THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial and Post-Industrial music.  (Read 29333 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Industrial and Post-Industrial music.
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 21:02 »

Shitcocks are starting threads where they overintellectualise vapid shit. So this is time to start an industrial (and post-industrial!) thread, because fuck those people and their boring stupid shitarse music for shitcocks.

What is industrial music

It is NOT this.

It IS this.

It is NOT this

It IS this.

Industrial is when you take the ethos of punk and apply it to art music instead of rock music. The original industrial acts were like "we aren't fucking trained composers or jazz musicians or some bullshit but we can make a real fucking statement without being Karlheinz fucking Stockhausen."

Industrial music is ugly and beautiful and you will absolutely hate it because you have no fucking taste and you should die.

Einsturzende Neubauten - Let's Do It a Dada
Laibach - Geburt Einer Nation
Monte Cazazza - A Is For Atom
Nurse With Wound - The Self Sufficient Sexual Shoe
Test Dept - Total State Machine

Talk about industrial! You fucks! But don't talk about shitty industrial rock poser bollocks arse shit! If you're gonna talk about industrial rock talk about awesome shit like Snog, Foetus, Wiseblood, Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft and Die Krupps. You can talk about EBM if you like but be sensible. Come on you fucks. Don't let the stupid fucking retarded little shit-eating fake fuckarse pop fuckcunts own this fucking shit.

LETS GET UGLIER!

FUCK YOU ALL!

Genocide Organ - Hail America
The Grey Wolves - Bread of Faith
SPK - SLOGUN
Sutcliffe Jugend - First Victim: With Knife, Left to Die With Many Cuts
Whitehouse - Why You Never Became a Dancer

FUCK YOU ALL HATE YOU ALL SO MUCH

TALK ABOUT POST-INDUSTRIAL AND DARK AMBIENT.

ESPECIALLY COLD MEAT INDUSTRY.

Blood Axis - Reign I Forever
Coph Nia - Hymn to Pan
In Slaugher Natives - Chaos Breeding
MZ.412 - Infernal Affairs

OR JUST ANY MARTIAL INDUSTRIAL SHIT OR TOTENPOP OR ANYTHING I DON'T CARE

JUST SOME DECENT MUSIC PLEASE.

there was some dude in the mediaf!re thread who seemed pretty promising.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 15:23 by KharBevNor »
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
Re: Industrial and Post-Industrial music.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 21:08 »

Who the hell thought Rammstein is industrial?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2009, 21:09 »

That was probably me. I put up every Coil album I had back when it was the Sendspace thread.

Anyway GODFLESH
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2009, 22:10 »

I can't really think of anything to add right now other than that Einsturzende Neubauten is one of my favorite groups ever. Maybe in the morning.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2009, 22:59 »

I recently came across some recordings of TG Live, back when they were still part of COUM Transmissions, I think. I have a recording of the first show they ever played but true to their style they played in a sealed room and the audience listened to the performance from the other side of a wall, and the recording shows it. More a piece of musical history than anything.

There's one they played for a boarding school of 8-16 year old boys. That's a fun one.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2009, 23:06 »

Can we talk about Coil?
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2009, 23:28 »

No fuck you. Coil was too beautiful for this world.

There was a $140 mint condition copy of The Ape of Naples + New Backwards LP up in Denver but all of a sudden I have no money and it's scary :[ I want it so bad though
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2009, 23:43 »

Where was that, KvP? Not going to buy the record, but I don't know what the good record stores are around here, only one I know is one off the west side of Pearl Street Mall in Boulder, and I don't have many occasions to go through Boulder, or enough money to justify paying for gas to go down to Boulder just to go browse at a record store.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:40 »

That would be Bart's, which is a pretty decent record store, where I get most of my vinyl because I have more reason to be in Boulder than Denver. The record store with Ape of Naples is Twist & Shout, which is on Colfax in Denver. By all accounts it's a record store on par with any you can find in larger cities. They have a beat-up used CD copy of the ANS Sessions for $60 or thereabouts, which sounds about right.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2009, 04:06 »

Ah, okay. I don't really go for the expensive old albums thing, but I do like stopping by record stores whenever I'm driving somewhere. If I can't find it locally I usually have to order off of Barnes and Noble's website, since they have decent prices and actually have selection, and if you are ordering $25 or more you get free shipping. I would prefer to buy from some place that isn't a giant corporation, though.

On-topic, was Ministry industrial? I was under the impression that they were, but they don't sound like what you linked as being industrial.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2009, 10:18 »

As far as proto-industrial goes, I like Cromagnon, whose one album from 1968 seems to prefigure everything from Throbbing Gristle to Einstürzende Neubauten to Coil even though, both sonically and thematically.  To my knowledge, though, the only direct influence they seem to have was making enough impression on Steven Stapleton to get on the NWW list.

Ritual Feast of the Libido
Toth, Scribe I

Personally, I need to consume more current-generation industrial.  I still love the stuff the old-guard folks like C93 and NWW continue to put out, but I don't really know too much about who's pushing the musical boundaries in 2009 like those guys did in the early 80s (excepting current musicians who collaborate with the 1st generation groups---Andrew Liles, irr.app.(ext.), etc).  Khar, who'd you say are good recent industrial bands?
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:35 »

On-topic, was Ministry industrial? I was under the impression that they were, but they don't sound like what you linked as being industrial.
Ministry started off as a New Romantic band (opened for The Culture Club on tour), then became post-industrial in the Skinny Puppy vein (though they were better at it than Skinny Puppy),  then became industrial rock with Land of Rape and Honey, then took on thrash elements with Psalm 69, then became narced-out sludge for a good decade, then became industrial rock again with Animositisomina, then lost Paul Barker and went full-on thrash until they quit. Personally I prefer their post-industrial phase, though the New Romantic stuff is underrated.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2009, 12:38 »

GODFLESH

Oh yeah, Gotta love Godflesh, specially Streetcleaner
You breed! Like Rats!

On-topic, was Ministry industrial?

They are industrial[Rock] imo and also flirted with metal a lot of times. Their last albums were very metal [and there were some big thrash influence in the last albums but I still hear a little of industrial here and there but not too much]...
I know that this isn't the best argument, but all the people I know and even those that has been into music longer than twice my age say that Ministry [at least the stuff like "The Mind..."] is obviously industrial.
Gotta love this song live

and went full-on thrash until they quit.

I don't think it is "full-on" thrash since there's still this industrial vibe going on. But yeah, the last albums are still very very thrashy [but very good too!]
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2009, 12:41 by Mr. Doctor »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2009, 13:37 »

As far as recent industrial goes Thighpaulsandra is pretty much the only youngish dude I can think of (he's probably not even that young) who's still keeping on with late 70's-early 80's industrial. He's really fucking good at it too. Was part of Spiritualized until last year, and was as an integral part of Coil in the 00's. Look at this bitch -

Like all good industrial artists, he believes in the magic power of gay sex.
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2009, 14:32 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

tricia kidd

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:20 »

ironically, one of the best bands doing old-style industrial sounds remotely recently is Tarentel, who used to sound like Generic Mogwai Influenced Band #12 (hey, it was only 2000).

check their '04 album We Move Through Water and the Paper White/Big Black Circle EPs.  one might argue they're more "music concréte" but that's splitting hairs.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2009, 15:12 »

Thighpaulsandra
Yes, I'd been meaning to check out his solo stuff (if for nothing but the greatness of "Red Birds Will Fly Out of the East and Destroy Paris in a Night") but forgot.  Thank you for reminding me. 

Tarentel sound pretty good too.  Good stuff all around.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2009, 22:53 »

quote of the year
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2009, 06:08 »

ORANGE! GRAPHIC! DILDO! SUNSHINE HORSE!
SQUINTS THROUGH THE GREENHOUSE TALL
YOU BASTARD! YOU BASTARD!

(great album)

Necessary industrial music

Don't think you've quite got the hang of this.

Rynne, I would also recommend CoH and maybe Deutsch Nepal.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:16 »

How're they not inudstrial? They have factory in their name can't get more industrious than that.

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #20 on: 14 Dec 2009, 13:36 »

Early Swans is pretty great, Filth especially

tricia kidd

« Reply #21 on: 14 Dec 2009, 14:22 »

all Swans is amazing music, though i wouldn't really call any of their output "industrial".
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2009, 14:31 »

Rynne, I would also recommend CoH and maybe Deutsch Nepal.

Thanks.  CoH I've heard of but not heard, while Deutsch Nepal is completely new to me.  If I'm lucky I'll be able to get to a music store that specializes in esoteric music this weekend, maybe pick something up.  If not, I know where my Xmas money is going.

Re: Swans, I've always considered them about as industrial as Foetus, which is to say, "uh, a bit, kinda, I guess."  There's no denying Swans, Foetus and similar artists started out mining similar sonic veins as the Industrial records folks at the same time (not to mention subsequently influencing a lot of the same bands that followed them) but came at it from a different direction.  As far as early Swans go, I love "Time Is Money (Bastard)".

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: 15 Dec 2009, 06:10 »

Where would one draw the line for say, old-school EBM(such as F242, FLA, Die Krupps,etc. ) and industrial?  Are they kissing cousins or closer to the same thing?  What about more current acts like NTT or say, early Antigen Shift (like the album Next to Departed), Iszoloscope, ESA, Pneumatic Detach, etc.?

Either way, my hat always tossess out Skinny Puppy's Last Rights.  Perhaps the most 'industrial' album they made; certainly the most difficult but worthwhile.

tricia kidd

« Reply #24 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:48 »

i think foetus is pretty definitely industrial.  whatever he is, he's awesome, except for a couple recent albums (though LOVE was a fucking great return to form).

front 242/nitzer ebb/etc. i would say is industrial.  242 certainly intended to be, they always rejected the "EBM" label.  whatever they are, they're awesome.

i think the most industrial skinny puppy album is vivisectvi.  much more so than last rights.  though to be fair last rights was their last good cohesive album.

vivisectvi is still way better.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2010, 19:07 »

I suppose it all depends on how you define industrial. EBM and its related genres aren't really a subgenre of industrial so much as an offshoot. You can definitely see the roots of EBM in Clock DVA, Cabaret Voltaire, Portion Control (especially Portion Control), even Throbbing Gristle. It's all tied in with the crossover of industrial with minimal synth, coldwave and Neu Deutsche Welle. I don't think it's any accident that Front 242 sprang up in Belgium, in the middle of Britain, Germany and France.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2010, 14:51 »

quote of the year

Sig'd

sc13ntific

• Plantmonster

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 22 Jan 2010, 05:53 »

What about Cindytalk, or Test Department? Too ambient or not-ugly enough?
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:31 »

I remember some Test Dept. from way back when. They were okay! Definitely on the ambient side.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:40 »

Are we talking about the same Test Dept.?

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:49 »

not sure. These guys were whom I was thinking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Dept
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:07 »

Yeah. I wouldn't call them gentle or ambient.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:40 »

ok, they were a barely remembered band from a mixtape a guy made me in 1985. :P
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2010, 22:41 »

Yeah, I saw that.
 :-(
Wax Trax! Infromed so much of my early listening and loving of this sort of music when I first got into it in high scholl back in the early '90s.  I realize they're really only a shadow of their former selves now, but still...

I will hold up the three disc Waz Trax!: Black Box collection against any label comp any day of the week.

tricia kidd

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2010, 11:36 »

I will hold up the three disc Waz Trax!: Black Box collection against any label comp any day of the week.

that thing is severely awesome.  someone should upload it to the MF thread, our copy was lost in the fire.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #37 on: 23 Jan 2010, 14:19 »

give me a day or two, and you'll have it again.  

Edit: actually.  just give me fifteen minutes to make up the post and it'll be there!
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2010, 14:28 by dancarter »

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #38 on: 23 Jan 2010, 15:17 »

Aw man, I'd been wanting to get into industrial for ages because I liked the idea of it but had never actually liked any of it that I'd listened to. This thread is great for trying out bands I'd never even heard of.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2010, 15:32 »

I'm DJing for the first time this coming Sunday. It's gonna be awesome. Lots of industrial and old school goth. Not sure why I'm posting this. Self congratulation I guess?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #40 on: 01 Feb 2010, 04:19 »

Alrighty then, there seem to be more than a few people extremely clued up as to musical genres in here.

Now, this has been *bugging* me for lord knows how long.

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - are they actually industrial?

Now, I can see it with "A Crime for All Seasons", but I can't see "Gay Black and Married" as an industrial album, somehow. *cough*

I'm terrible as far as musical genres go.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

tricia kidd

« Reply #41 on: 01 Feb 2010, 08:15 »

My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - are they actually industrial?

kind of.  their early stuff has industrial elements, but it's the EBM/dancy end of the spectrum.

amokrecordings

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2012, 12:40 »

Check out this new heavily analog post-industrial album by Canadian experimental artist Justin Scott Gray... The entire album was created using only a Dave Smith Mopho monophonic analog synth keyboard.

FREE DOWNLOAD From Amok Recordings:
http://www.amokrecordings.com/3.0/mynewsynth.html

Online Streaming From The Labels' Bandcamp:
http://amokrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/my-new-synth
Pages: [1]   Go Up