THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam's five day long sale  (Read 19159 times)

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
Steam's five day long sale
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:33 »

Going on now... there are some hella good deals on games at the moment.

I'm considering picking up Arkham Asylum for 25 bucks today.   Dragon Age is on sale too...
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2009, 06:54 by A Wet Helmet »

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
Re: Steam's five day long sale
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 07:01 »

Yeah. THQ Complete Pack...which would be great...but see my comments in the vitriolic letters thread :x

However I may pick up one of the other games. Maybe.
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2009, 07:12 »

You know, I was planning on picking up Dragon Age when it went on sale, but as it turns out, even with 25% off I can still get it cheaper at Direct2Drive UK's regular price. Speaking of which, They also have a Holiday Sale as of now.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2009, 08:32 »

Tell me more of this 'direct2drive'

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2009, 09:58 »

A whole thread and no link? http://store.steampowered.com/early-holiday

Some good deals and they change every day. Great discounts on Dragon Age and Grid for the next 20 odd hours.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2009, 11:26 »

Yeah, I suppose a link wouldn't have been a horrible idea.   I guess I just figured that anyone who uses steam knows how to find the store.

Whoops.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2009, 11:27 »

Tell me more of this 'direct2drive'

They sell games you can download and charge you either pounds or dollars, depending on if you are shopping from this site or this site, although there are some regional restrictions. I buy from them because it's a lot cheaper than Steam, that charges me euros.

Your avatar is hypnotising. What is it?
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2009, 11:38 »

(It's from this music video)

Cheers for the info, I was having a look and some games are expensive and some are cheap, I'll add it to my list for "shopping around"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2009, 00:10 »

Distinctive Charm Amazing Talent!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2009, 01:27 »

Oh man awesome, I was already gonna buy Dragon Age this weekend.  Thanks for the heads-up!

also, re: that video, so basically they are like the Spice Girls, only from Korea and actually attractive?
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 01:30 by est »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2009, 01:37 »

also also: someone sell me on Arkham Asylum.  Should I get it on sale here, or wait until the price comes down on the 360?  It looks like a 3rd-person melee-combat heavy game, which I'd probs prefer to play on the 360.  Is this assessment close to the truth?

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2009, 01:55 »

I think I'm getting Far Cry 2 while it is on sale. Best Buy is advertising it for $5, but that is without the DLC, with it it will probably be as much if not more, and I would rather have it on steam than on disc unless I plan on doing something that requires me using an older version of the game.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #12 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:17 »

also also: someone sell me on Arkham Asylum.  Should I get it on sale here, or wait until the price comes down on the 360?  It looks like a 3rd-person melee-combat heavy game, which I'd probs prefer to play on the 360.  Is this assessment close to the truth?

To find that out you could play the demo. Personally I wasn't too thrilled by it.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:39 »

Today... Left 4 Dead 2 on sale, and KOTOR for only $2.49

ackblom12

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2009, 10:45 »

Your assessment is right on the dot for Arkham Asylum. Get it for the 360 unless you happen to have a wired 360 controller that you can use for the PC.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2009, 14:15 »

Yeah, Arkham Asylum was pretty clearly designed for a controller rather than a keyboard and mouse. Unless you've got a huge boner for the PhysX stuff and a card that can handle it (which I assume you don't, because like nobody does), I'd wait for the 360 version.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2009, 15:34 »

Yes.

But also gliding and climbing and puzzle solving and crime detective stuff with GOOD voice acting and a sweet Batman story. BATMAN

I played it on PS3 and it was awesome, and I assume that it's jst as awesome as on 360.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #17 on: 27 Nov 2009, 16:53 »

If you haven't played either, Saints Row 2 and Titan Quest make the THQ deal worth it on their own. I think the rest of the stuff is some negligible war shooters and a boatload of RTSes. I haven't been into RTSes since Starcraft, personally.

KOTOR for $2.50 is pretty worth it too.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

« Reply #18 on: 27 Nov 2009, 18:41 »

If you haven't played either, Saints Row 2 and Titan Quest make the THQ deal worth it on their own. I think the rest of the stuff is some negligible war shooters and a boatload of RTSes. I haven't been into RTSes since Starcraft, personally.
And S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and all of the Red Faction games. I would have gotten that package if A) I had the money, and B) I didn't want to get my backup copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on disc, so I don't have to worry about auto-patching.

Far Cry 2 is installing now, looking forward to that. Mmmm, FAL. Yesterday I got three new games for $20 thanks to Steam and Black Friday sales, I'm not going to run out of games to play for a while.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2009, 19:10 »

I should get KOTOR
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #20 on: 27 Nov 2009, 19:21 »

Do it mother fucker.
It's so sweet.
So sweet.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2009, 10:11 »

Now they're offering World of Goo at 75% off. Did anyone bother to tell Valve that 2D Boy just had an extended pay-what-you-want sale for World of Goo?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2009, 10:19 »

Man I would've but I thought you were gonna
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2009, 21:00 »

Man, I missed the first day of this. I would have bought Dragon Age, too. Oh well.

Picked up Majesty 2 and Dead Space on the second day. M2 is obnoxiously difficult in some places.

Today's deals are eh, I think.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:31 »

Yeah, you're right. None of those games have I previously considered buying, except World of Goo which I already have.

If you wanted Dragon Age you can still get it at Direct2drive.com at $10 off. D2D UK has got Arkham Asylum for 50% off as a one-day sale, too. Still four hours until we can see what D2D US has got.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #25 on: 01 Dec 2009, 01:50 »

I just bought Mirror's Edge, Evil Genius and Monkey Island Special Edition for under $10 all up.  Nice.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #26 on: 01 Dec 2009, 09:22 »

And because I feel like advertising more discounts other than Steam's: You've got thirty-nine minutes left to get Mass Effect for five dollars.

Thirty-eight.

Zero. Time for 24-day-long one-day-only sales at D2D. Today, for the US there is Mirror's Edge, for the UK there is Trine.

But enough about D2D. What's more important is that you should buy Zeno Clash for 66% off on Steam. Like, right now.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2009, 12:12 by LTK »

Nodaisho

« Reply #27 on: 01 Dec 2009, 14:43 »

So mirror's edge is a one day only? I'm going to have to get that then, unless it is cheaper than $5 somewhere else. Christ, I'm spending so much on games, but so much less than I would be otherwise.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #28 on: 01 Dec 2009, 14:56 »

So mirror's edge is a one day only? I'm going to have to get that then, unless it is cheaper than $5 somewhere else. Christ, I'm spending so much on games, but so much less than I would be otherwise.
Yeah, that's just what they want you to believe.  :evil:

Really, though, after getting stuck on a lot of games I wasn't even remotely interested in with a 20-pack game deal that was just too good to pass up, I always remember to ask myself the question: Was I planning on buying this game in the first place? If the answer is yes, then you should get it at a discount. If the answer is no, then you should leave it, because what you're spending for the discounted game is still more than what you were thinking of spending in the first place, which is zero in this case. It helps to think about that when the holidays sales get you in a spending mood.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #29 on: 01 Dec 2009, 17:11 »

Man Mirror's Edge is pretty excellent. I love the style of the game, visually and gameplay-wise. I love that there's no hud telling you things you don't need to know. I love that you can take a gun off a dude and just throw it away and keep running.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #30 on: 01 Dec 2009, 17:14 »

Zeno Clash is on sale, awesome.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #31 on: 01 Dec 2009, 17:39 »

Yeah, that's just what they want you to believe.  :evil:

Really, though, after getting stuck on a lot of games I wasn't even remotely interested in with a 20-pack game deal that was just too good to pass up, I always remember to ask myself the question: Was I planning on buying this game in the first place? If the answer is yes, then you should get it at a discount. If the answer is no, then you should leave it, because what you're spending for the discounted game is still more than what you were thinking of spending in the first place, which is zero in this case. It helps to think about that when the holidays sales get you in a spending mood.
Bioshock: $5, wanted to play it, wasn't high on my list of things to buy (I tend to buy maybe 2 games a year normally, if that, no job means little money).
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Already had, but wanted to get a new DVD version since I don't have any working backup if my install goes bad, and I screw around with the game a lot modding it (which is why I don't go for it on steam, they update it automatically and that screws up patches). I might even do a clean install now.
Far Cry 2: Heard good things about it, wanted to get it, got it and the DLC for $10 rather than just the game for $5. Not happy with that purchase, not being able to go 20 feet in a vehicle without getting shot at is tiring, as is the tendency of enemies to take 6 or 7 7.62x51 bullets to the chest without flinching, and their ability to see through completely opaque foliage. That said, it is a lot of fun to bomb a convoy, or just blow the hell out of a vehicle with explosive crossbow bolts.
Mirror's Edge: $5, wanted it since before it came out, was planning on paying $20, but keeping an eye on Steam and the sale flyers in case it was cheaper.

$25 for four games I wanted, I know I'm happy with 2 purchases, probably 3. Good deal.

It's probably good I really can't spend any more, otherwise I would probably buy the new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game from amazon.de, since Germany got it november 2 or so, and we don't get it elsewhere in the world until Q1 2010.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #32 on: 01 Dec 2009, 18:00 »

Christ, I'm spending so much on games, but so much less than I would be otherwise.
Yes, welcome to consumer psychology.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

« Reply #33 on: 01 Dec 2009, 18:01 »

Protip: read the full topic before replying.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2009, 11:01 »

The five-day sales are over now, but there are still plenty of discounts available at lots of sites. A heads-up:
Steam has Counter-Strike for 75% off.
D2D still has the 24 days of Christmas sale: The US gets the Battlefield 2 collection today and Dragon Age tomorrow.
The UK gets Champions Online today and Rome: Total War tomorrow.
Impulse has twelve games on sale, among them Bioshock, East India Company, and Elven Legacy.
Play.com gives you two of these games for 25 pounds, and delivers them free.

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #35 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:32 »

Looks like they're doing a few more pre-holiday sales.   

Time sensitive click

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #36 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:59 »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for 2 dollars, awesome

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #37 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:10 »

Yeah, if anyone doesn't have it yet, you now have no excuse. You can barely get a small cup of plain coffee for $2 anymore.

They also have Braid for $2.50, which is pretty damn sweet because I was planning on getting it anyway, and now it is less than $3, rather than the $15 it was when I first looked last month.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #38 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:41 »

I was about to say that, even though Steam's regular prices are too high in euros compared to what they charge in pounds and dollars, their sales are virtually unbeatable. I mean, can you even count the number of games they've got discounted right now?

But then I saw Direct2Drive offering Dragon Age, the Digital Deluxe edition for 25% off, making it the price of the regular edition. Holy shit. I haven't seen a single game on Steam that beats it right now.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #39 on: 23 Dec 2009, 18:05 »

There's also a bunch of deals on Good Old Games until January 3rd. All their games are cheap anyway, so you can get some good olds for real real cheap now.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #40 on: 31 Dec 2009, 10:57 »

Now, there are some games that look like worth buying. On sale today:

Multiwinia + Darwinia -80%
Street Fighter 4 -75%
Shattered Horizon -75%
Crysis + Warhead -66%
Half-Life: Source -75%
Medieval 2: Total War -75%

Anyone who has not played Half-Life has no excuse to get it now, especially since we can't be sure of when Black Mesa Source is done. Myself, I bought Shattered Horizon. With this sale the player count will probably get a nice boost.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 11:15 by LTK »

Nodaisho

« Reply #41 on: 31 Dec 2009, 14:33 »

Honestly, I would rather play the original Half-Life than a source port. The quake-engine floaty physics were a lot of fun, it just wouldn't seem right without them.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #42 on: 31 Dec 2009, 14:38 »

I bought Rome: Total War from yesterday.  I love strategy and haven't touched the series, yet.  If it's good, I'll consider buying Empire or Napoleon : TW.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #43 on: 31 Dec 2009, 17:32 »

Errrgh.  I hate Steam sales because I now have a laptop that can run Bioshock and I've found out that I have 0 self control. 

Half Life 2
Portal
Ben There, Dan That
Max Payne 1 and 2
Darwinia
Jade Empire
Puzzle Quest
Torchlight
Audiosurf

I like having awesome new games, especially when I probably paid less than 50 bucks to get all of those. 

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #44 on: 31 Dec 2009, 21:03 »

Street Fighter 4 ten bux aww yeah.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #45 on: 02 Jan 2010, 05:37 »

Just got Torchlight. It's got everything great from Diablo, and a couple of other worthwhile points, so it's quite epic. Good to take a break from dialogue-driven stuff like Dragon Age and kill stuff continually for an hour.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
« Reply #46 on: 02 Jan 2010, 06:34 »

Good to take a break from dialogue-driven stuff like Dragon Age and kill stuff continually for an hour.

This should probably be in the Dragon Age thread, but since you mentioned it here...

I should *really* be into Dragon Age.  Honestly I should.  I was a HUGE Baldur's Gate fan, and even dropped three grand on a computer in 1998 so that I would have the ultimate gaming rig to play that game (and got a whopping 7 gig hard drive to so I could do a complete install!!)   I played through BG and BG 2 probably 15 times total.    Dragon Age seems to be everything I want from a video game, except... there are SO many damn cut scenes and the dialogue is SO long each time that it bores me out of my skull.   I want to kill more shit.    So I keep turning it off and playing other things.  Despite having started half a dozen different characters, I haven't gotten very far on any of them.

I'm bummed by this,   I really am.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #47 on: 03 Jan 2010, 01:49 »

Audiosurf is a lot of fun you guys.

Mein Tumblr

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #48 on: 03 Jan 2010, 03:00 »

Audiosurf is a lot of fun you guys.

Yes, yes, and yes again.

Got Portal and Mass Effect for ridiculously low prices. Nearly completed Portal. I should leave Mass Effect until I complete STALKER and Rome: Total War...but I probably won't.

EDIT: looks like I'll have to leave Mass Effect, they've run out of product keys  :-(
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2010, 03:22 by evilbobthebob »
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #49 on: 03 Jan 2010, 07:13 »

Huh, that's two games they've ran out of keys for. Steam must really be going mad with those discounts. Although Mass Effect is still available for purchase, while Prey wasn't anymore. I wonder why? I never really thought about the role of the middle man in digital distribution. The product itself is not physical, so the rules of supply and demand regarding one game should work differently, since the cost of reproducing one game is essentially zero. So how does that work? Does Steam purchase a license from the developer to sell their game for a cut of the profits, much like we buy a license to play it? Or does Steam buy a limited number of activations equal to the cost of the games, meaning they have to sell them in order to make profit?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up