THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 300748 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #400 on: 08 Oct 2010, 18:10 »

The way I see it, if I bought one version then I don't need to buy the other in order to play it...

ackblom12

« Reply #401 on: 08 Oct 2010, 18:25 »

Oh piracy, a great excuse for rationalization.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #402 on: 08 Oct 2010, 22:12 »

This is why the PC can't have nice things.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #403 on: 09 Oct 2010, 01:16 »

funny, though, pcs do have nice things. Like here, where they've lowered the retail price in some stores to fight piracy. I wasn't planning on buying CIV, but at 350NOK (compared to the standard 500NOK for console games), buying it becomes so much more feasable.

Also, if the same game was available for download for both consoles and pcs like 10-15 years ago, you probably would've been able to buy the game once, and get one code for each console. See Blizzard's spawn installs and the like - it seems like the companies cared more about enabeling their consumers to play in different ways earlier. I don't think it would hurt sales if they went back to that model. Or started using it if it was never really a thing.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

« Reply #404 on: 09 Oct 2010, 05:19 »

Different days, different developmental costs and there were shit loads of ways they fought piracy in those days. They just had to do it through other almost more irritating methods like requiring a password on line 12 of page 63 of this bullshit instruction manual.

Just because they didn't have the DRM capabilities they do now, doesn't mean they were all hunky dory with you making multiple copies for friends of the game you bought. Blizzard and Westwood were rather extreme exceptions and even Blizzard got sick of dealing with it once the internet made it even easier.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2010, 06:41 by ackblom12 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #405 on: 09 Oct 2010, 06:34 »

In America your average console game is what, 60 USD? That's the equivalent of 61 AUD at the moment (apart from that abysmal point this year we've been chasing you guys for parity) yet we pay 110 AUD for a new release game.

The best option available is to purchase through web only stores like 356games and cdwow where you can get each for 60-75 AUD. With those kind of discounts around you just can't rationalise pre-order bonuses. The big game stores can kid themselves all they want that this encourages sales but it's prices like these that kill their business.

Besides, the money you save on each game can go towards getting another game or DLC for the same game. Either of which would be more fulfilling than a special hat and a shotgun or whatever.

CDWOW was the one where I bought. The company is based in Australia, isn't it? Anyway, someone recently pointed it out to me as a place to buy games for cheap. Before this I looked for whichever currency cost me the least, which included Direct2Drive, Amazon and Play.com, all of which charge me in GBP which is still very profitable when exchanged for euros. Actually, now that I look at some of these prices, I'm paying the same at CDWOW as I am at Play.com, even though Play.com gives a pre-order bonus. 365games, however, is only a few pounds cheaper. I'll need to take another look at this...
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #406 on: 11 Oct 2010, 18:46 »

6 minute G4 segment detailing the "White Glove Society" quest. Featuring a levitation bug people are already shitting their pants over!
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #407 on: 11 Oct 2010, 20:12 »

And all the rest of the G4TV things:

Characters
Weapons
Art
New Features
Story
The City

Also, new perks.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #408 on: 11 Oct 2010, 21:14 »

Have they given a list of the Traits yet? I'm definitely taking Wild Wasteland but I'm curious as to what the others are.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #409 on: 11 Oct 2010, 22:33 »

They go through all the traits onscreen during the "New Features" segment. Here's what I could see:

Built to Destroy - +3% global crit chance, +15% deterioration speed on all equipment.
Fast Shot - Rate of Fire increased by 20% with guns and energy weapons, accuracy reduced by 20%.
Four Eyes - +1 PE while wearing glasses, -1 PE when not.
Good Natured - +5 to Barter / Speech / Medicine / Repair / Science, -5 to Energy Weapons (description cuts off there but presumably will include) / Guns / Explosives / Unarmed / Melee.
Heavy Handed - Non-critical melee and unarmed attacks do more damage, but critical bonuses are smaller.
Kamikaze - +10 AP, -2 Damage Threshold
Loose Cannon - +30% Thrown weapon RoF, -15% Thrown weapon distance
Small Frame - +1 AG, increased susceptibility to crippled limbs
Trigger Discipline - Converse of Fast Shot. Energy Weapons / Guns +20% accuracy, -20% RoF.
+ Weird Wasteland.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #410 on: 12 Oct 2010, 01:37 »

Hmmm, maybe I will take Good Natured after all then. That +5 bonus to all those skills seems like it'll more than make up for the combat deficiency if you specialize in one or even two weapon types. I doubt I'll invest in Unarmed or Melee at all. According to Sawyer there are supposed to be viable weapons for all 3 categories at all stages of the game, so it won't be like the earlier games where it's pointless to invest in anything but Small Guns for the first half of the game. If they really make good on that, I might just run with Energy Weapons the whole game.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #411 on: 12 Oct 2010, 01:40 »

They've done some VATS tweaking such that combat shouldn't be as easy as it was before, though we'll have to see how effective those tweaks are.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #412 on: 12 Oct 2010, 06:45 »

Sure, but the point I was making is if you specialize in one or even two weapon types out of the 5, you come out ahead by taking Good Natured because it boosts the 5 non-combat skills which regardless of build you will be using in at least some capacity. Especially in Fallout 1/2, and to a lesser extent in 3, there was no point in investing in any firearm skill except for Small Guns until over halfway through the game, if at all, unless you wanted to make combat a huge hassle. So if Sawyer is correct in his claim that all 3 firearm types have useful weapons available at all stages of the game, then that will be a big improvement over past games in the series.

Basically, what it comes down to is that I want to use Energy Weapons from the start without having to dump points into Guns because I like making things go pew-pew.

ackblom12

« Reply #413 on: 12 Oct 2010, 07:01 »

Well, actually, specializing in Hand to Hand early on with a small bit in Small Arms just to make the first few levels more manageable, was insanely powerful fairly quickly in. If you could manage to get a hold of a power fist it just got silly.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #414 on: 12 Oct 2010, 07:37 »

Loose Cannon sounds interesting.  Normal grenades were a bit weak in FO3 though.  Maybe they will bring back white phosphorous.  I wonder if they are going to having throwing knives?

Has any website posted anything about the thirst/water collecting aspect of the game?

For some reason having to scrounge for water seems like a really interesting game mechanic.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #415 on: 12 Oct 2010, 09:07 »

Well, actually, specializing in Hand to Hand early on with a small bit in Small Arms just to make the first few levels more manageable, was insanely powerful fairly quickly in. If you could manage to get a hold of a power fist it just got silly.

Yeah, I meant firearm skills specifically. Believe me, you don't need to tell me how good melee builds are in the first two games. But putting any significant amounts of skill points in Big Guns or Energy Weapons early was just gimping yourself. That's what I'm hoping they've fixed in NV.

ackblom12

« Reply #416 on: 12 Oct 2010, 09:44 »

Oh yeah, Big Guns were dog shit.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #417 on: 13 Oct 2010, 14:39 »

Energy weapons actually worked out pretty well as a sole weapon skill in F3, if you didn't mind using a laser pistol for a good chunk of your running time.

Anyway, combined pre-order numbers for F:NV have nearly exceeded the total sales for Alpha Protocol, as if that eventuality was ever in doubt.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #419 on: 13 Oct 2010, 17:36 »

does the CE come with the guide? I preorder the CE months ago but have completely forgotten what came with it.

I'd be stoked to have a huge guide for NV. You know...for emergencies only.  :wink:
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #420 on: 13 Oct 2010, 18:01 »

Should be getting this in a coupla days...but I ain't gonna have time to play it for a good week or two.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #421 on: 13 Oct 2010, 18:48 »

does the CE come with the guide?
Negative.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #422 on: 13 Oct 2010, 20:25 »

Well the drawback to getting the Xbox version is that I won't be getting my Xbox until the end of the month.

So there is gonna be some delay in playing this! 

Still gonna preorder for the $10 in Best Buy points and the mercenary in game stuff.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #423 on: 14 Oct 2010, 12:19 »

More perks

Gamasutra article on the game's music

As the player starts to see a house on the horizon, the first layer (of three) starts to play. The player hears the tension change. As he nears the house, a second layer comes in, and once he is in the center of town, the whole music track plays.

The same thing happens in reverse as the player leaves the area. This gives a very natural flow to the experience of exploring the wasteland. And to this, we also make sure the music has night and day variations.

Fallout is a game that allows for its players to choose their own role, and their own morality. Some players play the good guy, and others play the bad guy. We decided that the music system should reflect that.

If the player runs through the town of Goodsprings and kills everything in sight, the music will reflect that with a dark, foreboding tone. If the player is helpful to the townsfolk and doesn't cause too much trouble, the there is a much lighter, rural tone to the music.
Sounds promising!

Quote from: Some guy who got the strategy guide
As far as new featuresattributed to theSPECIAL stats go, I've found some stuff. With CHARISMA you get something called "Companion Nerve" witch gives your companions buffs to damage and armor. With INTELLIGENCE, if you have INT lower than 4 you will get the "dumb" conversation options. With AGILITY that will affect how fast you draw your weapon, how fast you reload, and how fast your run speed is (also you do not have a penalty for running with a one handed weapon, only two handed ones). LUCK will affect "Enemy Mishaps" i.e. enemy shooting wide, grenades blowing up early, etc.

Also
BLAST FROM THE PAST
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2010, 12:22 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #424 on: 14 Oct 2010, 13:14 »

Dumb dialogue! Fuck yeah!

Also the music system sounds fantastic. Now If only the pre load would start on steam so I can lounge about Tuesday for as long as I possibly can.

Mynah

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #425 on: 14 Oct 2010, 16:52 »

This game looks so sexy, I can hardly wait until it comes in the mail.  I'm going to be glued to my playstation for weeks :D

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2010, 17:34 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #427 on: 14 Oct 2010, 17:33 »

Not a whole lot of new info out of that stream but the incendiary grenades look like a ton of fun, and the unique sniper rifle they found looks pretty nice. Apparently Caesar's Legion prefers light armor and melee weapons, so they sound like enemies that you could tear apart with shotguns.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #428 on: 14 Oct 2010, 21:17 »

Oh shit!  I saw the .223 pistol!

The crafting system in this game could be really cool.

Recycle your batteries from your energy weapons?  Cool.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #429 on: 15 Oct 2010, 00:03 »

Aradesh from Shady Sands on NCR money.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #430 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:31 »

360 version has leaked, keeping up with recent trends. I think pirates go for the 360 first to counter the assertion that consoles are more secure.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #431 on: 15 Oct 2010, 13:29 »

Hey, I'm playing hacked playstation games right now, so it's not like it's completely unreasonable. I still wonder why they bother with copyright protection - has it ever had any effect at all on pirating?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #432 on: 15 Oct 2010, 14:32 »

I still wonder why they bother with copyright protection - has it ever had any effect at all on pirating?

Yes. It made people crack it and pirate even harder, just to prove they can.

Brilliant, I know.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #433 on: 15 Oct 2010, 14:47 »

Hey, I'm playing hacked playstation games right now, so it's not like it's completely unreasonable. I still wonder why they bother with copyright protection - has it ever had any effect at all on pirating?
Pirating on consoles is harder because the consumer of infringed goods has to put in some legwork on the hardware side of the equation before he can use them.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #434 on: 15 Oct 2010, 14:57 »

Last dev diary, on voice acting.

Full info on perks / traits / skills/ etc. Get to building your character!

Full voice cast. Lots of cameos from people we (probably?) didn't know about before - Wil Wheaton, Rob Corddry, Zoe Bell, Crocodile Dundee, etc.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2010, 15:05 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #435 on: 15 Oct 2010, 15:20 »

FYI, Steam pre-loading has apparently started.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #436 on: 15 Oct 2010, 19:29 »

Full info on perks / traits / skills/ etc. Get to building your character!

Still doesn't include the level 30 perks (unless there are none?) and any perks you get from missions, but it's still the most comprehensive list we've seen so far by a long shot.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #437 on: 15 Oct 2010, 22:48 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #438 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:17 »

PS, when you take the Wild Wasteland trait you can encounter a Zybourne Clock easter egg. That's meaningless to you unless you're well-versed in Something Awful lore (Josh Sawyer is a longtime goon).

Naturally SA has declared F:NV as GOTY 2010 four days prior to release.

Awesome.
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2010, 02:40 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #439 on: 16 Oct 2010, 03:04 »

PS, when you take the Wild Wasteland trait you can encounter a Zybourne Clock easter egg.

youve got to be fucking kidding
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #440 on: 16 Oct 2010, 03:15 »

And you get a unique Gauss rifle with a YCS-186 ID tag, no less. It's kind of amazing.

The wait is kind of killing me at this point, I have my first character sketched out until level 26, I just can't figure out the last two perks I want.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #441 on: 16 Oct 2010, 14:41 »

PS, when you take the Wild Wasteland trait you can encounter a Zybourne Clock easter egg.

youve got to be fucking kidding

Notice the faithful rendering of Johnny Fiveaces' enormous bulge.

I've heard that you can get the gauss rifle without actually toggling the Weird Wasteland perk, which makes sense.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #442 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:50 »

Pirating on consoles is harder because the consumer of infringed goods has to put in some legwork on the hardware side of the equation before he can use them.
But, that's not really a problem is it? Where the big companies are trying to make it harder to pirate their stuff, all they do is making pirating more fun for the nerds who actually do this stuff. The guys who developed, released and patched ePSXe (the ps1 emulator I'm using) probably had the blast of their lives doing just that - it was a challenging and interesting problem, and they got more back from it in feeling of achievement and positive response from tens of thousands of users than they'll probably get from most of the jobs they'll ever have. the harder you protect something, the more intent you make pirates. It's like adding a new, super-hard boss to WOW, the players will be scrambling to figure out strats, stats, glitches, drops and everything. Pirating can't be fought without surveillance of private computer use, and that's so much of a Orwellian scenario that it won't happen before people are getting shot in the streets for making fun of the leaders of the state anyways. Copyright-protection is completely meaningless for anyone else than the people getting paid to make it, and the pirates who gets a blast from working around it.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #443 on: 16 Oct 2010, 15:59 »

The point wasn't that it was harder for pirates to crack a game, but that with PCs there generally isn't a lot of effort a consumer of pirated goods has to put in to enjoy them - he just torrents an .iso and runs a crack, and for the most part he's good. Consoles have proprietary, uniform hardware specs, and as such it's really not a huge problem to build DRM schemes into hardware in ways that are nearly impossible to do in the PC realm, considering the diversity of choice. A hacker might look at the 360 or PS3 and see a healthy challenge, but the vast majority of actual consoles players are going to be extremely intimidated by the idea of fucking with their systems in ways that are necessary for playing burned leaks of console games. You have to be willing to risk your console being bricked out of warranty. You kind of have to know someone who's pulled it off.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #444 on: 16 Oct 2010, 21:33 »

I wonder if there are any negatives to taking Weird Wasteland?

It seems like it would be just more stuff and more stuff is always better.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #445 on: 16 Oct 2010, 21:41 »

It doesn't really add much of substance to the game - as far as I know there are no items or quests or characters that are added by Wild Wasteland. It mostly just adds 4th wall breaking / pop culture riffing to the environment.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #446 on: 16 Oct 2010, 21:59 »

According to the strategy guide, there are a couple of unique weapons that cannot be obtained without Wild Wasteland. The Holy Hand Grenade is one, the Gauss rifle is apparently not.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #447 on: 16 Oct 2010, 23:19 »

Alright.

Obsidian wins this round solely on the strength of Zybourne Clock.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #448 on: 17 Oct 2010, 08:51 »

According to the wiki, the Alien Blaster is only available with Wild Wasteland, there are no references to aliens without the trait selected.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #449 on: 17 Oct 2010, 09:57 »

That's meaningless to you unless you're well-versed in Something Awful lore (Josh Sawyer is a longtime goon).

Even if you're not really well-versed in the whole thing (which I'm not), it's pretty hard not to like the Johnny fan art.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21   Go Up