THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 888042 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #450 on: 11 Feb 2010, 20:24 »

Patrick! Jesus, man. I don't even know what to say to you anymore. You don't listen.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #451 on: 11 Feb 2010, 20:50 »

I know Emaline I know but I wasn't the one who brought the subject up, and I wasn't the one who kissed me, and I wasn't the one who invited a dumb boy who likes me to spend the night at my apartment okay?

Also James everything does end poorly for me because I am dumb and do stupid shit (such as not saying "no thank you it is tempting and very much what I would like but it is a bad idea").

Tania we will totally use the customer one I promise
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #452 on: 11 Feb 2010, 21:05 »

T minus 2 months before whiny "I don't know what to do about my gf/coworker because she caught me sexing customers fml" post in relationship thread.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #453 on: 11 Feb 2010, 21:08 »

Guys,

Don't keep a broken glass with jagged edges and filled with bits of shattered glass next to your cold glass of water. I've nearly glassed myself in the face like, 8 times at this point.

Cheers,
Jimmy the Squid.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #454 on: 11 Feb 2010, 21:10 »

Newz U Can Uze
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #455 on: 11 Feb 2010, 21:14 »

Guys, tomorrow I work and that's ok I guess but after is D&D and during that me and one of my friends are going to make awesomely awful v-day cards for this un-valentine's day party we're going to Saturday. And I get a 3-day weekend! And my taxes are all done! (I'm actually getting money back from federal for the first time ever!) And I'm gonna get me a laptop this weekend!

Also today we got a new display for paints and the box it came in is HUGE, so my coworker decided he wanted to hide in it and prank one of the managers by just making weird noises and I told him instead he should cut a hole out of the bottom and move around any time they make a noise, which is what he's gonna do tomorrow. I kind of want to steal it though and ride up and down in the elevator in our building and scare the shit out of the students that go to the school that takes up the rest of our building. I would totally do it if that school didn't suck and actually had a sense of humor, but they don't like us very much as is because of said lack of humor. Oh well! Maybe we'll do it to the framer when he comes back next week. Tee hee.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nobo

« Reply #456 on: 11 Feb 2010, 21:36 »

box in elevator = perceived bomb threat = terrorism charges against Linds = pretty bad weekend

However, if you do end up in jail over this, I will totally come post bail for you cause I think its pretty clever.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #457 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:04 »

Guys,

Don't keep a broken glass with jagged edges and filled with bits of shattered glass next to your cold glass of water. I've nearly glassed myself in the face like, 8 times at this point.

Cheers,
Jimmy the Squid.

You how no idea how much I laughed at this.

No idea.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #458 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:11 »

Jimmy the Squid: Informative and Entertaining!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #459 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:19 »

I know Emaline I know but I wasn't the one who brought the subject up, and I wasn't the one who kissed me, and I wasn't the one who invited a dumb boy who likes me to spend the night at my apartment okay?

That is where you stop her from kissing you and say "No" when she invites you to her place.

It is really fucking simple when you think about it. I swear, this is going to end bad and we all told you no to do something stupid like that, so just be aware that if you start complaining about your relationship issues you may not get very much sympathy.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #460 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:25 »

and by "may not get very much sympathy" she means "may get actively mocked."

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #461 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:29 »

so no real difference then?
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #462 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:47 »

Boys, and girls, keep it in your pants, and your hormones checked.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #463 on: 11 Feb 2010, 22:56 »

That's boring advice.

Fuck everything that moves!*

*Making sure you have consent first.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #464 on: 11 Feb 2010, 23:04 »

Man, you're so predjudiced against inanimate objects. Things that don't move need lovin' too, you know.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #465 on: 11 Feb 2010, 23:13 »

If someone bones a taxidermy animal, is it still beastiality? I mean, it's an inanimate object, and basically a statue, so wouldn't it be more of agalmatophilia?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #466 on: 11 Feb 2010, 23:18 »

I'll tell you what it is.

Hot.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #467 on: 11 Feb 2010, 23:41 »

Blog:

I'm sitting here filling out job applications, and my employment history screams "our economy sucks!" One place I can't give a phone number to because it was a locally owned place and recently had to close, and my reasons for leaving my last job is "Laid off due to company downsizing". Its pretty sad.

Also, would it kill a place to email me back and say "Sorry we aren't hiring right now/Aren't interested"? I mean, it doesn't seem very professional to me to not send something like that.

ETA: One of the applications has this question:

Check one of the following race/ethnic group(s):
American Indian/Alaskan Native
Asian
Black or African American
Hispanic or Latino
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
Two or more of the above races
White/Caucasian

WTF. Its a voluntary question, but nonetheless, it's a crappy question. Especially since I identify as white and also Hawaiian. White/Caucasian it defines as "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East. And Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander is defines as "A person having origins in any of th original peoples of Hawaii, Guan, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands." My grandmother is Hawaiian, and I identify as both white/caucasian and "Native Hawaiian", so why can't I chose those two? Why are they mutually exclusive? This is bullshit.

I really want to mark both, and then draw an arrow to the question and write "This offends me." But I also need to be good and get a job.

But seriously these last two applications are complete bullshit. Why am I even applying to stores who won't even acknowledge me when I walk in?
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2010, 23:58 by Emaline »

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #468 on: 12 Feb 2010, 00:25 »

That question has been in every single application I have ever filled out. This is seriously the first time you've ran into that?

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #469 on: 12 Feb 2010, 00:32 »

It's the first time in a long time I've ran into it. And it's never been phrased in a way where I cannot mark what two races I am.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #470 on: 12 Feb 2010, 00:40 »

but there is "two or more"?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #471 on: 12 Feb 2010, 00:50 »

Um if it's any consolation it's probably more likely that those questions exist for affirmative action reasons, as opposed to "we ain't gonna employ you, minority!"

ITT I state the obvious, probably?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #472 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:17 »

If it makes you feel any better, I only get to check one box, and it's kinda dull because I am white, and that has the most dull description out of any of them. I basically appear on that form as "White (any people who are not tan or darker)."
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #473 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:02 »

Affirmative Action stuff and needing a job

So... are you aware that there are companies that rather than being equal opportunity employers are minority preference employers?  This means that they can deny a qualified white (or whatever) applicant in favor of a less qualified applicant of their particular minority.   Hawaiian is one of those minorities.     If I remember correctly, you're near St. Louis right?  Scott AFB is there which is TRANSCOM and a goo-gob of other stuff.   I'm sure there are Hawaiian native companies working there who are probably falling over themselves looking for Polynesian hires in the midwest.      Might be a place to start?

Edit: On a whim I checked out the Native Hawaiian company I'm most familiar with and they are equal opportunity employers (though they do have a position open at Scott).   It looks from about 2 minutes of reading that the Hawaiian 8(a) companies have slightly different rules than the tribally owned and Alaskan Native 8(a) firms.   Still worth checking out though, IMO.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 05:42 by A Wet Helmet »

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #474 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:51 »

Guys, I got 13 hours of sleep last night and still woke up early!

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #475 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:03 »

I kind of thought asking after your race, even optionally, was illegal? Do they ask for a headshot too?

T minus 2 months before whiny "I don't know what to do about my gf/coworker because she caught me sexing customers fml" post in relationship thread.

$5 says he makes it three months and she quits over it.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 06:05 by Slick »

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #476 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:29 »

It's not illegal to ask about it because the data is used for affirmative action purposes.  For equal opportunity employers (99.9999% of U.S. business,) it is illegal to make hiring decisions based on it, but they sure want to be able to report that statistically "We employ minorities at or above the levels represented in the general population." 

My company asks as part of the new hire packet, which actually makes more sense to me.  You've already got the job, you're just in-processing.  At that point there can't be any accusation of "You didn't call me for an interview because I'm a gay jewish apache/mongolian/zulu double amputee." 

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #477 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:51 »

re: patrick & his new coworker girl

if she is so great that she's worth pursuing a relationship with, why not just look for another job?  i mean, take this one as a safety net in the meantime of course.  but also just look for work somewhere else!  i know the economy sucks but this can't be the only decent available job in your whole town!  it's just a coffee shop it's not like NASA hired you or something.

if she's not so great, and you prefer the new job... then what are you doing this is obviously going to end badly when you have to work everyday with the not-great girl whose heart you've broken (or who has broken your heart)

ps let me tell you a little story:
 once upon a time there was a shy girl who liked a cute coworker boy.  she wanted him a lot, but she knew she would rather be friends and keep him in her life than have everything ruined forever.  however, after months of pining she confessed her love and he confessed his back.  they both kissed and talked about happy things like how relationships are awesome.  the shy girl was very happy because she would never pursue a coworker unless she really really meant it and he must be smart enough to not tell lies to a girl he would see every day right?
but no he was not smart enough, and yes he had lied about everything.  and the girl could not quit her job because it was an awesome job and she needed the money and besides all her other coworkers were bestest friends.  so she spent the next six months filled with heartbreak and anxiety every time he was around.  which was a lot.  and i guess now they are just never even going to be friends! must suck to be that dumb girl huh?

the end!
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 06:55 by iamiam »
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #478 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:52 »

but there is "two or more"?

Re-read the post. It's two or more of the above, and does not include being white.

Guys, I'm more pissed off on the fact that you cannot chose white and something else then anything else.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #479 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:56 »

every job and school application i have ever filled out (and i have filled out a lot!) has only broached the issue of ethnicity if it  pertains to you being native american, and even then there is always a massive "THIS IS TOTALLY VOLUNTARY LEAVE IT BLANK IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE" disclaimer next to it. it's also for affirmative action purposes, but they are consistently really, really careful about specifying that it is completely 100% voluntary and you do not need to fill out that part of the form at all if you don't want to.

job applications in america seem kind of fucked up to me, sorry.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

iamiam

« Reply #480 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:59 »

i'm pretty sure job applications in america are just different because we have the whole affirmative action thing going on.  you know, because of our whole history of hating on black people etc.

i hate that question because i don't even believe in race.  but i just bubble in the 'i prefer not to answer this question' option!  no one has hunted me down for it yet so whatever.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #481 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:04 »

All I'm saying is that is frustrating that people like my cousin, who is mixed(w/ black and white) could not properly fill out his race. He's not black, and he's not white, he is both. Also, apparently, if you are from the middle east, you have to put white. The "more than 2 of the above" answer should be at the end.

iamiam

« Reply #482 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:14 »

yeah... which is why the concept of 'race' is complete bullshit and a totally outdated concept.  unfortunately, people classifying eachother by 'color' is not going to die out anytime soon.  and in the meantime, getting upset over a question whose sole purpose is to identify whether you qualify for affirmative action is sort of a waste of time.  your new employer probably does not give a shit whether you are black or white or turquoise beyond that!

iamiam

« Reply #483 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:14 »

okay so maybe they might mind a little if you're turquoise

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #484 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:19 »

i am super duper uncomfortable with the idea of filling out race on a job application form at all, to be completely honest  :|

in canada it is actually illegal for an employer to ask an applicant specific questions at all about race, colour, religion, affiliations, arrest record, national origin, disabilities, and marital/family status, including some others i am probably missing. you can ask questions about your ability to perform the job that may be related to any of the above, like "can you lift 50 pounds" but you can't outright ask "what disabilities do you have", for example. likewise, if an employer wants to ask "are you native american", they can only do so after being really, really clear that you don't have to answer that. very few employers have asked me even that, frankly. even when the option to opt out is given, the fact that race questions are so common on applications in the states in the first place really gives me the jibblies.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #485 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:23 »

I've never come across the race question, but I've seen the martial status a lot, and almost ALWAYS the "can you lift 50lbs" question, I always want to lie because those are always the jobs I want :c
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #486 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:40 »

50 pounds isn't that heavy if it's proportioned right. I've got no problem picking my my 80 pound siblings, but am afraid to lift 25 pound weights above my head.

I've had the marriage thing come up in interviews, but never on applications. I also get "Are you a smoker?" which I don't really see how that is relevant. And if I have kids.

In better news today, my boyfriend is doing a big presentation at work today. The whole Genome center is going to be there, and he is all nervous. But he will do well, and everyone loves him there so he's got nothing to worry about. I'm excited for him!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #487 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:50 »

I also get "Are you a smoker?" which I don't really see how that is relevant.

They don't want to hire someone who will need lots of health care.

(I am not sure whether or not this is a joke.)

Metope

« Reply #488 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:51 »

The smoker thing is relevant because here at least, you're not allowed to smoke inside. A lot of people have to go outside to take smoke breaks, which doesn't seem that significant really, but I remember there was a survey at some point and they calculated exactly how much this one company lost on having their employees take small breaks every day, and it was quite a lot. Don't ask me about the details, I don't remember.

Also I don't know if you're still allowed to smoke inside in America, but if you are the reason for the question is pretty self explanatory (secondhand smoking and such).
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Metope

« Reply #489 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:52 »

And smokers stink, ew.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #490 on: 12 Feb 2010, 07:56 »

It depends on where you are in America. In Missouri, we can smoke inside, but in Illinois, we cannot.

But if you don't want your employees to smoke during work, don't let them have smoke breaks? I don't see what the problem is. I smoke, but not a work. Not because I don't want to but I have higher priorities than smoking while at work.

Metope

« Reply #491 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:03 »

Then you're a good employee! I've known a few people who claim to not be able to function properly without a smoke (I have no idea to what extent this is true or not, I'm not a smoker), so the dilemma for them would be to have a smoke break and lose valuable work time, or not have a break and have a lower work performance. Eh, I have no idea, I'm just guessing here.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #492 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:17 »

I've spent almost all day working on a moot problem (not a problem that is unimportant, but a problem question for a moot next week) and it's pretty fun! I'm having far more fun doing this than I ever do for my supervisions. Pity it's only once a year that it's compulsory; I really don't have time to do mooting as a hobby.

Tonight we have a hockey game and face off is at 11.30, so I'm going to have to take a nap this afternoon or I'll not make it through the game. Napping is so awesome :D

With the smoking thing, here it is a legal requirement to provide a five minute smoking break every hour. Obviously that's a lot of non-working time out of the day so if it came down to two equally well qualified applicants, one of whom smoked, that would be a deciding factor.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #493 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:32 »

Ethnic background is a standard question in the UK, but is (in my experience) on a separate form so that it is not seen by the selectors.  It's asked at application, not on employment, because the idea is to verify fairness in the selection process rather than that the result matches the population (which could be skewed by who applied).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #494 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:51 »

Ema, Yeah. Those forms are voluntary. Most of them have an "Other" section, also. If it is anything other than checkboxes, though, you should just write it in if you want.

Jeans, you may want to talk to the school administrators about that.

Anyway,

Mardi Gras this weekend, eh? I live pretty much at the exact center of the party neighborhood. I am sort of nervous about it, because apparently there were more than 40,000 people in my neighborhood last year. They will be all up in my yard and junk. Ehhhhhhh

Metope

« Reply #495 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:58 »

Jens seriously, what the fuck?! I'm so sad he has a new teacher, up until last year he had my old teacher and she's excellent. Let's go punch the new bitch.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #496 on: 12 Feb 2010, 08:59 »

There was no other. I just marked Native Hawaiian, and White. Whatevs. If they don't hire me I don't really care because I don't really want to work at Yankee Candle anyway, plus the lady was a bit of a snot to me when I walked in. Sorry, I've got tattoos and piercings and extensive knowledge of your product because I used to love it, and my mom still does.

Also, regarding Mardi Gras, they will pee in your yard, and on your house, and car, and etc. I remember that being a huge problem last year. I think you are allowed to chase them off. My dad is going to be working security there, too, so if you see a pudgy man with a baseball cap and glasses, tell him to protect your yard.

I really want to go to Mardi Gras because I've never been and I've always been too young(apparently in St. Louis they are really really good at cracking down on underage drinking and boobage there.), but this year I have to wake up at 8am to go to the market with my boyfriend and his dad, and then cook for them. So yeah, no drinking and boobs for me. But then it's Valentines day, and that is going to be so super awesome!

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #497 on: 12 Feb 2010, 10:08 »

With the smoking thing, here it is a legal requirement to provide a five minute smoking break every hour. Obviously that's a lot of non-working time out of the day so if it came down to two equally well qualified applicants, one of whom smoked, that would be a deciding factor.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat

i have never had this.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
« Reply #498 on: 12 Feb 2010, 10:12 »

What the fuck am I supposed to do? Is there anything I can do?

Bake those motherfuckers some goddamn cupcakes.

Zingoleb

« Reply #499 on: 12 Feb 2010, 11:01 »

one of our dogs ran off and came back with another dog's head in its mouth. Hm.

Ok, seriously, WTF?

I don't know - I'm going on what my father says. He saw it, I just know the dogs usually get a deer leg to chew on. As for what people believe? Eh, whatever.

I've also realized that when bad things happened to me, good things happen to Patrick. Attempts at self-mutilation to make him orgasm have proved fruitless, though.

If someone bones a taxidermy animal, is it still beastiality? I mean, it's an inanimate object, and basically a statue, so wouldn't it be more of agalmatophilia?

Also, this is necrobestiality. Having talked to a self proclaimed 'roadkill fetishist'...actually the rest of this sentence is better left unfinished now that I think about it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 81   Go Up