THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So iTunes.  (Read 3054 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
So iTunes.
« on: 24 Nov 2009, 10:53 »

So a funny thing has been going on recently, and I can't figure out how to stop it or prevent it or even what exactly is happening. Here is the gist:

Last week I noticed that my Alarm Clock program suddenly stopped playing my selected mp3 and switched to beeps instead. Annoying, but I didn't really think much of it, since the program is (I think) open source, so perhaps there was a bug? Dunno, it was free, not complaining. Then the next day I opened iTunes for the first time in a couple of days and found that my library was empty, my playlists missing, as though I had never used iTunes at all, like it was defaulted to factory settings, stock, new from the store, whatever you want to call it. I was baffled. I ran quickly (and metaphorically) to my iTunes Media folder to see where the files went, but they were all there, intact, as though nothing had happened.

We had a bit of a scuffle, iTunes and I, in the process of putting all my music back into the library, because I forgot to change the default setting that means iTunes duplicates every file I put into it and places this "new" file into the iTunes Media folder, which meant that I did not have enough hard drive space to put my music back (30 gigs, yeah, my hard drive is only 75). Fixed. Done. Everything back in order.

Sometimes I have a song stuck in my head, and all I want is to hear that one track, right? So yesterday I go through Path Finder, or finder or Quicksilver or whatever My Computer equivalent you want to think of, and suddenly see that half of my music files are missing. Just gone. I check the trash/Recycle Bin, but it is empty. I do not have Time Machine, because it does not support OS X 10.4.11. So I go to the likeliest culprit, iTunes, only to be baffled again. There is all my music, as though nothing was wrong. All the mp3s play (I think, I haven't checked them all yet), even though their files are missing.

Now, I know that there have been reported instances of iTunes updates sneakily deleting pirated music, and to that I say, ok, dick, but understandable I guess? But the files that appear to be missing from my hard drive entirely were about half and half. For instance, all my 40s jazz and big band music came directly from CDs of my parents' and grandparents', so that was not illegally downloaded, and yet it is missing too.

What the hell is going on? Why can I still play my mp3s when apparently they don't exist? Where are my files really hiding? This is getting to be super irritating, and I am actually starting to be a little afraid to hook up my external, where everything is backed up, because I don't want... whatever it is to happen there too.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
Re: So iTunes.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2009, 11:18 »

Well, if you open the properties box of the songs that are 'missing' but still play, that tells you where on your computer the songs are.
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2009, 12:00 »

They should be all in one place though. I have never had this problem, how bizzare.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2009, 12:01 »

Maybe they somehow became hidden?
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2009, 13:01 »

So what I found is quite odd. The entirety of my music files were in my Shared folder. Which I have never used, on account of not having figured out how to bar everyone except myself from directly accessing my whole hard drive. What files are in my iTunes Media folder are... copies? Of some. Not even half.

I am so confused.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2009, 13:06 »

Depends on the settings in your iTunes.  Unfortunately you're on a Mac so I can't walk you through it.

Paging Joe Hocking

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2009, 17:00 »

Man he ain't ever gonna see that in here
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2009, 19:00 »

It'll come up on his pager.

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
« Reply #8 on: 24 Nov 2009, 19:05 »

Man, we might need to break out the Hocking signal.  Just shine that shit in the sky and he'll be hear in no time.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Zingoleb

« Reply #9 on: 24 Nov 2009, 19:11 »

Have you tried disabling shared libraries under Parental Controls?

iTunes>Preferences>Parental Controls

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 24 Nov 2009, 19:33 »

I figured it would show up on his google alert for his own name....

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 24 Nov 2009, 19:38 »

It probably has something to do with the location of your iTunes Music folder. If you go to 'Preferences' and then 'Advanced', it should show you the default location. That's where iTunes looks for all your music files. I'd recommend copying everything to your external, deleting it off of your main drive. Then create a new folder, set it as your music folder, and copy all of the files into iTunes (not the folder itself, but the program). iTunes will copy all the music into the folder you've selected and you should be golden.

If that doesn't work then I'm baffled.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2009, 22:14 »

I had a vaguely similar experience.

Some of my music had disappeared, and music I had never heard of took it's place. Turns out, me and my mother's library got mixed up.
This has happened 3 times.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

You Are Brahman!

• Plantmonster
    • Rumbelow
« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2009, 16:14 »

If you have not, go ahead and tell iTunes that you want to worry about folders yourself.  (Keep iTunes folder Organized)

Edit > Preferences > Advanced

Uncheck that box. 
That might prevent the doubling of files in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up