James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Lydia
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2012, 08:42 »

She annoyed me but had potential for an interesting romantic plot development which I shouldn't mention because of the shipping rules.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2012, 08:56 »

Took me at least a minute to even remember who she was.

I think she added an interesting element to the plot during the whole Faye-Sven debacle. Someone who wasn't part of Faye's circle of friends, to be disapproving of Sven without necessarily being "on Faye's side". Or just to be someone who could interact with Sven without it getting mixed up in Dr. Corrine's tangled tale of coloured string.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2012, 09:46 »

I liked her because she still had an idealistic view of doing the right thing, without (apparently) any of the scratches and dents post-collegiate life bestows. Her "I'm double-majoring in Music and Being a Decent Human Being" is a keeper line for me. Someone like that could be a pain in real life, maybe -- if it wasn't so apparent her sense of right and wrong was organic and not parroted from a textbook.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2012, 12:55 »

She annoyed me but had potential for an interesting romantic plot development which I shouldn't mention because of the shipping rules.

I felt we knew so little about her to get annoyed. Oh well. I liked her but I don't miss her.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2012, 13:47 »

Threatening to bust up someone else's relationship doesn't seem right to me.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2012, 20:21 »

Oh.  Well, I liked her.  I kinda wonder what happened to her, but I guess after the semester ended, so did the internship...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2012, 22:43 »

Does anyone think Sven shouldn't have told Faye? He probably wouldn't have without Lydia's prodding.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2012, 22:48 »

She probably would have killed him if he hadn't. And then Dora would have murdered him again after Faye was done.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2012, 22:48 »

And Pintsize would've revived him a second time...for science!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:25 »

...and so the he could make him his undead minion.

I'm not sure how I feel about a zombie working for a robot, is that allowed?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Penheart

• Plantmonster
  • Cause the voices tell me to
« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2012, 07:28 »

I totally did not remember her until I read this. I actually liked her I actually thought she might join in the main cast now and then individually away from Sven. I can see so much potential for interaction for her character.

I don't think it would be allowed, at least not without a permit and Marten would probably have to sign a few things.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2012, 12:14 »

Mostly damage waivers. 

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2012, 17:56 »

Threatening to bust up someone else's relationship doesn't seem right to me.

In the case of it being because he's cheating on said relationship, I think it sounds perfectly right. Someone in a relationship should know if their partner is sleeping around, not only for the emotional ramifications, but for their own personal health, as well. How many times do you hear about someone getting an STD because their partner was seeing someone on the side and they didn't know?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2012, 18:05 »

I thing it's OK as long as it's not a ninja zombie working for a pirate robot.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Penheart

• Plantmonster
  • Cause the voices tell me to
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2012, 18:56 »

I thing it's OK as long as it's not a ninja zombie working for a pirate robot.

Pirate robot? Ninja Zombie? Please. Everybody knows the pirate robots were all captured by the authorities and either hung by their own wires or sent to live eternity in the pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney World. Where did you learn your history, textbooks?  :-P

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2012, 19:12 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2012, 23:16 »

I asked this in the WCDT but should have asked it here:

Wonder if there are any situations in QCVerse where an AI is a human's boss?

Perhaps Momo is due for a promotion?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2012, 08:06 »

The rule against posting in old threads has been repealed, so feel free to start a discussion in one of the AnthroPC-related threads.

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,24620.0.html would be a natural one.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2012, 12:12 »

In the past there were very often threads which in all decency needed to be left dead in peace - I guess this was the idea behind that informal rule.  However, I see no reason at all not to pick up an old discussion again when it is appropriate.  The forum software will warn you if it's older than six months (I think), but that is a longer interval than it used to warn after, and is only a precautionto see if you're sure.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Kombatkoala

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2012, 22:35 »

I liked Lydia. She threw an interesting twist in Sven's life forcing him to be a little more responsible. And Faye absolutely deserved to know when Sven slept around behind her back, if not due to their relationship(of sorts) then simply from a STD perspective. People deserve to know when the likelyhood of a communicable disease being given to them increases.
"Vodka is the enemy, so we shall consume it utterly!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2012, 22:48 »

He was using a barrier method.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #23 on: 22 Apr 2012, 22:56 »

And those aren't 100%. Nothing is, outside of abstinence, which Sven is certainly not practicing  :-D

Either way, Faye deserved to know. I'd be absolutely pissed if someone knew my partner was sleeping around and didn't tell me.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2012, 06:52 »

I kind of miss Lydia, when I remember she existed. She was a good foil for Sven, in a different way than Faye could just counter him.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2012, 08:05 »

Why do you suppose he told Lydia in the first place? Guilty conscience? Why Lydia in particular? Because she was nearby, or because sometimes it's easier to talk about things to someone who's not part of your regular circle?

One of the old-school advice columnists used to tell unfaithful spouses with the urge to tell their partners to just shut up. "Confession is good for the soul and bad for the marriage", she said.

Faye was dating Sven, not Lydia. It was Sven's responsibility to treat Faye decently. If he didn't, it wasn't Lydia's job to correct it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2012, 09:34 »

Interesting - certainly it wasn't Lydia's place to tell Sven what to do, but he did tell her, and while he didn't directly ask her opinion, it's hard not to assume that he wanted to know what she thought. 

Then again, he may just have been trying to warn her that shit was going to fly in both the vicinity and near future. 

Naah, he's not the type. 

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2012, 10:24 »

I rather liked Lydia. Wouldn't mind it at all, if she makes a comeback.

The way I read it  Sven had developed a feeling of guilt well before (an hour or two - at least) he spilled the news to Lydia. Also, she knew about Sven going to Gina's concert, so it was natural that she would ask about it right away. I don't think she would have actually told Faye - the threat to do so was simply a natural reaction in that situation. That threat was just so much in her outspoken character and very much in line with her previous interactions with Sven.

... but are you two veterans really telling me that this was not analyzed to death in this very forum at the time?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:06 »

As a veteran, I feel obliged to point out that age has severely affected my normally poor memory.

(to be honest, it may well have been before I joined... and even had it not been, the forums were a very different place back before the apocalypse)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2012, 11:23 »

Lydia's never had her own thread before, but if you use the forum search*, you'll find quite a lot of posts mentioning her, starting on 12 Sept 2008, when she first appeared.  If you search for Lydia and Gina, there are some comments on that business, too.

* Hint:
Use the menu button above, select advanced search, then you can limit the search to just the COMIC forum, and arrange the found posts in, say, date order.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2012, 18:32 »

Why do you suppose he told Lydia in the first place? Guilty conscience? Why Lydia in particular? Because she was nearby, or because sometimes it's easier to talk about things to someone who's not part of your regular circle?

Maybe a part of him -wanted- her to either tell Faye or give him the swift kick in the ass to fess up.

One of the old-school advice columnists used to tell unfaithful spouses with the urge to tell their partners to just shut up. "Confession is good for the soul and bad for the marriage", she said.

Again, I would rather have a relationship end, than stay with a cheater. That is one of the most severe betrayals of trust that can happen between two people. I'm sorry, but you fuck around on me, you're not getting another chance with me. The trust is gone, and there's no getting it back; the cheater didn't deserve it in the first place.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2012, 18:34 »

I think I remember reading something like that regarding deathbed confessions. Being upfront immediately is the honorable thing to do, but confessing right before you die so you don't have to deal with the repercussions? That's just selfish.

Also, in terms of giving someone another chance, this may just be me, but if I was dating/married to a girl that cheated on me, and she told me right away, there's a good chance I'd be able to move past it (circumstances permitting, of course). However, if she didn't tell me, and I found out through other means (or even worse, if she outright lied about it), it'd be done.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2012, 20:55 »

* Hint:
Use the menu button above, select advanced search, then you can limit the search to just the COMIC forum, and arrange the found posts in, say, date order.

A useful hint.

But only if you want waste a few hours of your life.

Not forgetting the fact that some of us have crossed that line ages ago. :psyduck:
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.
Pages: [1]   Go Up