THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 21:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wolfman  (Read 17305 times)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
The Wolfman
« on: 02 Feb 2010, 16:14 »

I did a search and checked through the last few pages. Nothing has been said about this film for at least 5 months and it comes out pretty soon. Thought I'd ask if anyone is as excited about this film as I am?

Trailer

I remember reading a while ago (when this film was just announced) that certain films go in and out of fashion in accordance with how well the world economy is going. For instance when things are going well, vampire films tend to be the go as vampires are usually aristocratic fops whereas when the economy is not as great the market opens up for werewolf movies as they tend to have a more "lower-class" feel. Werewolves are usually "everymen" that you can relate to more than a rich, vampire aristo. Interested to see how it goes with Del Toro playing a rich werewolf.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: The Wolfman
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2010, 16:21 »

I am going to see this, probably on opening night, due to nothing more than Benicio Del Toro.

It looks decent....but I have an extreme amount of respect for Del Toro and I believe he will probably make this movie awesome.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2010, 18:31 »

It used to be a Mark Romanek joint. He and some old creature feature dude who kinda looks like Donald Sutherland were going to make a no-CGI horror film. Then the studio stepped in, it became something like 100% CGI, Romanek dropped out and Other Donald Sutherland pretty much openly hates the film. I think Brett Ratner was attached at some point, I'm not sure he still is.

Anyway yeah, this movie is going to be straight up Ass.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2010, 18:45 »

What the hell has happened to Anthony Hopkins's face?!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2010, 18:50 »

I tried to get excited about this but it looks like poop.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:03 »

What the hell has happened to Anthony Hopkins's face?!
WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2010, 20:08 »

No seriously though. It's like he ran out of money half-way through a Botox session and they just kicked him out on the street.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 02 Feb 2010, 21:04 »

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR FACE?
NOT SO FUN NOW IS IT
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 03 Feb 2010, 02:53 »

For instance when things are going well, vampire films tend to be the go as vampires are usually aristocratic fops

Then how come the world economy is in the toilet and yet people are still dropping their shit over vampires. Just can't win, motherfucker.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #9 on: 03 Feb 2010, 03:14 »

Vampires are also popular in times of repression of the sexual kind, given the barely veiled sexual nature of vamps and yadda yadda yadda. Maybe that has something to do with it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #10 on: 03 Feb 2010, 03:45 »

I dunno man, as I understand it that with equal marriage rights in some isolated corners of the world we'll all be fucking horses soon.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 03 Feb 2010, 03:58 »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #12 on: 03 Feb 2010, 04:07 »

The internet will potentially lose one of its main sources of bestiality videos under a ban approved by the upper house of the Dutch Parliament.

nooooooo

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 03 Feb 2010, 04:20 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo
                                 \
                                  \

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #14 on: 03 Feb 2010, 04:49 »

For instance when things are going well, vampire films tend to be the go as vampires are usually aristocratic fops

Then how come the world economy is in the toilet and yet people are still dropping their shit over vampires. Just can't win, motherfucker.

I was hoping someone would raise that point as it does pretty much throw a spanner in those works. When I read that article it was when this film was just announced and the economy was starting to plunge and if I remember correctly (I may not) then I don't think Twilight had gotten as retardedly popular by that point. Though KVP makes an interesting point about sexual freedom. Vampires were huge in the 1800s or whatever, not the most liberated time. Makes sense that in an age where kids are being taught abstinence-only sex ed and girls are being railroaded into signing celibacy contracts with their dads (which is stupid by the way) that people would go nuts over crappy vampires that just want to hold hands.

Fuck I really didn't want this to turn into another Twilight-Hate thing but fuck I guess it was inevitable.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #15 on: 03 Feb 2010, 04:51 »

You're right, we shouldn't be getting distracted by how shit Twilight is when we haven't fully investigated how shit The Wolfman is going to be.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #16 on: 03 Feb 2010, 04:59 »

I'm still going to see it. It looks fun. Doesn't look good, but it looks fun.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 03 Feb 2010, 06:57 »

I will be watching this film. The cast is all pretty stellar and I'd watch Emily Blunt in almost any old movie. I think it will be okay, probably not amazing, but good and fun. Unfortunately BECAUSE it's been heavily advertised and has a pretty impessive cast, if it isn't spectacular, people are going to paint it as the worst film of all time.

But for all I know it really will be the worst movie of all time, but I doubt it. I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

That's an interesting theory about the appeal of the werewolf based on economic times. I'm a bit curious to look further into that. Werewolves are definitely more of an everyman's monster, but for reasons besides wealth.
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #18 on: 03 Feb 2010, 08:29 »

I was interested in this film until I saw the trailer.  It was just a few months ago and I can't remember it anymore but it just sucked all the excitement I had for the film away.  I'm curious to see what the reviews have to say about it.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #19 on: 03 Feb 2010, 11:58 »

There are werewolves in Twilight. (motherfucker)
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #20 on: 04 Feb 2010, 03:34 »

And that negates my point how

motherfucker

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #21 on: 04 Feb 2010, 05:45 »

It doesn't, it throws the whole theory oven more out the window.(motherfucker)

Mein Tumblr

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 04 Feb 2010, 10:19 »

You guys are such Debbie Downers. Benicio del Toro is reason enough to see this movie, and it looks like it could be fun! Fun. Besides, trailers are nothing to go off of, especially with these kinds of movies where it's got such heavy marketing, trying to attract the broadest audience  possible, that they'll cut a 90 second trailer that is absolutely meaningless. Don't be so sullen, moviegoers!
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2010, 10:59 »

Benicio del Toro is reason enough to see this movie
Brett Ratner was attached at some point
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2010, 11:52 »

Yeah, but he's not the director of the final cut so I doubt that makes a difference.  He was attached to Superman Returns, and while that movie wasn't fantastic in anyway, Brian Singer pretty much erased any trace of Ratner's hand in it.  Making it at least 3 times better than it could have been.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #25 on: 05 Feb 2010, 04:51 »

I am seeing this movie at a special free screening for students on wednesday yay!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Ikrik

« Reply #26 on: 05 Feb 2010, 04:55 »

I thought Ratner was one of the people they were looking at to direct it after the first guy dropped it but the studio decided on someone else.  Isn't that what happened?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 06 Feb 2010, 07:29 »

Actually no there aren't. They're not influenced by the moon. Mother, um, fornicater.

I had seen the trailer and I like the cast and I really want to see this. It's been a long time since there was a werewolf movie and I want to see how this turns out.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #28 on: 06 Feb 2010, 07:37 »

Did someone say Wolfman?
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #29 on: 06 Feb 2010, 08:43 »

He can howl at my full moon anytime.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #30 on: 06 Feb 2010, 16:03 »

Actually no there aren't. They're not influenced by the moon. Mother, um, fornicater.

I had seen the trailer and I like the cast and I really want to see this. It's been a long time since there was a werewolf movie and I want to see how this turns out.
Manboys who turn into wolves aren't werewolves?

Mein Tumblr

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #31 on: 06 Feb 2010, 16:16 »

They are Shapeshifters. They can change willingly (once they get control of those pesky emotions), unlike werewolves, who change at the full moon no matter what.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Ikrik

« Reply #32 on: 07 Feb 2010, 11:20 »

I love how we're talking about Twilight in The Wolfman thread when there's already another Twilight thread.

Anyways.  I was trying to look up some more monster movies and basically all I can come up with are tons and tons and tons of vampire films and very little of anything else.  It makes me sad that there are so many things to do with vampires but so very little done with werewolves. The fact that a Wolfman movie is being made makes me a little happy, and you know what, Benicio Del Toro is pretty good, usually..so my hopes for this movie are starting to grow a little bit.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #33 on: 07 Feb 2010, 15:22 »

I saw a trailer for this when i saw New Moon and was fairly amusing. I hope they made a new one because the one I saw told pretty much all the story, hell it was even ordered chronologically.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 07 Feb 2010, 17:11 »

That's pretty much the trend with modern trailers. I've seen more than one trailer in recent years which has revealed the mid- or late-film death of a significant character, for instance.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #35 on: 13 Feb 2010, 12:08 »

I'm gonna see this on Sunday after my band breaks up or whatever. Should be cathartic.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #36 on: 13 Feb 2010, 12:13 »

That's pretty much the trend with modern trailers. I've seen more than one trailer in recent years which has revealed the mid- or late-film death of a significant character, for instance.

Yeah but this was essentially an abbreviated version of the movie.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #37 on: 14 Feb 2010, 19:02 »

Just got back from seeing it.

Dear god was that a bad choice. Del Toro seemed as flat as his monotone voice, Anthony Hopkins felt hamstrung by a bad screenplay, and the only character I actually sort of enjoyed watching was Hugo Weaving's Scotland Yard inspector.

Also, the movie needed to take a page from Batman Begins: if everyone knows your basic mythos, then by god you do it with class, style, and sheer badassery. What you do is you ramp the goddamn Batman up to the goddamn ninja Batman. You do not fast forward through 3/4ths of the movie on the basic assumption that people already know it. It keeps the tension/seriousness from building and results in the funniest moment in the movie being (at least in my theater) a man trying to commit suicide.

Granted, the ending was fun in a cheesy monster movie sort of way, but it didn't redeem the rest of the movie. Out of 10, I'd give it a 3 on a good day.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 14 Feb 2010, 19:50 »

I saw it today. It's rather bland, which is sad, because I really like Del Toro, Hopkins, Weaving, and Blunt. If they couldn't have made the plot better, then they should have made it a B movie. It's not completely terrible, it was just boring.

Meh. Shutter Island comes out next weekend and maybe that will satisfy my hunger for a decent creepy movie.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2010, 22:51 »

Uhhhhh Hopkins was hamstrung? Maybe you've never watched a movie in your life because otherwise you could see that he was phoning it in to the point where I suspect that references to his character being distant were the result of a rewrite midway through or possibly even after his involvement in the filming was completed. Del Toro and Hugo Weaving were clearly having a blast, but this was a movie with a vengeful hate-on for its audience. It might even hate us as much as it hates its stars.

Ikrik

« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:24 »

Had the option of seeing it today but decided to pass, girlfriend and I decided to watch Dr. No and 2/3 of Goldeneye together (poor girl has only ever seen Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace).  It seems like I made the right choice, looks like I'll just download it when it comes out as a rip.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #41 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:13 »

Uhhhhh Hopkins was hamstrung? Maybe you've never watched a movie in your life because otherwise you could see that he was phoning it in to the point where I suspect that references to his character being distant were the result of a rewrite midway through or possibly even after his involvement in the filming was completed.

Yeah, but in his defence he did actually announce his retirement from acting several years ago. It's not his fault if we all assumed that meant he was going to stop appearing in films, too.

Meh. Shutter Island comes out next weekend and maybe that will satisfy my hunger for a decent creepy movie.

Literally the only thing I know about that movie is that it's got Leonardo Di Caprio in it. There's a poster for it ("Coming soon") at my local cinema, and walking past it I noticed the tag-line:

"Someone is missing."

They're not even trying any more.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:22 »

Shutter Island is actually Scorcese's new thing

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:23 »

and it looks fantastic
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:24 »

I heard someone goes missing in it.

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #45 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:04 »

Spoilers!

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #46 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:16 »

This movie was awesome but it coulda used a couple more decapitations, probably.

sean

• welp
« Reply #47 on: 15 Feb 2010, 10:57 »

shutter island will only be good if leo winds up dead at the end of the movie
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #48 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:24 »

Hugo Weaving w[as] clearly having a blast

And that was the one enjoyable part of the movie.

About Hopkins: I was being extremely charitable.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #49 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:30 »

Hopkins owes you a tax receipt, I think.

This movie was awesome but it coulda used a couple more decapitations, probably.

The violence was smeared on like cheap margarine to kind of make the burnt-toast plot easier to swallow. Just like the rest of the film it mostly seemed like an excuse to throw money at an effects budget.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up