• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AvP  (Read 11965 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
Re: AvP
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2009, 19:53 »

Sweet, I remember in Jan 99 (if I got the month correctly) I bought the PC Gamer for the demo disc of the Predator demo and promptly got my ass handed to me and loved it!
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #2 on: 04 Dec 2009, 19:51 »

http://kotaku.com/5418963/rebellion-refuses-to-sanitise-avp-for-australian-release

Good work Rebellion. I really like their attitude toward this and I think the industry taking this stance rather than pandering to the OFLC is the correct approach to take.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2009, 15:22 »

Predator 2 was about as coarse and gory as mainstream Hollywood get-- it required several cuts to avoid the NC-17 kiss of death-- yet it only warrants an M rating by OFLC standards. Same deal with Aliens; gore aside, it's a singularly relentless film once it gets rolling, and Bishop's fate* has probably been nightmare fodder for plenty of kids out there. I understand that some people hold that video games should be held to a higher standards due to the interactive nature of the medium, but I'm still rather curious as to where exactly they are drawing the line. It's hard not to suspect a bit of a double standard here.

*That bit should be exhibit A for how fucking insane it is to act like a scene is somehow less violent or disturbing just because the viscera isn't red.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2009, 15:49 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2009, 17:42 »

I dunno everything that happens to Bishop is a tiptoe through the tulips compared to everything involving androids in Alien.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2009, 18:09 »

Being decapitated and still talking -is- pretty hardcore, I suppose, but the frenetic pace of Aliens seems like a more fitting parallel to video games, so I guess the impaled/ripped in half thing came to mind first, particularly since it was a transparent "We just need someone to get ripped in half here because it'll be awesome" moment. After all, there isn't much reason for Bishop to be an android other than to provide a callback to the earlier film and to give them someone whose shit could get ruined.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2009, 18:12 by Alex C »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #6 on: 05 Dec 2009, 18:21 »

Also, to clarify, I would never, EVER try to argue that either of the films I mentioned carry a heavier psychological payload than the original Alien. I just tend to think that a body like the OFLC probably has some sort of ridiculous system that considers things like "How many cuss words and tits are there per minute?" very seriously when deciding whether a movie is "appropriate" or not. Things like "I damn near soiled myself when..." probably doesn't translate well to group think, so I'm less surprised to see Alien given an M rating than Predator 2.
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2009, 18:24 by Alex C »

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #7 on: 05 Dec 2009, 21:00 »

Yeah that's why I have hope that we'll be allowed to play Heavy Rain here. I can see it having serious adult themes, but since I don't see it having location damage or non-negative drug references or too much gore so it should get through fine.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec 2009, 01:49 »

Was really hoping this thread would have been started by KvP.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:23 »

I didnt realize how soon this game is coming out. Feb 16th! :laugh:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #10 on: 04 Feb 2010, 15:18 »

The demo's out!

Anybody played it yet? I'm at work so I haven't had the pleasure but you can bet your ass that I'll be downloading this shit pronto when I get home.

So far, I've heard good things.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 04 Feb 2010, 19:04 »

I wasn't impressed.

I mean, the stuff you can do is pretty cool. It's just that everyone else can too, which makes any one on one battle a race to see who pulls off a one-hit kill first and any battle larger than that basically a series of people taking advantage of someone else being distracted.

I'd probably be more impressed by a single player demo, but they made it multi and it's fairly obnoxious.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #12 on: 04 Feb 2010, 19:44 »

I have found no reason to play Marine.  All that happens is I keep getting Preda-gibbed.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 04 Feb 2010, 20:03 »

Yah, the Predator is seriously unbalanced. He was for AvP1 as well, but only against marines. Predators noticeably lacked the capacity to handle swarms of aliens.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #14 on: 04 Feb 2010, 21:36 »

Oh god I can't wait to check this out I played AvP2 online multiplayer so much you have no goddamn idea.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #15 on: 05 Feb 2010, 10:05 »

Having never played any of the previous AvP games, I gotta say that I thought it was pretty fun.

Being a marine is sufficiently scary, while being a Predator is sufficiently badass, and being a xenomorph is...just plain fun.

My only issue is not being able to look down the sights as a marine. seriously, what kind of shitty marine runs around firing from the hip when you are at risk of being eviscerated? oh boo hoo a couple of acid-blooded aliens and some gnarly hunters are after you, big fuckin deal, that's no reason to suddenly forget all your fancy military training, you jackass.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #16 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:53 »

It's a mixed bag for me. I remember playing the original to death as a marine, but I'm not terribly thrilled with the demo. I have a feeling that the fault is with the demo itself: deathmatch and one small, ugly map. If there are larger maps and better game modes, I will definitely pick this up.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #17 on: 05 Feb 2010, 15:00 »

Yeah, I'm gonna rent it when it comes out to check out the other maps and modes because I get the feeling that FFA is not really the point.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #18 on: 07 Feb 2010, 02:53 »

Also, what the fuck kind of shooter doesn't have a crouch button?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #19 on: 07 Feb 2010, 04:25 »

The kind where the character you play isn't a pussy.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #20 on: 07 Feb 2010, 12:01 »

Yeah, crouching. That'll fuckin' save ya.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 07 Feb 2010, 12:10 »

I gave this another shot as a marine and enjoyed it a bit more. You really do have to play marine as a jumpy, terrified, trigger happy goon. Constantly watching your motion sensor and creeping along and shooting at anything that moves.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2010, 00:16 »

Steadily walking in full view down the halls, unable to bend at the knees, with your penlight strapped to you gun, using a cup of water to track movement like that one scene in Jurassic Park.  Meanwhile, 3 different Aliens are behind you, one on the ceiling and 2 on each wall, with a Predator stealthed behind you.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #23 on: 09 Feb 2010, 10:06 »

the fun factor of that is not being a marine alone  :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kmTNObny3k&feature=related

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #24 on: 09 Feb 2010, 12:07 »

If only we could play Team Deathmatch.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #25 on: 09 Feb 2010, 21:57 »

I always thought that the AvP franchise woulda been an even better template for an L4D style game than zombies, particularly if they managed to make it actually scary. Granted, I doubt hitting an alien with a guitar would be as good of a strategy as hitting an infected with one is in L4D2, but that's a tradeoff I would have been willing to take. At the very least a cooperative campaign mode along those lines would be tight as hell even if there was only a level or two like that.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #26 on: 09 Feb 2010, 22:23 »

Far as I can tell, the Aliens RPG was largely going to be exactly that, but Sega is a Dick.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #27 on: 09 Feb 2010, 22:26 »

I give this game another shot every day and I can always only stomach one round before I'm either bored or too frustrated.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:19 »

solution:

1-select "xenomorph"
2-turn auto-transition ON

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2010, 10:57 »

not usually the sign of a good demo for a three-race fps when it's only fun playing one race
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2010, 12:09 »

but it's sooooo much fun :3
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #31 on: 10 Feb 2010, 14:38 »

I didn't say anything about fun.

Also, he said he was frustrated but didn't mention what species he meant specifically (if any) and I thought I'd mention a solution to one frustrating aspect of one of the species. Running around as an alien can be frustrating sometimes, but if you turn auto-transition on it becomes much much better.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2010, 14:53 »

Yeah, I figured out the auto switch within a few minutes of my first play. Still frustrating.

This deathmatch crap is just a really shitty way to introduce this game. I have no desire to ever buy it now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2010, 16:24 »

So Gamespot gave this game a 5.5 and I pre-ordered it anyway, gonna buy it tomorrow. Why? Because the main complaint with every review that I've read really is that the game is basically unchanged from AvP2, and since I'm really only buying this for the multiplayer and I'm used to the admittedly awkward control scheme already, so meh. I'm willing to believe that the other multiplayer modes are worth it, and the campaigns are going to be at least worth a run-through. Worst case scenario I sell it back in a few weeks. I'll still have plenty of game for a good while once I pick up Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2 (yes I'm am woefully behind right now, I know).
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #34 on: 16 Feb 2010, 18:47 »

Alright so I said fuck it and bought Bioshock 2. A friend bought it though and we've enjoyed the multi-player a lot so I still say critics can suck my balls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up