THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 17:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Biggest change with Dora moving in with Faye and Marten?

Mieville vs. Pintsize - 'nuff said.
- 31 (39.7%)
Dora and Faye start sharing undies
- 5 (6.4%)
Marten and Dora start sharing undies (!)
- 16 (20.5%)
Hanners freaks out over Mieville
- 4 (5.1%)
Hanners freaks out over the "Sex Pony"
- 10 (12.8%)
Steve and Cosette rent Dora's old place
- 12 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT: Jan 18-22, 2010  (Read 56140 times)

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
Re: WCT: Jan 18-22, 2010
« Reply #150 on: 22 Jan 2010, 23:24 »

Hmm, Pintsize freaks Hannelore, Mieville freaks Pintsize, and Hannelore freaks Mieville....we have achieved balance.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #151 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:51 »

Likely involving hairballs

As well as cooling vents.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #152 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:49 »

That's not quite true.  You CAN find a cat that doesn't want to be found, you just pay heavily for it in torn flesh (usually due to clawed appendages darting out from under whatever you've tracked them to).
There are those to whom cats know not to do this. I knew one saintly (so far as I was aware, anyway) little old lady who had several beasts in the house and a sizable pride outside, and she could grab any of them from anywhere by the scruff of its neck, and out it would come. Never a scratch, never a bite, nothing more than a yowl of protest. Of course, perhaps she did something at a time when no one was looking to cause this passivity—I've no idea.

For the rest of us, there's extra-thick oven mitts.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #153 on: 23 Jan 2010, 12:19 »

No, you have it, Raoullefere.  It's the scruff of the neck.  So long as you're consistant with it, and restrict your handling to that area, the cat tends to go limp.  It takes a little practice, but it's how mother cats carry them as kittens, and there's some biological/nervous system thing that tells them they're being handled for their own good.  Even my 16 pound "panther" goes with it, and their claws even withdraw some! 

It's how I get mine off of anything they shouldn't be on. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #154 on: 23 Jan 2010, 14:55 »

Hmm, Pintsize freaks Hannelore, Mieville freaks Pintsize, and Hannelore freaks Mieville....we have achieved balance.

Or at least an infinite loop...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #155 on: 23 Jan 2010, 16:43 »

No, you have it, Raoullefere.  It's the scruff of the neck.  So long as you're consistant with it, and restrict your handling to that area, the cat tends to go limp.  It takes a little practice, but it's how mother cats carry them as kittens, and there's some biological/nervous system thing that tells them they're being handled for their own good.  Even my 16 pound "panther" goes with it, and their claws even withdraw some! 

Ahh, their one weakness.

That and a small thermal exhaust port right below the min port, or was that something else?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #156 on: 23 Jan 2010, 16:47 »

Ahh, their one weakness.

That and a small thermal exhaust port right below the min port, or was that something else?

Spaceballs

........ Oh wait, that was something else.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #157 on: 23 Jan 2010, 17:34 »

I wouldn't get anywhere near that thermal port, if I were you! 

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #158 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:43 »

Mmmmh, in such a case, a good shout usually does the work. Clapping hands too. Teaches the cat not to get back there again, in the long run.
I only use the scruff trick when the cat is not in a place I disapprove in general but is inconvenient for me at the moment (typically, my lap, when I have to get up), in such a case it's important to use the gentlest method of relocation, especially with a kitten.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #159 on: 24 Jan 2010, 10:42 »

I misspoke earlier, you're right, the scruff is not effective for keeping them off things. 

But cats tend to just look at you curiously if you just shout at them.  At least, mine do.  There needs to be a threat of harm to associate the shout with.  I find a squirtgun is effective, since you don't have to be right on top of the cat.  If your aim is good, anything light at hand will do (pens or pencils are always nearby for me).  A shout and quick attack are very effective training tools.  Then the shouts work fine! 

You can tell it's Sunday when we get this far off the WCT topic. 

KITTY!  Kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty KITTY!!!! 

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #160 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:36 »

Jeph could avoid these divergences by having the comic go seven days a week....

(Just Kidding...)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #161 on: 24 Jan 2010, 14:42 »

Mmmmh, in such a case, a good shout usually does the work. Clapping hands too. Teaches the cat not to get back there again, in the long run.
I only use the scruff trick when the cat is not in a place I disapprove in general but is inconvenient for me at the moment (typically, my lap, when I have to get up), in such a case it's important to use the gentlest method of relocation, especially with a kitten.

It is? My own cat very much dislikes the scruff trick, in so far that he'll lie flat on the ground before you can lift him up, so I always lift him under the shoulders or carry him by the back. If he wants to be let go he'll push and struggle, sometimes very violently, but there are never any claws or teeth involved. Those are always reserved for other cats.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #162 on: 24 Jan 2010, 18:51 »

Mojo, your avatar is total win.

I felt it needed to be said.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #163 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:02 »

Have a friend who keeps a pride of cats and rules them with a squirt-gun—apparently it's quite a successful tactic. (And if you're reading this, MK, see, I do pay attention).

The Offtopic of sSunday is nothing compared to that of Monday: Kitties, Lox, 1-hour Martinizing!
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #164 on: 25 Jan 2010, 08:08 »

Today's comic was a bit sad... I don't remember that Hannes talked about her feelings that way before.

She also looks cute in the first and fourth panel :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up