THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 07:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: favorite B-movies  (Read 15041 times)

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
Re: favorite B-movies
« Reply #50 on: 24 Feb 2010, 16:03 »

thing about Donnie Darko is it cost 4.5 million to make and grossed 4.1 million. I dont consider that to be low-budget. Also it had an all-star cast. I would think of it as more an indie film than a B-movie. One major thing i still think of in B-movies is the acting. The acting has to be either bad or amateurish. Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch are both cult films that were made with extremely low budgets but the acting wasn't bad in either so i consider them to be indie/cult films.

page break for great B-movies
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2010, 16:06 by Aurjay »
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 24 Feb 2010, 17:07 »

Budget to low-budget is relative to the movie (a $20 million action movie would be low budget), but 4 million is pretty low-budget even for a character drama like Darko.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #52 on: 24 Feb 2010, 17:14 »

what about El Mariachi? That shit was filmed for like $400 with one camera and no second takes.

And it became a multi-million dollar franchise.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #53 on: 24 Feb 2010, 17:43 »

they call those "micro-budget"

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #54 on: 24 Feb 2010, 18:05 »

One major thing i still think of in B-movies is the acting. The acting has to be either bad or amateurish. Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch are both cult films that were made with extremely low budgets but the acting wasn't bad in either so i consider them to be indie/cult films.

I've got to disagree with you there. B-movies usually do have bad or amateurish acting but I think that's a side effect of the way they're produced rather than a criteria. For me, b-movie status is all about intent. It should be aiming for a particular genre audience and not be designed to break out of the genre ghetto. So you're right about Donnie Darko, big names and not being a straight genre film mean it's out of the running even if it had cost 50p. It also should be produced for money rather than any kind of artistic statement. Films like The Blair Witch Project have aspirations beyond sitting on the DVD shelves between the other horror films, but a film like Ice Spiders is not going to be winning any awards and it knows it. It's supposed to shift a few units and make a few quid by hitting genre fans' buttons, and that's proper b-movie behaviour.

El Mariachi is a tougher call than Donnie Darko, since it is a straight-up action film. I don't think it's concerned with sticking to genre stereotypes enough to be a b-movie though, it's not an easy enough sell if you see what I mean.

Suburbia's an interesting one since that brings us into the weird world of the exploitation film. That means I can throw in this masterpiece in the 'women in prison' genre:

Well acted and well shot, but still a total exploitation piece for all of its flair (and all the better for it).
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #55 on: 24 Feb 2010, 18:47 »

El Mariachi was an extremely cheaply made film. So much that Rodriguez sold his body for science experiments to fund it. The franchise though was something different. In a way like Evil Dead franchise, except not such a grand scale. The 1st one was very cheap but ever consecutive film cost more. The above poster makes some really good points though about intent. Your right b-movies usually intend to be nothing grand but sometimes do pull it off, i think El Mariachi is perfect example of that. The acting wasn't great at all but still drove to be more and succeeded. 
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #56 on: 26 Feb 2010, 03:12 »

I've got to disagree with you there. B-movies usually do have bad or amateurish acting but I think that's a side effect of the way they're produced rather than a criteria. For me, b-movie status is all about intent. It should be aiming for a particular genre audience and not be designed to break out of the genre ghetto. So you're right about Donnie Darko, big names and not being a straight genre film mean it's out of the running even if it had cost 50p. It also should be produced for money rather than any kind of artistic statement. Films like The Blair Witch Project have aspirations beyond sitting on the DVD shelves between the other horror films, but a film like Ice Spiders is not going to be winning any awards and it knows it. It's supposed to shift a few units and make a few quid by hitting genre fans' buttons, and that's proper b-movie behaviour.

This is really problematic. There's other reasons people make low budget genre films than money; for fun say, or two get up on the first rung of the film business. But mainly I'm not sure why you're saying that having any sort of artistic pretensions should magically make a film not a B-Movie. Look at films like, say,  Zombie or Tombs of the Blind Dead, even early Dario Argento stuff, any of those more atmospheric old european horror flicks. Are they not B-Movies because they try and be a little bit sophisticated? Or what about Japanese films like Tetsuo, the Iron Man or the Guinea Pig series? Back in the day, films like Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man played as B features in the US. B-movies these days, if it's a category that still means anything, are more about playing outside the taste and sensibilities of a mainstream audience. You can have films like Cannibal Holocaust trying to make a serious artistic statement, and it will still be a B-Movie because there is no way most people would even sit through Cannibal Holocaust, let alone enjoy it on any level. In some ways B-Movies have their own aesthetic sensibility, to the extent that you can make films in the B-Movie genre irrespective of their subject matter, hopefully coming up with shit like the better Troma films (Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town, Toxic Avenger) or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. You can even dress up a bigger budget film in B-Movie trappings, and when done well it'svery good. Rocky Horror and Army of Darkness are perfect examples, as are Buckaroo Banzai and pretty much everything Cronenberg and Carpenter did in the eighties. What defines a great B-Movie, I think, is a sense of fun, as in the creators were enjoying what they were doing and trying to overcome the restrictions of a limited budget and often limited talent to create something that they believe would appeal to people with similiar tastes and ideas as themselves. Thus I would say my favourite B-movies are:

Pink Flamingos
I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle
All Hammer Horror Dracula films from Dracula Has Risen From the Grave through to The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires
Bad Taste
The Devils
The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Theatre of Blood (which is more of a sequel in spirit than Dr. Phibes Rises Again)
Witchfinder General
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Tetsuo, The Iron Man

etc.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #57 on: 26 Feb 2010, 05:41 »

Hmm, I explained myself really badly there. I guess I was thinking about funding and intended audience rather than the artistic aims of the filmmakers. So, a film gets funding because genre films have a certain market. Then you have people making fascinating and often really strange films within that genre format that have to tick a certain number of boxes because that's where the funding and distribution comes from. Like Sweet Sweetback's Badasssss Song having several sex scenes because the cash came from backers who were expecting a sex film, not a black action movie. Or Rock 'n' Roll High School. Corman didn't give a shit about The Ramones. He wanted to make a high school music film, and originally pitched Disco High. But one of his staff said that wouldn't work, it needed to be Rock 'n' Roll High School. So they found a band, and then the filmmakers took a piece of cheap exploitation and made a really good comedy out of it. That wasn't the intention at the outset, when the project was begun it was simply a matter of "here's a market, let's exploit it" which is where a lot of b-movies started. But then the filmmakers almost defied this really commercial process and made good films just because they cared about genre films, and you get that great sense of fun with the best of them.

Also, Theatre Of Blood is awesome.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #58 on: 26 Feb 2010, 08:11 »

BLOOD DINER!!

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS!!

MACHINE GIRL!!!!

TOKYO GORE POLICE!!!!!

I haven't watched Neon Maniacs yet but I refuse to accept it's not awesome.

Also that Troma ish I guess.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #59 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:25 »

Where do Black Dynamite and Bitch Slap fit in? One is excellent and the other is good if you happen to be into chicks. 
Theatre of Blood happens to be my favourite Price film, it also happened to be his favourite of his films.  Which is awesome.
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is awesome in name only, watching the actual film was so incredibly boring it hurt. 
Would Big Man Japan be a B-movie?  Because it too, is awesome.  Zebraman as well.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 26 Feb 2010, 21:44 »

Khar voiced my concerns a lot more eloquently than I ever could have.

Really, I could go either way on whether or not you want to consider Rocky Horror to be a true b-movie or not-- I certainly won't argue that it is a black and white thing. In a very real way it's a b-movie parody set to music that happened to be embraced by an awful lot of b-movie fans and lived on in the same sort of venues that b-movies thrive in. If it's not a b-movie, it's certainly a very damn close relative. I guess the whole being an adaptation thing probably counts against it, sort of, but it's still some damn unique territory.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2010, 21:52 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #61 on: 26 Feb 2010, 23:27 »

It's that weird cousin at the family reunion who can't seem to fit in.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #62 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:08 »

I'm very sorry, I'll just go and stick my head into a hive now...
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2010, 03:11 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #63 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:41 »

Looking at Khar's list I'm amazed to see many of the movies that I would choose as well

Hammer's Dracula movies from the Horror of Dracula to Dracula has risen from the Grave (seriously, I love Sir Christopher and PEte Cushing, but Dracula AD1972 really bit)
Hammer's Frankenstein movies
Tremors
Army of Darkness
The Conqueror Worn/Witchfinder General
AIP's Edgar Allen Poe series
Deathrace 2000
Countess Dracula
The Vampire Lovers
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #64 on: 27 Feb 2010, 06:35 »

Ah, Horror of Dracula confused me for a second. Apparently that's the US title?

Although it is a very good adaptation, and Lee is excellent, I didn't include the Hammer Dracula in my list because it doesn't have all the elements and atmosphere in place that really define the series for me, and it just isn't as campy; Cushing and Lee, yes, but that makes it more a 'straight' film in my book...if that makes sense? I discount Brides of Dracula because it has nothing to do with Dracula, and Prince of Darkness because he doesn't speak. Although I consider the high-points of the series generally to be Dracula and Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, they become really enjoyable pieces of kitsch as the whole thing goes on, especially Dracula AD 1972 and The Satanic Rites of Dracula, which are utterly fucking ridiculous. Hippies accidentally resurrect Dracula, who tries to take over the world with bioligical warfare! Why not?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #65 on: 28 Feb 2010, 10:47 »

Horror of Dracula is indeed the North American title.

B Movies are traditionally movies with a lower budget then those of the A list movies, and generally have non-big name actors and directors, so they don't ahve to be campy or balls out crazy to qualify in my book - it helps sometimes.  Dracula AD 1972 and the Satanic Rites of Dracula were just bad movies with both main actors phoning in their performances for a paycheck - and even then still outacting the rest of the cast.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #66 on: 03 Mar 2010, 13:24 »

http://www.shameless-films.com/

These & Fred Williamson films are al my & my fella watch together. Bronx Warriors. Torso. So many dope films.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #67 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:04 »

My word those films look good, I need to investigate this more.

And yeah, Fred Williamson is totally boss. I'm kind of intrigued by that I Was A Teenage Demigod, purely because his character is called Commander Deathblood.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 04 Mar 2010, 13:34 »

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #69 on: 05 Mar 2010, 09:00 »

We`watched one film called Black Gestapo. It was boss. You should watch it .

That Shelock Holmes films is amazing, it's the 2nd best film I've seen this year (The best is the Castle)
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #70 on: 06 Mar 2010, 16:12 »

Sci-Fi channel (or SyFy now I suppose) movies are probably my favorite thing. Top of my list is Grizzly Rage, which is complete with robotic bear paws swiping at people and blood spatter on the camera. Second is Dark Matter, in which Stephen Baldwin can shoot lightning out of his fingertips.

I love you, Sci-Fi channel.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #71 on: 07 Mar 2010, 05:00 »

Liz, please tell me I can watch those things in th UK: Purrrrleeeeeeeese! They sound awesome!

A good B movie test is: does it have the Brother of someone more famous in? Eg; one of the shitter Baldwins? (If you have to ask which the good ones are, don't talk to me) Or, my Favourite, DON SWAYZE. He even played his own bothers double a few times. He looks like a spitting image puppet of Patrick. He is dope.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0842023/

Get passed all the pretty cool TV work & just look at the names of some of his films! Oh My Days.

W.A.R: Women Against Rape
Kinda stands out....

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #72 on: 07 Mar 2010, 07:41 »

Apparently Grizzly Rage is on YouTube in ten parts, here's the first. The quality isn't great at all, but I am pretty sure you'll still get the full terrible effect of the movie. EDIT: there appears to be a bit missing between parts one and two, but you don't really miss any of the story. Stupid person uploading the movie...

This site http://www.movies-links.tv/movies/dark_matter/ has a couple links for Dark Matter, don't know if you can access them over in Europe land. Hopefully something works!
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2010, 07:49 by Liz »
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #73 on: 07 Mar 2010, 16:54 »

Shameless looks pretty damn awesome just based on the fact of Killer Nun. I'd forgotten that film.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #74 on: 07 Mar 2010, 19:18 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up