THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feedback? We just finished our first full length  (Read 3116 times)

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication

Hello forum. My band is releasing our first LP this Friday, which needless to say I am pretty excited about. Though my post-count is rather quaint, I read this board on a daily basis, because, collectively, you guys have the best overall taste in music that I have seen and most of my favorite music I first learned about through these discussions. Therefore I am quite interested in your opinion of us. Our whole LP is on our myspace (www.myspace.com/kidsandanimalsband) so if you have the time and the desire, I would be quite grateful if you would listen to a song or two and tell me your impressions!

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
Re: Feedback? We just finished our first full length
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2009, 03:12 »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:09 »

I like it. You remind me of a band from the UK a couple of years ago called Larrikin Love but with heavier guitars (this is a good thing because that band made a really good album before they folded).
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

RaZe42

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:00 »

DO LIKE.  :-D

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2009, 11:24 »

"Blind Spots" is pretty sick
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2009, 11:28 »

I don't like the mastering job, too loud imo, but then again, I think most new rock music is too loud. Everything sounds squished together. I can't discern the instruments easily in the "loud" parts.

Also: too over-processed

Edit: Maybe myspace compresses (I don't mean bitrate) all the music uploaded to their site?
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2009, 11:30 by Be My Head »

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2009, 12:17 »

To Scandanavian War Machine, Raze42, the_pied_piper: Thanks a lot! That makes me quite happy to hear!

To Be My Head: Yeah I know what you mean. I think its partly myspace and partly the original mastering. I noticed on myspace that the dynamics seemed much more squished together and compressed than when I listened to the original recording. But it definitely is also due to the mastering, which is regrettable but it was mastered somewhat in a hurry for very little money so we got what we could get. Hopefully next time we'll be able to spend more time on the production, I want a more Microphones-esque sound. It sucks because we learned so much throughout this whole process, to the point where we were all like "wow if we could go and redo the whole thing it would of ended up so much better". But oh well.     

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2009, 15:38 »

I like these songs very much!
it's time to stop posting

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2009, 15:53 »

I think the songs are overall pretty good, but the drums and the bass are not very tight.  They're just not really grooving to each other much at all and that kind of kills all the feel for me (but then again I am very sensitive to that sort of thing).  All of the stuff sounds pretty good (acknowledging compression issues).  It's all very well-recorded.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2009, 20:10 »

I don't like the mastering job, too loud imo, but then again, I think most new rock music is too loud. Everything sounds squished together. I can't discern the instruments easily in the "loud" parts.

Also: too over-processed

Edit: Maybe myspace compresses (I don't mean bitrate) all the music uploaded to their site?

A bit off-topic, but if you think most new rock music is loud, you would be interested in that "open letter" ex-Depeche Mode Alan Wilder has written on that topic. I found that to be a pretty intesresting read. But that's my opinion.

Continue like nothing happened people.

EDIT: Forgot to link to the article
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2009, 20:12 by Scarychips »
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2009, 20:52 »

That's an intriguing article there....

One thing that bugged me though. He ignores high quality digital formats like .wav, .flac, and .ape. With a high quality CD drive and good software you can get a digital file with all the information which was on the CD stored accurately. Also, I think it's fair to say that the current crop of rock and pop music sates my taste for rock and pop. If I, or any other person who professes to love good sound quality, and detailed music just listens to rock and pop...well I don't think the former is a true statement. You don't love great sound quality and detailed music if you just listen to rock and pop, because the fact is that all the well engineered and recorded stuff is on classical and jazz record labels. The "ear candy" is rock and pop for me.

Course a lot of older stuff from the early 90s, 80s, and 70s has that nice fact of having good dynamic range and being ear candy at the same time >_> that would be nice to have with rock and pop of today.

Metal and other genres vary wildly from shite sound to amazing sound I think.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2009, 20:54 by Be My Head »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2009, 21:12 »

I think it's a pretty decent record.  I'm not huge on any particular brand of rock, so take that for what you will.  As far as production goes, I think it ended up pretty well considering the budget and time constraints.  On a scale of 1-10 of sound quality of a band on a tight budget, I'd say it's a 6 or 7.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2009, 00:55 »

It's good!
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2009, 02:24 »

EDIT: Forgot to link to the article

DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN WITH YER MC-THREES AND YER  HI-TOONS AND YER DOOWHATCHAMACALLITS
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2009, 11:44 »

Pretty good! I'd check you guys out if you ever played around here.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: [1]   Go Up