THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kick Ass (the movie)  (Read 46148 times)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: Kick Ass (the movie)
« Reply #100 on: 20 Apr 2010, 10:52 »

saw it last night, it was awesome

kinda ready to see it again already
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #101 on: 20 Apr 2010, 11:57 »

Lolita, Taxi Driver, Cape Fear & Curly Sue.
Probably Leon, which had to have quite a few scenes with the girl cut for US release.

Damn good movie, though.

Dazed, I was saying that it shouldn't have been hammed up. In the original, it was only hammed up to the extent that Christopher Lee makes everything villainous hammy, due to his stature and (incredibly masculine) voice.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #102 on: 21 Apr 2010, 00:43 »

I am totally looking forward to this film. I've booked tickets for myself, my girlfriend, my best friend and his girlfriend to go to see it Gold Class. This means big, fancy, leather, reclining seats and food and drinks that you order before the film and have brought to you at specific points. It's a two hour film so I think we'll have drinks and beer-battered fries brought to us at the beginning of the film, main meals brought to us an hour in and then maybe fancy desserts a half hour after that.

Rad.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #103 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:30 »

ok, first of all; where the fuck is this theater?
second of all; how much will a gold class ticket set me back?
third of all; isn't that abit much for anything short of kubrick?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #104 on: 21 Apr 2010, 02:42 »

Well the specific cinema he is going to is in Sydney, but it's an Event Cinema (which i think bought out Greater Union cinemas?) and the tickets normally cost around $20 if I remember correctly.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #105 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:09 »

Gold Class tickets vary in price depending on the day. Weekdays are $26, Weekends are $38, Public Holidays are $33. We're going on a public holiday. Yay three day weekend!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #106 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:36 »

Those theaters remind me a lot of the Alamo Draft houses down in Texas.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Toba

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Earl of Flamthrowe
    • cons.truct
« Reply #107 on: 22 Apr 2010, 06:43 »

This movie was excellent.  Of course it was a bit hammy at times but that's what I signed up for.

Kick some ass, go see this movie.
boldly going nowhere

Lise

• Furry furrier
    • Face Me
« Reply #108 on: 22 Apr 2010, 10:17 »

I was lucky enough to catch an early screening of Kick-Ass awhile back (perks of working in a comic shop), but I've gladly paid for a second screening since then. Kick-Ass is seriously that good. Having read the comic prior to my first viewing, I was skeptical of how they'd handle the adaptation, but the movie was an improvement on the comic in all respects. There were changes in relationships and a removal of the "twist" ending in the comic, but the revisions all worked to the benefit of the movie. Kick-Ass is one instance where modifications to make the film more marketable and appeal to a wider audience doesn't sacrifice the integrity of the original story.

Great choices in music (I can't wait for the score soundtrack to be released on April 26th), acting, action scenes (the fights featuring Big Daddy and Hit Girl were so badass, they gave me chills), tongue-in-cheek humor, etc. etc. and the list goes on.

This is one I'm definitely grabbing on DVD when it's released. I implore you all to see it!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #109 on: 24 Apr 2010, 23:40 »

Just saw this. Avoiding the obvious in-title pun, the movie was great and I had a big, goofy smile on my face for pretty much the duration. And i wasn't even high  :-o

of course, if you go in expecting anything but over-the-top action and ludicrous hilarity, then you're out of luck.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #110 on: 25 Apr 2010, 07:33 »

Oh see that was probably my problem I went in expecting some sort of plot and characters that reacted to situations in a consistent and internally logical manner

There really is a lot to dislike about this film and it's kind of frustrating that most negative reviews have been framed by this bullshit hysterical moral panic.

Ebert's review hits the mark pretty squarely but a lot of what he says is diminished by the ever-tiresome "how is this affecting the children???" line.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #111 on: 25 Apr 2010, 11:07 »

and by the fact that he says literally nothing except "this movie has no morals," which was pretty obvious from the trailers.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #112 on: 25 Apr 2010, 18:09 »

On the one hand, I really don't like this movie and I really don't like the comic. I really, really, really don't like them. Both works are basically asking for pats on the back for pointing out that escapist fiction is, uh, well, escapist and fictional. Jesus Christ. Okay, look, comic book fans know people couldn't really get away with the stuff super heroes do in comics. You shouldn't necessarily get a medal for pointing this out, particularly when the rest of your book basically does consist of them getting away with a fair amount of super hero bullshit, even if eventually they lose more than they gain. It comes off as smarmy, vulgar and condescending. So, in most ways I totally agree with Roger Ebert.

On the other hand, he's really fixated on the li'l girl thing and the think of the children angle. Man, fuck the children. I find it a li'l alarming that society can't be bothered to give a shit about something unless it happens to a kid. Bad things happen to people all of the time and dammit, that should concern us!

and by the fact that he says literally nothing except "this movie has no morals," which was pretty obvious from the trailers.

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with expressing disapproval of something when you find it to be a morally bankrupt turd. I'm not a fan of censorship, mind you, but the nice thing about that position is that it means I also get to support Roger Ebert's right to tell someone that their film is bad and that they should feel bad. Ebert's probably mortified as hell that he even has to point this kind of shit out anymore.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2010, 18:20 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #113 on: 25 Apr 2010, 19:55 »

when the rest of your book basically does consist of them getting away with a fair amount of super hero bullshit, even if eventually they lose more than they gain

Fuck that, literally the only bad thing of any continuing relevance that happens to the "good guys" is when <SPOILER>Big Daddy dies</SPOILER>, and that happened to a supporting player.

Sure Kick-Ass gets hit by a car and apparently loses the ability to feel pain but it is never mentioned or even fucking demonstrated in the film again and only the barest of lip-service is paid to his recovery til he is back to normal again and back to the same shenanigans as before. But then he turns into a actual factual superhero on what we are to assume is pure grit and determination at the snap of a finger and gets the girl* and basically displays absolutely no internal consistency or logic whatsoever.

*Actually the characterisation of the main love-interest girl is probably what bothers me the most about this flick although that probably has more to do with what I know about Mark Millar and I was kind of just going in expecting at least a little misogyny somewhere.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #114 on: 25 Apr 2010, 20:14 »

The one thing that bugged me the most was that, despite getting his ass kicked quite a lot, they never actually showed any bruises, contusions, or other things showing he had his ass kicked.  In the book the least he did was allude to being mugged and having on some bandages.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2010, 21:21 by Blue Kitty »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #115 on: 26 Apr 2010, 15:36 »

When I said lose more than they gain I was mostly referring to the comic and I meant emotionally more than physically; things don't really turn out the way they expected, there's that whole spoiler moment you're referring to and in the end everyone would probably have felt better off had they lived normal lives. From a purely physical standpoint though, yeah, they get away with super hero bullshit after one brief nod to consequences.

I know what you mean about the love interest change though. It undermined the "being a super hero won't get you want you want" theme, but at least it wasn't Mark Millar style misogyny-- I'm not really ready to condemn the movie for not sticking true to a theme I kinda hated, particularly since the comic ending seemed to wallow in Nice Guy cliches about women. I probably shouldn't have bothered going, really, given my relationship with the source material.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2010, 15:43 by Alex C »

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #116 on: 26 Apr 2010, 17:13 »

Mark Millar is just an awful writer. I thought all the changes they made from comic-->movie were for the better.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #117 on: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38 »

Everything I've heard from people who've read the books say that the changes made in the film actually make it better, I haven't read it but I was pretty impressed with the movie. What surprised me was that I went in expecting something entirely lighthearted with the violence being played for mostly comic effect. As a result I found the film to be a bit more serious than I was prepared for with certain scenes and themes [SPOILER!]Big Daddy's torture and death and the child abuse theme[/SPOILER!] hitting a lot harder than I expected them to.

I understand all the criticism given above (though I've enjoyed the Millar comics I've read) but I have to say I really loved this film and will probably end up seeing it again.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #118 on: 26 Apr 2010, 21:15 »

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with expressing disapproval of something when you find it to be a morally bankrupt turd. I'm not a fan of censorship, mind you, but the nice thing about that position is that it means I also get to support Roger Ebert's right to tell someone that their film is bad and that they should feel bad. Ebert's probably mortified as hell that he even has to point this kind of shit out anymore.

Well, yeah. I was merely ragging on the review itself, not his right to have a dissenting opinion.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #119 on: 27 Apr 2010, 07:40 »

The thing about Ebbert is even if you disagree with him, at least he conveys his points in a way that imply he's actually seen said film & then thought about it & how he is going to put across the points he did & didn't like.

You cannot say that about a lot of reviewers (See Daily Mail review for contrast)

I've even found myself agree with faults I hadn't previously noticed after reading his reviews. I think he is a good writer.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #120 on: 27 Apr 2010, 09:32 »

i like ebert, though i frequently find myself disagreeing with his reviews, and occasionally find myself wondering if we had even been watching the same movie

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #121 on: 27 Apr 2010, 15:51 »

Ebert and I generally agree, unless he's publishing essays about how videogames aren't art.

Or giving "Knowing" 4 stars.

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #122 on: 27 Apr 2010, 16:13 »

While I think his argument is absolutely stupid, I do agree with him that video games aren't, and will never be art. For various semantics reasons I think Video games are more related to football, rugby, lacrosse, ect. than they are to literature, sculpting, or theater. The users can have artistry and something of the power of art can come from it, but by itself it is nothing. There is an art to video games, but that doesn't make them art. Though there are some exceptions to every rule; Metal Gear Solid 2 is far better enjoyed as a work of art than as sport.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #123 on: 27 Apr 2010, 16:15 »

Let's not do this here.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #124 on: 27 Apr 2010, 16:17 »

His video games aren't art stance is weird and kinda myopic. I just want him to meet us halfway and acknowledge that a video game can be art or at least contain art even if most of them aren't interested in making the attempt. I mean, yes, art is often in part a sort of communication between the artist and the audience and in video games you do cede a lot of control to the audience. But there is still form and structure there and he willfully ignores the point that linearity does exist in games. Yes, the player can derail a game by refusing to take it seriously or acting impulsively, but the same can be said of a stubborn or bored audience watching a movie.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #125 on: 27 Apr 2010, 16:18 »

Also, the Metal Gear games are bad and Hideo Kojima should feel bad.

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #126 on: 27 Apr 2010, 20:09 »

His video games aren't art stance is weird and kinda myopic. I just want him to meet us halfway and acknowledge that a video game can be art or at least contain art even if most of them aren't interested in making the attempt. I mean, yes, art is often in part a sort of communication between the artist and the audience and in video games you do cede a lot of control to the audience. But there is still form and structure there and he willfully ignores the point that linearity does exist in games. Yes, the player can derail a game by refusing to take it seriously or acting impulsively, but the same can be said of a stubborn or bored audience watching a movie.
100% agree with this. That's why I said that games can, and often do contain artistry. Ebert's refusal to see that is a total failure on his part. But for reasons you outline amongst some others, I don't think video games can be treated as art, at least in the same sense the various things that are considered art are. Or to phrase an other way the core to something like GTA or GH isn't artistic in any sense. The formation of the pixels, music, what have you takes an artist but what it makes is sports like moreso than arts like.
But like I said some of these games completely fail at being games and only work for their artistic qualities. Actually that's what I'm getting at! It may have the qualities of art, but it doesn't take the form.

ackblom12

« Reply #127 on: 27 Apr 2010, 20:27 »

There is a video game forum, please use it. I may even participate if it doesn't turn into a dicking clusterfuck too quickly.

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #128 on: 27 Apr 2010, 20:30 »

Too late.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #129 on: 01 May 2010, 23:28 »

i just saw this. this film is REALLY fun. if you can get past the frighteningly high number of scenes where young children and teenagers kill people and also get the shit beaten out of them by grown men (not going to put a spoiler alert here because come on, this is basically the entire movie), it's delightful. nicholas cage is surprisingly funny too. a lot of the negative reviewers seem to be complaining that it's too over the top and distasteful but if you put aside any and all desire to read into the societal implications of having children swear or kill people or whatever and instead just treat it as just the silly violent fantasy thrill ride it is, it's a very exciting and well done one. one great big recommendation from me.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2010, 23:33 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #130 on: 02 May 2010, 00:21 »

Hey now, Kick Ass is over-the-top and distasteful. The only difference between people who enjoyed it and people who didn't is how willing they are to roll with that.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #131 on: 02 May 2010, 00:22 »

Basically I have no morals and laughed all the way through it.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #132 on: 02 May 2010, 16:59 »

It's a comic book movie, what they fuck were the thinking would happen?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #133 on: 02 May 2010, 17:16 »

That it'd be good?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #134 on: 02 May 2010, 17:22 »

Actually, I didn't really expect that. You know, because of Mark Millar.

knives

• Furry furrier
« Reply #135 on: 02 May 2010, 18:58 »

Just got back from this I'm on Alex's side. The third act especially made this an unfun movie for me. When your entire point is this is what would happen if superheros were in the real world you don't have a god damned jet pack. Really all of the scenes with Big Daddy and Hit Girl in action were better suited for a movie like Shoot 'em Up than this. Sadly they were the only actively interesting things in the movie though. The entire character of Kick-Ass and his bloody stupid narration couldn't have been more grating. There's only so much i want to know about a character's masturbation habits. There are other ways to set him up as a loser so why go with that? Thought Mintz and Strong were good too if not used to their full potential.
Still real annoyed in how the film strives so hard to go against its own message. Outside of one character everyone's better off for having become supers. Didn't Hit Girl need any therapy? Could go on longer, but too lazy.

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #136 on: 02 May 2010, 22:27 »

Man, this isn't the worst movie I've seen all year, but it's far and away the most one-dimensional love interest I've seen in forever. I guess Kick-Ass worships this girl because she is 1. a girl, 2. boobs has boobs, and 3. once faked an interest in comic books? Definitely if one of my token homosexual friends told me he'd been faking his homosexuality (but for me!), and on top of it had been roaming the streets dressed to the nines in a green wetsuit like an absolute dipshit, fighting crime, etc. etc., I might I'd be mad for about 25 seconds, but then I'd be totes over it and we could have sex, right?

Then maybe postcoital, you could help me apply tanning lotion? (It's my single defining character trait, aside from wanting to rub naughty bits with Kick-Ass of course, ha ha ha   :angel: :angel: :-D :angel:)
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #137 on: 05 May 2010, 09:24 »

the total lack of character development in any of the supporting characters and continuity and incredibly grating narration becomes a little more tolerable if you just pretend the title of the movie is "hit-girl, the movie" and focus on those parts for the entire duration. in hindsight i totally agree with all of the criticisms leveled by everyone so far, but admittedly i still enjoyed this film a whole lot on a very cheesy and superficial level because as much as a lot of the rest of the movie sucked, that little girl who played hit-girl is badass. so i'll agree that in the big picture this film is really dumb and flawed but for that reason, i got to still admit i liked it because when it comes down to it i would probably watch this again solely because i enjoyed her performance so much.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #138 on: 07 May 2010, 20:09 »

The only difference between people who enjoyed it and people who didn't is how willing they are to roll with that.

HONK HONK STRAWMAN HONK HONK
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up