THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 888175 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #800 on: 22 Feb 2010, 14:54 »

I don't know anything about jobs but I do know that my mouse is the cutest thing ever.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #801 on: 22 Feb 2010, 14:57 »

Also, as far as the benefits thing with mcdonalds. I think this other job has benefits too. And probably better ones. I'd also make more money than at mcdonalds and not have to deal with the clientelle of mcdonalds.

Dealing with them isn't so bad if your manager has a sense of humor

Oh god the horrible things we said behind people's backs, looking back that job was way radder than I ever gave it credit for
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #802 on: 22 Feb 2010, 17:01 »

Oh hey would you look at that, the Home Depot people finally called me back and we're (supposedly) on for tomorrow morning at 10. Unfortunately this means being awake before 3pm, ewww. Still, yay, I have a damn job, sorta!

I decided to apply at In-N-Out just 'cause starting wage is $10/hour and they're like right fucking next to Home Depot (like seriously it is a 30 second walk from entrance to entrance). Honestly I'd probably be better off there since the pay is better and they're probably more likely to have a quick enough turnover rate for me to actually get full-time employment and benefits from them. But they're probably one of the more popular choices of places to apply, considering their starting wage.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #803 on: 22 Feb 2010, 17:04 »

I just did my banking, transferring money over for rent and to my savings account and all that jazz, and I am back up to $800 in my savings account already. I sent $500 over to my mum a few weeks ago, and to celebrate I bought a nice expensive watch and some clothes, and I am still maybe 2/3 weeks away from sending more money over. This is nuts, it has taken me ages to get to this first payment. Maybe this will prove to my mum that I am not my brother and can actually manage my money and don't need her to keep asking if I need help.

On the rental property front, I am getting more worried about finding a place, and we are considering moving further and further away from newtown just so we can get a place that isn't tiny and expensive. Boooo.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #804 on: 22 Feb 2010, 17:41 »

In-N-Out

From what I have heard from the people who have worked at In-N-Out, it is terrible which is why the pay is so good. Of course, that's just hearsay.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #805 on: 22 Feb 2010, 18:09 »

Guys guys guys, I got a new laptop and it is super badass and his name is Schmendrick. I hearts him so.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #806 on: 22 Feb 2010, 19:23 »

Specs on laptop?
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #807 on: 22 Feb 2010, 19:25 »

MacBook that was upgraded to 4gb memory and 350gb harddrive. I had a PowerBook from 2004 that I'd been using and holy crap this thing is so much faster. I think the only think I'll miss is the 15in screen.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #808 on: 22 Feb 2010, 19:29 »

jace, just go to both interviews and if both places end up hiring you, call mcdonalds and tell them you changed your mind and don't want to work there anymore. i've been hired at the end of every interview i have been to as well, but usually it's informal and then they still call me back in a week or so to confirm when i'll be starting and stuff. even if they do hire you after the interview, they'll still need time to make a schedule and call you back and all that. they might be disappointed but honestly, what can they do when you say you don't want to work there anymore? the worst case scenario here is that you end up in mcdonald'd bad books and if you're working a much better job anyway, i think you'll find some way to live with that somehow.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

nobo

« Reply #809 on: 22 Feb 2010, 20:00 »

Sorry Linds, I had something more like this in mind:

I'll be more specific next time.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #810 on: 22 Feb 2010, 20:01 »

Har har.

nobo

« Reply #811 on: 22 Feb 2010, 20:08 »

:ashamed:

Dude is hardcore.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #812 on: 22 Feb 2010, 20:18 »

So, I put my blog in here last time and some people seemed to like it (thanks for the kind words!) so I thought I'd let everyone know that I put the latest update to it up today. Check it, I get kinda existential about Sonic the Hedgehog on this one: http://bit.ly/cZEVu9
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #813 on: 22 Feb 2010, 20:58 »

I applied for some university bookshops last night. Hopefully I get a call back for these because working at a uni bookshop would be awesome (close to home, good hours etc..). Looking for work sucks!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #814 on: 22 Feb 2010, 21:59 »

Yesterday was the longest day of my life. My grandma had a very, very severe heart attack at church. It took 13 minutes for the paramedics to arrive. She went into ICU at around 4pm and for the last 12 hours has been in a medically induced paralysis and heavily sedated. We are going to the hospital soon to see if she has brain function and if she is concious. She's a tough lady, but she can only take so much. I'm really scared.
Sorry to hear. Here's hoping she pulls through.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #815 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:04 »

So, blog thread, guess what! I just woke up puking my guts out! Yay! On top of that, I puked so hard, that I broke blood vessels in my face, and now have little dots all over it! Yay! Just in time for my interview tomorrow.

Should I cancel it or not? I mean, I guess I'm not feeling fantastic, and I'm also covered in little dots.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #816 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:10 »

Dawg, I was talking about the recipe site.

Why the crap do you need an invite for a recipe wiki

Seriously.

I really want someone to tell me
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #817 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:54 »

An hour later, and I cannot even kept down the water I drank. Seriously, wtf is wrong with me. I'm starting to get worried.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #818 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:56 »

That sounds awful. :( I would definitely cancel your interview. In your state, if you are anywhere but in bed or the bathroom, you're doing it wrong (imo).

(I would be the worst doctor ever)
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #819 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:59 »

if you are anywhere but in bed or the bathroom, you're doing it wrong

Oh Nick I bet you say that to all the girls

I was originally going to suggest that Emaline get herself to a doctor ASAP but then I remembered that America is fucked up and there is a good chance she doesn't have that choice of being able to see a doctor promptly. Oh well. I guess you can take comfort in the glory of the free-market while you heave yr guts up.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #820 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:05 »

well, I could go to the emergency room, but the best one is like an hours drive, and that seems too costly for something that might be better tomorrow morning. I don't know. I'm afraid to drink water. I am going to try to wait it out, but if I'm not better by morning, I guess I'm going to go to the ER.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #821 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:06 »

Is there an Urgent Care over there? They tend to be cheaper than doctors and you can still see them quickly. As for water, maybe try to suck on ice cubes? Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #822 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:19 »

jace, just go to both interviews and if both places end up hiring you, call mcdonalds and tell them you changed your mind and don't want to work there anymore. i've been hired at the end of every interview i have been to as well, but usually it's informal and then they still call me back in a week or so to confirm when i'll be starting and stuff. even if they do hire you after the interview, they'll still need time to make a schedule and call you back and all that. they might be disappointed but honestly, what can they do when you say you don't want to work there anymore? the worst case scenario here is that you end up in mcdonald'd bad books and if you're working a much better job anyway, i think you'll find some way to live with that somehow.

Yeah, so I got the McDonalds job (I was super confident that I would get this job, its fucking mcdonalds). Yesterday I got an email from this other place saying that this was a "first interview" so I am wondering how long their interview process takes. I told McD that I can't start until after Internet-Fun-Weekend-In-Rochester, so I've got until Tuesday to see if I have a better job.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #823 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:26 »

I adopted another cat! She was a stray but very friendly and sad looking! I took her to the vet! SHE IS HAVING BABIES ARGRJGGS WTF
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #824 on: 23 Feb 2010, 07:45 »

Is there an Urgent Care over there? They tend to be cheaper than doctors and you can still see them quickly. As for water, maybe try to suck on ice cubes? Whatever it is, I hope you feel better soon!

There are, but they have weird hours. I may end up going there today though.

The puking hasn't stopped and basically, everything sucks. I want to be able to drink water :( I might try the ice cube idea, but I don't know if it will help, since I can't even have two sips of water.

Also, Hot Topic isn't answering their phone, and I don't know what to tell them, and grr.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #825 on: 23 Feb 2010, 08:39 »

what do I do

It's not exaggerating to call Kant the most significant moral philosopher in history.  To him we owe two of the bedrock principles of humanism, the "Golden Rule" (treat others as you would be treated or according to universal rules) and the principle that an individual capable of self-determination should never be used as a means to an end.  On the other hand, his writing is borderline impenetrable.  I can't make an intelligent suggestion given that I don't know whether you are reading translations of his individual writings, the length of the presentation or the quantity of materials.   Nevertheless, you may want to consider reviewing some secondary sources and presenting the parts that are perceived as most influential and some kind of logical order.  Even if you are upfront that you were unable to review all of the material you were assigned, you may be forgiven as long as you fill your time and give a decent presentation.

What I'm trying to see is Kant rocks.  Lucky you!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #826 on: 23 Feb 2010, 08:43 »

MacBook that was upgraded to 4gb memory and 350gb harddrive.

Linds, I think you got Reginald MacBookington II's twin brother.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog
« Reply #827 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:15 »

I adopted another cat! She was a stray but very friendly and sad looking! I took her to the vet! SHE IS HAVING BABIES ARGRJGGS WTF

This is why we need to stop teaching cats abstinence.  It just doesn't work.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #828 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:17 »

I think our student union just voted to ban Facebook on the university library computers between 10-4.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #829 on: 23 Feb 2010, 12:42 »

Hey guys, I have a job now. I work at the McDonalds that is about a 4 minute walk from my house. If I had a car I would have been able to try and get a job driving around to businesses and trying to get them to use verizon. But hey, at least I have a job!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #830 on: 23 Feb 2010, 15:01 »

GODDAMN CAT UPDATE
 1) she has fleas
 2) she has worms
 3) she has infected my other cat with the fleas and hopefully not the ringworms
GROSS

ALSO, EXPENSIVE
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #831 on: 23 Feb 2010, 15:26 »

Guys.

Guys I officially have a job that is somewhat less shitty than my old McDonald's one.

It's supposed to be a temp position, but if I don't spend all my time jacking off in the bathrooms instead of actually working, I will most likely wind up as a permanent hire with benefits and shit. Also I am starting as a cashier and the lady was basically like "Yeah I will probably wind up bombing you with metric shitloads of hours year-round."

I stopped being so emo about the job too and now the only thing that bothers me is the fact that it's like 5 miles on a bike each way to get there, and Livermore is hella hillz.

I even got to sign an adorable little non-disclosure agreement basically saying that I won't tell Lowe's about our promotions. Which seems silly to me. Why the hell would Lowe's ever come up and be like "Hey. Hey you. You look like a smart guy. Tell you what, smart guy. I'll make you a deal. Tell me about Home Depot's upcoming sales and I'll give you fifty dolla--" no that shit doesn't happen ever. It was still cute though.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #832 on: 23 Feb 2010, 15:44 »

Hey guys, I have a job now. I work at the McDonalds that is about a 4 minute walk from my house. If I had a car I would have been able to try and get a job driving around to businesses and trying to get them to use verizon. But hey, at least I have a job!

Guys I officially have a job that is somewhat less shitty than my old McDonald's one.

Dick

It's supposed to be a temp position, but if I don't spend all my time jacking off in the bathrooms instead of actually working,

I had that job, its called night security, I hit 3 times one shift easy-peasy.

Blogging: So I wrote a check for $2500 of my moms money to basically cover the rent my old roommate didnt pay and got a piece of paper saying the landlord wont come after me for anything now. Thank fucking-god thats off my mind now. Alls left to due is sue my ex-roommate which I will wait a few months to do, let my life settle.

After the hardest week of work/life training new hires, I am basically spending my day walking around like an elementary school teacher answering questions and generally musing out loud or regaling the new hires with things I forgot to mention last week. Easiest week of my life.

Ive also decided to regrow my moustache complete with soulpatch, get prescription Ray Bans and invest in some minimal v-necks and tight pants suspenders and some button up shirts and basically rip off a combination of Joey Jeremiah and Johnny Depp for my look. Throw in some Mr. Schue for work attire. And basically dress with style.

As is, Im fashionable but boring, I want to stylish and be 'hot'. My b-day is in under a month and am going to try to get the glasses by then, my facial hair will be in as well. Once that starts up Ill take some before/after pics.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #833 on: 23 Feb 2010, 16:00 »

I wasn't tryna do datttttttt :(

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #834 on: 23 Feb 2010, 16:02 »

Dawg, I was talking about the recipe site.

Why the crap do you need an invite for a recipe wiki

Seriously.

I really want someone to tell me
I'm going to guess that it's because the recipe wiki doesn't accept registrations right now but I hear it's really good and damn do I love me some well-made Cheesecake. Hopefully, it'll have a good recipe for Cheesecake.
But seriously, don't ask me why the recipe wiki doesn't have registrations open. I'm not in charge of it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #835 on: 23 Feb 2010, 16:02 »

My feet hurt so bad, and my head is basically 80% hair gel. Time for bed!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #836 on: 23 Feb 2010, 16:16 »

guys, i am on the verge of spending 75% of my bank account.

"On what?" I can hear you asking. Well, I'll tell you: a television. a NICE television. I still have to check around at a few other places but the deed could potentially be done by tonight squeeeee.

I am so nervous and excited. I'm gonna have to have a one-man Blu-Ray marathon party to celebrate if I end up buying one.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #837 on: 23 Feb 2010, 17:43 »

So it's probably going to snow at least 5 inches on Thursday?  I'm getting tired of building igloos (quinzees), and I don't think we can top our last one, anyways.  That sucker had two chambers connected by a 7-foot long tunnel and could seat 11 people with room to spare.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #838 on: 23 Feb 2010, 19:46 »

so guess who has two thumbs and just got accepted to complete her master's degree at the university of ottawa starting this september?!

THIS GIRL, FUCK YEAH!

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #839 on: 23 Feb 2010, 19:46 »

p.s. sorry you all had to listen to me whine about applications for like the five months leading up to this

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #840 on: 23 Feb 2010, 20:46 »

Congratulations, tania!!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #841 on: 23 Feb 2010, 21:58 »

Goooo Tania!

Also, guess who got a positive work review and probably a lovely raise due to that?

THIS GUY, FUCK YEAH!
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #842 on: 23 Feb 2010, 22:04 »

Sickness update:

I didn't go to the dr. I stopped puking around 2:48pm, so I think I'll be ok. I was extremely dehydrated because I couldn't drink anything, but my wonderful boyfriend brought me home some 7up, ginger ale, and ice. So that's definitely helped. I feel a bit better, though still hella tired, and sore. My face is still covered in dots, which sucks, and I got through to Hot Topic finally and the lady seemed to be totally ok with rescheduling, so that is good.

Amanda, that sucks about your kitty. Do you have a spare room you could keep it in? At least until it is cleared of fleas and worms. Worms suck, so if you can keep you cats separated, it'd be less of a headache.

And Tania, thats awesome!

Also, guys I am hella craving alphabet soup. Which is weird because I hate tomatoes, and I hate peas, and it has both. But god it sounds so yummy!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #843 on: 24 Feb 2010, 00:40 »

Guys, did you ever see that scene in Blues Brothers 2000 where Elwood is running from the cops and winds up in a Southern Baptist tent revival where there's a gospel choir onstage and the whole church starts singing and Elwood's half brother (the police chief or whatever) is all singing gospel music and it's basically a long and ridiculous story and his new half brother is given a revelation by God and then he praises Jesus by singing "JEEEEZUS" a million times and stuff

Well I guess that doesn't really help convey my message at all

Anyway I'm the guitarist in an all-black Baptist gospel choir in Oakland now

I don't think I will ever do anything predictable ever
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2010, 00:48 by Patrick »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #844 on: 24 Feb 2010, 01:59 »

People saw Blues Brothers 2000?

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #845 on: 24 Feb 2010, 02:37 »

Yeah, that was the surprising element of that post for me too.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Zingoleb

« Reply #846 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:28 »

Don't try putting on blackface makeup to try and fit in, though, you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #847 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:10 »

I've never been sure whether to be ashamed or proud of the fact that my paternal grandfather was a member of the George Mitchell Minstrels, the precursor to the Black and White Minstrels.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right
« Reply #848 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:32 »

dear bloggy thread,

i am considering spending large amounts of internet dollars on Rad Stuff that you guys have recommended to me.
is this a worthwhile indulgence?

i normally don't shop much, but feel like i deserve it after all the stressful stuff i've been through lately.

xoxoxo,
anna
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Zingoleb

« Reply #849 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:01 »

Blaggy,

So I've decided to take up doing portraits and figure drawing because it's always fascinated me more than other forms of drawing and I should stop being lazy and actually draw rather than doodle.

Local colleges actually offer no art classes on the form. Neither do they offer classes on how to speak German. The most they offer is introduction to visual arts, which is something I've already done several times through school. Dang, I'm going to have to travel, like, out of the county.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 81   Go Up