THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam's five day long sale  (Read 19157 times)

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
Re: Steam's five day long sale
« Reply #50 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:28 »

I would imagine it's the former. Steam pays a licence to be able to sell the game, and EA or whoever gives them a pile of activation codes to give out. It might depend on the publisher/developer though, in the case of Prey maybe Steam didn't expect to get any more keys? It's strange to think they'd "run out" of some codes.

Either way, by the time Mass Effect downloads on my awesome 1mbit connection, there will probably be keys available.
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #51 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:55 »

Although I'm not part of our software crew, I work for a company that does, in fact, make software as one of our products, and what y'all have described is basically correct.

You've only got so many keys sitting around at one time (either in your shop or given to a reseller) and once you run out, you have to run new ones.  Though not a hugely time consuming process, it's not exactly instant.   One of my customers needed a license for more machines than what they already had just the other day, and it involved a few phone calls and a couple of hours to make a valid key and get it out to the production site.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #52 on: 03 Jan 2010, 08:51 »

Then I'm still curious as to how they manage the amount of games sold, especially with the way they've been giving discounts. In theory it doesn't matter whether they sell 100 copies of Fallout 3 for $50 or 134 copies for $37.50, as long as Bethesda gets their cut of the $5k. Given that Steam holds a share of 70% in the digital distribution market, it's not surprising that they can pull this off. I'm guessing that they don't enjoy this kind of freedom, though.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #53 on: 04 Jan 2010, 12:19 »

Audiosurf is a lot of fun you guys.

Yes, yes, and yes again.

Got Portal and Mass Effect for ridiculously low prices. Nearly completed Portal. I should leave Mass Effect until I complete STALKER and Rome: Total War...but I probably won't.

EDIT: looks like I'll have to leave Mass Effect, they've run out of product keys  :-(

Rome : Total War is the fucking shit.

I gave an illegitimate download a shot without doing the tutorial and hated it.

After buying it and actually playing the campaign tutorial, it's possibly one of my favorites.  I also bought Empire while it was at discount so I could play around with that after I finish conquering.

Anyways, in my campaign game I started out as the Rome faction furthest South.  I took out the Carthaginians occupying the surrounding Italian Islands and invaded all of Africa.  At this point, the Egyptians started flanking my forces on the East side (as all my forces were moving from East to Western Africa).  So I doubled back and started regaining my cities to the East while negotiating peaceful ties with the Spanish faction, which is really the only faction that posed a threat to my already conquered Africa.  Anyways, I stared pushing further into Egyptian territory and discovered something fairly obvious. You shouldn't fuck with Egypt in this time period.  They're huge and merciless.  Playing on easy, I was able to overpower them, taking one city at a time with a group of 5 generals reinforcing each other.  Currently, I just took Alexandria and surrounding cities, leaving the North and the East to Egypt . . for now.  >:D
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 12:21 by DavidGrohl »

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #54 on: 10 Jan 2010, 19:14 »

eugh, Vanilla RTW?
Madness!
Play Europa Barbaicum. Shit's fresh.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #55 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:21 »

Not really a sale per se, but on the heels of the Aliens versus Predator reboot Rebellion has put up the original AvP for $5 on Steam. While the visuals are ancient, the marine section of the game is still tense as shit, due to the random spawning points Rebellion pussed out on for the sequel. Grab it.

Also it's worth noting that this is one of those things that you can't get around if you've got Vista or 7 - the old retail versions of AvP are only compatible with XP.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #56 on: 30 Jan 2010, 11:48 »

Steam has all the X-com games for 2 Euro. That's like... two snicker bars. A third of a comic magazine. Two minutes of sex with a pre-op transvestite whore.

What I'm saying is OMFG GO BUY.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #57 on: 30 Jan 2010, 13:16 »

I'm rolling the dice on Irrational announcing a new Xcom very soon.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #58 on: 01 Feb 2010, 10:33 »

That would be awesome.

awesome
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Nodaisho

« Reply #59 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:59 »

So if you have either Stalker game on Steam, you get $10 off Call of Pripyat, the new one. If you don't, and you don't have Clear Sky yet, Clear sky is $9.95 right now, buy Clear Sky, activate it, buy Call of Pripyat, have two games for the price of one. I'm getting CoP when I have a bit more cash, I hope the price stays that low that long.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41700/
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #60 on: 12 Feb 2010, 05:53 »

Holy shit yes!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #61 on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:14 »

Go buy the THQ pack.  It's a HUGE value for such a small price ($50).

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2539/

Company of Heroes series
Dawn of War I / II series
Full Spectrum Warrior series
Red Faction series
STALKER
Saints Row 2
Titan Quest / expo

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #62 on: 16 Feb 2010, 22:17 »

I would, but my problem is that I already have basically everything I want from the pack.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up