THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 08:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are you looking forward to in the New Year?

Nothing - I don't see the new year being any better than the last
- 6 (11.1%)
The people of the world to suddenly realize that being asses to each other is just a bad idea.
- 21 (38.9%)
Screw that nice shit, where's my flying car?
- 12 (22.2%)
Pancakes
- 15 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 21 to 25 Dec 2009  (Read 59392 times)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
Re: WCT 21 to 25 Dec 2009
« Reply #100 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:22 »

10 Generate super-awkward moment
20 Things go badly
30 Meet another friend
40 GOTO 10
No. Just no. No GOTO. NO FRIGGIN' GOTO, DAMMIT! BAD! BAD!
*pants*
Duuh, sorry for lashing out like that. Professional reflexes at play (and fear of velociraptors).
Here's how it should be properly coded to ensure disaster:
Code: [Select]
while(faye.hasIssues())
{
  AwkwardMoment oops = faye.talksTo(Friend(faye,"male").randomPick());
  oops.getWorse();
  faye.issues.add(oops.getResult());
}
(heh, this forum has a "code" container, I guess it's not used very often around here)
And that's just a Java (ish) version. Behave, or I'll go Perl on you.

EDIT: and I apologize for this exceedingly nerdy post. I tend to lose my temper when "GOTO" is involved.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 16:28 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #101 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:30 »

That code doesn't even have an exit condition, it is an infinite loop.

Very. Bad. Form.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #102 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:46 »

I wouldn't know if i was bad form or not - the last time I had to actually prepare a computer program, it was on punch cards.....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #103 on: 23 Dec 2009, 17:01 »

Since "The Talk" concluded with Marten insisting Faye get help and get out of what he (correctly) referred to as "stasis," he'd be something of an ass to be upset that Faye has made progress (even realizing what her past actions really amounted to seems to me to be progress). Which, of course, may not stop him, but one can hope.

Specifically, let's hope he tells her "That's great!" next strip. Or whenever regular programming resumes.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

akronnick

« Reply #104 on: 23 Dec 2009, 17:10 »

Jeph tweeted a little while ago that tonight's strip involves Marten and Fayes relationship and how hard it is to write, so hopefully we won't be cliff-hangered until tomorrow.

He also said something about a "Very Swet-tits New Year" so Yay?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #105 on: 23 Dec 2009, 17:35 »

That code doesn't even have an exit condition, it is an infinite loop.

Very. Bad. Form.
Well, it was all about ensuring disaster. If I had wanted to put an exit condition, I could have involved the object drCorinne somewhere, for example. As an instance of Therapist class, it has that nifty method tryToHelpSolveIssue(Sicko patient) that can invoke the workOnIssue(Issue issue) of the Sicko class. The result depends on many properties of the Therapist and Sicko objects, but...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #106 on: 23 Dec 2009, 17:46 »

Since "The Talk" concluded with Marten insisting Faye get help and get out of what he (correctly) referred to as "stasis," he'd be something of an ass to be upset that Faye has made progress (even realizing what her past actions really amounted to seems to me to be progress). Which, of course, may not stop him, but one can hope.

Specifically, let's hope he tells her "That's great!" next strip. Or whenever regular programming resumes.
Well, this is Marten we're talking about. Of course it will stop him. Now, even if he's pretty much a staple genuine nice guy, he has his mischievous sides, so he might 1) briefly act upset just to mess with Faye or 2) merrily snark about it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #107 on: 23 Dec 2009, 20:32 »

Faye has finally come to the realization that she may, indeed, be a bitch.

In other news, the Earth shifted on it's axis this morning, causing the planet to fly into the sun.

I thought that that would be Hell freezing over

Actually, Hell is probably going to be getting hit with a major snowstorm in a few hours.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

vettechinohio

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #108 on: 23 Dec 2009, 21:30 »

"Flower-Pits?!"

LOVE IT.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 21:38 by vettechinohio »
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

zagraf

« Reply #109 on: 23 Dec 2009, 21:42 »

I love it when Faye speaks openly about how she feels, instead of hiding behind snark and sarcasm.  A "d'aww" strip indeed.

westrim

« Reply #110 on: 23 Dec 2009, 21:54 »

D'awwwwwwwwwwwww

I wouldn't know if i was bad form or not - the last time I had to actually prepare a computer program, it was on punch cards.....

Holy crap! You must be, like 40 or something! (In a related note, I found a hard drive of my dad's this morning in the garage. From 1985. It was horrifying.)

Actually, Hell is probably going to be getting hit with a major snowstorm in a few hours.

I presume you mean Hell, Michigan.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 21:59 by westrim »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #111 on: 23 Dec 2009, 22:26 »

Daawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

*Rising swell of Violin music*

Nice to see Faye growing a bit in this one though.

I'm just glad that Tai doesn't use Brute 33
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #112 on: 23 Dec 2009, 22:28 »

D'awwwwwwwwwwwww

I concur.

You are correct, sir.
Just another Joe like 46

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #113 on: 23 Dec 2009, 23:38 »

"You are a true friend flower-pits." I love it.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #114 on: 24 Dec 2009, 00:26 »

She's had the boy by the figurative-if-not-literal balls almost their entire relationship, and she's crying that she'll lose him over this?  I don't blame him for folding, but honestly she's emasculated him to the point where she could have smashed his guitar to tiny bits, right in front of him, and he'd still have forgiven her.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #115 on: 24 Dec 2009, 02:04 »

Daawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I would've thought she'd use English Leather, myself. And I think there at least needs to be some woodwinds in that orchestra.

Also, I'm glad to see some folks have never had to be as vulnerable as Faye is in this strip. It's not a fun place to be.

Time to join the chorus: Daawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #116 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:53 »

Daawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It would not entirely surprise me if Tai just kept the flowery one as a backup for herself and made Marten use it as a joke  :-P

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #117 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:24 »

Holy crap! You must be, like 40 or something! (In a related note, I found a hard drive of my dad's this morning in the garage. From 1985. It was horrifying.)

Yes, and I can remember when a Commodore 64 and the Vic 20 were the height of personal computing technology with a whopping 64K of memory, and tape drives. 

There's the the positive nostalgia I reserve for the early days of Citadel minis and the early days of dating my wife, and then there is the "look how far we've come, baby".

And back on topic, Marten has obviously forgotten that the platonic friends hug requires you to keep your hand off friend's hips and ass. 

[/quote]
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #118 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:29 »

And the result of yesterday's poll:

What are you expecting from Christmas?

Nothing - I don't celebrate the season of overconsumption  10 (31.3%)
Somthing thoughtful and unexpected  9 (28.1%)
The family to squabble all flippin' day  9 (28.1%)
To have my faith in humanity renewed for another year  4 (12.5%)

Total Voters: 32

Apparently, there are a lot of you who may be somewhat upset with the loss of religious sentiment for Saturnalia, Yule, celbration of the Birth of Christ, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, etc. 

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #119 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:53 »

D'awwwwwwwwwwwww

He's probably more like 50, unless he worked for a company that was really behind the times.  Or the government.  Surprisingly, large organizations like the government and the really big businesses are sometimes more likely to be behind on current technology than smaller groups, simply because their size means that it takes a considerable investment to upgrade.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #120 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:30 »

D'awwwwwwwwwwwww

He's probably more like 50, unless he worked for a company that was really behind the times.  Or the government.  Surprisingly, large organizations like the government and the really big businesses are sometimes more likely to be behind on current technology than smaller groups, simply because their size means that it takes a considerable investment to upgrade.

Damn kids - no sense of history! 

I still have the VT100 and the 800 baud modem I used to write my thesis with on the mainframe...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #121 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:40 »

I wrote my thesis on  a electronic typewriter.  And for your information that computer program was written in highschool.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #122 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:42 »

Daawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It would not entirely surprise me if Tai just kept the flowery one as a backup for herself and made Marten use it as a joke  :-P

It was probably left behind in the library, and she keeps it in the "Lost & Found" drawer of her desk.  

Along with several condoms and maxi pads (unused) (they fell out of girl's bags when rummaging for other stuff), several pair of glasses, a dozen notebooks and about 30 umbrellas.  

The employees use the umbrellas more than anything else

--former library employee
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #123 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:50 »

Apparently, there are a lot of you who may be somewhat upset with the loss of religious sentiment for Saturnalia, Yule, celbration of the Birth of Christ, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, etc.  
You got that right. I mean, no bonfires, my employer got angry when I told her she was a "silly clunk," and no groups walking around naked and singing in the streets—not one! Darn kids—no sense of tradition whatsoever.  Some fool wearing his freedman's cap actually tried to tell me it had something to do with 'Santa.' Like there's any gens named that.

SleeperCylon

« Reply #124 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:07 »

I would certainly hope Marten isn't capable of the dickishness to begrudge somebody for not revealing her father's suicide to him fast enough.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #125 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:13 »

but honestly she's emasculated him to the point where she could have smashed his guitar to tiny bits, right in front of him, and he'd still have forgiven her.
Hehehe... I thought I was the only one who thought that way. Nothing really wrong with Marten, but I think that this comic went way too fast and maked me feel like Marten will forgive pretty much everything.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #126 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:36 »

You got that right. I mean, no bonfires, my employer got angry when I told her she was a "silly clunk," and no groups walking around naked and singing in the streets—not one! Darn kids—no sense of tradition whatsoever.  Some fool wearing his freedman's cap actually tried to tell me it had something to do with 'Santa.' Like there's any gens named that.

Something similar happened to me.  Must be some sort of barbarian conspiracy.  All the votive offerings on the trees, this individual also claimed to be working with elves.  Clearly it is something strange from Germania, Hibernia or Caledonia....

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #127 on: 24 Dec 2009, 13:25 »

D'AWWWWWWW.
Take you to the stabbing cabin.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #128 on: 24 Dec 2009, 13:52 »

Something similar happened to me.  Must be some sort of barbarian conspiracy.  All the votive offerings on the trees, this individual also claimed to be working with elves.  Clearly it is something strange from Germania, Hibernia or Caledonia....
Gods, I hope not. Some of those people impale perfectly useful animals and servants on trees, y'know. I'm perfectly willing to bankrupt myself on viands and wines to demonstrate my status, but that sort of wastefulness is going too far.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #129 on: 24 Dec 2009, 14:00 »

I don't blame him for folding, but honestly she's emasculated him to the point where she could have smashed his guitar to tiny bits, right in front of him, and he'd still have forgiven her.

Oooh yeah! Because a real man holds grudges, right? Or at least lays on the passive-aggressive guilt trips for a couple of months. What a mensch!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

zagraf

« Reply #130 on: 24 Dec 2009, 14:17 »

Oooh yeah! Because a real man holds grudges, right? Or at least lays on the passive-aggressive guilt trips for a couple of months. What a mensch!

*Applause*

You, I like.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #131 on: 24 Dec 2009, 15:05 »

Oooh yeah! Because a real man holds grudges, right?

I understand how that is not a good behaviour at all but it doesn't stop to surprise me a little bit since even though it's not a good way to act, it's still a very normal way to act  :-)

Although smashing someone's guitar intentionally is just way too much hahaha :-D

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #132 on: 24 Dec 2009, 15:47 »

Gods, I hope not. Some of those people impale perfectly useful animals and servants on trees, y'know. I'm perfectly willing to bankrupt myself on viands and wines to demonstrate my status, but that sort of wastefulness is going too far.

Exactly, and most of them throw perfectly good battlefield plunder into ponds while offering prayers - good thing we don't do that here, who knows where that sort of behaviour could lead.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #133 on: 24 Dec 2009, 16:12 »

Faye is likable with her armor off.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #134 on: 24 Dec 2009, 16:32 »

Oooh yeah! Because a real man holds grudges, right?

No one's talking about Marten eating red steak barehanded, wrestling bears and alligators, or telling his bitch to get back in the kitchen and get him a cold beer.  We're talking about the fact that Faye talks as if Marten is the only thing between her and some abysmal psychological hell; and yet she still tends to treat him like crap.  The only reason he's even still there for her, is because he rolls over despite it.  So yeah, it's a cute moment when she realizes that something that she did hurt Marten, and they hug over it.  It's also pretty damn revealing when she starts crying when he actually tells her how he feels for once.  
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 17:19 by Tuitsuro »

Newbia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 24 Dec 2009, 16:46 »

Has Faye really treated Marten that badly? Yes, she blue-balled him pretty badly but that's not really her fault--she's emotionally fragile and has a reasonable justification for doing that. And I'm assuming he likes her snarkiness or else he'd never put up with her. What exactly should he not be forgiving her for?

On another note: Faye's not mad at Angus now, but I suspect that she WILL be mad at him when she finds out he's told Marigold. By tomorrow around fifty people will know that her dad killed himself (including a bunch of World-of-Warcraft Players).

westrim

« Reply #136 on: 24 Dec 2009, 21:14 »

Augh! My Eyes! MY EYYYYEEEESS  :-o

Also, Steve's metaphor is very disturbing.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 22:20 by westrim »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #137 on: 24 Dec 2009, 21:42 »

Has Faye really treated Marten that badly?
69. 108. 123. 378-379, provoked but still an overreaction.

Faye herself thinks she has treated Marten badly. Remember how she felt about meeting his mother. Also other occasions when she apologized for the way she treated them, but if I posted the comic numbers then people might realize that I'm a nerd. (It's a big secret, you see).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Shadic

• Shadic's Website
« Reply #138 on: 24 Dec 2009, 22:00 »

I think Jeph just wanted an excuse to draw Steve without a shirt again.

akronnick

« Reply #139 on: 24 Dec 2009, 23:29 »

Rawwwrrrr!!!!

and ROFLMAO!

Zingoleb

« Reply #140 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:01 »

Time to jump some skinny indie ass.

I'm so lonely.

akronnick

« Reply #141 on: 25 Dec 2009, 03:29 »

Are you sure you're not ronery?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #142 on: 25 Dec 2009, 05:38 »

Backtrack for a moment: Hey, look at that, it's a completely adorable Questionable Content comic, and Hannelore is nowhere to be found! Who would have thought? I approve heartily.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #143 on: 25 Dec 2009, 06:16 »

Good to see that despite all the protestations to the contrary, it's still all about me.

What are you looking forward to in the New Year?

Nothing - I don't see the new year being any better than the last  3 (9.7%)
The people of the world to suddenly realize that being asses to each other is just a bad idea.  8 (25.8%)
Screw that nice shit, where's my flying car?  11 (35.5%)
Pancakes  9 (29%)

Total Voters: 31

As everyone wants the special toy.

No poll for today - and Jeph, my wife says thanks for the cheesecake.  It goes well with the chocolate I got her.

Ayzmo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #144 on: 25 Dec 2009, 09:33 »

Am I the only one who wants Christmas cards with today's comic on them?
"We romanticize them because they're cute and they love us, but children are nasty, brutish, and short."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #145 on: 25 Dec 2009, 13:43 »

What has been seen . . . .

*Shudders*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #146 on: 25 Dec 2009, 14:38 »

A: This is really not that sexy, nor is the most realistic still photograph I can approximate to it mentally.
B: Anyone who's actually creeped out by this...honestly?  You've been on the Internet how long?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #147 on: 25 Dec 2009, 14:40 »

*Shudders*
Man, I have got to figure out a way to market my neural firewall without the neurosurgery scaring people off.
I know brain bleach is traditional, but imagine it; the ability to browse Pintsize's entire catalogue without as much as flinching once....
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #148 on: 25 Dec 2009, 14:58 »

*Shudders*
Man, I have got to figure out a way to market my neural firewall without the neurosurgery scaring people off.
I know brain bleach is traditional, but imagine it; the ability to browse Pintsize's entire catalogue without as much as flinching once....

I don't even think Pintsize can do that.
Just another Joe like 46

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #149 on: 25 Dec 2009, 21:31 »

Awesome!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up