THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 300667 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Fallout: New Vegas
« on: 04 Jan 2010, 11:13 »

Probably got your hopes up when you saw the thread title, didn't you? Nothing concrete as of yet. There are some "details" about New Vegas that have "leaked" today.

First details of "Fallout: New Vegas" or an exciting hoax?

This may very well be a hoax, but it's pretty well written and convincing. From the Halife2.net Forums:

Fallout New Vegas information is coming "very soon." It's going to be Gameinformer's next cover. This is the information in the magazine:

Already it sounds pretty legit. GI's next cover is yet to be shown, I know for a fact that NV is being shown for the first time very soon and GI looooooooooves a big reveal.

- Similar to Dragon Age: Origins, at character creation the player can select from different background stories. The first few hours of the game are different depending on which background you choose, and you get some unique perks based on your background when the main game begins.

- One background story is shown, Chinese Agent. The background story takes place before the bombs fell. The player is part of a team of Crimson Dragoons infilitrating Hoover Dam. You manage to sneak through the Americans' defenses, set explosives, and head to an extraction point, but your escape is cut off by American soldiers in Power Armor. The player and other survivors of the Crimson Dragoons take refuge in a cave in the canyons, where they commit hari kari with cyanide capsules. The player about to do the same when the bombs fall. The background story ends an indeterminate time later, when the player exits the cave, removes his helmet, and sees his ghoulish reflection in the waters of the Colorado River.

- By default, the Chinese Agent has the skills Sneak, Small Arms, and Explosives tagged and SPECIAL stats set, although the player can modify their tagged skills and stats if they don't like the template.
If this is a hoax, it's from someone who really likes Van Buren because this is almost straight out of Van Buren (when entering the lower levels of the Hoover Dam, you run into Chinese Spy ghouls).

One thing, though - if Obsidz is going to include backgrounds they're doing it much more extensively than DA did. I'm assuming it'll be more like Arcanum or Vampire: Bloodlines, where your background is a significant part of how people can react to you. At least, they'd make things different for ghouls or slavers. That's their style.

- One character background option is Lone Wanderer. This selection has no background story or template and is a complete blank slate for players.
Sounds about right.

- The SPECIAL system used will be similar to Fallout 3, but skills will be harder to cap and one character will not be able to become a master of all skills. The article is not very specific because apparently it's something the developers are still tweaking.
At this point that's probably a given. Josh Sawyer (the lead on the project) is a massive systems nerd. What I know is only that the guns / armor system is being overhauled to DT (Damage Threshold) over DR (Damage Resistance) much like how the original Fallouts worked, but hopefully better (that system wasn't too balanced). I know he doesn't like a lot of things about the innards of F3, chief among them being the very Bethsoft-ish tendency to be great at everything from the start of the game, and the first aid systems.

- Gambling will return, but not as a skill. Your Luck stat will effect gambling results. You can attempt to cheat at cards using your Sneak skill or hack slot machines using your Science skill.
Natch.

Here's where I get skeptical:
- There will be vehicles. The desert of New Vegas dwarfs the Capital Wasteland and you will need transportation to get around and explore it. You will acquire a vehicle several hours into the main quest. You can customize your vehicle with parts bought at shops or won through racing circuits and quests. Vehicles will not be common, but you will encounter road gangs, merchant caravans, and other vehicles in the wastes. The open desert is home to some very large mutant creatures, like giant radscorpions and sandworms, that will attack your vehicle.
There are a number of issues. One, as Borderlands and many other games have shown (ahem Mass Effect), vehicular portions of a game are more or less their own game and they need lots of attention. The sheer number of bugs that would need to be weeded out with physics and the like would be staggering. Also you'd need an exceptionally flat wasteland.

The other thing is that when I was talking to Josh some years ago about his ideas and involvement in Van Buren he had this to say about the Fallout setting:
I think the Fallout feel comes from the physical setting (I keep things in the American southwest), the continual presence of Fallout organizations and new organizations that blend into previous Fallout styles, and by keeping super mutants, ghouls, centaurs, and other really freakish critters at the fringes of areas.

I also try to downplay obsession with fuel and vehicles, as most people have simply adapted to traveling by foot and brahmin -- or through the generation of alternate fuel like ethanol. SECs and MFCs are usually used for weapons, not transportation. Rare vehicles are usually motorcycles, but there are no gangs of roving vehicle guys. There just aren't enough intact vehicles and fuel sources going around for that. Long distance travel is often done by rail, sometimes with the aid of the Iron Lines tribe.
But he could have changed his mind, or vehicles could've been an integral part of the pitch to Bethsoft, who knows. I'll believe it when I read it.

- New Vegas has a coliseum run by a slaver gang called the Caesar's Legion. You can gamble on and participate in arena fights.
Prepare your bodies for the thunderdome. It is the new law. Caesar's Legion is also from Van Buren - they were supposed to be a massive organization and the main focus of the sequel to Van Buren. Maybe Obsidz decided to make Black Isle's Fallout 4?

We'll see how much of this turns out to be true! Maybe all of it!
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 11:24 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jan 2010, 11:34 »

To be fair, it makes sense for a desert environment to be flat. But that just means that they're going to need to populate it with that many more man-made objects if the geographical features can't capture player attention on their own. The origin stories thing seems logical, but if Obsidian can push it further than Dragon Age did then that would be cool. I especially like the Chinese Agent backstory and how you actually start before the apocalypse but because you're ghoul-ified, you can still live until the events of the game start. One point I found interesting is that they want to make SPECIAL and skills harder to max out. Even in the first two Fallout games, obsessive players would have meticulous knowledge of where to get all the permanent stat boosts. Fallout 3 was easier on that front, but if Obsidian sticks to their guns in that regard then I imagine it'll drive a lot of those guys a little crazy.

I've read some of Sawyer's thoughts in various places on the Internet (interviews, of course, plus he posts in a pretty limited capacity on Something Awful) and he seems like a smart guy. I'm definitely interested to see what Obsidian does with the Bethesda tech and so forth. Hopefully we'll get more substantial details soon.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2010, 13:02 »

Apparently Pete Hines (that's the Bethsoft honcho, in case you didn't know) said in response to the rumors "like usual, people made a surprising good job of amplifying everything". I'm going to go ahead and discount vehicular combat, as that's kind of ridiculous. I'd figure train travel would be in, if VB is canon.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 13:05 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2010, 13:23 »

Haha, the odds are tipping against all of this. Some of the Obsidz guys I occasionally hear from are pretty incredulous.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2010, 13:41 »

Yeah, I was always under the impression that most vehicles worth mentioning would be inoperable and/or horded by guys like the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave or a few units of the NCR. The way I figure it, a couple of guys in power armor and an old humvee might as well be a main battle tank as far as your average settlement is concerned; you're not going to be taking them out very easy with your li'l molotovs and half dozen guys with shotguns. Most tribals would just be completely boned. If such things were likely, they'd have been a much bigger part of the setting by now.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 13:47 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jan 2010, 13:51 »

What I know is only that the guns / armor system is being overhauled to DT (Damage Threshold) over DR (Damage Resistance)

What's the difference between the two?
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jan 2010, 14:07 »

Fallouts 1 and 2 used a system with armor having both resistance and threshold, with many different kinds of damage (normal, fire, plasma, explosive etc.) so that armors had certain strengths and weaknesses (for example, metal armor protected well against laser weapons, but not against fire). Fallout 3 scrapped different sorts of damage and the threshold system in favor of a flat resistance system, which made armor explicitly linear in progression (there was no advantage to wearing leather armor when you had a metal suit, aside from weight concerns)

In the original games, damage threshold is a certain amount of damage that is soaked up outright by armor, and it tends to be a low number, generally in the 1-3 range, depending. Damage resistance then deflected a percentage of remaining damage. Basically it works in sequence. Say you hit somebody with a spear and it does 10 HP of raw damage. Their armor has a DR/DT of 25/2. Damage Threshold protects against 2 hit points, so damage is reduced to 8. Then Damage Resistance removes 25% of that 8 points, so instead of taking 10 damage you take 6. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, anyway. I've thrown the question to Josh, he might elaborate. He loves talking about this stuff.

The problem with this was that the variable benefits of different armors was largely imperceptible to the player, up until the point where you got Power Armor, which had such high DR/DT it effectively broke the system. Combat in the later parts of the original Fallouts was almost completely made up of "who can get a massive critical first".
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 14:11 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jan 2010, 14:20 »

Yeah, damage threshold also had the unfortunate side effect of making AP ammo rather useless, which was both hilarious and stupidly unintuitive. Armor Penetrating ammo generally had a lower damage multiplier than other types of ammo you could acquire, but it would ignore a chunk of your target's damage resistance. Unfortunately, AP ammo had no effect on Damage Threshold, so it was a classic catch-22. If they had enough armor to make their Damage Resistance worth worrying about, they also likely had enough Damage Threshold that the AP ammo would just get your attack absorbed almost entirely. So, like KVP said, you were often just better off using normal ammo and hoping you get a crit.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 14:30 by Alex C »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jan 2010, 14:41 »

Ah, I see. Thanks. It'd be rather nice to see different armours having weaknesses to particular weapons so long as it was balanced, by the end of Fallout 3 my tactics were basically the same for everything I encountered and that would force a bit more variety. What do you guys reckon the chances of that returning are?
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jan 2010, 14:56 »

Not much, really. I have yet to see an RPG in which your late-game character is not overpowered to the point where it interferes with the spirit of the game. Fallout has that problem, D&D has that problem. I doubt even someone like Josh, whose job it is to think about functional systems design, could do much against it. Especially in something like Fallout, where Power Armor is so iconic. The best loot in the game is right there on the cover.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2010, 15:05 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jan 2010, 19:50 »

Huh, you're right now I think about it, even given my very limited RPG experience that's what's always happened. Although in the case of Morrowind it got to that point when there was still a long way to go in the game, and I gave up because trudging around hacking up creatures that had no hope of denting my stupid amount of HP got very dull. At least with Mass Effect it wasn't until the return to the citadel I noticed I wasn't even thinking any more because anything that appeared got dropped so fast I didn't even need to take cover.

Why is that though? I mean, I realise for Fallout games power armour is going to be there and it has to be great armour, but it's also not like you're the only person wearing it.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jan 2010, 20:04 »

Ragnarok online had a very similar system to what you described as the DR/DT. They have Defense and Vitality.

Defense was a stat gained by armor and other equipment and removed X% of the damager, 10 Defense was 10% of the damage, 50 defense was 50% of the damage. Vitality was a stat given by items and supplemented by items, it gave HP, HP Regen and a flat number of damage reduction. It was written Def + Vit. So 10+50 was 10 defense and 50 vit, a hit of 100 would be reduced to 90 by defense and to 40 by the Vit.

Crits were handled different as well. Hits were undodgeable by normal means and ignored the defense but not the vit. But featured no standard damage boost.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jan 2010, 20:07 »

On vehicles, it makes sense that Obsidian would be able to do something because the game is running off roughly the same tech as Oblivion, which had horses. I guess (completely unqualified, I have no experience with programming or anything) a motorbike could be made on the same platform kinda. Only issue is that if you go too fast you might beat the streaming world.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jan 2010, 20:14 »

Those horses were terrible though. They looked awful, were annoying to control and really frustrating if you got in a fight because for some daft reason you couldn't attack when riding. The advantage with Oblivion is that you could just ignore the stupid thing, a comparable vehicle that you actually had to use would be incredibly annoying.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan 2010, 21:44 »

You guys never played Two Worlds or you'd know how bad riding horses in video games can be.

There is non-Euclidean geometry involved.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jan 2010, 15:05 »

that would actually be really cool
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jan 2010, 15:39 »

It wasn't.  To go up a hill you had to direct the horse 150 degrees or so from where you wanted it to, have it run around in a circle a couple times, click your heels and hope that when you stopped spinning you were pointed in the right direction.  If you were trying to attack something whilst gallivanting about on your dizzy mount, 99 times out of 100 you would end up carving a 'I <3 the Taint' sign on a nearby tree, small shrub or rock.  Or possibly the horse itself.  The game didn't actually have a whole lot in the way of decals, so we'll never know.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jan 2010, 18:17 »

I think extreme Brahmin jousting would make my day. Or any sort of violent sport involving Brahmin.

And more giant robots spouting cheesy anti-Communist propaganda like a motherfucker please

As a side-note, Power Armor was great to a point. The effectiveness of it was limited to the sort of character you were playing. That said, the only real challenge you had in something like Tesla Armor in Fallout 3 was if you got caught in a Mini-nuke or multiple missiles, which in itself was pretty staggering. Keeping in mind that by the time you got Tesla Armor, people in Power Armor was a pretty common occurrence.

As another side-note I was always intrigued as to why they made the old Power Armor look so menacing when generally it was a protagonist on the cover.   :laugh:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jan 2010, 18:36 »

Because it's Fallout. Sometimes the "Protagonist" puts his points into skills that let him plant explosives on tiny children.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #19 on: 05 Jan 2010, 23:15 »

The effectiveness of it was limited to the sort of character you were playing.
Sure, if you didn't take the perk that lets you wear power armor.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jan 2010, 12:45 »

In the "total bullshit" department, Gamestop is listing NV as coming out in June.

this, however, is legit. We've got another month or so, probably, before real deets leak.

Nice job with the photoshop, OXM.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2010, 13:14 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jan 2010, 19:38 »

Kind of weird how they call it Bethesda's latest game rather than Obsidian's. I mean, Bethesda is publishing it, and they've probably got more name recognition among mainstream Xbox gamers, but it seems slightly deceptive.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jan 2010, 21:02 »

What, you expect the gaming press to get details correct?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jan 2010, 00:51 »

You guys never played Two Worlds or you'd know how bad riding horses in video games can be.

And if you've tried Mount and Blade, you know horses can work pretty greatly. Mounted and saddle-fastened lances against peasants works just as it should.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jan 2010, 07:18 »

Okay, a little new info on people working on the game, from a blogger guy I know who doesn't make shit up - One, Mark Morgan is being commissioned to compose music for the game. Morgan wrote all the music for the original 2 games, and it's an awesome ambient soundtrack. He's also a vocal detractor of the bombastic Fallout 3 soundtrack. Two, Plast Wax Animation is on board for cinematics. They made cinematics for Bioshock and Borderlands, among other games. It remains to be seen whether they'll just be making trailers or in-game cinematics as well.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jan 2010, 17:43 »

Wouldn't it make more sense to just hire Aphex Twin?
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2010, 17:59 »

Don't think I haven't suggested it.

He also scored Planescape: Torment, which was fairly world music-y. He's got a pretty good gig for a guy who used to be in Jefferson Starship.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #27 on: 22 Jan 2010, 18:14 »

I didn't know he did PS:T - I really liked that soundtrack. It's a pity it was so sparsely used.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jan 2010, 14:15 »

He's got a pretty good gig for a guy who used to be in Jefferson Starship.

ahahahahahaha
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #29 on: 23 Jan 2010, 18:11 »

False alarm! Improbably, the project that Morgan is working on for Obsidz is not New Vegas.

It would've been weird to have an Alexander Brandon soundtrack for a Fallout game, but sadly he's no longer with the company.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jan 2010, 10:58 »

http://twitter.com/OXMUK/status/8193775867
"We're interviewing Bethesda's Pete Hines about Fallout New Vegas for our upcoming podcast. Tweet us any questions."

http://twitter.com/loonyboi/status/8200348668
"Today is milestone day! Was just going through and came across something super awesome. Head explode. http://is.gd/70WXq "
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jan 2010, 11:01 »

Another random news snippet - The modder who made Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, aka the mod that made Oblivion playable, joined Obsidian around the end of last year. So they have at least one guy who knows the engine very very well.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jan 2010, 18:32 »

That's just excellent. Completely great.

(which reminds me, must get around to using FCOM now that I've got a machine that can run it)
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #34 on: 03 Feb 2010, 15:24 »

Via the Bethblog, the first official info on F:NV arrives tomorrow.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #35 on: 04 Feb 2010, 07:17 »

Here she is.

Experience all the sights and sounds of fabulous New Vegas, brought to you by Vault-Tec, America's First Choice in Post Nuclear Simulation. Explore the treacherous wastes of the Great Southwest from the safety and comfort of your very own vault: Meet new people, confront terrifying creatures, and arm yourself with the latest high-tech weaponry as you make a name for yourself on a thrilling new journey across the Mojave wasteland. A word of warning, however - while Vault-Tec engineers have prepared for every contingency,* in Vegas, fortunes can change in an instant. Enjoy your stay.

* Should not be construed as a legally-binding claim.

Fallout: New Vegas is scheduled for a Fall 2010 release on the Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3, and Games for Windows in North America and Europe.

Who is developing the game?
In conjunction with Bethesda Softworks, Fallout: New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the creator of award winning RPGs such as Neverwinter Nights 2. Obsidian is also led by the founders of Black Isle Studios - the developers of the original Fallout and Fallout 2.

Where does Fallout: New Vegas take place?
In and around New Vegas in Nevada.

What is Fallout New Vegas’ rating?
Currently the rating is pending, but is planned as a Mature-rated title.

What are the PC system requirements?
Closer to the release of Fallout: New Vegas, we’ll share the minimum and recommended system requirements.

Is Fallout New Vegas a Games for Windows title? Will it require Windows?
Fallout: New Vegas is a Games for Windows title. As such, you’ll be able to use an Xbox 360 controller if you choose. New Vegas will run with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

Will Fallout New Vegas include multiplayer?
No, Fallout: New Vegas is a single-player game only.

I have lots of ideas and questions, where do I send them?
We encourage you to register on our official forums and post your ideas and questions in the Fallout: New Vegas section, where our fans and developers share and discuss ideas and answer questions.

Where can I get more information on the game?
Check out our official site, fallout.bethsoft.com, where we continually update our sections for art, reviews, previews, interviews, and more. You can also visit Bethesda Blog, our Fallout Facebook page, and our company Twitter page.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2010, 07:39 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #36 on: 04 Feb 2010, 07:53 »

So maybe the number 7 will be relevant. Maybe it's just a random detail. Also NCR looks like maybe they're the bad guys, which would jibe with up-to-now unofficial lore regarding NCR post-Fallout 2. I assume he's carrying the flag, which means NCR is going to try and claim Vegas.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2010, 08:13 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #37 on: 04 Feb 2010, 10:13 »

you know what would rule is if we saw what the game fuckin looked like at all
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #38 on: 04 Feb 2010, 10:42 »

Yeah uh Fall 2010 is a pretty big claim for a game with no actual screenshots yet.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #39 on: 04 Feb 2010, 10:50 »

you know what would rule is if we saw what the game fuckin looked like at all
That comes next week.

And it's gonna look like Fallout 3 in Las Vegas.

The game's been in development for almost a year now, so given a November release or thereabouts it's got almost as much production time as Fallout 3 had, believe it or not. Principal development of the game (beyond engine work and the like) started after Oblivion was completed in April of 2007. Release was October of 2008. Obsidz probably has a smaller team to some degree but also the benefit of a more stable and established toolset.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2010, 10:57 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #40 on: 04 Feb 2010, 11:55 »

Kotaku is claiming that the trailer is "live" and they have a bunch of screenshots but I don't see a trailer anywhere.

is it a secret trailer?
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 04 Feb 2010, 12:00 »

Uhhhh, no?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #42 on: 04 Feb 2010, 12:56 »

Quote from: Chris Avellone
Yep, I did area design and encounter design for F2 (worked on Vault City's third and final iteration, companions: Cassidy and Myron, special encounters, New Reno, Raider Camp, and the EPA, which got canned - and good thing, too, we already had too many locations) and some perk designs. Brian Menze, Feargus, Chris Jones, Scotty Everts, and Dan Spitzley are all here, all worked on Fallout 2, not all of them are on New Vegas, though.

The trailer is the only thing I can point to to answer your question, can't say much more than that. Josh and John Gonzalez (our creative lead and master of all things plot-related) put together a great story with some fun new mechanics, and they know their Fallout. I think we're using all the stuff we've been kicking around for the past ten+ years with RPGs and seeing how they can be applied to New Vegas on both the plot and system side.

Also, Blabby Bethsoft developer go!

Hey Obsidian devs!

- Love your old games!
- Love love your current game! I especially dig the new, more "Western" art direction.
- I'm sorry I didn't comment my code more, but I spent entirely too much time on the forums during Fallout 3. ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/stare.gif) )

:Programmer VANISH!:
So we know the art direction is more "Western".
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2010, 13:12 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 04 Feb 2010, 21:16 »

Okay, that trailer was pretty cool.

Also, seeing an actual living city in the Fallout universe is gonna be weird.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #44 on: 04 Feb 2010, 21:30 »

Also it's worth pointing out that the figure in the Teaser is about as close as you get to the text description of Cassidy in Fallout 2, so it's almost definitely an NCR Ranger. The Rangers supposedly originated from Vegas according to Cassidy, but that was in all likelihood just a Wasteland reference. Wasteland took place in a post-apocalyptic Vegas ruled by a mobster named Fat Freddy.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #45 on: 05 Feb 2010, 02:18 »

That teaser was horrible to me.  I am looking so forward to this game and I want to see what the gameplay and everything else looks like.  Considering the hours and hours I've wasted in Fallout 3 I really want to see how amazing this new one is going to be. 

Spluff

• it is time to party
« Reply #46 on: 05 Feb 2010, 05:19 »

Also it's worth pointing out that the figure in the Teaser is about as close as you get to the text description of Cassidy in Fallout 2, so it's almost definitely an NCR Ranger. The Rangers supposedly originated from Vegas according to Cassidy, but that was in all likelihood just a Wasteland reference. Wasteland took place in a post-apocalyptic Vegas ruled by a mobster named Fat Freddy.

It's probably the player character - he's wearing a pip boy.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #47 on: 05 Feb 2010, 10:38 »

Perhaps. I think NCR manufactured pipboys at some point, at least there were several characters with them in Van Buren so who knows. Nobody's really clear on what parts if any of VB are canon at this point. I guess we'll find out next week.

It just seemed a bit ominous. Plus, the red glow. Red glows don't usually indicate good dudes.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #48 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:11 »

Isn't there supposed to be several possible starting stories? As in one where you start as ghoul, and many others? I think I heard something like that, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

But if that's the case, then that could be one start - NCR Ranger trying to conquer Vegas. Or kill some doods.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #49 on: 05 Feb 2010, 14:12 »

ooh that could be really cool.

experience Fallout's particular brand of dystopia from the widley varying persepctives it has to offer. I could dig it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up