THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 06:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What’s your preferred Zombie combat gear?

Myself: I am a living weapon, at least until I become a dead supper.
- 1 (1.7%)
A chain-saw: good enough for Ash, good enough for me. What do you mean, that was ‘just a movie’?
- 3 (5.2%)
Butterfly knives: slice ‘n dice, baybee! shing shing ouch!
- 3 (5.2%)
A three lb. Australian Cricket War-bat—good for smashin’, bashin’, and pretty much discombobulating a zombie. (Also, it doesn’t have an edge, so I can’t cut myself like I did with the butterfly knives).
- 11 (19%)
Tire-iron or crowbar—I’m a back-to-basics kind of zombie fighter.
- 9 (15.5%)
A twelve gauge shotgun, because when I’m out of ammo, I don’t want to live any more, anyway.
- 15 (25.9%)
A halberd. Keeps the icky bits away from me. Of course, I sleep with it.
- 16 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT -February 15-19, 2010  (Read 44518 times)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
WCT -February 15-19, 2010
« on: 14 Feb 2010, 22:13 »

Pure and clean as the driven snow
From Orange County
Here we go!

I know I misquoted this, but deciding from what I misquoted should give us something to do other than addressing even more inane subjects.
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2010, 22:31 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

westrim

Re: WCT -February 15-19, 2010
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2010, 22:33 »

Pure and clean as the driven snow
From Orange County
Here we go!

I know I misquoted this, but deciding from what I misquoted should give us something to do other than addressing even more inane subjects,

From Orange County? Why you... you Republican! Wait *checks user page* Oh, Mississippi. Then nevermind. Sorry. Carry on. Yay for Dragnet quotes, though!

Yay for double entendre conversations!

I chose Ballin the Jack because it doesn't have "the" first. I am annoyed to say that I only know of The Robot and The Twist, but then the last time I danced unguardedly was when I was 9 and attended a weeding. (misspelled, then left that way for fun)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2010, 23:11 »

Well, I suppose we can be grateful they wern't singing.

Then we'd be wondering if Angus knew Klingon Opera.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:09 »

Ah man, here I thought Marty was having some thoughts of infidelity, and then I read the newspost XD
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:14 »

I was wondering why Marten suddenly hated his library job, why Steve suddenly decided to return, and why Marten was oogling Faye when he was dating Dora. This whole time I'm having a strange feeling of Deja Vu going on in the back of my head.

Then I read the news post and all became clear.

So Jeph had a bad night, big deal. I'll give him a break, hell I'll give him a week's worth of breaks, QC has a rigorous update schedual that few comics meet or surpass, and Jeph delivers night after night after bloody night. Dude is like a machine.

Cheers to ya Jeph, hope you're feeling better tomorrow.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

Aegir

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:14 »

FUCK YES

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:17 »

Number Nine....

Number Nine....

Number Nine....

Industrial Output....

Financial Imbalance....

The Watusi....

The Twist....

El Dorado....

Number Nine....

Number Nine....

Number Nine....

I'm sorry, what was the question?

Feel better, Jeph's Brain.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:32 »

Y'know, after looking at #3 v1.0 for comparison, unless Jeph is going to redraw EVERY strip, that QC book is going to be a study in artistic whiplash.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2010, 00:34 by Somebody »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:43 »

What are the strips that depend on a cartoony drawing style in order to work?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

semi1o1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:55 »

BOO on redraw! :wink: Although the deja vu was fun for a double take. I understand your mind must a self belittling mush, but that should have been a twiggy Faye! Now don't get me wrong I love me Faye's current  :-o bodacious booty and busty body. Its just after I figured out what was going on my mind got stuck. It can't grasp how you would draw young skinny Faye with your current drawing style  :? , but it begs to know. Call me selfish, but you do spoil us. Take all the time off you need. :-D

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2010, 00:56 »

Omg YES! If I thought you were a robot I'd beg you to simultaneously start the whole comic over so we can see the beautiful transformation and also continue from here.

Will you do the poop one again, too? The one where Faye and Martin are having dinner together and she says "You know what I hate?" lololol.

RightSaidJames

• Not quite a lurker
    • RightSaidJames
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:33 »

In my half-awake state this morning I came to the conclusion that the fact I was reading what was clearly strip 3 but in a recent style was due to some caching error. Then I woke up properly and realised that that's not how computers work.

I am looking forward to the QC book much more now that we know the old strips will be redrawn. I know some people argue that we should keep the original style, but that's what the archives are for!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2010, 01:56 »

Jeph has said that only about 30 or so strips will be redrawn, where his originals are not high-enough resolution for printing.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:32 »

That'll be interesting to see the transition then.

I was hoping for this to be some Bizzaro World reboot, Dora Ends up with Steve, Winslow is female, and Marten Ends up with Sven.....

....wait, what.

MIB4u

• Not quite a lurker
  • Someone else's avatar. Somewhere else. I love it.
    • My pictures
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:36 »

Well, I thought it delightful to see Marten staring at Faye's butt again...
somehow... thank you Jeph!

And please do a rerun of TEH shirts...!!
maybe not pretty, but: pictures!! yay...

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:46 »

BOO on redraw! :wink: Although the deja vu was fun for a double take. I understand your mind must a self belittling mush, but that should have been a twiggy Faye! Now don't get me wrong I love me Faye's current  :-o bodacious booty and busty body. Its just after I figured out what was going on my mind got stuck. It can't grasp how you would draw young skinny Faye with your current drawing style  :? , but it begs to know. Call me selfish, but you do spoil us. Take all the time off you need. :-D
She was supposed to be chubby from the beginning, he just couldn't get her to look right.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:35 »

I like the redraw - and recognized it about panel 2 - rest up.  I needed to Friday - no reason you can't do so on the Monday.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

semi1o1

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:55 »

She was supposed to be chubby from the beginning, he just couldn't get her to look right.

I must have missed that somewhere. I always followed the mindset of her increasing weight being proportional to her comfort level. So does that mean Marten originally was supposed to like BIG Butts...and he could not lie? Dora is so wrong for him

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:04 »

I'm pretty sure that, like most men who aren't trapped in a Hollywood cliché, he doesn't have one specific set of measurements which automatically attract his eye to the exclusion of all others.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:59 »

What's this?  A webcomic about a guy who hates his job and listens to indie music all day?  Such a thing could never be interesting and/or insanely popular on the internets! 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:20 »

That'll be interesting to see the transition then.

I was hoping for this to be some Bizzaro World reboot, Dora Ends up with Steve, Winslow is female, and Marten Ends up with Sven.....

....wait, what.
Next, on SciFi...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

marvinkosh

« Reply #21 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:39 »

Loved the redraw, even if I did find myself checking the calender to see if I was still in 2010.

Shok Xone Studios

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:00 »

See, what Jeph should have done is George Lucas-ize the whole thing and have random alien creatures in the the background that weren't there the first time. QC: The Special Editions!
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

DoubleJ

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:32 »

I actually spotted the number right away (which is odd for me at 6:00 AM) but just figured Jeph had a long night and uploaded the wrong image. Then I saw the news post. I just took a half day off on Friday for an anime convention, so I guess Jeph can have a day off too for writer's block :)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:45 »

And please do a rerun of TEH shirts...!!

?  They haven't gone away.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:44 »

Y'know, after looking at #3 v1.0 for comparison, unless Jeph is going to redraw EVERY strip, that QC book is going to be a study in artistic whiplash.
Even if he is, I'm not too thrilled with the idea. Half the fun of reading long-running comics is seeing how the art and writing evolved over time. To a point, at least. Scott Ramsoomair did something similar with VG Cats, but it was a continuous process he started pretty early on, so they still have an obvious progression.

I must not have been paying attention, either; this is the first time I've heard he's going to redraw anything.

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #26 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:46 »

I approve the addition of the red-headed bartender in the second panel.

westrim

« Reply #27 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:52 »

While y'all talk art, I'm having fun with the posters "no fighting, no fucking, no freakouts", "champagne is awful", "restrooms"- wait...

Next, on SciFi...
More wrestling! And after that, supernatural bullshit (though they sort of already had that)! Because now it's "SyFy"!

See, what Jeph should have done is George Lucas-ize the whole thing and have random alien creatures in the the background that weren't there the first time. QC: The Special Editions!

And Faye wouldn't have shot first.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #28 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:59 »

I wonder if the redraws will go all the way up to #110.

Why #110?

Well:
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Thorbard

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #29 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:07 »

The 299/300 break is where the strips reach their current size.

I don't suppose Jeph fancies going that far though.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=299
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=300

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #30 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:26 »

Not random aliens: random people in Victorian garments!
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #31 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:41 »

I said too many when I quoted Jeph as saying 30 strips to redraw.  Here is what he actually wrote in his LiveJournal:

Quote from: Jeph
As you may know, I'm currently working on putting the first QC book together. It will comprise the first 300 comics, in full color, and should be on sale in the first quarter of 2010 if everything goes according to plan. Part of the process of making the book is re-drawing old strips that I'm missing the original, high-resolution artwork for- probably 15 or 20 out of the first 300 comics. The plan is to have the re-drawn comics alongside the original, low-resolution versions, to provide a sort of comparison between what my art looked like then and what it looks like now.

The first five comics are among these, and this morning I finally went back and re-drew the very first Questionable Content comic I ever made. It was a surprisingly emotional experience- revisiting something I did six and a half years ago, reflecting on where I was then and where I am now, and this crazy goddamned career that began as nothing more than a means of blowing off creative steam after long days at MY job as an "office bitch."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2010, 12:51 »

I didn't like the #1 redraw so much, but I really like this one.  Especially the detail of Marten leaning back to catch a look at Faye.  Very nicely done! 

Would've liked to have seen that studded belt and older hairstyle on Faye, though.  But yeah, alll the new detail's really nice! 
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2010, 14:52 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 15 Feb 2010, 14:30 »

Meanwhile in the Mirror Universe

Faye has just killed Steve with a sniper rifle at 1000 yards while her girlfriend Raven acts as lookout
Angus quietly walks behind Marigold as she leads him by his collar
Hannelore and Dora are just getting out of their bed
Pintsize and Winslow are continuing their exploration of Mars
Pizza Girl and Vespa Avenger finally break out of Director Turing's Special Prison with the help pf a mysterious black Cat.
Wil and Penelope, new arrivals in town open a new Coffee Shop
James The Kugai 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #34 on: 15 Feb 2010, 14:47 »

You know what would be the greatest? If the newsposts came with the book as well. I bet if you were to show April 2004 jeph the comic from Friday, he'd never believe it was his.

Quote from: Newspost #108
I am pretty certain this is the most risque QC is ever going to get.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Ventolin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 15 Feb 2010, 15:14 »

When I read today's strip I kind of wondered if I had somehow wandered into a time slip or something.  It literally took me minute or so to figure out what was happening.  I was thinking "Wait, I thought he didn't mind his library job...did I miss something?"

giant_bug

• Emoticontraindication
  • I hope you like Giant Bugs
« Reply #36 on: 15 Feb 2010, 16:26 »

I think it would be kind of jarring for readers of the book who haven't seen the web comic to see the art evolution of the first three hundred strips.

The early strips have a certain charm, but new readers would probably appreciate people with, oh say, necks, realistic fleshtones and irises that don't take up 50% of the eyeball.
Sacrilege, I'm sure.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 15 Feb 2010, 16:32 »

You know what would be the greatest? If the newsposts came with the book as well. I bet if you were to show April 2004 jeph the comic from Friday, he'd never believe it was his.

Quote from: Newspost #108
I am pretty certain this is the most risque QC is ever going to get.
That's okay. I found a cache of some stuff I supposedly wrote fifteen years ago. But I'm pretty sure some evil bastard forged my name onto it, just to mess with me.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #38 on: 15 Feb 2010, 16:56 »

That's okay. I found a cache of some stuff I supposedly wrote fifteen years ago. But I'm pretty sure some evil bastard forged my name onto it, just to mess with me.
I feel that way if I read anything I wrote at uni.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #39 on: 15 Feb 2010, 17:44 »

I can't read anything I wrote in HS - I was taking notes in Norse runes. 

Talk about both being both bored and nerdy! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2010, 19:33 »

I'm glad Jeph is redrawing the old comics, but I wanted more Stormtroopers and Dewbacks!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #41 on: 15 Feb 2010, 20:16 »

When did Pintsize get those jets on his arms?

Or am I thinking of something else?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 15 Feb 2010, 22:48 »

I can't help but wonder how much of Tai's looking has been done in make-out sessions at the dorm and in bars.

Funny—I was just listening to Billy Idol's "Heroin" and then I read Jeph's comments. A coincidence? Of course. I've yet to prefect my ability to control Jeph's mind via my I-Tunes playlists.

Yesterday's poll results:

The Bird     - 4 (12.5%)
The Jughead    - 3 (9.4%)
The Watusi    - 3 (9.4%)
The Robot    - 4 (12.5%)
The Twist    - 2 (6.3%)
The Hustle    - 1 (3.1%)
Ballin' the Jack    - 12 (37.5%)
The Madison    - 3 (9.4%)

Apparently, most of you feel the Hustle is extremely well known—or maybe, like me, you find some of Angus's poses remind you of Saturday Night Fever. Ballin' the Jack wins—even though I tell ya, everyone who was anyone was dancing that in 1942. Or so I'm told.

westrim

« Reply #43 on: 15 Feb 2010, 23:17 »

Aw, the poll doesn't have the most obvious choices- office bitch and SOUSUKE-KUUUUUUN!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 16 Feb 2010, 00:08 »

Definitely the Charles Atlas one.   :-D

Now for the next half year Dora will be playing Matchmaker for Tai

Ans secretly banging her on the side.
James The Kugai 

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 16 Feb 2010, 02:45 »

Billy Idol's "Heroin"

Boooooo, boooooo...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #46 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:03 »

Based on what I saw for today's poll results I thought question was really what Marten's dream job was - not what he was most qualified for....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #47 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:57 »

Does it mark me as a perv that I've actually contemplated sex with an anatomicly correct robot/android? Maybe I've just been reading Chester 5000 XYV too much. Well, it's not like anyone reads Chester. I mean... well, take a look for yourselves if you're unfamiliar. http://jessfink.com/Chester5000XYV/

For a moment, I was thinking that Pintsize's resiliency must be from the fact that he has that illicit military grade chassis, but then I remember that A) that's been repoed by Uncle Sam, and B) Faye tore him apart once. So, what does account for his inhuman (okay, inPC) resiliency to damage? I know you drop kick one of my old PCs and good luck getting it to reboot again, let alone talk to you.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #48 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:44 »

For a moment, I was thinking that Pintsize's resiliency must be from the fact that he has that illicit military grade chassis, but then I remember that A) that's been repoed by Uncle Sam, and B) Faye tore him apart once. So, what does account for his inhuman (okay, inPC) resiliency to damage? I know you drop kick one of my old PCs and good luck getting it to reboot again, let alone talk to you.
Only the laser was taken back (Agent Turing got confused after being attacked by a giant space owl) and Pintsize's original chassis is still in Marten's closet.
Pintsize (and apparently most/all AnthroPCs) is designed with magnetic joints that can be pulled apart relatively easily.

So he probably could survive a few bank-shots off the wall.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

DoubleJ

• Plantmonster
« Reply #49 on: 16 Feb 2010, 10:24 »

Right. Given that they're designed to walk around, hop on and off furniture, etc., they presumably have far sturdier shock protection than your typical desktop PC. They may get by by having a lot more RAM than a non-sentient computer, so when the shock-detector kicks in they don't have to wait for semi-vital processes to come out of swap.

Of course, given that Pintsize has said he needs to breathe to keep his CPU(s?) cool, that would mean that whenever he hits Youtube he starts panting. I should probably stop this line of thought now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up