THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 300791 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #300 on: 20 Jul 2010, 16:23 »

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #301 on: 03 Aug 2010, 14:06 »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #302 on: 03 Aug 2010, 14:21 »

That doesn't make any sense without context.

Here's the context: Bethsoft released this ad in Japan to drum up potential sales there. The signs are mocking things generally associated with JRPGs. "I want to play games not watch cutscenes", etc.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #303 on: 05 Aug 2010, 11:37 »

New Vegas pre-orders are far more numerous than Fallout 3's were. I expected it... If F3 were right on the heels of a Fallout game as popular as it was it probably would have done better with that metric as well.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #304 on: 05 Aug 2010, 11:46 »

That doesn't make any sense without context.

Here's the context: Bethsoft released this ad in Japan to drum up potential sales there. The signs are mocking things generally associated with JRPGs. "I want to play games not watch cutscenes", etc.

I'm not really sure this is the right tact to be taking in a country that spawned the "It is illegal to release a Dragon Quest game on a weekday," urban legend. DQ3 pushed like a hojillion units.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #305 on: 05 Aug 2010, 11:53 »

Plus, you know, we kinda nuked 'em that one time. Passive aggressive advertising for a post-nuclear holocaust game that pokes fun at what is practically the national gaming genre. Just feels like a (hilarious) miscalculation to me.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #306 on: 05 Aug 2010, 21:26 »

Plus, you know, we kinda nuked 'em that one time.

twice
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #307 on: 05 Aug 2010, 21:38 »

twice but pretty much at the same time
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #308 on: 05 Aug 2010, 22:45 »

Twice, the last one even more un-needed than the first.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #309 on: 06 Aug 2010, 02:13 »

Ya'll know what I meant. When they talk about Dresden they say "fire bombing" not fire bombings.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #310 on: 06 Aug 2010, 04:55 »

Just noticed the "not going to continue the story after the end cutscene" thing.

I like that. A lot.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #311 on: 09 Aug 2010, 03:04 »

When asked about how much Obsidz stands to make off of New Vegas profits:
Quote from: Chris Avellone
The contract structure is private, and it always depends on the contract. We just want to make a great game, so we're focused on that, although the pre-order units were a bit of a surprise and definitely is causing pressure here. I'll say that FNV is a little more time-consuming than the original because you can take different routes through the critical path, so get ready for 3 to 4x the amount of replayability, which is pretty cool.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #312 on: 09 Aug 2010, 14:27 »

I'm totally unable to play Fallout 3 again, I did everything last time. I've already put 160 hrs into it.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #313 on: 09 Aug 2010, 21:59 »

Confirmed VA: Matthew Perry (?), Zach Levi, Michael Dorn, Felicia Day (!), Kris Kristofferson (!!!)

If Michael Dorn returns as Marcus I am going to flip my shit.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #314 on: 10 Aug 2010, 08:35 »

Yaaaay

-- Perry's character, Benny (pictured here), is the head of the Geckos family. A smooth-talking criminal but also a bit of a weasel, Benny may sound dangerous, but isn't that tough. Ultimately he's more of a ruthless pragmatist than a villain.

-- Zachary Levi's playable character Arcade (pictured here) is a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse who hides a mysterious past. He's described as quiet, analytical, and cautious. Highly ethical and moral, he understands the post-apocalyptic world is one in which sometimes, people just have to be shot in the head. HE is more concerned with large-scale issues than the needs of individuals. He may appreciate what individual people go through, but firmly believes that it's more important to affect large-scale societal change than to fix problems little by little.

-- Another newcomer who will be familiar to video gamers is Felicia Day (The Guild), who voices the playable character Veronica, a sarcastic Brotherhood of Steel scribe.

-- A third playable companion is Raul the Ghoul, a mechanic and former gunslinger voiced by Danny Trejo (From Dusk Till Dawn).

-- Ron Perlman (Hellboy) returns to voice the narrator in Fallout: New Vegas, a role he has played in every major Fallout game to date.

-- Actor and singer/songwriter Kris Kristofferson (The Blade Trilogy) plays Chief Hanlon, a grizzled solider at the end of his career.

-- Rene Auberjonois (Boston Legal, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) is the enigmatic and reclusive Mr. House.

-- Michael Dorn (Star Trek:The Next Generation) returns as Marcus, an intelligent super-mutant, last seen in 1998's Fallout 2.

-- John Doman (Mystic River, The Wire) plays Caesar, the charismatic and powerful dictator at the head of Caesar's Legion.

-- William Sadler (The Shawshank Redemption) is Victor, a friendly robot with the personality of an old fashioned cowboy.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #315 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:12 »

Holy shit.

I mean....Holy shit.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #316 on: 10 Aug 2010, 14:05 »

Matthew Perry was apparently a huge fan of Fallout 3, so I'm sure Bethesda sought him out after hearing that. Danny Trejo and Felicia Day are pretty cool though, and of course having Marcus back is pretty sweet. I think him being in Vegas fits with his status at the end of Fallout 2, doesn't it?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #317 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:25 »

It does. He wasn't going to be in Van Buren... I wonder if he's there because Bethsoft killed off Harold like the dicks that they are.

Also, keep on your toes because the Bethsoft community manager apparently let slip the identity of the person who shot you in the head prior to the beginning of the game. Be cagey when reading previews and the like... we'll see if Bethsoft corrects the mistake officially.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #318 on: 11 Aug 2010, 17:51 »

Bethblogge on the VA. Lots of Deep Space Nine actors, apparently.

Also, Josh Sawyer on the Bethfora.
First, ammo subtypes are purely optional for the player. The base weapon system has been designed so that if you want to stick to standard ammunition types, there is always a tactical choice available to you. A hunting rifle has a high DAM and low DPS. A 10mm SMG has a low DAM, high DPS. If you're up against armored targets, the hunting rifle will usually be a better choice, especially if the targets are at range. If you want to push things, you can use AP or HP ammo to nudge the tactical applications a bit more. In some cases, the use of a particular ammo type can venture into "overkill" territory, but because variant ammo types are not as common as standard ammo, you're using a high cost consumable for that effect.

Also, there's always a tactical drawback to using certain ammo subtypes. Using HP (hollow point) ammo on even light armor will almost always be worse than using standard ammo. AP (armor piercing) ammo does a little less damage than standard ammo, so using it against lightly armored or unarmored targets is counterproductive. +P (overpressure) ammunition does more damage but wears down the weapon more quickly.

The exceptions to this are hand loads. Because hand loads require skill/perk investment and have to be built at reloading benches, they are pretty much "just better" than standard ammo. I've given two examples before: .308 JSP (jacketed soft point) and .45-70 Gov't SWC (semi-wadcutter). Both of these ammo types offer a bit of DT negation and increased DAM. This isn't necessarily due to the inherent properties of those bullet types (JSP would likely penetrate less than FMJ) but because you are hand loading the case and are just that good.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you can cycle through ammo types in real-time or you can equip them directly from the Pip-Boy.

Neutral/Unknown is not a reputation you can maintain in F:NV unless you avoid doing contentious things. There are actually two separate reputation axes for each group/area: Fame and Infamy. If you do things that help the group, you get Fame. If you harm the group, you get Infamy. The relationship of these two scores determines your overall reputation. So if you do a bunch of good and bad things, you aren't unknown; you have a mixed reputation.

This was done specifically to avoid the feeling that your actions "wash out".
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #319 on: 11 Aug 2010, 20:28 »

Also, Bill Rawls as Ceasar is almost too perfect. I like this new approach of getting a bunch of smaller but more recognizable actors to spread throughout the cast rather than the Oblivion/F3 approach of getting two big names and blowing all of your budget on them. I wonder if that was Obsidian's call or Bethesda's, I don't know who calls the shots on that kind of decision-making but I hope they use that method going forward.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #320 on: 11 Aug 2010, 23:45 »

maybe they'll hire Bruce Campbell someday...

assuming dreams do come true, that is. His voice is just so awesome.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #321 on: 12 Aug 2010, 21:02 »

IGN's got a new preview. It hints at the possibility that Victor the Robot could be a JNPC.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #322 on: 13 Aug 2010, 12:21 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #323 on: 13 Aug 2010, 14:18 »

Listen to a lo-fi recording of Ron Perlman's intro to New Vegas.

War. War never changes. When atomic fire consumed the earth, those who survived did so in great, underground vaults. When they opened, their inhabitants set out across ruins of the old world to build new societies, establish new villages, form new tribes. As decades passed, what had been the American southwest united beneath the flag of the New California Republic, dedicated to old world values, democracy and the rule of law.

As the Republic grew, so did its needs. Scouts spread east, seeking territory and wealth, in the dry and merciless expanse of the Mojave Desert. They returned with tales of a city untouched by the warheads that had scorched the rest of the world and a great wall spanning the Colorado River. The NCR mobilized its army and set it east to occupy the Hoover Dam and restore it to working condition. But across the Colorado, another society had arisen under a different flag. A vast army of slaves, forged in the conquest of 86 tribes: Caesar's Legion.

Four years have passed since the Republic held the Dam, just barely, against the Legion's onslaught. The Legion did not retreat. Across the River, they gathered strength. Campfires burned, training drums beat.

Through it all, the New Vegas Strip has stayed open for business under the control of its mysterious overseer, Mr. House and his army of rehabilitated Tribals and police robots.

You are a courier, hired by the Mojave Express, to deliver a package to the New Vegas Strip. What seemed like a simple delivery job has taken a turn…for the worst.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #324 on: 13 Aug 2010, 16:15 »

Oh and in case you were wondering, Bethsoft is sticking with Gamebryo for whatever project they've got lined up internally. They specifically denied using idtech.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #325 on: 13 Aug 2010, 16:48 »

Well, damn...I was asking around about that and no one had a straight answer for me.  Still fuggin' excited, though.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #326 on: 13 Aug 2010, 18:20 »

Plus, you know, we kinda nuked 'em that one time. Passive aggressive advertising for a post-nuclear holocaust game that pokes fun at what is practically the national gaming genre. Just feels like a (hilarious) miscalculation to me.

and i hope they never fuckin forget it

plus, it's about a nuked USA. it's cool man. i'm sure they're actually tired of playing shitty final fantasy xiii by the time this comes out

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #327 on: 13 Aug 2010, 22:18 »

Oh and in case you were wondering, Bethsoft is sticking with Gamebryo for whatever project they've got lined up internally. They specifically denied using idtech.

Fuuuuuuck, why won't they ever ditch that shitty fucking engine for something they own themselves and looks roughly a billion times better? Goddamn it, Bethsoft.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #328 on: 14 Aug 2010, 00:36 »

Maybe if/when Rage takes off (Rage is using idtech, right)?, they'll switch engines?

A man can hope.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #329 on: 14 Aug 2010, 02:37 »

Certainly a possibility. Carmack's a fuckin' beast. Rage is a year off, though. At that point the engine will probably be ready to branch out.

MCA talks Van Buren

MCA talks new features (Terminator 2 shotgun yaaaay)
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #330 on: 17 Aug 2010, 22:35 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #331 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:49 »

Quote from: A German interview with Josh Sawyer
iamgamer.de talked with Sawyer on the GamesCom. While most of the stuff in the interview is already known, there are some interesting little infoparts to get: Sawyer says, you hear in New Vegas about Redding, Gecko and Klamath. Also Crimson Caravan are named once again and the army of the master.

In a later question, Sawyer talks about how he is working for Caesar's Legion in the moment or at least the legion thinks that he is working for them. Instead, he just wants to earn reputation points with them.

Another example: He was liked by the NCR, then one of his companions asked him to cause damage to some group that is related close to the NCR. He has done it and then the NCR rangers wanted to get him down. When the NCR rangers got him, he got the choice to either "make good" again with the NCR or to get beaten up like never before.

He also said that it's hard to reach the level cap 30. Right now, he played approx 60 hours, made 30 quests and is level 23. He still has a lot quests possible to do, to level up though.

/Edit: And he talked about difficult setting in various areas. He explains, that they have areas with fixed difficult and areas, where it is a bit variable. There are areas, where you get beaten up very fast, even if you are level 20 and have good gear. As example for the difficult rate, he names the Sierra Army Depot from Fallout 2: If you go there right in the beginning of the game, you have no chance. If you level up a bit first, you will have at least a little chance and if you are level 20, you simply roll over it. Some areas in New Vegas will feel like that.

Also, Ausir, a guy I collaborated with a lot (along with Sawyer) to shore up inconsistencies and gaps in the Van Buren documentation, got to play the demo at Gamescom and promptly did things that all the other Gamescom previewers didn't, finding out a lot of new tidbits in the process. You can read his article here.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2010, 12:55 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #332 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:59 »

G4 vid with some of the finished VA in it (a bit of Victor the Friendly Robot, an NCR soldier and a Caesar's Legionnare).

Also:
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #333 on: 22 Aug 2010, 13:00 »

Quote from: Sawyer
Especially as you start using the better weapons, you should feel that the weapon skills you specialize in feel much better than the ones you neglect.

I'm 23rd level with a 6 or 7 INT on my current playthrough and I think my three tags are at 100 and one other skill is close to 90. In any case, I'm nowhere near maxing out my skills.

High INT has a smaller effect on skill points per level than it did in F3. Additionally, we have made tweaks to other stats to raise their value. E.g. all weapons have soft STR requirements that affect weapon sway or (for melee weapons) attack speed. CHR affects a stat called Nerve that grants bonuses to your companion(s).
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #334 on: 22 Aug 2010, 19:30 »

Moar

While Fallout: New Vegas is pretty much done (at the moment, the development team at Obsidian is focused purely on bugfixing, since all the content is complete), some recent news has come out about its definitive ending. Much like the original version of Fallout 3 (pre-Broken Steel DLC), New Vegas simply ends — the player won`t be able to go on to play the game some more after the ending. Destructoid has heard one reason from New Vegas senior producer Jason Bergman, and we got an additional explanation from project director Josh Sawyer reproduced below:

“We put a lot of effort into the ending slides — we know those slides are really popular with people so we want to make sure there`s a huge amount of variety and reactivity with that stuff. We weren`t really focused on new features so much as to add a really rich sense of reactivity to the players and the choices they make.”

We want to make it a definitive ending. Initially, we talked about trying to support post-game play, but because the changes that can happen at the end of the game are pretty major, this is what it basically came down to: either have the changes feel really major in the end slides and then have them not be very major after the end of the game, or make them really minor and not that impactful. And we feel it`s better to say, `you know what, we`re just going to end the game, and the changes you made can be minor or really really big, but because we can`t script all the changes to the Wasteland to let you keep playing, we`re just going to stop it there.` But we do let the player know when that`s about to happen– a sort of, `the end of the game is coming, so we`re saving your game right now, so if you want to keep your game going, you can, otherwise, it`s about to be over.`”
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #335 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:37 »

I don't recall seeing in any of the updates if this was addressed, but any idea if there will be an option to turn off the bullet time? That was fun for the first few times and then made me want to actually murder things.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #336 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:53 »

Do you mean the whole VATS system, or just the slow-mo reactions that came from using it? Because I know that apparently its going to be much easier to play the game without relying on VATS now in general, or so gamestop TV says in my ear every 10 minutes, so you can play it like a more traditional FPS. I think there's actually a different mode you can switch on, forget what its called, if I start paying attention to the TV at work my world starts to grow dark around me.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

ackblom12

« Reply #337 on: 23 Aug 2010, 14:59 »

Just the slow mo that comes from using VATS. I actually quite like the inclusion of VATS. It was just having it do the bullet cam every goddamn time I crit once I hit the mid teens that it made me want murders.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #338 on: 23 Aug 2010, 15:37 »

Same here, especially since I tended to always go for small guns and the corresponding perks, would basically crit every other fucking shot after a while. Well no word on that then, would be so nice to just have an option to switch it off...
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #339 on: 23 Aug 2010, 15:38 »

never got sick of watching a dude's entire body detonate

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #340 on: 23 Aug 2010, 17:11 »

I don't recall seeing in any of the updates if this was addressed, but any idea if there will be an option to turn off the bullet time? That was fun for the first few times and then made me want to actually murder things.
Looks like it!
Looking through gameplay options, I also noticed that the kill cam now has three modes – player view, cinematic and off. Guess which one I chose?
(from the second part of Ausir's New Vegas preview)

That preview also mentions that instead of having both Damage Threshold and Damage Resistance, F:NV now just has threshold (whereas F3 just had resistance). Sawyer says including both variables was too hard to balance. But they've left the initial work they did with DR/DT in the GECK, so intrepid modders can program it in if they want to.

Also from the sound of it there's a toggle vis a vis the kill cam which enables it for non-VATS kills as well, for those who want to fight in straight-up FPS mode but still like the bells and whistles of VATS.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2010, 17:20 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #341 on: 23 Aug 2010, 21:27 »

So wait, if DR has been removed entirely in favor of DT, doesn't that create the same problem of just picking the armor with highest number that the DR/DT system was devised to combat in the first place? I'm not fully sure why they would do that.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #342 on: 24 Aug 2010, 14:24 »

I punted your question to Sawyer and he said this:

Given how armor works in practice in F1/F2, I am extremely skeptical that the DR/DT system was designed to "combat" picking the armor with the highest DR/DT. A system is nothing without content, and the content of F1 and F2 featured a form of power armor as the end-all-be-all endgame armor. I mean, you could finish F1 in standard combat armor or Brotherhood armor, but power armor/APA is so much better that it's mostly an aesthetic choice.

Armor does follow linear DT progressions upward, but outfits are now divided into Light/Medium/Heavy classes. Light moves without any movement penalty, Medium with some, and Heavy with more. Of course, some armor types come with their own built-in bonuses and penalties. I think there are compelling reasons to use different armor types, even toward the high end.
I would assume the armor classification affects certain skills as well (sneak, etc.) but I'm waiting to hear on a clarification from Sawyer on that point.

When asked about enemies and DR / DT he said this:
No creatures have DR. Bullet sponge enemies have a lot of HP and typically don't have DT. High HP characters with no armor are begging the player to use low DAM, high DPS weapons on them.

In my current playthrough, I definitely make specific tactical choices about when to use certain weapons/ammo based on enemy armor/health/range. The anti-materiel rifle has a very low DPS for when you get it in the game. There are some weapons you can get very early in the game that easily eclipse its DPS by a healthy margin. But the sheer amount of damage it does in a single shot can bypass pretty much any DT, making its effective DPS much higher against certain targets.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 14:27 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #343 on: 24 Aug 2010, 15:17 »

Given how armor works in practice in F1/F2, I am extremely skeptical that the DR/DT system was designed to "combat" picking the armor with the highest DR/DT.

Exactly. DT/DR was there to force you to make decisions about what weapons and ammo you use against various types of opponents, not what armor you wore. Each iteration of Power Armor was objectively better across the board than all previous armors, with only Tesla Armor being even close to competitive. Heavier armors even gave you better Evade/Armor Class than lighter armors did, so there wasn't even a trade off as far as evasion vs. sheer toughness went. In Fallout 1&2  best practices meant wearing the heaviest gear you could strap on while still having an inventory-- And Power Armor boosted your strength, so there went THAT concern.

To be honest, I'm glad they're ditching Damage Resistance since it is less intuitive than Damage Threshold even if in theory a DR type system scales better.  Besides, trying to make armor piercing ammo that neutralized damage resistance while having a lower base damage just didn't work very well once you factored in that such ammunition did nothing vs. Damage Threshold. Even a -100% damage resistance modifier on your ammo will be useless if it comes with a damage modifier so low you that you almost never beat their Damage Threshold, which is why by mid-game putting AP ammo in an full auto weapon was usually a useless gesture. For that many different modifiers to really work out you'd need to make a game that is a lot mathier than most players (and hell, even devs) want to deal with.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 15:34 by Alex C »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #344 on: 24 Aug 2010, 16:08 »

So much for pre-ordering...I get this for free.  My job has awesome Perks. 

/I am so punny
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #346 on: 25 Aug 2010, 13:02 »

Makes sense, the game would have to be content complete by now if it's coming out in October. This would be more news if they were still keeping the vague 'Fall 2010' window around.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #347 on: 25 Aug 2010, 13:08 »

They were apparently content complete around E3 time. I imagine with that much gameworld to cover 3-4 months optimization would be necessary.

I still fully expect Obsidz to be criticized for engine shortcomings nobody complained about in Fallout 3. It's already happening - lots of talk about how dated the engine is in the same space as how great F3 was.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #348 on: 25 Aug 2010, 14:18 »

I like how the first comment below that article is some douche whining that the digital version should just be released right now, optimizing be damned. You know, because Obsidian doesn't get crucified for releasing unpolished games often enough.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #349 on: 27 Aug 2010, 10:32 »

They were apparently content complete around E3 time. I imagine with that much gameworld to cover 3-4 months optimization would be necessary.

I still fully expect Obsidz to be criticized for engine shortcomings nobody complained about in Fallout 3. It's already happening - lots of talk about how dated the engine is in the same space as how great F3 was.

it's so weird. in a lot of ways, f3 still looks really great and behaves pretty nicely (except the occasional bug that spawns someone forty feet too high and they fall to their death) but i've seen so many previews that say like "the engine is starting to show its seams." like, fuck off.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Up