THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What are you looking forward to in the New Year?

Nothing - I don't see the new year being any better than the last
- 6 (11.1%)
The people of the world to suddenly realize that being asses to each other is just a bad idea.
- 21 (38.9%)
Screw that nice shit, where's my flying car?
- 12 (22.2%)
Pancakes
- 15 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT 21 to 25 Dec 2009  (Read 59396 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCT 21 to 25 Dec 2009
« Reply #50 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:12 »

And as of 0809 the results of yesterday's poll were:

What other embarassing/unsavory trades did your ancestors follow?

Any thing connected to being a sewer worker in 19th Century England  6 (20.7%)
Assistant to Baldrick  11 (37.9%)
Indian Agent  4 (13.8%)
Professional apologist   8 (27.6%)

Total Voters: 29

So I guess that was your great , great, great, great, great uncle next to mine in the photo.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #51 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:20 »

Dora tells it like it is in the last panel.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:26 »

I disagree with the idea that big tits = great tits. Big tits can often be bad, sometimes they just look like jelly or they go floppy when the girl is really young (which is just sad). Faye's tits seem reasonable though, but I wonder if she lost the weight she wants to how small they might get. Perhaps she would lose her allure and the boys would stay away from her sass?!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #53 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:22 »

Dora's tits > Faye's tits

just sayin'
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #54 on: 22 Dec 2009, 07:51 »

And it's the tits Faye, and the backside, and the pleasing symetry of the face.  Initially.  After that its up to your personality....

...and hers is like a porcupine.  Which is why Sven got somewhere (he never got to know her first) and Angus hasn't (he keeps trying to get to know her!) 

I know, gross oversimplification, but it was fun. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #55 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:22 »

Which is what mine was as well
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

SleeperCylon

« Reply #56 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:25 »

If you can forgive your ancestors for killing native americans and owning slaves, you can forgive them for being loose.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #57 on: 22 Dec 2009, 08:47 »

Faye's tits seem reasonable though, but I wonder if she lost the weight she wants to how small they might get. Perhaps she would lose her allure and the boys would stay away from her sass?!
Mmmh? Did I miss something? As far as I know, Faye isn't trying to lose weight, she's aimed at being in better shape, and she isn't really overweight for a woman of her build, so...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 22 Dec 2009, 11:05 »

Faye has complained about her weight before but I can't remember anything from her Twitter feed about dieting as opposed to working out.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #59 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:13 »

Yes - if our ancestor's hadn't had sex we wouldn't be here of course.

A few years ago I went to a one-day conference run by the Sexual Freedom Coalition where a friend of mine, a forensic psychologist, gave a talk attacking puritanical attitudes in society

At one point he told the audience "Take a look at your family tree. Every time two lines cross, SOMEBODY FUCKED!"
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #60 on: 22 Dec 2009, 12:39 »

I thought fucking created branches on family trees.

*Hey, alteration!
**Better alteration!

I believe you mean "alliteration"
I think I do, too.

And, on behalf of merrymakers everywhere, confusion unto the benighted Puritans and their 'tudes. I would say "fucking 'tudes," but perhaps they weren't.

Also, whitaker seems, somehow, a much more amusing name for a prostitute than whore. Just think: cam-whitaker, attention-whitaker, man-whitaker…
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #61 on: 22 Dec 2009, 13:04 »

I disagree with the idea that big tits = great tits. Big tits can often be bad, sometimes they just look like jelly or they go floppy when the girl is really young (which is just sad). Faye's tits seem reasonable though, but I wonder if she lost the weight she wants to how small they might get. Perhaps she would lose her allure and the boys would stay away from her sass?!
Ah, yes, but Faye's tits are great...at least Dora seems to think so.

And, trust me, some guys (and probably some girls) think that big tits automatically = great tits. I've known guys who dated rather homely looking women (with personalities to match) simply on account of their having very large breasts.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #62 on: 22 Dec 2009, 14:58 »

A scientist explains:

"So, Billy, this is your family tree. And wherever two lines meet, SOMEBODY FUCKED!"

"Gee..."

"Why don't you run along now, Billy, and next week we'll discuss ten things you can do with a carrot."

"OK, Mr. Olson. Bye."
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #63 on: 22 Dec 2009, 15:18 »

A scientist explains:

But that's just a personal tree.  I'm used to the kind that also branches out as it goes down, including siblings, then joining wth their partner's trees, and includng all the neices, nephews and multi-cousins-a-few-times-removed.  They look more like an unearthed tree, branches above and roots below, with you in the middle somewhere...

And everytime two lines meet, someone fucked.  Maybe even more often than that, if they weren't Catholic...   :wink:

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #64 on: 22 Dec 2009, 15:38 »

just as long as all the spaces in the ancestors part of the tree are filled with distinct names, it's cool.

It's when the same names pop upi over and over again is when things get wierd.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #65 on: 22 Dec 2009, 15:46 »

Confederate titties are the best titties.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #66 on: 22 Dec 2009, 15:49 »

If you can forgive your ancestors for killing native americans and owning slaves, you can forgive them for being loose.
Mine weren't around for either. Someone else had already done the first by time mine were in the States, and pretty much all of my family lived in the North.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #67 on: 22 Dec 2009, 17:40 »

Based on the laws of the land, the last slaves ancestors of mine would have owned would have looked remarkably similar to themselves.  That being pre-feudal England and Scotland, or at least the areas of land that now have those names.  Near as I can tell we were too poor to have slaves after leaving England, Scotland or Ireland and as for killing First Nations - well they had it coming.  I mean look, they didn't have a piece of paper saying that they owned the land, and they weren't farming it the way Europeans did, so it really was there for the taking wasn't it?  It was all self defence. :roll:

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #68 on: 22 Dec 2009, 20:02 »

If I were the kind of saddo who faps over cartoon characters, I'd be going nuts over Faye in those last two panels....
What the hell are YOU staring at?

westrim

« Reply #69 on: 22 Dec 2009, 20:42 »

Mine weren't around for either. Someone else had already done the first by time mine were in the States, and pretty much all of my family lived in the North.

I could get all obstinate and start ranting about how all you illegals should go back to Europe when you came from, but I'm only 3/1024s Cherokee, so it would feel kinda weird. But that little bit is enough for the Feds, so I get all kinds of goodies theoretically, and some in actuality, like my free dental work done this summer. Probably some other stuff if I check into it, but that would make me feel downright guilty. Getting that dental work done was costly enough to the taxpayers.

Based on the laws of the land, the last slaves ancestors of mine would have owned would have looked remarkably similar to themselves.  That being pre-feudal England and Scotland, or at least the areas of land that now have those names.  Near as I can tell we were too poor to have slaves after leaving England, Scotland or Ireland and as for killing First Nations - well they had it coming.  I mean look, they didn't have a piece of paper saying that they owned the land, and they weren't farming it the way Europeans did, so it really was there for the taking wasn't it?  It was all self defence. :roll:

I will now completely ignore your point to **shi i am an ignorant fucktard, please ban me** at your spelling of defense.  :evil:

**EDIT: Aw man. If there was someplace I didn't think would have idiotic robo censoring , it would be here. I wrote S N ! GG 3R, you idiot program.  See that "S" in front? That makes it completely different word! Jeez, and I thought that FPS that censored sNIPer was bad.

If I were the kind of saddo who faps over cartoon characters, I'd be going nuts over Faye in those last two panels....

I'm more worried about who might ask them about the free children.

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 20:47 by westrim »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #70 on: 22 Dec 2009, 22:00 »

Certainly puts a new spin on good 'ol Southern Mountains  :evil:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #71 on: 22 Dec 2009, 23:14 »

Too bad that Faye's no longer hungry after just having that foot-long sandwich.
Just another Joe like 46

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 22 Dec 2009, 23:20 »

While I can see why Martin would be annoyed (maybe hurt?) that Faye opened up so fast to Angus, she is definatly not the same person she was 1100+ strips ago.  I'd say more, but we'll see how this storyline evolves.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #73 on: 22 Dec 2009, 23:23 »

Now THAT'S an awkward moment. In some ways, worse than the one with Angus.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #74 on: 22 Dec 2009, 23:27 »

just as long as all the spaces in the ancestors part of the tree are filled with distinct names, it's cool.

Are you talking about pedigree collapse, or simply either unimaginative, weary, or pretentious  (or all  of the above) parents giving their children their exact names, yea, even unto the fourth generation? And yes, Binary, I'm used to looking at (and, occasionally, dreaming up) trees that explain how individuals are related to families, not the other way around. Although I hear that's in vogue these days. Truly a celebration of the self-obsessed. (All that sweaty exercise, just to create me!)

On today's strip, I'm hoping Marten appreciates progress rather than feeling slighted. On the other hand, the road to recovery is often cluttered by chickens returning from afar and rather insistently seeking perches.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 23:29 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

westrim

« Reply #75 on: 22 Dec 2009, 23:55 »

Are you talking about pedigree collapse, or simply either unimaginative, weary, or pretentious  (or all  of the above) parents giving their children their exact names, yea, even unto the fourth generation? And yes, Binary, I'm used to looking at (and, occasionally, dreaming up) trees that explain how individuals are related to families, not the other way around. Although I hear that's in vogue these days. Truly a celebration of the self-obsessed. (All that sweaty exercise, just to create me!)

On today's strip, I'm hoping Marten appreciates progress rather than feeling slighted. On the other hand, the road to recovery is often cluttered by chickens returning from afar and rather insistently seeking perches.

I hope he didn't mean when the same person is present on multiple levels. And man, my mom spent months putting together the family info to get us (that is, me, my cousins, and her siblings) our indian cards.

And that is an awesome metaphor that you either just created or I've never heard before. Good for situations where you are deep in a relationship and then your ex from high school walks up to you at dinner and says hi, or for that new Meryl Streep movie.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #76 on: 22 Dec 2009, 23:56 »

Faye put Marten through a serious, probably months-long emotional ringer before finally having "The Talk" with him. Can you really blame him for feeling at least a little slighted that she'd tell all to Angus after only knowing him for what, a few weeks at most?
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #77 on: 23 Dec 2009, 00:01 »

Faye can't wear that jacket without making me think of Doonesbury's Honey - a very odd juxtaposition.

jordinyc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #78 on: 23 Dec 2009, 00:04 »

ok, look

1 - Faye's great6 grandmama was not a whore, she was a sperm bank manager, and yes they had those back then, it's an established fact.

2 - Is it me or is Dora's face suffering from the first stages of Space Thunder Kids Disease?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIR_S1Zrcc#t=1m53s

3 - Faye's tits ROCK! PERIOD!

4 - Marten, chill! She hadn't come to terms with it really till she opened up to you! Heaven forbid she evolve emotionally.

9000 - This thread is now about pancakes

Merry Ecksmiss everybody!

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #79 on: 23 Dec 2009, 00:13 »

ok, look

1 - Faye's great6 grandmama was not a whore, she was a sperm bank manager, and yes they had those back then, it's an established fact.

2 - Is it me or is Dora's face suffering from the first stages of Space Thunder Kids Disease?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPIR_S1Zrcc#t=1m53s

3 - Faye's tits ROCK! PERIOD!

4 - Marten, chill! She hadn't come to terms with it really till she opened up to you! Heaven forbid she evolve emotionally.

9000 - This thread is now about pancakes

Merry Ecksmiss everybody!

Agreed.  Agreed.  Agreed.  Agreed.

Seriously, what's with all the Faye bashing lately?  She's arguably one of the most complex characters in the strip, and she's finally coming to terms with her father's death.  WE SHOULD ALL BE PROUD.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #80 on: 23 Dec 2009, 00:31 »

LotR does it, so it can't be so bad, right?
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Exar_Kun

• Me Hawngry!
« Reply #81 on: 23 Dec 2009, 00:33 »

Its just all the typical people who take works of fiction seriously.
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #82 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:03 »

Looks like Faye won't be getting that deposit back, eh?

Not like it matters. Martin will forgive her by the end of the arc. He isn't the type to hold a grudge for more than a few strips.

EDIT: Also like to point out that I agree with people around here who are praisin Faye. The fact that she can casually comment on the whole suicide thing without having an episode shows massive psychological and emotional growth from the beginnings of the comic. While it was kinda tactless to mention it like that to Martin, I don't think she deserves a bashing.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 01:06 by Kazukagii »
I had something witty to put down here but.....

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #83 on: 23 Dec 2009, 01:23 »

Regardless of how good it is that Faye can deal with it, it's comedy gold that she said it in front of Marten. It's like a Brick joke that took a little less than a 1,000 strips to finally come 'round!
Just another Joe like 46

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #84 on: 23 Dec 2009, 02:46 »

Also, I don't know why Marten's so freaked; he got Dora out of this whole deal and, paranoiac or not, she is still just as worthwhile a person as Faye. Wishing for what could have been will only end up souring both friendships and possibly destroying any chance of future (or continued) romance with either.
Still secretly rooting for the Faans! solution though, despite Faye not being nearly enough of a martial artist....
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #85 on: 23 Dec 2009, 03:44 »

While I can see why Martin would be annoyed (maybe hurt?) that Faye opened up so fast to Angus, she is definatly not the same person she was 1100+ strips ago.  I'd say more, but we'll see how this storyline evolves.

Exactly.   Making close friendships, learning to talk about her problems with her friends instead of just drinking herself into oblivion, getting into therapy, getting laid.  *ahem*  I mean, "getting into a somewhat dysfunctional relationship" .  All of these things have brought her to where she can talk about this without it being such a big deal.  

If she met Marten fro the first time *now* she'd be able to date him.  Ah well.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 05:54 by BryanP »

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #86 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:07 »

As a side note I am loving the facial expressions in these last few comics, Fayes was rather nice at the end.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #87 on: 23 Dec 2009, 05:13 »

Having been through a particularly traumatic experience myself, I can attest that there comes a point where sharing it becomes considerably easier.  I used to not be able to talk about it at all without reliving it, but after years therapy, healing, and friends I could confide in it became much easier. And now I can talk about it fairly openly which allows me to help pther people who hae gone through the same thing.

Faye is growing and healing, the fact that she could share so easily with Angus speak volumes.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #88 on: 23 Dec 2009, 05:23 »

The thing is that Marten is worried that it speaks volumes about him (especially compared to Angus) and not her...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #89 on: 23 Dec 2009, 06:33 »

And the results of yesterday's poll are now in -

What should we get Jeph for Christmas?

A previously unknown but bitchin' band  6 (13%)
A good single malt   14 (30.4%)
An end to shipping   13 (28.3%)
A week long cushion of comics  13 (28.3%)

Total Voters: 46

It's close, but we now need to get him a good single malt.  I recommend Highland Park, Glen Breton (its not scotch, but it is similar, and it is a single malt), or a Glenmorangie (the port barrel is nice).  Anyone in Jeph's area able to swing by the local liquor store, pick one up and drop it off on our behalf?  We'll do a whip round for you...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #90 on: 23 Dec 2009, 06:37 »

Well, of course - Faye was attracted to Marten, even living with him at the time. 

She had to be coerced to even be friendly to Angus. 

Apparently, there's some sort of inverse relationship between how much you like/care about someone and how hard it is to tell them something important! 

You can call that Carl-E's Law. 

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #91 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:02 »

If there weren't such a relationship, professional psychiatry would be impossible.

Not calling it Car-E's law though, since it probably already has a much more obscure Latinate name and I generally prefer those.

dingosatemybaby

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.dingosatemybaby.com
« Reply #92 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:35 »

Anyone else just adore Dora's expression in panel 4 yesterday?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #93 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:53 »

Seems to be Faye's week for Foot In Mouth moments this week.

Still, nice to see some character growth in her.  Hers and Marten's faces in the last panel are priceless.
James The Kugai 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:57 »

If there weren't such a relationship, professional psychiatry would be impossible.

Not calling it Car-E's law though, since it probably already has a much more obscure Latinate name and I generally prefer those.
Would the Carolinius Epsilonion Relationship Dynamic be better? (Why, yes, my grasp of Latin truly doth suck.)

Eagles are coming up, I suppose.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #95 on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:29 »

Faye has finally come to the realization that she may, indeed, be a bitch.

In other news, the Earth shifted on it's axis this morning, causing the planet to fly into the sun.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 10:32 by Tuitsuro »

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #96 on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:33 »

Faye has finally come to the realization that she may, indeed, be a bitch.

In other news, the Earth shifted on it's axis this morning, causing the planet to fly into the sun.

I thought that that would be Hell freezing over
James The Kugai 

Shteevie

• Plantmonster
« Reply #97 on: 23 Dec 2009, 11:00 »

If anyone's actually doing the 'get Jeph a single-malt for the holidays', I'm in for $5. Lemme know who to paypal.

What I came in to say was that I'm glad for
a) A strip with a dry punchline
b) interaction between the strip's founding characters [which has been lacking for a while]
c) Some emotional development [openness/acceptance on Faye's part, misuse/chagrin on Marten's]
d) Faye's tits. Though that's not a new appreciation, but rather on cultivated for years now.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #98 on: 23 Dec 2009, 11:10 »

10 Generate super-awkward moment
20 Things go badly
30 Meet another friend
40 GOTO 10

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #99 on: 23 Dec 2009, 15:35 »

Faye put Marten through a serious, probably months-long emotional ringer before finally having "The Talk" with him. Can you really blame him for feeling at least a little slighted that she'd tell all to Angus after only knowing him for what, a few weeks at most?

It's had to have been longer than that. Angus was frequenting Coffee of Doom long before the time jump. Maybe Faye's been something other than cruel to him for just a few weeks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up