THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 08:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Jan 11 to Jan 15 2010  (Read 36476 times)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Re: WCT Jan 11 to Jan 15 2010
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:09 »

By the way, what happened to Death Mole ?
Carpe Diem

Kross

• Plantmonster
    • I Can Haz Posse?
« Reply #51 on: 12 Jan 2010, 08:35 »

Did you guys see that? I just saw Marten's chances of getting laid fly right out the window.
Huntress (talking to The Question on a cellphone): So what are you wearing?
The Question: Blue overcoat. Fedora.
Huntress: You really stink at this.
The Question: ...Orange socks?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #52 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:07 »

Ah yes, the look.  I've been on the receiving end of that glare a few times. 

I'm guessing Jeph has, too - he has it down pat. 

Seriously, why do women expect men to read their minds?  We have a hard enough time with our own! 

Also, I just noticed in the last few strips - Dora's hair is a few shades lighter than Marten's now.  Almost grey-ish rather than black.  (grey?  gray? damn, need more coffee - can't remember shit). 

Maybe that's one of the differences about her that people have been noticing lately! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #53 on: 12 Jan 2010, 09:14 »

By the way, what happened to Death Mole ?

Pretty sure Nat (Amir's ladyfriend, in case you do not remember) threw a huge shitfit, broke up with Amir, and left.
Since then things have not really been looked in to (as far as I remember.)

Also, that is likely part of it, Carl.
I guess dyeing your blond hair black doesn't really work that well.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #54 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:28 »

I'm guessing Dora just doesnt want someone walking in on them again. :laugh:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #55 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:43 »

^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Dora doesn't want to just have kinky times in the bedroom anymore, and having Faye around is really cramping that style  :laugh:

What entertains me is that Marten assumed Dora was trying to invite herself into his apartment. Sorta goes along with the "everyone in the comic lives here" mentality. But I too an fearful of what Pintsize might do to Mieville. Then again, isn't Mieville supposed to be evil or such?

Watched Pot

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #56 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:47 »

Prediction: Marten will move in with Dora because else she devours him, Marigold will throw out Angus because he's an INSENSITIVE JERK! and then he will move in with Faye. Cue the UST.
Until they resolve it by completely getting their fuck on! Fuckin' in the kitchen! Fuckin' in the living room! Fuckin' in Faye's room! Fuckin' in Angus' room! Fuckin' in the bathroom! Fuckin' on the ceiling*! Fuckin' in the fridge!  Whoooooo!

*Pintsize will help them with that one
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #57 on: 12 Jan 2010, 10:49 »

What entertains me is that Marten assumed Dora was trying to invite herself into his apartment. Sorta goes along with the "everyone in the comic lives here" mentality. But I too an fearful of what Pintsize might do to Mieville. Then again, isn't Mieville supposed to be evil or such?
it would be like tom and jerry!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #58 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:01 »

^ Which, of course, would be awesome! Hijinks!

Who would relate more to Tom though, and who to Jerry? I'd rather Mieville relate more to Jerry, so that Pintsize could meet his match!

peacetokengy

• Not quite a lurker
    • Holy crap...Myspace!
« Reply #59 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:27 »

If Marten moves out Faye is going to need someone to split the rent......someone like Angus I hope.
-Imakuni?-

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:39 »

or hanners...or amir...or sven's intern whose name escapes me right now...or raven...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #61 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:52 »

Why would Hanners move downstairs just to share a flat with someone who clearly has insufficient* hygiene?

*She probably doesn't even alphabetise her clean underwear!
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #62 on: 12 Jan 2010, 12:00 »

she lived with them before and it was alright.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2010, 13:27 »

Flash forward a few weeks: Faye wakes up one day to walk in on Angus playing air guitar in a bathrobe.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 12 Jan 2010, 13:37 »

My thoughts echoed exactly what Jeph wrote in the little light gray box area.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #65 on: 12 Jan 2010, 13:39 »

Still haven't found a cure for that foot in mouth disease have you Mr. Reed?

:-D

Seriously though, it would be better if Marten moved in with Dora, then Tai could move in with Faye

Imagine the hijinks

:evil:

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #66 on: 12 Jan 2010, 14:05 »

I don't think Dora necessarily has a right to demand they move into HER apartment, or any reason to, but I agree that the main idea behind her proposing this move-in is probably to live with just-Marten, without roommates. In fact, Marten's really being rather slow on the uptake here--what couple really wants to live with someone else? You move in together as a couple precisely so that you CAN have sex on the couch without having to deal with roommates walking in on you!

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #67 on: 12 Jan 2010, 15:39 »

LeeC, at first I didn't see the quote in your Tom and Jerry post, so this is what (thought) I saw...

Until they resolve it by completely getting their fuck on! Fuckin' in the kitchen! Fuckin' in the living room! Fuckin' in Faye's room! Fuckin' in Angus' room! Fuckin' in the bathroom! Fuckin' on the ceiling*! Fuckin' in the fridge!  Whoooooo!

*Pintsize will help them with that one

it would be like tom and jerry!

And for a brief moment, my childhood was destroyed as I imagined what version of Tom and Jerry you watched.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
« Reply #68 on: 12 Jan 2010, 15:49 »

Seriously, why do women expect men to read their minds?  We have a hard enough time with our own! 

It's not that she expects him to read her mind.  The glare is from realizing that Marten is so far behind the curve it's almost hopeless. 
They've been going out for 1000 strips, that's about two months time-wise.  Of course she's going to want to move in together.  I was wondering
what's taking her so long.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #69 on: 12 Jan 2010, 15:58 »

Sure, Dora expects Marten to read her mind. Otherwise, she'd have said, "We could save a lot of money if you moved into my apartment."

To be fair, Marten should have replied, "Were you thinking about me moving in with you, or you with me?" And he's not behind the curve. As someone else stated, he'd going to leave Faye in the lurch if he suddenly moves out. Dora is not considering that, or, worse, she is.

What I see is Dora playing insecurity games again. She really needs to work on that.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #70 on: 12 Jan 2010, 16:12 »

Haha. The "Move-in" situation is always interesting. As for myself, managed to get a one-bedroom with the girlfriend without too much drama, although the original idea was to move a bunch of friends into a larger place.

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #71 on: 12 Jan 2010, 16:20 »

Okay, Dora cannot mess up the big happy family of Marten, Dora, Hanners, and Faye.

I don't blame her for wanting Marten to move in with her, and it's probably normal in that situation but...NOOOOOOOOO!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 12 Jan 2010, 18:43 »

And Dora's legendary insecurity finally turns its ugly head toward Faye.  Well, more decisively.  I guess she was kind of jealous of Faye early on, in the 600's or so.

It's reasonable, but she really ought to wait for the end of the lease.  After all, she knows Faye's finances better than anyone.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #73 on: 12 Jan 2010, 21:01 »

It would take an incredibly secure person to not be at least a little bothered by their SO living with someone they once had feelings for, and who may still have those feelings on some level. After all, look how well that worked out for Steve and Meena. As in, it didn't.

And Dora may have a solution to the "leaving Faye in the lurch" problem, like maybe another roommate for her. But the discussion hasn't got to that point yet, mainly due to Marten's resistance to the moving in suggestion.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

helloandgoodbye

« Reply #74 on: 12 Jan 2010, 21:11 »

It would take an incredibly secure person to not be at least a little bothered by their SO living with someone they once had feelings for, and who may still have those feelings on some level. After all, look how well that worked out for Steve and Meena. As in, it didn't.

And Dora may have a solution to the "leaving Faye in the lurch" problem, like maybe another roommate for her. But the discussion hasn't got to that point yet, mainly due to Marten's resistance to the moving in suggestion.

Even so, Marten is the most solid guy ever.  He would never cheat, and I don't think Faye would ever want to hurt Dora either. 

Ah, well.  Let's see how this turns out.  I don't want them to move out together, but it's kind of bound to happen at some point.

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #75 on: 12 Jan 2010, 21:59 »

I wonder when Martin is going to snap and wear that scrawny bitch like a fucking suit.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #76 on: 12 Jan 2010, 22:40 »

I see where she's going with this; after the wedding, Faye gets as intoxicated as last time (if not more so) and then they tell her she needs to find a new roommate and send her off on a vision quest.

helloandgoodbye

« Reply #77 on: 12 Jan 2010, 22:46 »

YAY DORA IS NOT BEING PUSHY.

ALSO:  SHE LOOKS VERY CUTE IN PANELS 1 AND 6.  LESS MASCULINE.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 12 Jan 2010, 22:50 »

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME

tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

helloandgoodbye

« Reply #79 on: 12 Jan 2010, 22:54 »

:roll:

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #80 on: 12 Jan 2010, 23:36 »

This just a formality. We all know Dora has Martin's balls already cut off and bronzed on the living room's mantle.
Help bring back the dragons!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #81 on: 12 Jan 2010, 23:44 »

Teh.

I dont understand this common belief that men dont like being told about marriage / having children.

Some girl telling me she wants to marry / have children with me is probably the sexiest thing a girl could do to me.

Not that it actually already happened ...

Then again, I'm the binary type of man - either I want to do everything with a woman, or nothing at all. Theres no third "I only want to have sex" option" with me. I think its because I'm a romantic.
Carpe Diem

tedzsee

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.lucastds.com/webcomic
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jan 2010, 23:58 »

Don't know if Jeph ever reads these forums, but I just thought I'd throw a compliment out there:

the expression on Marten's face in both of the final two panels of today's comic really shows how far his art work has come.  Excellent.
8 1/2 by ELEVEN, a webcomic about you by Lucas TdS.  Updates every weekday.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #83 on: 13 Jan 2010, 04:15 »

Clean up in room five - someone's mind's all over the floor.

None of those concepts - moving in together, marriage or children are scary in and of themselves - the trick is to do that "What would it be like ?" thought process. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #84 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:32 »

Some girl telling me she wants to marry / have children with me is probably the sexiest thing a girl could do to me.

Not that it actually already happened ...

I used to be like you.  Believe me, it's nowhere near as sexy the second time around...

Also,

Even if most of your future is in the past...

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #85 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:10 »

No fair springing the marriage scare.  That's just a mean thing to joke about.

Then again, I am pretty much the opposite of snubnose on this subject.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Superkid11

• Obscure cultural reference
  • New teeth!
« Reply #86 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:14 »

I used to be like you.  Believe me, it's nowhere near as sexy the second time around...
Yyyeah, it becomes a bit disturbing in hindsight if a breakup ever occurs.

Except I was the one saying it, not her. But anyway...

Yeah if I were in Marten's position I'd be pretty damn freaked out. Even with Dora not being pushy.

Ghanima Atreides

« Reply #87 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:23 »

Moving in with someone was scary enough in that "your life changes overnight" way...even after 6 years talk of marriage and/or kids except in the hypothetical sense would still put me on edge.  :| But that's because I want neither. So, I feel for Marten, heh.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #88 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:24 »

Teh.

I dont understand this common belief that men dont like being told about marriage / having children.

In this particular instance, Marten's reaction could simply be because he and Dora have only been dating a short time (I think someone mentioned 2 months as an approximation). I know there are cases out there where people decided to get married after the first or second date, but it doesn't seem like that is the case here.
So, Marten could simply be having fun in the moment of the relationship, and is shocked that Dora is taking the possibilities so far, when he is not ready for that at all.

ink slinger

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #89 on: 13 Jan 2010, 11:28 »

They've been going out for 1000 strips, that's about two months time-wise.

I think it's probably been longer than 2 months. There are occasionally big jumps forward in time in the comic. Once in a while it will be summer and then, suddenly, in the next strip, it'll be winter. I'm not sure how many times this has happened during Marten and Dora's relationship, nor am I sure how many months are skipped over in each leap forward, but I'm pretty sure Marten and Dora have been together longer than 2 months.

That said, I'd guess that it's probably been no more than 6 months. It's hard to estimate comic time, though, so I could be way off.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #90 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:02 »

I think it's probably been longer than 2 months. There are occasionally big jumps forward in time in the comic. Once in a while it will be summer and then, suddenly, in the next strip, it'll be winter. I'm not sure how many times this has happened during Marten and Dora's relationship, nor am I sure how many months are skipped over in each leap forward, but I'm pretty sure Marten and Dora have been together longer than 2 months.

That said, I'd guess that it's probably been no more than 6 months. It's hard to estimate comic time, though, so I could be way off.

This jump has only happened once--right around the time Dora dyed her hair.  and I believe it was a jump forward some 3-4 months

But I agree on the probably 6 months of dating (holy crap, that's about how long my girlfriend and I have been dating.  If she started talking about marriage I'd freak, the same with moving in together... but we're younger than Dora and Marten and still live in dorms, so that's not gonna happen--although her roommate and my roommates are really good friends, so she could theoretically propose a switch which would parallel the moving-in conversation)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 13 Jan 2010, 12:18 »

Well, at least she's going the reasonable route with this, even if it is causing Marten's brain to suffer Harddrive Failure.  :D  ;)

Also, helloandgoodbye and scarred, could you PLEASE STOP SHOUTING!!!!     :|
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010, 12:21 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

« Reply #92 on: 13 Jan 2010, 20:50 »

Is something the matter with Jeph? These early comics just aren't like him. Also, I thought that Dora and Marten were the parents and Hanners and Faye the children.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2010, 20:55 by westrim »

Ferahgo the Assassin

• Plantmonster
    • http://ferahgo-the-assassin.deviantart.com/
« Reply #93 on: 13 Jan 2010, 21:10 »

Aw.

I think Marten and Faye's friendship is one of my favorite parts of this webcomic.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #94 on: 13 Jan 2010, 21:25 »

I'm impressed with how relaxed Faye is with all this.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #95 on: 13 Jan 2010, 21:35 »

It's 'cause she knows it ain't happenin' anytime soon! 

helloandgoodbye

« Reply #96 on: 13 Jan 2010, 22:31 »

Aw.

I think Marten and Faye's friendship is one of my favorite parts of this webcomic.

Same.  Faye is just interesting to watch in general 'cause she's the most rounded character (IMHO, at least).

They are proof that guys and girls really can be just friends. :)

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #97 on: 13 Jan 2010, 23:47 »

Aw.

Same.  Faye is just interesting to watch in general 'cause she's the most rounded character (IMHO, at least).

They are proof that guys and girls really can be just friends. :)

Interestingly put.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #98 on: 14 Jan 2010, 02:32 »

Hehe Faye is indeed "well rounded" SCNR  :evil: :roll: :wink: :-D
Carpe Diem

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #99 on: 14 Jan 2010, 04:07 »

This makes two comics in a row in which Jeph has surprised me, and in a good way. Are all the kiddies growing up? Or are Faye and Dora simply planning to freak when and where Marten can't see it happen? Either way, Faye's looking good in this comic. And she's wearing shorts. Maybe she really is relaxed!
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up