THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 887629 times)

Zingoleb

Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #150 on: 01 Feb 2010, 16:23 »

Hi.

To make it quick because I only have 25 minutes left and I still have to go running wildly through mediaf!re before I go:

I lost the internet.
I gained the flue.
I lost 10 pounds because of it.
I gained a few dozen books.
I lost my dog.
I lost the game.
I gained freedom! (Translation: Finally had a real falling out with my ex which turned out to be pretty therapeutic, in which she called me all sorts of nasty things, says I abandoned her (when she left me), and concluded with her calling me a pedophile and hanging up. Not sure where that came from.)

And my electricity is going to be disconnected on Friday.

So, uh, in the loss of internet I've been calling Patrick and being whiny at him. Sorry, dude.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #151 on: 01 Feb 2010, 18:10 »

I'm heading into my nineteenth hour of today and still have about another one to go. Then I have to get up six hours later to start another 18 hour day.

Today's dress didn't go well - the set is hugely cumbersome and there are twenty-two scene changes. It just isn't workable, so I'm going in as soon as possible tomorrow morning to rework it and try to make it easier to manage. It's in seven pieces and all of them are about eight feet tall. It just ruins the entire play to have two-minute scene changes and makes it almost an hour too long.

Why am I even on the forums when I have so little time to sleep? I guess I'm too wired.

There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #152 on: 01 Feb 2010, 18:26 »

argh
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #153 on: 01 Feb 2010, 18:27 »

Going out on a limb and saying that Lunchy just moved her cat over to your place and it sat on your lap and then stuck it's tail in your face? It used to do this to me.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #154 on: 01 Feb 2010, 18:48 »

I am picturing Jimmy with a teeny kitty sitting on his lap and it is a very adorable/humorous image.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #155 on: 01 Feb 2010, 18:57 »

Dear Blog Thread,

Today I began my final semester in high school. My last semester is set up in a way that is very relaxed for me, my only courses being German, English, and Drama. My German class has been absolutely brilliant for the last few years, being taught by one of my favourite teachers I have ever had the pleasure of being taught by. Drama is the usual deal of course. However within the first ten minutes of my English class I knew I will not last the semester. I have a teacher I have never heard of, which is not a bad thing, who is forcing us to cut up all of the assignments and worksheets and notes she gives us and glue them into a coil ring notebook. She actually told us that we would need about 6 gluesticks for the entire course. However, I can deal with that. My main issue is that she believes the class to be idiots. For the next week we will spend each class learning about punctuation. I know, a very difficult subject to comprehend, if only we had the experience of a previous 12 years to deal with punctuation. She is also not very well spoken. She used the term pejorative about 5 times during her lecture, but pronounced it as both perjorative and prejorative. Of course she also used pejorative the wrong way, all 5 or so times. I'm not asking for a perfect teacher, but so far she is far below decent. A teacher who doesn't use the phrase "what if is" in the sentence "What if is I go on a vacation?". A teacher who doesn't make us go around the room in order to read verbatim the frequently asked questions handout she gave us. A teacher who hasn't told his directly that she will not accept an essay if it is not written in the first person. I just want someone who can do their job well.

Sincerely,

Me, I suppose.

tldr; If I was told my new English teacher wasn't actually a teacher but an elaborate joke played on me, I would not be surprised.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #156 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:10 »

-Nice things-
Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Oh hey, and my birthday is in two weeks, that's probably something to look forward to. A couple of my friends and I are going to hang out and that should be lots of fun.

Oh, and I have a LARP tomorrow that's been pretty shaky lately due to a new ST coming in, so whoot to that.
Yes, I LARP. Don't judge meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2010, 19:18 by Vendetagainst »
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

allison

« Reply #157 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:14 »

My birthday is in 2 weeks too! Happy birthday!

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #158 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:18 »

Happy Birthday!
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #159 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:30 »

she will not accept an essay if it is not written in the first person

but... but... essays aren't supposed to be written in first person. You're supposed to avoid referring to yourself in the essay as much as possible, unless the question distinctly asks for your opinion, and even then it should be used sparingly, maybe just in the intro and conclusion. What the hell, English Teacher?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #160 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:34 »

It depends on the nature of the essay. In a literary or philosophical essay I think it's perfectly acceptable to write in the first person, because often in those particular styles of essay you're drawing general conclusions from your own personal and specific experience.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #161 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:46 »

No more than you would in a history, geography or even psychology essay though. I do think people get a bit too hung up on the whole first person thing, particularly since a lot of academics just chuck that rule out the window after their undergraduate years. Requiring high school students to do it seems like a really bad idea though, since most undergraduate courses will at least frown on it.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

I Am Not Amused

• http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #162 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:53 »

So I work at Pitchfork now?

(Yes THAT Pitchfork)
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #163 on: 01 Feb 2010, 19:56 »

Taking the system out from the inside? I like that.

(But seriously, how?)
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

I Am Not Amused

• http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #164 on: 01 Feb 2010, 20:32 »

I interned there over the summer. They liked me and the work I did. They have brought me on as an employee. It is really really cool, even if it is only part-time right now.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #165 on: 01 Feb 2010, 21:49 »

Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #166 on: 01 Feb 2010, 22:39 »

I would venture a guess that between 60 and 90% of critical work published in the field of English today (in literature, pedagogy, and composition) is in the first person.  That is, Stephen Greenblatt, Harold Bloom, Adrienne Rich, etc. etc., all pretty consistently write in the first person.  It's a part of establishing ethos, a part of distinguishing yourself in the field, a part of setting your voice apart from those that came before, a part of intelligently and consciously engaging in a critical conversation about writing.  Rarely anymore in English does a writer pretend he or she is not the voice behind a piece, or that the claims he or she makes are fact.  Even coauthored works are frequently self-conscious: "we believe," etc.

However, those are purely the conventions of my discipline, and any English teacher who doesn't inform you that the first person is only appropriate in particular contexts (and frequently is inappropriate in academic contexts outside of English) isn't worth her salt.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #167 on: 01 Feb 2010, 22:49 »

Hannah we are so on the level
I wanted to get one of the hot water bottles that we have at work today and curl up around it but I don't really want to advertise to my office of 50 dudes that it is Shark Week

Also:
My kitty does not yet reside at Nick's, instead she is going to live at my boyfriend's house whilst my apartment is being shown to people.
I am taking it as a measure of how much his parents like me that they are willing to keep a cat at their house. My boy's dad is an active feral cat trapper (He has a slogan that goes 'If it's Feral, it's in Peril' which is pretty funny) and they actually have a cat trap in their backyard. (Yes it is a noble thing and hurrah I love wildlife too but I cannot stand to see kitties trapped even when I know it is for the good of other smaller furrier native things.)
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2010, 23:52 by Lunchbox »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #168 on: 01 Feb 2010, 23:43 »

So, uh, in the loss of internet I've been calling Patrick and being whiny at him. Sorry, dude.

Dogg Idunno how many times I gotta tell you, it's totally fine. How is the situation with the arrangement you've got to move out of your current place and position yourself for a better lease on life? I was hoping that the next time you posted I'd see something about you finding your dog.

Dear blag,

I learned to drive stick today. It was in Logan's '88 BMW M5. Holy fucking shit, that car is fucking fast. I got it from 0 to 80 in like 8 seconds and it was only that slow 'cause I am a fucking n00b at shifting.

Also it was my stepbrother's birthday today, and we all went out to Japanese. Sashimi is the Best Thing.

Love,
Me!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

DarkAvenger

« Reply #169 on: 01 Feb 2010, 23:50 »

The NSW Board of Studies tries to get people to give personal essay responses in English.

The way we write our Diploma essays is that during that written portion of the exam we write a personal response essay and a critical/analytical essay over the course of the three hours or so. Traditionally the personal response was taught to be written in the first person and the critical/analytical in third person. The main issue is that my teacher is telling us that all essays, critical/analytical or not, must be written in first person.

EDIT: Mixed up my words.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2010, 23:55 by DarkAvenger »

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #170 on: 02 Feb 2010, 00:32 »

I am eighteen? fuck that

In other news, what has been bringing me down for the past two years and essentially my whole high school career seems to be... I don't know where I was going, but basically it is time that I start living my life for myself for the first time in so long. Let's see what I can do.
it's time to stop posting

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #171 on: 02 Feb 2010, 00:51 »

My post, where is it gone? Sorry DA but I went to edit it to say that they tried to get us to write English essays as if they were personal responses. Clearly after editing it disappeared into the luminiferous aether. It's probably been carried off into some unseeable crevice.

Dear Thread, were I to ever to meet Terry Pratchett in public I'd collapse into a sobbing heap. When I try to understand that one of my heroes (this is perhaps to light a word for a man whose words provided me with much needed sanctuary) is dying in such a way that would make the Spectre chuckle it breaks me up inside.

Also, I find the word "gastrolith" to be hilarious.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2010, 01:00 by Tom »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #172 on: 02 Feb 2010, 00:57 »

Last night, Sir Terry Pratchett gave (with assistance) a marvellous talk entitled "Shaking hands with Death".  I have put links to it here in the discussion forum.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #173 on: 02 Feb 2010, 01:04 »

Yeah, just read the edited version, thanks for posting that Paul. Terry Pratchett has been one of my favourite authors since I was about 10, so I find the whole Alzheimers thing rather sad, particularly given it's happening to one of the finest minds we have. Might post something in that thread later though when I can string some more coherent thoughts together.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #174 on: 02 Feb 2010, 03:35 »

This morning in the newspaper, in the arts & entertainment section, there was an opinion piece by a girl I used to know, and whom I at one point asked out (she turned me down). I hadn't seen her nor heard anything about her in nearly five years; when I knew her she was on the dole and doing piecemeal work in a nursing home and in a bookshop; apparently now she's "a rock critic based in New York". It was a strange sensation; one never entirely gets over old crushes, no matter how much one has moved on otherwise. I'm pleased she's doing well for herself.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #175 on: 02 Feb 2010, 03:51 »

her calling me a pedophile and hanging up. Not sure where that came from.

do you like women with small breasts
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #176 on: 02 Feb 2010, 05:00 »

:/

we are synced up, it is weird.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2010, 06:55 by Gemmwah »
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #177 on: 02 Feb 2010, 07:20 »

auugh so sick of blistering cold and looking like leatherface every single day
i will be so happy when winter is finally over
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #178 on: 02 Feb 2010, 07:26 »

Depends how things go with Punxsutawney Phil today.

allison

« Reply #179 on: 02 Feb 2010, 07:32 »

Thanks, America, but we'll stick with Wiarton Willie.

syrupykeyboard

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • These dynamite walls contain us.
« Reply #180 on: 02 Feb 2010, 09:37 »

I was not aware that Terry Pratchett was in such dire circumstances.
That sucks. :/
"And I don't know where I'm going yet, but it's somewhere quite a ways from here I'll bet..."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #181 on: 02 Feb 2010, 13:48 »

Depends how things go with Punxsutawney Phil today.

Man screw Punxsutawney Phil if he pusses out and goes back in his hole.

Dear blig thord,

Gnuhhhhhh I am annoyed at Home Depot, they decided they would call me back Friday and be like 'SUP WE ARE HAVING INTERVIEWS TODAY' except I wasn't fucking home because I was leaving resumes and filling out applications elsewhere. I've called back a couple of times at the number they gave me, and haven't heard a fucking thing. Bastards probably already filled the position because they found somebody who was willing to put the entire world on hold.

I fucking told my dad I should just leave my cell number as my 'primary phone' since it is FUCKING ALWAYS ON ME GOD DAMN ITWEIORJVGFIORMGIOMEORIMVIO

-Me
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #182 on: 02 Feb 2010, 13:51 »

apparently now she's "a rock critic based in New York".

It's a shame to see people's lives collapse like this. Very sad.

Damn you.

I was going to post something along the lines of "So, she's still on the dole then?"

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #183 on: 02 Feb 2010, 14:18 »

I fucking told my dad I should just leave my cell number as my 'primary phone' since it is FUCKING ALWAYS ON ME GOD DAMN ITWEIORJVGFIORMGIOMEORIMVIO

I would second that idea, although I don't even have a landline so I guess I've conditioned myself to think of cell phones as primary phones.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #184 on: 02 Feb 2010, 14:19 »

-Me

I have been leaving my cell as my primary since I was 17. I mean, who even has landlines anymore? (Pirates, ninjas, your parents)

In blog news, I get to browse the forums and facebook on my phone for a week starting tomorrow.
My aunt and uncle are going on vacation, they take their laptop with them.
I have TV and my PSP with one game to amuse myself. My parents sent my miniatures out to me yesterday, they should be here in 5-9 days. Had they sent them 10-14 days ago when I asked I'd have something to do for the next week.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #185 on: 02 Feb 2010, 14:34 »

Dude you can do other things that are not computers or miniatures. Just puttin' it out there.
In fact I get way more done, am more relaxed and have a cleaner nicer house when I am forced to be without internet. Internet is a pretty dumb addiction to have but it's... oh I don't know. Awesome. I guess.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #186 on: 02 Feb 2010, 14:35 »

at least it's not meth
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #187 on: 02 Feb 2010, 14:43 »

Dude you can do other things that are not computers or miniatures. Just puttin' it out there.

I intend to wander around during the day and look for a job, but once it gets dark there's not much to do in a town where you don't know anyone, can't get into bars, and don't have a car.
I guess I can watch TV.

sean

• welp
« Reply #188 on: 02 Feb 2010, 14:53 »

it is snowing like a motherfucker again but its cool right now cause i have tea.

then im gonna play cello cause i have a recital for the music department in a week and im totally not ready for it yet.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Zingoleb

« Reply #189 on: 02 Feb 2010, 16:15 »

her calling me a pedophile and hanging up. Not sure where that came from.

do you like women with small breasts

She had fucking D cups

Which must have been hell on her back because she was like, 5'2"

Eh, fuck it. Trying to get my mind on other things now.

Blog thread,

Dog was sighted far away. Hope it is my Maggie! (Other names for her: Meladori Magpie; Saggy Maggie (when she is pregnant), and Maggity Ann)

Also, the local library has a ton of books on transgenderism. Well, not *this* library, but the library system does, and I can have them ordered in. Gives me something to do without internet!

I will break my internet addiction...seeing as I can't feed it.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #190 on: 02 Feb 2010, 19:46 »

Today's dress didn't go well - the set is hugely cumbersome and there are twenty-two scene changes. It just isn't workable, so I'm going in as soon as possible tomorrow morning to rework it and try to make it easier to manage. It's in seven pieces and all of them are about eight feet tall. It just ruins the entire play to have two-minute scene changes and makes it almost an hour too long.
At our school, we have an annual performance called Thirty Under Ninety in which we all collaborate on 30 different scenes and then perform in under ninety minutes. And there isn't a set order to when we perform each scene, it's random each night. Because of this, the same person isn't always doing the set changes.
And some idiots are so dumb at changing set. We had one girl take all of the stuff out there, put it center stage and then after bringing the last thing out, she then arranges it so it's in the right spot on stage.

But Saturday, when I saw Wicked, the set changes were all automatically done by pulleys and stuff. It was so impressive seeing things just roll on stage and be in the right spot immediately.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #191 on: 02 Feb 2010, 19:55 »

That's a pretty good example of the two extremes of set changing! Tonight we just dispensed with the set changes entirely (after I'd spent the entire day gluing felt to the bottom of each piece of scenery) and maybe tomorrow we will do something simple but to be honest it is three hours long already (and that doesn't include the interval) so maybe not.

Guys! I'm now nineteen! Technically. I wasn't making a thing of it - I hadn't even told more than a handful of people and then only because it came up in conversation, but someone in the cast found out while we were in the pub having a post-fantastic-opening-night drink which turned into a massive boozeup, and they all sang happy birthday and a random guy bought me a triple shot which I didn't drink because I don't, and then I got home at about 3.30am to find that my friends have decorated my door and left me a present and card and a little limerick :D And my dad and his girlfriend have sent me a hyacinth bulb which is labelled "Delft Blue", except they've crossed out Delft and written Cambridge because blue is a Cambridge colour. And basically I'm feeling really chuffed because I had been avoiding making a fuss because frankly I didn't think anyone would be that bothered, and I'm so happy that they have been so nice :)

Now I am going to bed, it is four am and I have a lecture in five hours.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #192 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:05 »

Happy birthday!!

Just had my house inspection! It was fine and the lady (who is not the property manager I signed the lease with) was really cool. She seemed to buy the thing about the heat and the wind being responsible for the breaking of the window as it is windy as fuck today. Now tonight I get to bring our animals home from my brother's place. What fun.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #193 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:12 »

Happy Birthday May!
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #194 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:16 »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #195 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:17 »

I learned just today that my barber shop will be closed on Saint Patrick's Day.  I mean, Éireann go Brách.

Although it is really because they are next to a local Irish pub, and it gets pretty drunken on that day.  

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #197 on: 02 Feb 2010, 21:13 »

WHAT why is may only a year older than me WHAT
it's time to stop posting

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #198 on: 02 Feb 2010, 21:15 »

this afternoon while restocking shelves at work, i caught my foot and fell off the ladder i was standing on. for the most part i was not seriously injured but i did catch my hands and wrists on the top step and cut them up pretty nasty.
i ran to the other side of the store in search of band-aids with blood running down my arms and proceeded to tape up the scrapes as best i could. the last six hours of my shift were spent with very noticeable bandages wrapped around my wrists. needless to say this looks really bad.
hello customers hello coworkers i am not suicidal stop looking at me like that... please. i'm really just that clumsy and ridiculous a human being.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #199 on: 02 Feb 2010, 21:29 »

tania: not suicidal, just that stupid.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 81   Go Up