THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 888035 times)

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #3950 on: 11 Aug 2010, 10:37 »

lol last week i went out to have gay lunch with my gay girlfriend. I ordered the gayest ploughmans, which i think is like the ikea of sandwiches, because it's TOTALLY FABULOUS but there's a lot of self assembly and you always end up with loads of spare bits that don't go together. Lol gay.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3951 on: 11 Aug 2010, 11:42 »

Oh.
Ouch.

Just got dumped by a girl I was on a steady one train line to falling in love with. Speaking of gays. I don't honestly think I could have figured a worse time for this to happen.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3952 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:00 »

Well, I didn't notice that he was being teased because of being straight. I still don't feel like that is a valid reason for saying "my gay friend my gay friend". Thats like if I specified my black friend every time I told a story about her. I could say "My black Muslim friend doesn't eat pork because it's against her religion." but the message would be the same if I said "My friend does not eat pork because it is against her religion." Does that all make sense? Call me crazy, but I feel like we should look beyond race, gender, and sexual orientation, like that shouldn't be the defining characteristic when describing someone. But....

I do identify as pansexual. So I don't know. Maybe that has something to do with it.

But whatevs! I was not trying to be an ass about it! If anything I was saying it with a bit of a giggle. Does that make sense?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #3953 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:12 »

I was trying to clarify not overemphasize, and there is a line.  Maybe I crossed it?  Usually it doesn't occur to me the way in which I convey certain things because I'm always with the same group of people when relating them.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #3954 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:41 »

Does that make sense?

Yep, which is why I tried to make my own post non-accusatory by just pointing out the relevant bit of his post. Sorry on my part if it still came off that way.

Just got dumped by a girl I was on a steady one train line to falling in love with. Speaking of gays. I don't honestly think I could have figured a worse time for this to happen.

That sucks. Sympathies.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3955 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:51 »

No one came off as sound condescending or accusatory! So thats good all around.

Andy, yeah, that sucks. But at least you are very pretty and awesome! Right?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #3956 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:54 »

Straight white guilt, love it. Given the impersonal context of a forum I can understand how it might seem like unnecessary information to include, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out things about people to describe them. "My gay friend" isn't meant to cheapen everything about those friends personalities, and at the same time gives context without imposing an opinion either way. In any capacity, no harm no foul to be sure.

Thog Bread, I am really curious as to what makes people believe that face value is worth more than the transparently obvious motivation behind their actions. A friend of mine made plans with me specifically so that she could break them to absolve the guilt of being a negligent friend who never calls. The blatant irony of the situation aside, I am more confused on an existential level as to where this comes from than I am actually angry at her. I do still feel screwed out of my day off though.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3957 on: 11 Aug 2010, 13:03 »

that does suck. hey guys, i got some guts removed yesterday! i feel great today though! thanks percocet and oxycodone! actually i'm not that sure i'd be super sore anyway, but i won't take my chances.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3958 on: 11 Aug 2010, 13:27 »

Straight white guilt, love it.

Man, so much for no one sounding offensive!

Brittany, what guts did you get removed?

Anyway, so, as many of you may know, our landlord sucks. A lot. Recently, we have been buying ice cream(what with it being summer and all), and getting pissed when our freezer won't kee it frozen. So we bought a thermometer. This is the fridge that our landlord used to replace the other two fridges he bought us that broke(because he buys shitty fridges). This fridge is part of our lease. Part of why we are paying him $675 a month. So buy the thermometer, and keep it in the freezer for about a week. The freezer averages 15° to 22°. A freezer should be 0° or lower, but definitely not above 5°, according to the internet. This seems insane to us, so we buy another thermometer, thinking that one is broke. Same results. So we now keep one in the fridge and one in the freezer. Our refrigerator averages 52fucking°. WTF. It's supposed to be 35°. The danger zone is between 40° and 140°. My food fucking lives in the danger zone.

So we've been calling and calling the landlord about this. At least twice a day. Today, we call his boss. Who just makes excuses for him. Then we get a call from the landlord. Who then says to my boyfriend, very slowly, "you are not experiencing a catastrophe right now". Wtf. Are you kidding me???? You are allowing our food to sit in the danger zone, and rot. This is the temperature that food spoils and makes you sick. No wonder all our veggies always go bad so quickly. Because you keep giving us broken ass appliances!

It wasn't until we told his boss that we are moving if this does not get solved that we actually got a call back. I am so pissed right now. Can we sue him?

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface
« Reply #3959 on: 11 Aug 2010, 13:37 »

I think you can only sue if you were harmed by it.  i.e. someone gets food poisoning from eating from the fridge.  Or maybe, if you lost a substantial amount of money to the fridge.  Check your lease though, because it may be a breach in the contract.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3960 on: 11 Aug 2010, 13:40 »

so i had a dream where robyn was just sort of kickin' it at my house and we hung out for a while and then ended up recording together.

it was basically the best dream i've had in foreverrr
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3961 on: 11 Aug 2010, 13:42 »

Lost a substantial amount of money because of it? ha. haha. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahahaha..

Seriously though, we've both have had to take days off work to meet with him/his repair people, only for them to never show up. We've lost tons of food to spoilage. The fridge is basically hemorrhaging money.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface
« Reply #3962 on: 11 Aug 2010, 13:45 »

Email a lawyer then explaining the situation.  You may have something to move forward with.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3963 on: 11 Aug 2010, 14:58 »

Not a lawyer; do you guys have something like a citizens' advice bureau over there? That'd be where I'd go for first-off advice. Definitely it sounds like something worth pursuing, although try not to get too stressed over it. It is certainly unacceptable and expensive, so you have a valid reason to complain, but you need to be insistent rather than hysterical (as in, that is the image you need to project when talking to advisors and so forth).

Having a bad fridge sucks, the shared fridge in my shared kitchen last year was really bad and food went off all the time. I'm so excited about having my own fridge for next year and I will insist it's repaired if it goes wrong. I can make delicious lunches! I don't have to get dressed before I can eat breakfast! I can cook for more than one day and know it won't be mouldy when I come to reheat it! Awesome.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Zingoleb

« Reply #3964 on: 11 Aug 2010, 17:47 »

Most people seem to agree that 10% of people are gay, and just based on personal experience I would say even that is a stretch.

Well it probably IS something like 10% in the cities, because homosexual (men, anyways, not women so much) tend to move to a more 'gay' area, so you'll find urban places that are pretty much dripping with the gays everywhere and so to them it seems like "Yeah dude like 10% is probably right" whereas out in more rural areas, homosexuality is found to be less common! So the numbers vary where you are at.

This isn't just pulled out of my ass, by the way, it is something I've been reading up on.

In others news, there's a homeless guy who keeps coming into the walmart and harassing the staff. He's amazing. He basically answers the question, "What if, instead of being an awesome frontman for an awesome band, Wayne Coyne was just an awesome homeless dude?"

He wears four watches. I asked him why one day, and he said something to the effect of, "Because I'm rich. And I collect watches. And you can't turn them off, you know, so I might as well wear them."

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3965 on: 11 Aug 2010, 18:04 »

That's actually pretty awesome, Zing.

And we've only been hysterical about it when venting to others. Our landlord, and his boss both know we are pissed, as we've told them the service we've been receiving is making us look at other apartments. We're calling multiple times a day because we aren't getting responses. Usually our calls get sent straight to voicemail. Living here has been hell for the entire year I've lived here.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #3966 on: 11 Aug 2010, 18:21 »

I'm making Amanda a present for her wedding! I'm super excited cos I think it's going to be awesome. I finally got all the pieces I need, and workarounds for the pieces I couldn't find, and figured out how to do the things I haven't done before, and I just started on it tonight. So she doesn't find out too much, all I'm going to say about it for now is, it's blue. Which is one of her wedding colors, so it doesn't give away much.  :-D
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3967 on: 11 Aug 2010, 19:36 »

Well it probably IS something like 10% in the cities, because homosexual (men, anyways, not women so much) tend to move to a more 'gay' area

I disagree. Maybe it's just my city (and that's what I'm entirely basing this off of), but there is a neighborhood here called Northside (aka the Gayborhood*) that is full of both gay men and women alike. Actually, there's a pretty large queer and trans community here as well, so that may be a part of that, but I would honestly say that there are just as many gay women who live or spend a lot of time in Northside. From what I've gathered from all my time with the LGBTQ community here in the past few years is that they all really like being together in the same community or at least atmosphere. But it's not contained in that community only by any means, but it is the dominant one. I know there's this weird taboo-like thing among gay men and women, but it's not always so, but again I think it's just largely due to this town.

Or it could just be that Northside is easily one of the best, most awesome parts of this city and is just full of chill, loving, awesome people.

*This is NOT a negative thing, the people who live in Northside who are LGBTQ came up with it. It is not meant to be offensive by any means, but more of a silly joke among Northsiders.

Blog,
Tomorrow a bunch of us are having Festivus! I am excited! I have my grievances prepared to be aired and I shall do my best in the Feats of Strength. And all my potatoes are all ready to go to be cooked as soon as I get home from work. Woo!
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2010, 19:39 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3968 on: 11 Aug 2010, 20:27 »

So I got appallingly drunk a little while ago and made an ass of myself and haven't drank since because I am (was?) an alcoholic apparently. I am pretty OK with that now and have been a lot happier since and am much more comfortable with myself now. That is not really what I want to write about. I was going to use that as a lead-in to mentioning something else about this girl who keeps chatting with me and who hates feminists and I am worried she is interested in me but that is just not even worth writing about. I just wish she wasn't best friends with a good new friend out here. This island is weird.

Man I am looking forwards to going to Fredericton soon. There will be good friends and I am going to give the young feminist group there a basic talk on bike repair. I am not a genius mechanic but I can do a lot of stuff and it'll be good. It'll be good to hang out with my leftist friends and their interesting friends and good people. I've yet to find any really cool people that I mesh with here.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #3969 on: 12 Aug 2010, 01:54 »

GUYS GUYS TOMORROW NIGHT I AM SEEING THE EELS!!!!!! WEEEE!!!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3970 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:10 »

I walked outside the other day and someone at the gay bar across the street called me Seth Rogan.  :-( :-( :-(

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3971 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:24 »

So, Ramadan has started again. I work with a lot of Muslims. That means that a) I have worked at that cafe for nearly a year, which is a little bit depressing that time has gone so quickly, and b) I have been around long enough to actually get to eat some of the massive amounts of food they make to break their fast. Tonight I had lentil and rice soup, fattoush (a Lebanese salad which I have cravings for), some fried chicken, chips, and some spiced rice with roasted eggplant, tomato, and lamb mince (topped with yoghurt). I ate until I almost threw it all up, and there was still a heap left. Sometimes I love this place.

I still need to get off my arse and find a new job, though. Two people have said they would be references for me, which is really great, I just need to actually do something about it now.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3972 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:28 »

EDIT for accuracy!:

I walked outside the other day and someone at the gay bar across the street called me Seth Rogan.  :-( :-( :-(

Are you a gentleman of girth with a large amount of blonde frizzy hair?

Ok so things that are going on with me!
1) I've been told by my doctor that my resting heart rate of 100bpm and reasonably high blood pressure indicates that I have hypertension and tachycardia. I've got an appointment with a cardiologist (which is going to cost $385!!!) next week so hopefully it's nothing too undealwithable. I already eat fairly heathily and I've been going to the gym 3 times a week for the last 3 months so surely that has to help a bit? I just quit smoking as well so hopefully that will help. Quitting smoking is surprisingly easy to do when you're threatened with a massive heart attack at 23.
2) I went down to Melbourne earlier this week to have a consult with a tattooist. It was really cool, she was very excited to get started and she took a sketch of my arms and I left a deposit! Wheeee! Also I met up with Harry and had lunch which was very nice. It will be fun to stay with him when my girlfriend and I go down in October but man I am so glad that we're driving down instead of flying. I like being in a plane but when it lands the pressure on my eardrums almost brings me to tears and then I'm deaf for anything up to 3 days afterwards. I got back on tuesday and my hearing is just starting to come back.
3) I got my tax return back! It is so much money that I was able to buy a 160gb iPod and still have $1000 left to put away for my tattoos. Life is pretty awesome right now (except for the heart condition thing).
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 06:34 by Jimmy the Squid »
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3973 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:31 »

Jimmy I thought you had met Hannah several times

(of course she is a gentleman of girth with frizzy hair a duuuuhhhhh)

Well it probably IS something like 10% in the cities, because homosexual (men, anyways, not women so much) tend to move to a more 'gay' area, so you'll find urban places that are pretty much dripping with the gays everywhere and so to them it seems like "Yeah dude like 10% is probably right" whereas out in more rural areas, homosexuality is found to be less common! So the numbers vary where you are at.

Yeah I almost put something to the effect of "and we all know how accurate one dude's personal experience can be lol amirite" in brackets after that sentence. N e wayz I am glad I didn't offend anyone, hooray!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3974 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:35 »

Man I don't think you could offend anyone with your current avatar.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Zingoleb

« Reply #3975 on: 12 Aug 2010, 09:04 »

I disagree. Maybe it's just my city (and that's what I'm entirely basing this off of), but there is a neighborhood here called Northside (aka the Gayborhood*) that is full of both gay men and women alike. Actually, there's a pretty large queer and trans community here as well, so that may be a part of that, but I would honestly say that there are just as many gay women who live or spend a lot of time in Northside. From what I've gathered from all my time with the LGBTQ community here in the past few years is that they all really like being together in the same community or at least atmosphere. But it's not contained in that community only by any means, but it is the dominant one. I know there's this weird taboo-like thing among gay men and women, but it's not always so, but again I think it's just largely due to this town.

Or it could just be that Northside is easily one of the best, most awesome parts of this city and is just full of chill, loving, awesome people.
Yeah I almost put something to the effect of "and we all know how accurate one dude's personal experience can be lol amirite" in brackets after that sentence. N e wayz I am glad I didn't offend anyone, hooray!

couldn't resist  :lol:

anyways yr town sounds amazing Linds.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3976 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:42 »

Are you a gentleman of girth with a large amount of blonde frizzy hair?

I am not. I am about 20 pounds overweight at this point (:-() but I do not look like Seth Rogan.

My point is that at least one of the guys at the gay bar across the street from my apartment is a jerk.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3977 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:59 »

anyways yr town sounds amazing Linds.

Not really. Outside of that community, Cincinnati is full of racists, douchebags, and snobs. It just happens to have a few pockets where all the cool people with brains hang out. (I am very thankful they do exist or I would probably go batshit.)
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 12:01 by Linds »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3978 on: 12 Aug 2010, 14:57 »

Hey, overweight guys, lose it now!  You know why?  If you leave it 'til you're my age, your skin has lost its stretch and you end up all wrinkled like a prune - and you wouldn't want that, would you?  (Oh, and - heart attacks: not good.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface
« Reply #3979 on: 12 Aug 2010, 21:00 »

Is there ever an age where you can just stop caring, or it at more of a state of mind thing?

Not really. Outside of that community, Cincinnati is full of racists, douchebags, and snobs. It just happens to have a few pockets where all the cool people with brains hang out. (I am very thankful they do exist or I would probably go batshit.)

I'm originally from Berkeley.  And, last month when visiting my uncle we were trying to find a place to go in San Fran using the GPS on his iphone.  It took us and my two, four-year-old cousins through the Castro.  He was worried about being a bad parent, and I assured him they were a) too young to understand b) you end up way more well adjusted if you take things like sex shops in stride.  :-P

Now I live in Idaho, where it is completely legal to fire someone for being gay.  In addition it is a right to work state where they can fire you for no reason even if there is another discriminatory reason they want to fire you for.  There has been legislation that has been in the state senate to make it illegal to fire you for said reason, but it's never even made it to vote.  I'm sure (or hope) Ohio is better for tolerance than Idaho.  At the very least legally.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3980 on: 12 Aug 2010, 21:27 »

Legally yes. Tolerance really depends on if you're in a major city or not. (Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati are not major nationally, but those are the 3 biggest cities in the state.) I don't really spend a lot of time in rural Ohio, but judging from rural Indiana and Kentucky, I'd say those areas are not going to be as tolerant. From what I've noticed, if there's less people in your town, the more judgmental the people are if you are different. I think Columbus is friendlier than Cincinnati, but I really don't know about Cleveland, but I do believe there are good surgeons that are trans-friendly in Cleveland, if I remember conversations I've overheard correctly.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3981 on: 12 Aug 2010, 21:48 »

From what I've noticed, if there's less people in your town, the more judgmental the people are if you are different.

Ding ding ding! It took me years to realize that NY is actually a liberal state because I live in such a rural area. This is why I want to move to Ithaca - it is easily the single most gay- and trans-friendly place I have ever been, hands down.

As for other places, well...it's scary how few places actually have protection based on sexual or gender identity. And then trans issues are often dropped if they can be to make headway in lbg issues...

Eh, I'm gonna stop now before I rant.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3982 on: 12 Aug 2010, 22:07 »

I think Cleveland is pretty tolerant towards gays. To my knowledge anyway. I lived there shortly, mostly hung around Coventry, and worked there. Most of our customers were lesbian couples. It seemed like a pretty tolerant place.

It really sucks that there are bad people in the world, who think they are The Best kind of Person. It also really sucks when a)you are trying to disagree with someone, and not sound like a jerk for doing so, and they get upset, and b)when you are misunderstood so bad that people get so freaking upset with you. It also really sucks trying to type and smoke a cigarette.

Speaking of cigarettes, I'm trying to...cut down. I don't really want to ever quit(because it makes me look cool, guys! And because I enjoy it too much. It's my quiet vice. I like it and it comforts me. Like a warm security blanket of smooth delicious smoke), but I recently bumped my average cigarette consumption up to two packs a week, from one pack every two weeks or so. It's starting to get really expensive, which is one of the main reasons I want to cut back(also, because my boyfriend has high blood pressure[we are working on that too! He is eating 1500 to 1800 calories a day, and biking to and from work 5 days a week, which is awesome! Woo for him! I'm very proud] and I know if he cut back on smoking it'll help him, which means I need to cut back to help encourage him). Last month we spent like $75 on cigarettes. And thats using coupons. We have a budget we try to stick to, and we only budget $35 a month for cigarettes(which when we made the budget, I thought was way too much.) So yeah, we need to cut back.

Of course, I was smoking when I started typing this, and now I'm craving another cigarette again. This is sad, and laughable. sigh/lol

Allybee

« Reply #3983 on: 12 Aug 2010, 23:58 »

I just saw scott pilgrim!! midnight showing! I liked it a lot. driving home it felt like I was in a cyberpunk novel cause after I dropped my friends off I got on the masspike and there were very few cars, all of which went really fast, like spaceships. lots of blinking lights, too. I dig.
radical dame

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3984 on: 13 Aug 2010, 02:38 »

Ow ow ow ow my knee is swollen and I can't put any weight on it or bend it fuckity fuck I am going to Edinburgh today if the director ever gets here.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #3985 on: 13 Aug 2010, 03:35 »

My friends and I were planning a cottage weekend, but I work a lot and we were having trouble picking a date. I thought plans had just kind of fallen through and were forgotten, but all of their Twitters are exploding with "Wooo going away with my 4 besties" and crap like that. I guess they just... figured it out without me. Didn't even tell me they were going to go anyway - if they had, I'd have said "Sorry dudes, gotta work" and it would have been all good. But now I feel sad.

On the bright side, saw my fella this morning, and starting Sunday we have 3 days together! eeeee!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #3986 on: 13 Aug 2010, 05:00 »

Last month we spent like $75 on cigarettes.
Seriously, you are really really lucky to be able to say that. Between the new tax and higher prices here anyways, my brand is almost 11 dollars a pack. Thank god I am giving it up. I definitely will miss smoking, because it is exactly that quiet reliable lover, but I also am very excited to be able to breathe and not cough up terrible shit and want to die. I just really hope that in the long run my lungs will recover from the hell I put them through as a teenager/young adult.

Tonight I went along with some friends from work to hang out on a mountain and watch the meteor shower, then 24 hour greasy spoon diner. Jawesome.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3987 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:37 »

Is there ever an age where you can just stop caring, or it at more of a state of mind thing?

No - but you also have to accept the inevitable (as opposed to what people think is inevitable, but actually isn't).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #3988 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:50 »

Emaline, I highly recommend that one of your transitions with regards to your smoking habits is to switch to hand-rolling your cigarettes.

It's SO much cheaper (like 20-30% of the factory-pack price, when you break it down) and you're (slightly) less likely to end up giving your money to Republicans.  They also taste better, and the tobacco is higher quality and doesn't have nasty chemicals in it.  And you basically end up smoking fewer cigarettes automatically, because you have to roll each one individually (even a rolling machine takes a little bit of effort) and they tend to give you a little more of a nicotine buzz anyway.

I recommend Bali Shag if you can find it.  It's awesome.  Nowadays I smoke about a half a clove cigarette a day (I roll the tobacco out of it and then hand-roll a cigarette with it, partly because I love rolling my own smoking implements and partly because it lets me get 2-3 smokes out of each cigarette, and cloves are expensive) but when I smoked non-spiced tobacco, Bali Shag was my shit.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3989 on: 13 Aug 2010, 07:04 »

Oh god roll-your-owns. My roomate and I did that in college. Sit for an hour or two and fill a shoebox with cigarettes. If you are looking to cut back, don't do roll-your-owns. When you have half a pound of tobacco sitting in your drawer, you'll be rolling a cigarette whenever you want. And it isn't a hard process. Most of the machines are hella easy.

Plus, you'll look at that zip-lock baggie of delicious tobacco and say "I had better use this up before it gets stale."

And it will get stale if you don't use it.

I quit 2 years 8 months and 12 days ago. Cold turkey. I saved so much money that I was able to become a mostly-functional alcoholic and gain 20 pounds.

Anyone else quit smoking and immediately gain weight?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3990 on: 13 Aug 2010, 08:38 »

Went back to the Marine Corps recruitment office yesterday. This time I am not letting them tell me no. Fuck that shit.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface
« Reply #3991 on: 13 Aug 2010, 09:44 »

Why the marines over other branches?  From everything I hear it is a much harder service, and the pay/benefits/promotion potential is lower.  My dad was a marine during Vietnam.  He didn't go to Vietnam, though. They gave him a top secret clearance, taught him spanish, and he listened to the Reds communications at Gitmo.  This was before they ever had the prison.  Mostly he did correspondence courses and played D&D.

ackblom12

« Reply #3992 on: 13 Aug 2010, 09:49 »

Yeah, the Marines are basically the branch of the military that people join because they want to be career Marines. They don't really have to try and convince people to join because the people they want are Marine zealots already.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3993 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:34 »

Anyone else quit smoking and immediately gain weight?

Well, it's almost impossible for me to gain weight, but I've quit smoking a couple times and it always ends up in me not sleeping for a week or two before I cave in and smoke again.

I had really bad insomnia in highschool but it magically went away when I started smoking around age 17/18.
The fear of not being able to sleep keeps me smoking to this day. Well, that, and the crippling addiction. Obviously.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface
« Reply #3994 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:43 »

I smoke hookah all the time. (I'm smoking our hookah right now)  But, never got into cigarettes.  Weight gain is a different thing for me.  I'm 6'1'' and have weighed 150lbs since I was 16.  In the healthy BMI range.  I'm also a type 1 diabetic and find it impossible to gain weight.  I still have that skinny indie kid metabolism, in addition.  True muscle mass has always been an issue for me, even though I am a machinist and get a lot of physical exercise.

I've also had bouts with insomnia.  I recently bought a melatonin supplement from the local co-op.  I am raving about this stuff!  I take one tablet before I go to bed and I am out in 10 minutes max.  It's a neurohormone that regulates your circadian rhythm.

ackblom12

« Reply #3995 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:02 »

Do you take it every night? That's not typically suggested since taking melatonin too often causes your brain to slow down or stop it's own production.

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • bookface
« Reply #3996 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:11 »

Nah, it's more of a jump start thing.  You take one for a while then you cut back to half of one.  Then hopefully you can just stop taking it with a normal sleep schedule.  God knows I have enough endochrinological problems already.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #3997 on: 13 Aug 2010, 12:36 »

I definitely have started gaining weight since I quit smoking. The first month or so I didnt get more than 2-3 hours of sleep at a time, often not until 5am or so, so weight wasn't an issue since I just felt unhealthy and disgusting all of the time, exercising or not. Now that that has settled down I have put on an easy 5-10 pounds that I need to start working on. The only way I can really recommend quitting cigarettes is through exercise, because it just really really sucks not having something to give you that kind of endorphin rush when you are ready to snap people's heads off.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3998 on: 13 Aug 2010, 14:49 »

Yeah. I've gained 20 pounds since I quit. I have recently been able to lose 10 of it, though. Hooray for actually getting off my ass and exercising, right?!

So, in summation; quit smoking, ye tarry crabs.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3999 on: 13 Aug 2010, 16:00 »

I've lost another dress size since i quit smoking. magic.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81   Go Up