THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 09:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is going on with Faye??

Dora has clearly gone back to her old ways and put a hex on Faye.
The sight of Marten as Ichiro changed her view of boys.  Whether for better or for worse, time will tell.
Nothing's going on, Faye's just helping Penelope get that dirt off her shoulder.
Faye has clearly gone off the deep end.  Next thing you know, she'll be looking FORWARD to Angus' visits!!  NOOOOOOO!!!
I want Border Reiver to do the WCT's from now on.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Nov 9-13, 2009  (Read 40760 times)

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
Re: WCT Nov 9-13, 2009
« Reply #100 on: 12 Nov 2009, 12:54 »

In Shipper-verse there is no such thing as 'just friends'.

"Wow there's a picture in the paper of Pope Benedict and Cardinal Fuffnangle smiling together. OMG THEY ARE TOTALLY AN ITEM SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I think it's a neurosis caused by excessive reading of celebity magazines.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #101 on: 12 Nov 2009, 13:05 »

he says "we've known each other since college" but she seems surprised that he even knew who she was in college.  Something does not compute in my head. 

Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Malsies

• Not quite a lurker
  • Eat You
« Reply #102 on: 12 Nov 2009, 13:54 »

he says "we've known each other since college" but she seems surprised that he even knew who she was in college.  Something does not compute in my head. 

Well, Marigold has low self-esteem.  I'm sure she knew who Angus was, but because they probably never spoke except in passing, she assumed that he never gave her a second thought.  A reasonable enough conclusion.  I've run into people I know from swing dancing, and they're all like, "Who are you?"  Um, yeah, hi.  You spent a three-and-a-half minute song with your hands all over me.   :roll:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #103 on: 12 Nov 2009, 14:27 »

Malsies said it better than I ever could.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BobtheDancingFlea

• Not quite a lurker
  • Not a lion.
    • Deviantfart
« Reply #104 on: 12 Nov 2009, 14:44 »

Up until this point...I thought Angus and Marigold were related. D:
Now I'm trying to remember how I got that idea in my head.
It feels like that's how they knew each other, so now I have to go look at the archives or I'll never know. :'C
Bums.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #105 on: 12 Nov 2009, 15:20 »

I seem to recall it being brought up in he WCT th week they went to the bar w/o Angus...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #106 on: 12 Nov 2009, 17:10 »

I thought for a few weeks that they were brother and sister.  I'm also unsure as to how I thought that, but once there was the whole "is Marigold attractive" thing and Angus looked her up and down and said yes, I thought not.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #107 on: 12 Nov 2009, 17:20 »

yeah when the "is marigold attractive" strip came out it was evident they were not related.  But I think they just consider each other friends.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BobtheDancingFlea

• Not quite a lurker
  • Not a lion.
    • Deviantfart
« Reply #108 on: 12 Nov 2009, 17:31 »

I thought for a few weeks that they were brother and sister.  I'm also unsure as to how I thought that, but once there was the whole "is Marigold attractive" thing and Angus looked her up and down and said yes, I thought not.
Now, see...something must be wrong with me, 'cause that totally made me keep believing it.
Or maybe it's just the fact that I have no idea what it's like to have a sibling.
I just thought it seemed brotherly I DON'T KNOW WHY. D:
Bums.

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #109 on: 12 Nov 2009, 19:47 »

[From Jeph's comment under tonight's comic]:  Cutest Marigold ever in panel 2. Creepiest ever in panel five.

I dunno, I find her smile in panel five more adorable than creepy.  Faye's "trying to be friendly to the customer" smile was creepy.  Hannelore's "be friendly to the boy smiling at me" grin was creepy.  This was adorable.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #110 on: 12 Nov 2009, 19:53 »

My favorite was panel 1, the natural-looking happy Marigold. It's good to see her happy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

epoch

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #111 on: 12 Nov 2009, 20:09 »

Angus just wants to make Marigold happy. Aw. SO. ADORABLE. So should they be Marigus or Angold?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #112 on: 12 Nov 2009, 20:29 »

Marigus, definitely. 

Because not enough words rhyme with asparagus. 

And Angold sounds like something from a Wagnerian opera...

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #113 on: 12 Nov 2009, 20:32 »

See, I would have said that Marigus sounded like another type of flower, whereas Angold sounds like some medical treatment for athlete's foot.  :lol:

Nice to see Marigold being more social, even willingly, but it makes me think she might be reading into this all just a bit more than Angus intended.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #114 on: 12 Nov 2009, 20:46 »

I think its safe to say the "friend" he was referring to, was Angus.

OMG! He's a genius! He's been stalking her since college and even managed to get an apartment with her so that he can stalk her up close! This explains everything! Only, now she's starting to socialize and he can't have that, so he's making his move. WHY DIDN"T I SEE IT BEFORE??!!!

:-D
Because you aren't so paranoid that you assume that everyone is not only lying, but telling and living a huge lie just to conceal their evil plans?
he says "we've known each other since college" but she seems surprised that he even knew who she was in college.  Something does not compute in my head.  
Apparently your college experience is incomplete, since it does not include the "mystery guy" (or girl; less common, from my experience, but I see no reason for her not to exist). Everyone you know has seen him, no one has seen him actually talking to anybody, and no one knows what he does, although at least one person of your circle is certain he was in this hundred-plus student class they were in, too. Sometimes you actually get to meet this person and discover he's cool, interesting, brilliant, obsessed, creepy, strange, non-communicative, lonely, self-absorbed, distrustful, or personally disturbs you—take about three from the list, and you might add has some odd odor. I recall about three guys like this from college (including grad school). Two I met, and one just faded away about mid-semester. Legend had it 'they' came for him (although no one ever properly established who 'they' were.)
Marigus, definitely.  

Because not enough words rhyme with asparagus.  

And Angold sounds like something from a Wagnerian opera...
Stop that.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2009, 20:49 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #115 on: 12 Nov 2009, 20:57 »

Angold sounds like some medical treatment for athlete's foot.  :lol:
Or worse, a hemorrhoid cream... Or lube... :-o
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #116 on: 12 Nov 2009, 21:11 »

I think Marigold was more that shy, brainy, awkward kid that knows all the answers but prefers to sit in the back of the class and mumbles when called on.

Dawwwwww  Mari-Bear has da crushes on Angus.

Hmmmmm

Why is it that when I se Marigus I suddenly have this image of Angus and Marigold in Roman Armour?

:D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #117 on: 12 Nov 2009, 21:22 »

Mangold
Mangus
Margus
Marang
Man
Ma

OMG! He's a genius! He's been stalking her since college and even managed to get an apartment with her so that he can stalk her up close! This explains everything! Only, now she's starting to socialize and he can't have that, so he's making his move. WHY DIDN"T I SEE IT BEFORE??!!!

:-D
Because you aren't so paranoid that you assume that everyone is not only lying, but telling and living a huge lie just to conceal their evil plans?

Wow! This proves I'm saner than I used to be!

Apparently your college experience is incomplete, since it does not include the "mystery guy" (or girl; less common, from my experience, but I see no reason for her not to exist). Everyone you know has seen him, no one has seen him actually talking to anybody, and no one knows what he does, although at least one person of your circle is certain he was in this hundred-plus student class they were in, too. Sometimes you actually get to meet this person and discover he's cool, interesting, brilliant, obsessed, creepy, strange, non-communicative, lonely, self-absorbed, distrustful, or personally disturbs you—take about three from the list, and you might add has some odd odor. I recall about three guys like this from college (including grad school). Two I met, and one just faded away about mid-semester. Legend had it 'they' came for him (although no one ever properly established who 'they' were.)

I was that girl, only it started well before college. I think it was elementary school.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #118 on: 13 Nov 2009, 04:42 »

[From Jeph's comment under tonight's comic]:  Cutest Marigold ever in panel 2. Creepiest ever in panel five.

I dunno, I find her smile in panel five more adorable than creepy.  Faye's "trying to be friendly to the customer" smile was creepy.  Hannelore's "be friendly to the boy smiling at me" grin was creepy.  This was adorable.

Remember, you're just comparing Marigold to Marigold, on that scale, the man is right.  When we introduce Faye, or Hanners, then the variables change.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #119 on: 13 Nov 2009, 05:27 »

Anyone with a fixed smile on their face is creepy lookng - it's the opposite side of the uncanny valley, someone real looking a little too plastic...

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 13 Nov 2009, 06:25 »

I don't know. Creepiness is, I suspect, like so many things, partially a matter of intent. Faye was trying to be creepy—Marigold's just trying to amuse. It makes me feel a little better, at any rate, as it's something one would do with a friend, not a romantic interest.

sigh Don't want the not-real comic girl to get crushed, I don't.

It would, except it's me making the observation.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #121 on: 13 Nov 2009, 07:42 »

Can I say that I have been really, really impressed how Jeph's art accurately depicts Marigold as plain-looking?  By which I mean she's not ugly, but neither does she have the secretly-stunning-without-my-glasses vibe (as opposed to, say, Penelope).  She looks exactly like she should: a girl who could probably be cuter if she bothered, but is legitimately of average attractiveness.  It's not really something that a lot of comics pull off well, and it goes such a long way to adding realism to Marigold's personality.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

epoch

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #122 on: 13 Nov 2009, 07:46 »

She isn't going to. Because her and Angus are going to get together, and fall in love. It will be super adorable. Yayyy!

Abigmoron

• Plantmonster
« Reply #123 on: 13 Nov 2009, 09:38 »

Angus's shirt is literally everything I have ever wanted in a shirt

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #124 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:08 »

I don't know if Hannelore is growing a crush for Angus. This would be immature from someone her age in general, but somehow understandable from a kind of asocial girl just going out of her shell.
The other possible explanation is that, going out of her shell, she's taking a taste for socializing and being around people. Which is even more cute and awwwwwwwsome. Reminds me of myself, back when playing tabletop roleplaying games with many like-minded yet very various people, helped me be easier around people.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

epoch

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #125 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:22 »

I don't know if Hannelore is growing a crush for Angus. This would be immature from someone her age in general, but somehow understandable from a kind of asocial girl just going out of her shell.
The other possible explanation is that, going out of her shell, she's taking a taste for socializing and being around people. Which is even more cute and awwwwwwwsome. Reminds me of myself, back when playing tabletop roleplaying games with many like-minded yet very various people, helped me be easier around people.
You mean Marigold, right? Hannelore is a different character.

maddness

• FIGHT YOU
  • What a curious and altogether strange place.
    • tweet, twit.
« Reply #126 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:35 »

This. EXACTLY this.

I don't know. Creepiness is, I suspect, like so many things, partially a matter of intent. Faye was trying to be creepy—Marigold's just trying to amuse. It makes me feel a little better, at any rate, as it's something one would do with a friend, not a romantic interest.

But, being that she's pretty well inexperienced when it comes to the whole boy/girl interaction thing, she might not have those nuances down.

It would, except it's me making the observation.

Damn! Just when I thought I was making progress.
I SAY I only fuck donkeys but sometimes I fuck mules too
Fight Me, Bitches!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #127 on: 13 Nov 2009, 11:54 »

Yeah, I meant Marigold... What the fuck is wrong with me?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #128 on: 13 Nov 2009, 13:02 »

Socially awkward women with the same vowel pattern in their names and the same number of syllables? I can see how a collision happened.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 13 Nov 2009, 13:02 »

Yeah, I meant Marigold... What the fuck is wrong with me?

You might need glasses?

;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #130 on: 13 Nov 2009, 13:18 »

Well, based on the poll (which hasn't changed), there was a good percentage of people want me todo the polls.  However there are plenty of others to do the work - many are funnier than I. 

Besides, I'm off on exercise this weekend and won't be back til late Sunday - one of the rest of you will have to do it....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #131 on: 13 Nov 2009, 20:49 »

But, being that she's pretty well inexperienced when it comes to the whole boy/girl interaction thing, she might not have those nuances down.
Well, great. You can just rock me to sleep tonight.

Edit: which you didn't, and I didn't sleep a wink. (starts chucking guilt by the large handfuls).
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2009, 07:01 by raoullefere »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #132 on: 14 Nov 2009, 05:17 »

Quote from: Jeph's Twitter
Oh my god you guys we just bought A HOUSE

Holy crap.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

jonarus_drakus

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Marigold and Pintsize's lovechild
« Reply #133 on: 14 Nov 2009, 08:54 »

A house, awsome! Now you KNOW your popular and cool Jeph, if you wernt, you would be able to aford to buy a house...

srry, dunk... My birthday drinkfest (25 as of the 14th)... pity is was crap...
EVERYTHING IS RUINED FOREVER!!

syrupykeyboard

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • These dynamite walls contain us.
« Reply #134 on: 14 Nov 2009, 12:15 »

A house, awsome! Now you KNOW your popular and cool Jeph, if you wernt, you would be able to aford to buy a house...

srry, dunk... My birthday drinkfest (25 as of the 14th)... pity is was crap...
Well happy birthday, jonarus!
"And I don't know where I'm going yet, but it's somewhere quite a ways from here I'll bet..."

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #135 on: 14 Nov 2009, 19:29 »

Quote from: Jeph's Twitter
Oh my god you guys we just bought A HOUSE

Holy crap.
Yay!

Speaking of twitter, I note that pintsize0101 is following KimikoRoss.
As is hanneloreEC, but she also follows sockington, pennycat, and wilw.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #136 on: 15 Nov 2009, 21:07 »

Well, based on the poll (which hasn't changed), there was a good percentage of people want me todo the polls.  However there are plenty of others to do the work - many are funnier than I. 

Besides, I'm off on exercise this weekend and won't be back til late Sunday - one of the rest of you will have to do it....
Or we will all patiently wait for your return...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up