetoric nature of my enquiry.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #73 on: 25 Aug 2010, 16:15 »

If you can't appreciate a good fart noise Tommy I do not know what is wrong with you.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #74 on: 26 Aug 2010, 08:47 »

Traumatic childhood farting incident?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #75 on: 26 Aug 2010, 22:01 »

oh so it was far more traumatic than I thought

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #76 on: 26 Aug 2010, 22:01 »

it must be painful

farting without a bottom

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #77 on: 26 Aug 2010, 22:02 »

you poor thing (tee hee, "bottom")

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #78 on: 05 Sep 2010, 15:10 »

Oh, the NaturalMotions game "Backbreaker Football" is free to download for today only. It's a game in which you run a football downfield to the end zone, with all the hazards that entails. Different levels have different portions of the field cordoned off. It's pretty fun.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #79 on: 08 Sep 2010, 19:37 »

So I have found the best app for 'Vintage' photo editing, it is called RetroCamera and previously I had the free version which puts a url/watermark on your image at the bottom. Kind of annoying! Then today I found out there was a paid version. Yay!
It has like a million different film settings, textures, frames, etc. AND you can load images from your camera roll. USEFUL.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #80 on: 11 Sep 2010, 08:34 »

I found out that there is a Couch to 5K app, which I so far (only done two workouts, though) love. It's so much better to just forget everything called time and just put on some music and then do what the dude in your earbud tells you to do, than having to check the time constantly to find out when you're supposed to run and walk. The app isn't free, but if I manage to continue walking/jogging, I'd say it was worth it. It doesn't really have a lot of information about distance or calories burned or anything like that, but if I'd had a newer iPod touch or iPhone I could've done Nike + at the same time, which would've registered that stuff. Couch to 5K basically takes away the hassle of keeping track of the time intervals (with a beep and a man or woman saying "walk/run now"), and it tells me when I am halfway through the workout (meaning that's where I turn around), all with the iPod in my pocket.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #81 on: 11 Sep 2010, 09:13 »

Yeah, I did find a few alternatives where you could set up your own intervals, but could never really get past the feeling that it was all a hassle, because the previous times I've tried the program I have felt dead halfway through the first day and really didn't have much motivation at all. But this app is kinda awesome in that you chose which week/workout you want do (and can re-do workouts without any problems, or skip forward, but I don't see that happening for me), and then it has all of the stuff preset. I don't know if I'll actually continue this time, but I have been able to complete the first week workouts with more ease than earlier, at least. I guess my cycling this summer probably helped a bit.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #82 on: 03 Nov 2010, 13:40 »

Game D Story!

It's the game where you run your own little game development studio, from hiring staff through to doing contract work and coming up with concepts to development and bugfixing. If you've ever played Theme Hospital or Dinopark Tycoon, it's a lot like that. It has been annihilating my free time.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #83 on: 03 Nov 2010, 22:23 »

Ugggh where did the last 4 hours of my life go
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #84 on: 04 Nov 2010, 05:42 »

Game development is not a game.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #85 on: 04 Nov 2010, 05:46 »

It's sort of like a game. And there are rules and you have to follow them because it's not a game.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #86 on: 26 Feb 2011, 11:12 »

article about Angry Birds developers:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8303173/Angry-Birds-the-story-behind-iPhones-gaming-phenomenon.html

my favorite bit in the article:
Like many of the best video games, Angry Birds hides a keen intelligence underneath its wacky exterior. In contrast, the people who work at Rovio couldn’t be less wacky if they tried. The office, in Espoo, just outside Helsinki, is thoroughly bland; a large open-plan room with regulation desks, white boards and pot plants.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #87 on: 04 May 2011, 02:12 »

Angry Birds deserves mentions from everyone ever, and Doodle Jump should be brought up again, especially since the multiplayer update hit last month.

Also, the Plants vs. Zombies port works really well on this platform.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #88 on: 08 May 2011, 21:17 »

Just submitted my iPhone game for approval, now I wait. Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik1pBypdNTA

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #89 on: 12 May 2011, 17:48 »

Tap Tap Revenge: Guitar Hero or Dance Dance Revolution for your iPhone. Little notes fly down your screen and you tap the phone in time. Plenty of free tracks to download, surprisingly good artist selection. There's a few verisons of this. TTR 2 is free, the others are a dollar or so.

i'm not an iphone person but this game rules so much! miss being able to play it (via borrowing the iphone of a person who has it)
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up