THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sewing Question  (Read 4578 times)

bunny_of_doom

• Not quite a lurker
Sewing Question
« on: 16 Nov 2009, 00:18 »

I feel like posting on the sewing thread when it's been months since the last post wouldn't be the smartest thing to do and just decided to post my question in it's own. Apologies in advance if this was a bad decision

Anyway... I’ve got a slip that’s pretty darn spiffy. In fact, I generally like it more than the outfits I wear over it. As such, I was wondering if there was any way to make a pattern out of the thing and sew a dress from it. I don’t really know how to sew, but I’ve got a sister with a sewing machine and an older aunt who’s pretty good with a needle. I figure between the two I should be able to give it a try over Christmas break, provided it’s actually possible.

The real question is, could this work or am I just going to ruin my grandmother’s slip?

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
Re: Sewing Question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2009, 12:54 »

Ooooh, I don't know the answer, but I'm really curious to see if someone else does as I'm kind of in the same situation!! 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

screamingfool

• Emoticontraindication
  • the terrible parable
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2009, 17:33 »

the easiest way to do it would be to undo the seams and trace the panels since that would include any material that would get used up the the hem - but this would force you to resew the slip and thin and stretchy materials are hard for a beginner project. if you can envision how much material the hems would need you could turn it inside out and pin it flat on the material you plan to make the dress out of and trace it plus 1/4 to 1/2 inch or so where the seams meet and more for the hem. pin it together and try it on before you sew it to make sure things are as they appear.

Also most manufactured clothes are run on a serger rather than a sewing machine which gives you a stronger bond using less material on the seam so set your machine up for short stitches and possibly set it to a slight zag pattern if you can. you may have to go back and reinforce things by hand as it gets a lot of wear. I made a dress for my first project on a sewing machine, so don't be intimidated. and have patience as you tune the tension and stitch pattern for your particular cloth.

good luck

wyrwulf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2009, 08:02 »

Before you tear it apart, look for books/instructions on making patterns from finished clothes. I have one such book, and it doesn't involve disassembly.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #4 on: 07 Dec 2009, 12:53 »

Maybe we should make this sewing quesitons in general.  Today, I'm going to buy a sewing machine.  I don't know what kind yet, but I know it's going to be cheap-ish and relatively simple since I've never done much sewing.  I'm going to be making a christmas tree skirt for my first project.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips for doing the edges since it isn't a straight line.  I'm thinking maybe add a trim to cover up any mistakes/unfinished edges?  Is this a silly/bad idea?
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up