THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 08:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT -February 8-12, 2010  (Read 47829 times)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
WCT -February 8-12, 2010
« on: 07 Feb 2010, 20:12 »

You had your chance.

A great explanation from Dora.  Try it on your parents
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
Re: WCT -February 8-12, 2010
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2010, 20:26 »

Ah, the love triangle.  Marten loves Dora, Dora loves Marten; Tai loves Dora, Dora likes Tai, and Marten and Tai are... coworkers. 

This can only end one way:  Marten dies in a mysterious bookshelf collapse.  Dum dum daaaaaaaaaa...

helloandgoodbye

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2010, 20:27 »

Aww.  Jeph is so nice.  :)

I bet a lot of QC fans would like a Hanners harem, but I bet that would have serious repercussions.

scrawney

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2010, 20:30 »

I just wish I could see the comic.  :-(

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2010, 20:39 »

Ah, the love triangle.  Marten loves Dora, Dora loves Marten; Tai loves Dora, Dora likes Tai, and Marten and Tai are... coworkers. 

This can only end one way:  Marten dies in a mysterious bookshelf collapse.  Dum dum daaaaaaaaaa...

Dramatic Gopher is Dramatic. And [dr.cox]re-hea-hea-hea-hea-ly[/dr.cox] played out.

Come on people,TheWEmemesNEEDmustNEWflow!MEMES!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2010, 21:02 »

Dramatic Gopher is Dramatic. And [dr.cox]re-hea-hea-hea-hea-ly[/dr.cox] played out.

This is the internet culture.  Everything new is old.   

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #6 on: 07 Feb 2010, 21:45 »

all the people that get so goddamn worked up over OMG SOMEONE SUGGESTING THAT POLYAMORY MAY NOT BE TEH BEST THING EVAR should be drug out into the street and shot.

Right afterwards, we shoot all the lawyers.

Ideally, this ends with Yelling Bird fucking his way out of a pile of bodies that consists of the entire population of the eastern seaboard of the United States of America.

The art improvement proceeds. Marten looks quite nice today, in fact.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

akronnick

« Reply #7 on: 07 Feb 2010, 21:52 »

Hey the US got the nuclear holocaust in Last weeks WCT.

This week we should start with Europe.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #8 on: 07 Feb 2010, 22:26 »

Ah, the love triangle.  Marten loves Dora, Dora loves Marten; Tai loves Dora, Dora likes Tai, and Marten and Tai are... coworkers.  

This can only end one way:  Marten dies in a mysterious bookshelf collapse.  Dum dum daaaaaaaaaa...
Or a fourway (the preferred), throwing in Faye. So Faye and Dora get Marten and Tai gets Dora. Everyone wins!

The Dr. Cox thing is played out and rather annoying now, yeah. But random movie quotes seem to be working.

This is the internet culture.  Everything new is old.  
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

all the people that get so goddamn worked up over OMG SOMEONE SUGGESTING THAT POLYAMORY MAY NOT BE TEH BEST THING EVAR should be drug out into the street and shot.

Right afterwards, we shoot all the lawyers.

Ideally, this ends with Yelling Bird fucking his way out of a pile of bodies that consists of the entire population of the eastern seaboard of the United States of America.

The art improvement proceeds. Marten looks quite nice today, in fact.
Lawyers do do some good. It's just that just like every other profession and fanfics, 90% of them are crap. It's worth noting that the Shakespeare quote comes from a tyrant, trying to remove all opposition to his reign.

Hey the US got the nuclear holocaust in Last weeks WCT.
This week we should start with Europe.
No, nuke Turkey. I still have some left over from my lunch last week and I'm getting kinda Hungary.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2010, 22:28 by westrim »

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2010, 22:47 »

Aww...does Tai have a little crush?  A little incredibly awkward crush that's going to end horribly?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #10 on: 08 Feb 2010, 00:44 »

It's worth noting that the Shakespeare quote comes from a tyrant, trying to remove all opposition to his reign.

No. I'm sorry, but no.

The line "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." is taken from Henry VI Part II, and is NOT spoken by a tyrant seeking to remove opposition to his reign. In fact the line is placed in the mouth of Dick, a follower of Jack Cade (an unsavoury adventurer who led a brief rebellion in 1450 during the stormy days leading up to the Wars Of The Roses, and was killed in the subsequent fighting). Shakespeare certainly paints Cade and his rabble in very unsympathetic colours, but Dick's statement is not made in the context of depriving people of their rights, but in his hostility to lawyers as representatives of the world of private property and established order from which he is completely excluded. In the same scene Cade and his followers execute a man simply for being able to read and write, since literacy was then an elite skill identified with power and property. Today, Jack Cade would be a radio talk-show host, still able to exploit the resentment of the disenfranchised but without risking his life.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #11 on: 08 Feb 2010, 00:45 »

Aaarrrggg!  http://www.gunnerkrigg.com is down!

I've come here for sympathy.

Later: back up.  Yay, dead fox bodies.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2010, 01:09 by ysth »

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #12 on: 08 Feb 2010, 00:54 »

Whores, the lot of them!

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #13 on: 08 Feb 2010, 01:03 »

In my alternate reality, Dora ends up with Tai and Marten ends up with Faye.

Part of me wishes I started reading QC after Marten had gotten with Dora, so I wouldn't keep hoping for him to remember how he used to feel and pursue Faye again. I mean, he could have waited it out if she was worth it to him. She's grown a lot since the first strip. In my alternate QC, Marten would think Faye was worth the wait, and Dora would have been disappointed at first but then she would have found a better match in Tai. Dora would be more herself around Tai and less insecure like she is with Marten. Everyone would be happy and nobody would read my QC. :)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2010, 03:43 »

This is the internet culture.  Everything new is old.   
But that's all right; everything old is new.

So everything is simultaneously old and new.... At last! Quantum Culture!
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb 2010, 04:03 »

Whores, the lot of them!

The funniest part is that Jeph was intimidated by angry people on the internet into writing up a disclaimer essay that they will never even bother to read (in addition to the rather lame follow up comic we got today; the art was nice, but the punchline just wasn't quite as good as his usual stuff).

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.  :mrgreen:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #16 on: 08 Feb 2010, 04:33 »

Whores, the lot of them!

Only if it is a straight commercial transaction.  Otherwise they're just loose, or lucky depending on your POV.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

prophile

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #17 on: 08 Feb 2010, 05:09 »

Did anybody else notice part of Tai's clothing disappear in the second panel, then reappear for the third?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #18 on: 08 Feb 2010, 06:01 »

Nitpick. The undershirt could have slid down, as it looked like it was just barely above the button line.

Have a nice day.  :police:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 08 Feb 2010, 06:29 »

Or a fourway (the preferred), throwing in Faye. So Faye and Dora get Marten and Tai gets Dora. Everyone wins!

Spoilers:  After the robot revolution, Marten and the entire female QC cast end up starting a commune in northern Montana.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2010, 06:57 by Tuitsuro »

majie

« Reply #20 on: 08 Feb 2010, 07:09 »

Where's the line for a Dora clone?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #21 on: 08 Feb 2010, 09:25 »

Wouldn't Dora want someone more responsible and stable than Tai?
Quote from: Marten
There is a pretty big difference between being in college and being in your mid-twenties.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #22 on: 08 Feb 2010, 09:45 »

Only if it is a straight commercial transaction.  Otherwise they're just loose, or lucky depending on your POV.

WHOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

akronnick

« Reply #23 on: 08 Feb 2010, 10:13 »

She does. Which is why she's with Marten.

westrim

« Reply #24 on: 08 Feb 2010, 10:40 »

It's worth noting that the Shakespeare quote comes from a tyrant, trying to remove all opposition to his reign.

No. I'm sorry, but no.

The line "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." is taken from Henry VI Part II, and is NOT spoken by a tyrant seeking to remove opposition to his reign. In fact the line is placed in the mouth of Dick, a follower of Jack Cade (an unsavoury adventurer who led a brief rebellion in 1450 during the stormy days leading up to the Wars Of The Roses, and was killed in the subsequent fighting). Shakespeare certainly paints Cade and his rabble in very unsympathetic colours, but Dick's statement is not made in the context of depriving people of their rights, but in his hostility to lawyers as representatives of the world of private property and established order from which he is completely excluded. In the same scene Cade and his followers execute a man simply for being able to read and write, since literacy was then an elite skill identified with power and property. Today, Jack Cade would be a radio talk-show host, still able to exploit the resentment of the disenfranchised but without risking his life.

Damn. This is what happens when I post late at night and the last pieces of Shakespeare I read were King Lear and Macbeth. You're right, of course. I should've checked what my jumbled brain was spitting out against a source.

Spoilers:  After the robot revolution, Marten and the entire female QC cast end up starting a commune in northern Montana.
Make it Florida. Montana is way too cold.

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #25 on: 08 Feb 2010, 10:58 »

Well, not the entire population.  I've got friends there.

Anyway, I think my respect for Jacques went up a notch.  I've always felt that if a large portion of your audience misinterprets what you write, it's because you didn't write it properly in the first place.  And so many writers refuse to take that stance, to say nothing of their fanboys and fangirls who leap to their defense the minute anyone suggests the most recent installment was anything less than Shakespeare.  I thought it was pretty clear that Jacques isn't the sort who treats certain lifestyles as acceptable targets, but either way I'd rather have him admit he may have been too vague than blame the readers when he gets misinterpreted.  There aren't a lot of webcartoonists who'll do that.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #26 on: 08 Feb 2010, 12:05 »

WHOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS

Speaking of which, Madame Zola has asked me to talk to you about your account - it's past due and we're trying to clear up for year end (taxes you know).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #27 on: 08 Feb 2010, 13:39 »

After the robot revolution, Marten and the entire female QC cast end up starting a commune in northern Montana.

Big Love!

Oh, and I should say, even if it does sound a bit fangirly, that the drawing in the Feb 8 strip is amazing, especially the facial expressions in the fourth panel.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2010, 13:41 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Varian7

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #28 on: 08 Feb 2010, 13:54 »

I'd join the line for a Dora clone!  :-D

SleeperCylon

« Reply #29 on: 08 Feb 2010, 14:28 »

There is so a wrong kind of relationship.  Just watch the movie Fish Tank.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #30 on: 08 Feb 2010, 15:29 »

Exactly. Although with Tai as the yardstick, even Sven (or at least post-Faye Sven) might start to look good. Well, except for the incest thing and all.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #31 on: 08 Feb 2010, 17:53 »

Dora was probably kidding in 202.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 08 Feb 2010, 18:17 »

And in the future Faye will be with Hanners

Tai and Dora will turn Marten into a Sub

Penny will get fed up with Wil and hook up with Sven

Raven and Wil will become members of the Hells Angels
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #33 on: 08 Feb 2010, 18:17 »

Starbucks.

No, really: there's a barista at my local Starbucks here in SEWI that could be a dead ringer for  her.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #34 on: 08 Feb 2010, 18:24 »

Exactly. Although with Tai as the yardstick, even Sven (or at least post-Faye Sven) might start to look good. Well, except for the incest thing and all.

Oh, NO. Do NOT put "Tai" and "Sven" in the same sentence. (DAMN.)

Well, that's it, it's inevitable - they're going to hook up.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #35 on: 08 Feb 2010, 22:17 »

Tai and Dora will turn Marten into a Sub
Didn't Faye do that already? Dora remarked on it in 378.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

westrim

« Reply #36 on: 08 Feb 2010, 22:22 »

Oh, NO. Do NOT put "Tai" and "Sven" in the same sentence. (DAMN.)

Well, that's it, it's inevitable - they're going to hook up.

Yeah, but not until they're a combined SvenTai years old- so what, 10, 12 years from now?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #37 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:00 »

Whores, the lot of them!
Hmm nope they dont ask for money. Wait - that means they're cheaper as whores ! :evil: SCNR

Everyone would be happy and nobody would read my QC. :)
Na, I luv your QC. Its just the damn reality that doesnt work that way. Thats why Jeffs QC is better.

Not here; I'm definitely in the Drew Barrymore line. Thinking about it, dont invent cloning. Everybody would just live with the clone of their favorite actors.

Err ... thats why she went for Marten ?
Carpe Diem

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #38 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:18 »

Yay for Marigold.

Shadic

• Shadic's Website
« Reply #39 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:19 »

So. Angus without glasses.

akronnick

« Reply #40 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:24 »

I love that Angus just joins the dance and then asks what the dance is for.

I also love that Marigold dances with her eyes closed.

Also, happy Marigold is very cute. Much cuter than depressed Marigold.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2010, 00:25 by akronnick »

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #41 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:30 »

Panel 3 = cutest marigold ever.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #42 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:39 »

Tai's the potassium to his argon.

Hey look I'm XKCD.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2010, 00:51 by Tuitsuro »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #43 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:44 »

You mean Dora decays into Marten?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

« Reply #44 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:47 »

She's the potassium to his argon.

Hey look I'm XKCD.

I think you might want to try chloride.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #45 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:51 »

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in about polyamory...

My brother describes himself as polyamorous.  He has a primary girlfriend that he's committed to, and, as I understand it, they periodically invite others into sexual interactions.  They have rules to help make it work:  1) They're completely honest about any extra-sexual relationships,  2) They introduce each other to anyone else they have sexual interaction with, and  3) They will never leave each other for someone with whom they have had one of these interactions with.  Obviously, this requires a lot of honesty and trust on both their parts, but they seem to make it work.

Personally, I don't think I could do it, (I don't like to share)  :P  but I have a lot of respect for anyone who can make it work.

EDIT:  As for today's strip, all I will say is I wish I had a complete armour set.  :(

:-)
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2010, 00:54 by Tormuse »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #46 on: 09 Feb 2010, 00:52 »

You mean Dora decays into Marten?

Edited for slightly better clarity. 

akronnick

« Reply #47 on: 09 Feb 2010, 01:05 »

Tai's the potassium to his argon.

Hey look I'm XKCD.

That would imply that Marten is celibate.

Argon doesn't (ordinarily) bind to anything.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #48 on: 09 Feb 2010, 01:15 »

I love that Angus just joins the dance and then asks what the dance is for. I also love that Marigold dances with her eyes closed.

Angus is thick. Dancing is its own justification.  :laugh:

I think Jeph's drawing of Marigold dancing is pretty good too. Though Karen Ellis is still my favourite dancing queen.

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
« Reply #49 on: 09 Feb 2010, 02:09 »

Marigold looks different. Not just the bunches. Something else.
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up