THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 300832 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #500 on: 20 Oct 2010, 21:11 »

Veronica rules, that is all.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #501 on: 21 Oct 2010, 14:23 »

Hahaha!

This whole time I was playing I thought that drinking beer and liquor would keep me hydrated.

Turns out that is a +thirst rather than a - thirst.

No wonder I was halfway dying of dehydration all the time!

Also the crafting system is really great.  Items like the Caravaner's Lunch are totally sweet.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #502 on: 21 Oct 2010, 16:02 »

I got the 'eyes on the side of the dog' one right off the bat.

And actually...the first time I launched the game on PC, the launcher crashed.

My 360 copy has worked fine so far.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #503 on: 21 Oct 2010, 16:07 »

So far I've just had a gecko fall through a hill.

Nothing exciting.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #504 on: 21 Oct 2010, 16:27 »

Only real glitches I've seen so far have been people walking into walls indefinitely and giant ants walking around with their heads underground and their butts up in the air.

Also, some mildy annoying (but not really troublesome in any way) stuff involving the gun/hand/arm models when sneaking. Sometimes they get bumped up on the screen into a really awkward position, and other times they are just invisible. Doesn't seem to happen when walking normally.

Just made it to Novac and the rocket factory last night. Goddamn Nightkin are practically impervious to my bullets and the halls in there are way too small to be lobbing explosives around. I need a new strategy for sure.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Mynah

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #505 on: 21 Oct 2010, 17:09 »

I've been playing a melee character, and I'm pretty sure melee weapons are completely broken in this game.  I took Super Slam and Purifier and I've been walking around with just a Bumper Sword, and I can take down pretty much anything that gets thrown at me with ease.  If I don't kill it one hit, I knock it down and then kill it while it's down.  Meanwhile, Boone kills most other things before they even get to me to begin with.

That doesn't take away from the fun, though.  I'm having an absolute blast with this game :D

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #506 on: 21 Oct 2010, 17:16 »

holy shit I completely forgot this game has companions! That explains alot.  :-P

Now I just need to actually find some of them...
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Mynah

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #507 on: 21 Oct 2010, 17:17 »

You have been missing out, my friend.  I'm having such a hard time choosing which one I want.  I've been switching between Boone and Cass, but I'd also like Rex or Veronica at some point.  Decisions, decisions...

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #508 on: 21 Oct 2010, 17:18 »

I am so jealous of not owning this. I may break into the local video game store tonight.

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug
« Reply #509 on: 21 Oct 2010, 21:51 »

Hahaha!

This whole time I was playing I thought that drinking beer and liquor would keep me hydrated.

Turns out that is a +thirst rather than a - thirst.

No wonder I was halfway dying of dehydration all the time!

Also the crafting system is really great.  Items like the Caravaner's Lunch are totally sweet.
just like real life! fallout educates you

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #510 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:20 »

I've been playing a melee character, and I'm pretty sure melee weapons are completely broken in this game.

I've been playing as a skinny weakling nerd. Small frame, Four Eyes, 4 STR, 16 melee.

I found a bladed gauntlet. I can punch people in the face so hard their heads explode. I went to Nipton and killed everyone there in one hit. Even the mister gutsy.

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #511 on: 22 Oct 2010, 07:20 »

Last night I somehow earned a perk that lets me do more damage to insects.  Not as good as the entomologist perk you can get at level up but pretty good.

Again I didn't get it at level up I earned it.

This is pretty sweet because you can only get 1/2 as many perks as you do in Fallout 3 via points.  This means you can earn extra "Challenge perks" without spending any points to get them.

Has anyone else earned any extra perks this way?

Also Comprehension was a good choice over Educated.  It makes sure my character stays reasonably strong (but not maxing out) and lets me pass most checks with magazines.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2010, 07:33 by Caleb »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #512 on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:12 »

Yeah, I've gotten several of those so far.

-I got that bug one
-another one called Something Death, or Death Something. Something like 5% more damage against everything and anything.

I think I got one or two other ones too but now I'm blanking on what they were.

Oh yeah, and I finally found a companion! Yay! Granted, it's a personality-less robot but it holds my shit and sometimes plays cool tunes so....I'm stoked.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #513 on: 22 Oct 2010, 13:01 »

Apparently ED-E does not take up a companion slot, so he/she can tag along while you wreck shit with Boone or whoever. This is nice because in combat ED-E is not particularly strong. He/she is very, very useful against ambushes, though. Really evens the odds against Nightkin.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #514 on: 22 Oct 2010, 15:05 »

The perk SWM is thinking of is Lord Death, I got it too.

Also there is one humanoid companion slot and one non-humanoid. The second slot can be filled by either ED-E or Rex. Rex is much more useful in combat but I like ED-E's perk more so it's kind of a tossup.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #515 on: 22 Oct 2010, 15:09 »

So apparently there is a patch out for 360 and PS3. I guess it makes the game crash when you go into VATS and makes your load times longer.

So I'd wait for the next one.  :|

I'm at work so I don't know from first-hand experience or anything, but that's what I've heard from a couple people online so far.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #516 on: 23 Oct 2010, 03:21 »

Protip - Northwest of a very... sunny place, there is a darker place that has something in it that Veronica will find very, very useful. Looks neat, too.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #517 on: 23 Oct 2010, 05:57 »

Still havnt played FO3 and would like to play that before NV, only because I live in maryland and venture into DC regularly.  NV does look awesome  :mrgreen:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #518 on: 23 Oct 2010, 08:35 »

Man, I have to say the voice acting in this game is wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it's fantastic other times it's worse than FO3. Sunny Smiles makes me want to beat her to death with a tire iron, for instance.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #519 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:12 »

As a whole it's a little bit better than FO3's VA. I haven't run into many of the Name actors yet ('cept for Doc Mitchell / Veronica / Boone / Raul on the radio / Mr. New Vegas) but the common voices seem to be on average just about as good as FO3's was. It's not awesome but it's not Oblivion either.

Fun with VATS
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #520 on: 23 Oct 2010, 12:47 »

Also I was surprised when I heard "Rhonda".

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #521 on: 23 Oct 2010, 15:40 »

Man so I been playign a melee character and yeah melee is nuts powerful. Just like BASHBASHBASHBASH CUTCUTCUTCUT and shit dies.

Also I just figured out that they're assholes for makign healing powder the tutorial crafting thing since healing powder ingredients + syringe = a fucking stimpack you jerks.

The whole foraging for ingredient aspects is painfully reminiscent of Oblivion and Obsidian should be ashamed of themselves.
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2010, 15:52 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #522 on: 23 Oct 2010, 16:25 »

Holy shit I just realized that NV is the abbreviation for Nevada  :psyduck:
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #523 on: 23 Oct 2010, 19:36 »

Man I finally ran into a slew of new bugs today that really actually broke parts of the game and resulted in my character dying a horrible, painful, senseless death. While I was doing the Boulder City Mission, all of a sudden my gun stopped firing in the middle of VATS, when I got out of VATS, it still wouldn't fire, and I died. Finally figured out a quick fix is to switch to another weapon and then back real quick, but it happened a couple more times. Then got a few new graphics glitches where the darkness that builds in the dust storm in Hidden Valley wouldn't leave even after I'd left it, the "shooting star" corpses that would finally land and then just bubble, with a sound like canvas in the wind, and then saw the ants and other animals walking at an odd angle in the distance, even a couple up close. They need to patch the shit out of this game.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #524 on: 23 Oct 2010, 21:42 »

Protip - Northwest of a very... sunny place, there is a darker place that has something in it that Veronica will find very, very useful. Looks neat, too.

Thanks for that tip, but I already got her this.

From a purely min-max standpoint, I almost wish I hadn't taken Wild Wasteland. The Alien Blaster is great and all, but I think the power cells you get with it are all you get and neither of the other unique weapons I've found so far are that great. The unique Gauss rifle would be pretty nice with my build.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #525 on: 24 Oct 2010, 08:45 »

It;s hard for me to choose, the FO3 Game of the Year edition looks like way more content and is definatley interesting, but NV looks like mad max and like non-stop fun.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ackblom12

« Reply #526 on: 24 Oct 2010, 10:06 »

If you want me to be completely honest, the expansion stuff for FO3 wasn't anything particularly impressive, with the exception of Broken Steel and Outlook Point. I mean, if you plan to get NV at some point no matter what, get FO3 first, because the gameplay elements and story of NV are much much better and it will be kind of painful to go back. Personally I'm enjoying NV more already though so I don't think you should get burnt out before you're done with FO3.

Also if you care too much about bugs FO3 is a bit less buggy at this point. Neither is terribly impressive in that sense, but ya know.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #527 on: 24 Oct 2010, 10:20 »

holy shit Wild Wasteland

last night I got jumped by a gang of old ladies in pink sun dresses carrying rolling pins. They all had alliterative names like Maleficent Maud. I forget the other names but I was extremely stoked when it happened because it was not something I was expecting at all....ever.
I came out of a door somewhere and one lady was standing there and she said "look at this chump, ladies" or something like that and charged at me, then two more that looked just like her came out from behind a building and attacked as well. Naturally, Boone blew all their fucking heads off almost instantly which is good because I was too busy laughing my ass off and scratching my head to shoot right away.

Decided to start a new game for some reason. Kept Wild Wasteland (after the above, there's no way I'm missing any of the other stuff). Wanted to make a really Strong character to play HC mode with that I would just punch my way through the story with (avoiding most guns & ammo, reducing one of the main challenges of HC mode: weighted ammo), and wear Power Armor asap. Anyone know where to get Power Armor training? In my first game I met some Brotherhood guys in a bunker, but I accidentally killed them. Presumably they can do that? Is there anybody else?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #528 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:20 »

I want my first character to be a total wise-ass.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #529 on: 24 Oct 2010, 12:27 »

Goddamn is this game huge. I know several people who had to take a break due to overload when they hit The Strip, and I don't blame them. I haven't met Benny yet and I'm at level 17.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #530 on: 24 Oct 2010, 13:20 »

Man. I had the most surreal experience today because I been playing this game so much and then today I spent two hours climbing a desert mountain covered in bombed out tanks and explosives testing facilities, all hell of ancient rusted metal trash everywhere while carrying a 50lb bag of marble dust to a glorious giant M on top and I think I'm too exhausted to play any NV today because I lived it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #531 on: 24 Oct 2010, 16:52 »

Ran into my first serious bug, and it's a doozy. I can't work for Mr. House - all his bots go aggro when I enter the Lucky 38, even though I was invited there. It seems to automatically list me as having sided against him, though I never made that choice. It doesn't ruin my playthrough (I was leaning towards Wild Card anyway) but a bugged critical path quest 25 hours in is still pretty embarrassing.

(this is on the 360. I might have been able to fix it via console on the PC)
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #532 on: 24 Oct 2010, 18:31 »

Just got to Helios One...Fantastic is such an awesome dude, he deserves a medal.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #533 on: 24 Oct 2010, 19:03 »

KVP, you might check to see if you're wearing another faction's armor. I got my shit ruined by the brotherhood like 8 times for wearing NCR armor around them.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #534 on: 24 Oct 2010, 20:37 »

Negative (spacesuuuuuuiiiiiiiit yeah). It's actually a bug that got patched out, but the fix only works if you load a save from before you finished the Vault 11 storyline.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #535 on: 24 Oct 2010, 20:38 »

Just got to Helios One...Fantastic is such an awesome dude, he deserves a medal.

"They asked if I had a Theoretical Physics Degree. I said I had a Theoretical Degree in Physics."

yeeeaaahhhhhhh
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #536 on: 25 Oct 2010, 03:33 »

Started playing it yesterday, but it crashed to desktop in the middle of character creation, and the sound was strangely stuttering at places, so I figured that I'll have to try to fix this today. Possibly just by setting priority to high or something, that seems to have fixed it for some.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #537 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:24 »

No companion will ever compare to Fawkes
http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/154321-bigthumbnail.jpg

Are any of the characters/groups from fallout 3 in New Vegas or is it all-new?
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

ackblom12

« Reply #538 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:38 »

Goddamn, I finally got around to actually going to the Strip last night and now I have a stupidly large number of quests I can do and my god I'm getting overwhelmed.

This is a nice feeling.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #539 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:40 »

Well, it takes place 2000 miles away, so no there's not really any overlap except for the occasional clever reference.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #540 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:41 »

Man, another CTD after 5 minutes. I found out that my graphics card driver is horribly outdated, and I've also messed around with the ini, so we'll see if it helps.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #541 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:47 »

That's why I don't play PC games anymore, if you buy an Xbox game and put it into an Xbox, you know it'll just work

Well, it takes place 2000 miles away, so no there's not really any overlap except for the occasional clever reference.

I didn't know if maybe groups like brotherhood of steel or the enclave spanned that area, also I guess I forgot how big America is, If fallout 3 was set in England you could walk to the next game
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #542 on: 25 Oct 2010, 10:23 »

Goddamn, I finally got around to actually going to the Strip last night and now I have a stupidly large number of quests I can do and my god I'm getting overwhelmed.

This is a nice feeling.

Man, I got completely overwhelmed by the time I got to Freeside....I haven't even gotten into Vegas yet.

Related: I haven't played this game in two days. Not because it's bad (quite the opposite) but because there was just too much to do! It didn't help that a big quest bugged right when I was about to finish it though!

But the real reason I haven't played it at all since then (that was Friday night) is because during the ensuing "short break" I found a game on XBL Indie called "Miner Dig Deep" and it has fully taken over my mind. It's a 2D mining platformer and it's easily in the top 3 ways I can think of to spend $1.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #543 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:44 »

That's why I don't play PC games anymore, if you buy an Xbox game and put it into an Xbox, you know it'll just work

I didn't know if maybe groups like brotherhood of steel or the enclave spanned that area, also I guess I forgot how big America is, If fallout 3 was set in England you could walk to the next game

Sorta like Oblivion, huh?

heh.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #544 on: 25 Oct 2010, 12:42 »

Well I guess there are game breaking bugs in the Xbox version.

So with no big spoilers if you are doing the Rocket Factory quest and are looking for radioactive fuel there are two choices.  You can get the fuel in Novac or on a dead body outside of a radioactive field place.  DON'T accidentally get both of them. 

This causes the quest to become completely broken and you can't finish it.

I accidentally picked up the second source for the fuel after I had gotten the fuel in Novac and returned it to the factory.

I lost 4 hours of game time.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #545 on: 25 Oct 2010, 12:53 »

Yeah, it seems there a quite a few ways to break quests a various points.

For example, during a certain drunk Companion's quest, there was supposed to be a firefight with a certain brother-sister duo but instead everyone just stood there unable to be interacted with. Oops.

Not sure what triggered that particular instance and I haven't been back yet to see if it worked itself out or if it's permanently borked, or what.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #546 on: 25 Oct 2010, 13:04 »

so the wisdom to empart to the new gamers is to save and save often?  Sounds like red dead redemption... :psyduck:

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #547 on: 25 Oct 2010, 13:12 »

Open-world games need hard saves, always, for a number of reasons. Don't rely on autosaves.

So at this point I'm going to make an educated guess and say that the first DLC is going to take place in "New Canaan" and have something to do with the Burned Man. Both were in Van Buren and are mentioned in NV (the former is talked about by the Crimson Caravan, the latter appears in the occasional loading screen) and both are, apparently, not in the core game. In VB, New Canaan was a mormon fort in the ruins of Salt Lake City, the Burned Man was originally called the Hanged Man, and he was a notoriously unkillable former associate of Caesar's with a penchant for unspeakable evil and a connection to New Canaan.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2010, 13:14 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #549 on: 25 Oct 2010, 16:54 »

My girlfriend bought me NV, its pretty cool and feels like a western.  I named my character clint eastwood...they've been playing back to the future like crazy for the past month and I couldnt help myself when the Doc asked me what my name was.  I am favoring the NCR.  They seem on the level so far.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21   Go Up