THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 300811 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #550 on: 25 Oct 2010, 17:00 »

I'm running into my old RPG nemesis again: choices. Namely, I'm starting to wonder quite a bit what would be happening if I had favored the Powder Gangers.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #551 on: 25 Oct 2010, 19:48 »

The Burned Man is referenced pretty goddamn heavily in New Vegas. The underlings in Caesar's Legion talk about him a lot, he's mentioned in some graffiti, and a couple of other assorted NPCs will explain his backstory in conversation. You can even ask Caesar himself about him, and he threatens to kill you if you don't change the subject. I was half-expecting him to show up in the endgame somehow, since I haven't gotten there yet, but I guess not. The possibility of a DLC featuring him hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if he'd be a new companion or a boss character. I suppose they could do both if they wanted to.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #552 on: 25 Oct 2010, 19:56 »

I'm just now in Vegas and doing quests so why does it feel like I'm so close to the end of the game?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #553 on: 25 Oct 2010, 21:54 »

Man Caesar's Legion is a bit of a disappointment.  I had hoped that they would be all about bringing back some basic civilization instead of post-apocalypse civ but at this point of the game they seem to be just a big war machine that keeps killing and enslaving and will never stop and rebuild anything.  And they seem to be led by a religious pilgrim gone wrong.  I mean the complaints about NRC seem to be the same complaints that people had about the US government back when people were moving west.  Sure the roads in New California are safe from Raiders now, but I don't want to get a regular job and I don't want to pay taxes!  And the people who are moving to New Vegas seem to be the same type of people who moved to the old West back in the day as well.

So NRC isn't without it's problems but for any character who isn't a complete psychopathic male how can any other choice be made?

I mean sure all games can't give you choices like at the end of Deus Ex but come on!

Hahaha.

*Spoiler Kinda*

I found my car from Fallout 2.

My collection of random energy cells and junk was still in the back.

Just like I left it

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #554 on: 25 Oct 2010, 22:10 »

Sure the roads in New California are safe from Raiders now, but I don't want to get a regular job and I don't want to pay taxes!
Actually a cursory glance over everything you encounter w/r/t the NCR indicates that they actually don't make anything safe and are, in fact, quite dysfunctional. They seem to be totally oblivious to the fact that the Legion is encroaching fairly heavily into their territory. When a rinkydink group of thugs takes over a pretty vital trading town they sit on their hands and do nothing. They have to recruit a drifter to clear a road of fucking ants. And they're headed for a severe food shortage, as you'll learn when you hit Vegas. Really the only thing standing between them and annihilation at the hands of the better trained, better equipped Caesar's Legion is the player character. And chances are if you save their asses they're liable to just keep on expanding their territory with no regard for how they're actually going to manage it. At least Mr. House can actually get shit done, and he doesn't crucify people.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #555 on: 25 Oct 2010, 22:36 »

The only people in the wasteland that I really like and generally agree with are the Followers of the Apocalypse. They don't like killing things as much as I do, but they genuinely want to help everybody and don't (seem to) have any of their own agendas or anything like all the other groups do.

I'm hated by pretty much every faction except them, and then some of the various towns.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #556 on: 26 Oct 2010, 01:24 »

The Followers of the Apocalypse are definitely the closest thing the Fallout universe has to 'good guys'. But since they don't like fighting people, they aren't exactly power players in the wasteland.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #557 on: 26 Oct 2010, 01:46 »

Also (spoiler alert)

They're covertly assisting Benny's bid to overthrow Mr. House, so it's not like they're impartial arbiters of truth and justice who are above high-stakes political gambling (pun intended)
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #558 on: 26 Oct 2010, 14:08 »

This morning, as if to hammer the point home on how much none of the "big" factions like me, I found a barn with some Viper gang members in it and when I was done killing them, I was immediately set upon by Legion Assassins (like six of them!) and a group NCR Rangers who said I had three days to clean up my act; Literally the leaders of each group appeared behind me, standing right next to each other and gave me their various messages of hate one after the other. It's actually a good thing the Rangers showed up and weren't there to hurt me yet because they really helped take care of those Legion douches.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #559 on: 26 Oct 2010, 15:54 »

Just met Mr. house, tracking down benny.  I am so confused at what the politics are at this point. :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #560 on: 26 Oct 2010, 16:15 »

Overall figures seem to point to 1.4 million in sales worldwide in the first week. 30% or so more than FO3 sold. I'm not even sure that takes digital sales into account.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #561 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:15 »

Considering Fallout 3 ended up at about 5 million between all platforms, that's a good sign for Obsidian. Having a legitimate multi-million seller under their belt should give them some job security for a few years at least.

I just finished my first run of the game, save clock was around 65 hours. Loved it, but I'm kind of burned out for right now so I'll have to come back in a while for another playthrough. I have a hard save right before the plot branch so I can load up and do the Mr. House/Yes Man paths pretty easily, but I'll pretty much have to start from scratch to work for Caesar since I pissed the Legion off pretty early.

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #562 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:51 »

My friend has FalloutNV on the PC and after about 20 hours of play his save corrupted and he lost everything
I thought he was going to fucking EXPLODE
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #563 on: 27 Oct 2010, 06:59 »

Reminds me I have to back up my saves. It started working when I switched to steam offline mode, except from the random AI glitch now and then - I've had a gecko charge at me, and just keep going forwards when I side-stepped, and keep going forever. Radscorpions has a tendency to sink partially into the ground (but still being lootable, luckily), and there's some invisible walls on the NCR correctional facility towers. Other than that, no bugs or glitches. There's a problem with meelee-based enemies not figuring out how to traverse z-levels at times, but that's probably more of an engine failure than a bug.

This game is great fun! The western feel is pretty well done, the combination of western and the fallout universe is perfect. The fighting is certainly better than in F3, especially in hardcore mode, which is great in itself. Ammo recycling and the other kinds of crafting is good, but doesn't feel compulsory. If Obsidian manages to fix their damned bugs, New Vegas will be a strong all-over GOTY challenger.

And goddammit Nightkin doesn't award enough XP compared to their toughness and damage potential. I managed to take them down with Stealth-boys of my own, but meeting two of them lost me as much HP as 8 gang members, and awarded me 1/6 of the XP.
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2010, 07:01 by snalin »
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #564 on: 27 Oct 2010, 07:11 »

Do people only use one save these days?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #565 on: 27 Oct 2010, 08:53 »

To save your disk space, it's sensible to overwrite one, maybe two or three saves over and over again, since at the end of the game you're not likely to backtrack to a level 5 save to see how things could have turned out with option B instead of A. For this game it seems smarter to bump that number up to a hundred.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #566 on: 27 Oct 2010, 09:44 »

Do people only use one save these days?
A lot of people seem to be relying on autosaves, which is a bad idea, as there seem to be certain places (in my game for instance, the gift shop in Novac) that run the risk of corrupting it. My policy is a hard save every 15 minutes, and backup of files every hour / hour and a half, though I have yet to experience the corruption of anything other than the autosave (and then only once).
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #567 on: 27 Oct 2010, 11:08 »

I don't know, the late 90's taught me the hard way to keep multiple saves for any RPG. I just can't imagine doing it with anything less than 3 - 4 saves.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #568 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:16 »

I ended up with 3 saves at the end of my game but two of them were literally 3 minutes apart, before and after killing Mr. House.

I did have an autosave corrupt on me at one point, but I only lost about half an hour of progress. Mildly irritating but not that big of a deal.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #569 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:44 »

I've actually been pretty lucky with saves. After I got to Freeside I started noticing quests overlapping and failing, or just glitching outright (for example, Jean-Baptiste became completely unable to be interacted with at one point, even after death I couldn't loot his body. It just made that clicking noise it makes when something is invalid) and my game even froze a couple times but I was lucky in that it happened in Freeside where it autosaves every couple minutes and I lost maybe 30 seconds of walking and one conversation, no biggie.

After that, I got into the habit of hard saving more often just in case the autosaves weren't good enough, or didn't work right or something.

also, I'm just gonna leave this here:

insane mutant grandma  :mrgreen:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #570 on: 27 Oct 2010, 13:40 »

I'm running into my old RPG nemesis again: choices. Namely, I'm starting to wonder quite a bit what would be happening if I had favored the Powder Gangers.

So this got the better of me and the answer is: I'd kill a shitton of people and NCR and enjoy it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #571 on: 27 Oct 2010, 14:30 »

I typically have 2-3 saves in a game like this.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Snuffletrout

• Emoticontraindication
  • Umm... Yiharr?
« Reply #572 on: 27 Oct 2010, 14:32 »

I ordered F:NV to be shipped to my house instead of downloading it from steam like I do with most games. Normally it would have been here on the releaseday, but it seems the mail's gone missing or something since I still dont have it. Have contacted the store's support of course..

But judging from problems people are having maybe its a good thing I allow some time for bug-fix patches to become available. Would suck the big one to get corrupted saves. I usually did quicksaves before every new encounter in Fallout 3 in case I had to drink some wine and get more speech... And before picking locks, hacking etc. Quicksave is gold.

Will play Civ5 meanwhile...  :-D

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #573 on: 28 Oct 2010, 06:05 »

I generally only save every once in a great while. I rely mostly on autosaves.

However, I cannot stand losing companions. I always reload my last save if a companion dies, even if it was two hours' progress ago. If I fail a speech check or jam a lock, I'll move on but if ED-E gets busted, I am watching that load screen.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #574 on: 28 Oct 2010, 07:50 »

Can ED-E die? I've had get knocked unconscious a couple of times but it reboots after a couple of minutes.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ackblom12

« Reply #575 on: 28 Oct 2010, 08:20 »

Yeah, I've had ED-E get it's dumb ass killed a couple times when she wanders off and pisses off a group of golden geckos or those goddamn mutant wasps.

I hate those wasps so much.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #576 on: 28 Oct 2010, 13:22 »

Can ED-E die? I've had get knocked unconscious a couple of times but it reboots after a couple of minutes.
Hardcore mode toggles companion permadeath. It makes explosives and low-CHA builds problematic. Boone does well for himself, though.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #577 on: 28 Oct 2010, 14:43 »

I think one time I'll try a cult leader build where I'll just have 10 CHA and see if I can get away with never fighting anything myself after I reach the point in the game where I can get companions. I think Boone and Rex would be the best combo for that purpose.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #578 on: 28 Oct 2010, 17:28 »

ED-E is much more useful in hardcore mode - as long as you keep him a fair length away from the action he basically makes you immune to ambushes.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #579 on: 29 Oct 2010, 06:18 »

Immune to ambushes, able to see locations from halfway across the map, and it's just a flying duffel bag with a laser on it. Plus, he catches enemies on fire, which helps.

So, what's this Maria weapon I keep hearing about?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #580 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:27 »

Maria is Benny's pistol, right? I just killed him and picked it up last night, if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, Chandler, but you fucking shot me in the head you dick! I tried punching him to death but it was taking too long with an unarmed skill of 18 so I pickpocketed Maria from him and shot him in the head with his own gun. Asshole.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #581 on: 29 Oct 2010, 14:35 »

I've just cleared the Rocket Factory of Nightkin with That Gun. I think I'm going to try and finish this first run through without any companions.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #582 on: 29 Oct 2010, 14:38 »

Later on tonight I'll probably upload my customn R.A.C.E. radio station, for anyone who's playing with the PC. It's gonna be all dark ambient stuff in the vein of the first game.

If you don't have the PC version, well, turn off the radio every once in awhile. The dynamic music system Obsidz created is pretty awesome.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #583 on: 29 Oct 2010, 16:16 »

Yeah, I'm more than impressed with the music i n this game. I was a little sceptical of if it would work as well as they were oping but damn it's great.

On the other hand, will that custom radio station by any chance feature any of Mark Morgan's  remastered/remixed Fallout ambient stuff?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #584 on: 29 Oct 2010, 16:48 »

Oh yeah, and the stuff that Mark Morgan ripped off in the first place.

A lot of the incidental music in the game is from the first two, actually.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #585 on: 29 Oct 2010, 16:54 »

Fantastic, I'm looking forward to it.

Also I've noticed that as I go on in the game with my melee build, I'm really wishing I was better with guns.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #586 on: 29 Oct 2010, 21:06 »

I never have the radio on anyhow, a lot of complaints about the radio are spot on: far too few songs and no variety when switching stations. The DJs are great, but not worth sitting through Ain't That a Kick in the Head for the 50th time while running from radscorps.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #587 on: 29 Oct 2010, 21:30 »

I never have the radio on anyhow, a lot of complaints about the radio are spot on: far too few songs and no variety when switching stations. The DJs are great, but not worth sitting through Ain't That a Kick in the Head for the 50th time while running from radscorps.
oddly enough I like the ranger song...with a big iron on his hip... :psyduck:

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #588 on: 29 Oct 2010, 21:33 »

I really really like Heartache by the Numbers (tied to a good memory) and Black Mountain Radio is hilarious, and I tend to tune out music in games completely if I'm focusing on something, so even though it should be a problem it isn't.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #589 on: 29 Oct 2010, 21:33 »

See everybody says it's "big iron" but I keep hearing "pig iron".
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #590 on: 30 Oct 2010, 00:25 »

The title in the credits is Big Iron, so...

I actually hardly used the radio in New Vegas, not because I disliked the tracks they picked (I actually really like the Sinatra version of Blue Moon and Jingle Jangle Jingle grew on me a lot during the course of the game) but because the ambient music was actually very good for the most part.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #591 on: 30 Oct 2010, 11:33 »

plus new vegas radio's Mr. New vegas (who is voiced by wayne newton btw) says the news and for some reason I like hearing the bad news become good news after I complete quests.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #592 on: 30 Oct 2010, 13:17 »

There's some pretty weird bugs with the Prim sheriff quest. The trader responded to me as if I had chosen one of them outside of dialogue, another (the right one) inside the dialogue, and the radio reported that I'd taken the third one. Maybe this is because I'd tried all three over the course of several saves, but it's still weird, though.

That quest bothered me since *spoiler* neither of the choices gave any reputation change for any of the involved parties. The residents complained after I'd chosen the NCR sheriff, but that didn't gain me NCR reputation (like I think it should do, since I'm after all helping them gain control of more territory), nor did it give me negative reputation with the locals, even though they made it clear that they were less than satisfied with martial law. Choosing the sheriff from the correctional facility didn't do anything special either.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #593 on: 30 Oct 2010, 13:47 »

Nope. There's no particularly special reward for any choice on that mission. They're unhappy no matter who you pick, though less so with Slim, but it doesn't matter.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Caleb

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #594 on: 30 Oct 2010, 18:56 »

I mean the interview with the sheriff I chose was reward enough.

"Be good or I will shoot you dead"

But yeah I think there are glitches with that quest.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #595 on: 30 Oct 2010, 19:43 »

I think you get some xp for the extra legwork involved in installing the NCRCR sheriff, but for the most part it all affects the ending slides.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #596 on: 31 Oct 2010, 03:32 »

Nah, you get bonus XP for the skill checks when you fix the robot, convince NCR to send extra troops, and convince NCR to pardon the last alternative. All in all the choices for that mission was underwhelming.

One thing that's not underwhelming is sniping ants at dry lakes (I think there's several). I'm not sure why, but the combination of slow-mo camera and XP bar every time I manage to land a kill gives a pretty nice feeling. It's still pretty weird that the same shot that gives critical when you're crouching, doesn't give crits if you are standing, even if the thing you are shooting cannot see you either way. I'd prefer it if you were always sneaking, and crouching only gave you a stealth bonus and the "hidden/caution/danger" message and allowed you to pickpocket.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #597 on: 31 Oct 2010, 03:39 »

Sneak toggle is useful for a number of design reasons, but Bethsoft seems to have implemented it such that you can toggle between talking and stealing.

Sneak attack criticals are sort of kind of broken from long distances (though the only way I know of killing the Alpha Deathclaws without getting your ass handed to you is to sneak-snipe with incendiary ammo from the AM rifle), but the DT system makes it feel more balanced, unless of course you invested heavily in sniping in general, in which case the feeling of power is entirely appropriate. If you could sneak attack with ranged weapons in, say, 3.5E D&D, no one would choose not to be a rogue.

At 10 CHA Boone is running through dungeons with his sniper rifle and netting me xp while I loot dressers and crates.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #598 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:21 »

I'm having trouble figuring out which factions I want to side with.  The only people who hate me are the Powder Gangers.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #599 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:54 »

At 10 CHA Boone is running through dungeons with his sniper rifle and netting me xp while I loot dressers and crates.

Hell, even at CHA seven and level nine Boone two-shot a Glowing One outside the Repconn test site.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21   Go Up