THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 87698 times)

Ptommydski

Re: Where to start?
« Reply #250 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:47 »

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere was my starting point. It's a good one, too.

That's a good one to start with. Harvest is an unfocused, borderline uncharacteristic record but if you liked at least some of it, then you're probably going to enjoy his better records a lot more. Skip the self-titled debut, you can come back to that later. If you preferred the rockers - his first record with Crazy Horse is Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, essentially a two guitar blow out. If you preferred the folk/country songs, there's another weird mess of a record called After The Goldrush which is actually really great. I think you really have to hear these three records before you embark on The Ditch Trilogy, which is indisputably his best material.

The Ditch Trilogy refers to Neil's wilderness years after the accidental success of Harvest. He was booked to play a worldwide stadium/arena tour and was basically expected to reprise the Harvest material. Instead, Neil being Neil, he more or less entirely played new material he had written after Nashville or indeed, was writing whilst on tour. The combination of his distaste for large arena style shows, constant financial and creative disputes with his own touring band, guilt from the death of Crazy Horse guitarist Danny Whitten and persistent alcoholism made the tour a living hell, captured aptly on the sadly deleted but widely-bootlegged live album Time Fades Away, which features no songs from his previous studio records. This one might take a while to click but it's worth hearing before moving on to Tonight's The Night, which is rightfully described as "a drunken Irish wake of a record". Dedicated to the memory of Whitten and former roadie Bruce Berry, both of whom had died of drug overdoses, Young lead his band through a series of dark, deeply personal songs. Essentially recorded live from the floor, Tonight's The Night is a unique record in the sense that it was more or less improvised on the spot and indeed, the performers were also rolling drunk throughout. Regardless, it's a dour masterpiece of raw, undiluted mourning.

Understandably wary of releasing the difficult, inebriated Tonight's The Night, Young's record company delayed the release until after the superb On The Beach, which is for me his career highlight. Alternately rocking and downbeat, it was the first time Young had found the perfect compromise between the two sides of his music. Side One is relatively upbeat (defiant but also scathing and sarcastic) but Side Two is an absolute bummer, featuring several folky ruminations on the trappings of fame, the demise of Young's second marriage to actress Carrie Snodgrass and the general disillusionment felt by the inhabitants of the West Coast in the wake of the demise of sixties idealism, replaced by a collective hangover of apathy, distrust and guilt. Clearly on a roll, Young reunited Crazy Horse and cut the equally brilliant Zuma, a guitar heavy cousin of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere with the naked emotional exposure of the preceding Ditch Trilogy. The following records are decent but in truth, Young never really managed to scale the same peaks of creative brilliance ever again. American Stars N Bars, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps and Hawks & Doves have their moments, some people make an impassioned defence of the bizarre Trans but overall, I don't ever listen to anything post eighties.

Incidentally, Neil was also the subject of one of the best books ever written about rock music - the biography Shakey. That's the best buy you could make if you're looking to get into Neil.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #251 on: 11 Sep 2010, 13:27 »

Guys, guys.
Sonic Youth.
I only heard "Kool Thing" And "Teen Age Riot". I liked both.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #252 on: 11 Sep 2010, 17:49 »

I really like their most recent album The Eternal. It's pretty poppy I guess, I thought it was really accessible and it has definitely gotten me attracted to their older stuff.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #253 on: 11 Sep 2010, 17:57 »

I think generally EVOL and Sister are the ones agreed on to begin with as they are probably their best albums? Personally I've always been a big fan of Bad Moon Rising. Also Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols. But everything before their move to Geffen, and everything in recent years (since Murray Street) has been good.

So: Listen to Sister. If you like it, go backwards in their catalog, if you still prefer Daydream Nation (listen to it as well) then go forward.

Edited for unintended question mark
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2010, 18:40 by DarkAvenger »

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #254 on: 12 Sep 2010, 17:55 »

So, listening to the albums after Daydream Nation and before Murray Street isn't mandatory to appreciate their body of work?
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #255 on: 12 Sep 2010, 21:04 »

Mandatory? What a strange way of thinking about it.  Dirty and Washing Machine are each fantastic.  They may not be as unquestionably influential as other Sonic Youth albums, but you don't have to be an obsessive or a collector of all things Sonic Youth to appreciate them. 

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #256 on: 12 Sep 2010, 21:06 »

Oh hey guys, gimme the lowdown on Tortoise. I saw them at ATP and they were maybe my favourite band of the whole weekend.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #257 on: 12 Sep 2010, 21:48 »

Ignore their last two albums and you'll probably be good.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #258 on: 12 Sep 2010, 22:00 »

More detail, plx. They are completely different than what my second-hand impressions of them led me to believe. Are they a band that have considerably changed their sound or was I just under the wrong impression as to what they are about?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #259 on: 12 Sep 2010, 22:21 »

Go with either Tortoise or Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Mein Tumblr

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #260 on: 21 Sep 2010, 13:03 »

Oh hey guys, gimme the lowdown on Tortoise. I saw them at ATP and they were maybe my favourite band of the whole weekend.
I started with TNT, and it's still my favourite of theirs, so I'd recommend that.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #261 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:49 »

Hey guys:

Boredoms?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #262 on: 15 Oct 2010, 13:36 »

I've been listening to What's Going On and Let's Get it On a lot lately. I want more soul + doo wop in my aural diet, where to go from here?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #263 on: 15 Oct 2010, 19:56 »

I've been listening to What's Going On and Let's Get it On a lot lately. I want more soul + doo wop in my aural diet, where to go from here?
Pretty much all the Motown/Stax output from around then. Being a bit less general, listen to Otis Redding. Best voice.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #264 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:29 »

Black Keys? My girlfriend has an album on her iPod, but I don't remember what the hell it's called.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #265 on: 19 Oct 2010, 16:23 »

Tom, get Night Beat and One Night Stand: Live at the Harlem Square Club by Sam Cooke. Probably the single most influential soul singer in the genre's history.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #266 on: 19 Oct 2010, 18:41 »

WELL MET INLANDER

I HAVE POWERS YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2010, 20:58 by Inlander »

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #267 on: 19 Oct 2010, 21:58 »

:psyduck:

Mein Tumblr

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #268 on: 06 Nov 2010, 09:20 »

Jay Reatard?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #269 on: 06 Nov 2010, 09:21 »

Get the Matador singles compilation, I believe it's in the Mediafire thread

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #270 on: 06 Nov 2010, 10:20 »

And don't skimp on his pre-solo stuff. Terror Visions was incredible.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

kwami42

• Obscure cultural reference
    • last.fm
« Reply #271 on: 04 Dec 2010, 18:49 »

Venetian Snares

Einstürzende Neubauten

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #272 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:46 »

Suicide?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #273 on: 16 Dec 2010, 08:57 »

Venetian Snares

I may or may not get shit for this but I say just snag a copy of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született and be done with it
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #274 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:00 »

Doll Doll Doll is pretty cool too.

Einstürzende Neubauten

Just get Kollaps and work your way forward until you start getting bored of them. (Not the most inspired answer but in this case it really does work.)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #275 on: 16 Dec 2010, 09:51 »

Suicide?

Oh, Oh, I got this one! Listen to Suicide. Then, listen to Suicide. There's two. That is all.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #276 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:18 »

Man spotify has a lot more options than just two albums, and only one of them is called Suicide, and Spotify claims it was released in 2004 (but I just had a look at the track listing and it seems to match up, so I'll listen to that).

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #277 on: 16 Dec 2010, 11:23 »

How weird! Yeah, the first came out in 1977 and the second in 1980. The first one starts with a song called "Ghost Rider."

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #278 on: 17 Dec 2010, 08:42 »

Venetian Snares
People generally say to start with Rossz, which is pretty melodic, which is good advice as long as you realize it's not a typical album (insofar as Venetian Snares even has a "typical" album)--it samples from a lot of jazz and modern classical. From there you might try Detrimentalist, which is a revival of '94-ish Drum n  Bass done startlingly well, or Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pompoms, which is closer to typical for them (i.e. really really fast breakcore).

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #279 on: 20 Dec 2010, 12:56 »

How weird! Yeah, the first came out in 1977 and the second in 1980. The first one starts with a song called "Ghost Rider."
There is another band called Suicide, they play death metal I think. They produced albums in the mid-naughties.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #280 on: 20 Dec 2010, 13:27 »

Oh right, it's a pretty simple name. I guess it was kind of elitist for me to assume he was talking about Alan Vega/Martin Rev Suicide, but I honestly have no idea how any band with the same name could be remotely as good or innovative.  But hey, maybe death metal Suicide is aight, who knows.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #281 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:48 »

You were talking about the right Suicide, Spotify was in the wrong. They have the self-titled album listed as 2004, which is faulty!

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #282 on: 24 Dec 2010, 20:39 »

From the 2010 music thread,

The Thermals
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #283 on: 24 Dec 2010, 22:14 »

Now We Can See is pretty much how I define The Thermals, but I've listened to The Body, The Blood, The Machine and Personal Life a lot more this year. I would start with Now We Can See, move onto to Body, and end with Personal Life. Personal Life is quite a bit slower and bassier than the other ones. Body is really aggressive and fast paced. Now We Can See is a pretty good middle ground I feel like?

I didn't really like Fuckin A

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #284 on: 25 Dec 2010, 09:04 »

The Thermals are a band who have really progressed visibly, more so than most other bands I can think of and I'd say that each album has a definition of its own. If you want to hear a bit of everything from them then The Body, The Blood, The Machine is where to start and heading either way from that the music either gets clearer (Now We Can See and Personal Life) or more fuzzy (More Parts Per Million and Fuckin' A).
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #285 on: 25 Dec 2010, 16:45 »

As the self proclaimed resident Thermals expert (seen em' 5 times, interviewed them once, favorite band etc. etc.) I would have to agree that starting with The Body the Blood, The Machine or Now We Can See is your best bet. These are the two "most Thermal-y" albums they have ever put out. Their first two albums are much more lo-fi and fast tempo punk songs, and the newest one, Personal Life is a whole new sound.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #286 on: 27 Dec 2010, 21:44 »

Where is a good place to start with Psychic TV?

Oh, also Current 93.  Both artists have intimidatingly large discographies
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2010, 13:10 by SWOON! at My Gravitas »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #287 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:06 »

Guys, where do I start with beardmetal, or however you guys describe it these days.

Like, what blogs, labels, websites would you recommend to follow or have a look at?

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #288 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:15 »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #289 on: 18 Jan 2011, 06:37 »

Yeah that post got me interested. Just wanted to know where to go from there.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #290 on: 18 Jan 2011, 08:07 »

You could try just listening to some gosh dang heavy metal like a normal person rather than what some poseur at a hip metal blog like Invisible Oranges or Metal Inquisition thinks, that would be a start.

:mrgreen:

The stuff that seems to be in with the type of people who don't actually like heavy metal these days is mostly post-black, the odd bit of DSBM and certain blog-approved black crust and Cascadian USBM bands (restricting my focus only to things that are actually heavy metal) so if you want to actually listen to some good stuff (riffing with increasing looseness on these themes) you should probably pick up:

Agalloch - The Mantle
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal: Aate Hymne Til Ulven I Manden (probably not just the best black metal album ever made, but that best black metal album it is possible to make)
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Panopticon - Collapse
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
The Meads of Asphodel - Mill Hill Sessions
Iskra - Iskra
Wyrd - Huldrafolk
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Caïna - Temporary Antennae (or Caïna EP)
Sui Caedare - Thrène
Lifelover - Pulver
Black Kronstadt - The Free Spirit
Darkspace - Darkspace III
Dishammer - Vintage Addiction
A Forest of Stars - The Corpse of Rebirth
Aborym - Kali Yuga Bizarre
Monarque - Ad Nauseam
Horna - Viha Ja Viikate
Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Lake of Blood - Heed the Primal Calling
Carpathian Forest - Bloodlust and Perversion
Tulus - Pure Black Energy
Menace Ruine - The Die is Cast
Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal
A Cloud Forest - Through the Eyes of the Ambivalent

In that order. You will then be in the enviable position of knowing something about metal that you didn't read in a Southern Lord press release or Brooklynvegan. Don't read blogs unless they're in German and all the graphics are stills from The Witchfinder General. Only website you need is Encyclopedia Metallum. If you want to follow a label, fall through a timewarp to the early 90's and follow Black Mark and Deathlike Silence Productions. NO MOSH! NO CORE! NO TRENDS! NO FUN!

Also,

Current 93 - All the Pretty Little Horses or Cats Drunk on Copper live album (in the wink wink thread)

Psychic TV - A Pagan Day or Towards Thee Infinite Beat (or just listen to TG and Coil instead because PTV is just a little bit of a let down)

Enjoy!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Zingoleb

« Reply #291 on: 18 Jan 2011, 10:47 »

Guys, Jackson Browne.

I've been really meaning to listen to Jackson Browne.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #292 on: 19 Jan 2011, 15:22 »

There's a lot of good recommendations in Khar's post but I'd just like to add that following everything he says to a tee places you in grave danger of becoming an insufferable self-serious cock about metal, and having one of those around here is enough thank you.

(also if you really must listen to Burzum get Filosofem and be done with that guy forever after)
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2011, 15:44 by David_Dovey »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #293 on: 19 Jan 2011, 15:27 »

Basically I've listened to The Mantle like three times in a row. It's pretty awesome. Thanks Khar!

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #294 on: 19 Jan 2011, 15:29 »

But Dovey, what about Ea? You know, the lord of the depths? He always needs new victims. Poor Ea.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #295 on: 21 Jan 2011, 02:14 »

There's a lot of good recommendations in Khar's post but I'd just like to add that following everything he says to a tee places you in grave danger of becoming an insufferable self-serious cock about metal, and having one of those around here is enough thank you.

Sorry, you like Converge so you're not allowed to talk about metal with the big boys, kthxbai.  :-D
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #296 on: 21 Jan 2011, 02:21 »

Wait, I thought Converge were a metalcore band?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #297 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:00 »

exactly

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #298 on: 21 Jan 2011, 17:05 »

Venetian Snares
His most recent album My So-Called Life is sort of a best-of even if it doesn't include anything from his previous albums. It just kind of incorporates every style he's ever tried on.

Beyond that, Rossz and Detrimentalist are his most accessible albums. Go backwards from there.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #299 on: 21 Feb 2011, 18:58 »

Where should I start with The Brian Jonestown Massacre?

Mein Tumblr
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up