• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is Dora Pregnant?

NO! NO! A Thousand Times NO!
- 11 (18.3%)
No; c'mon, that'd be too soap opera-ish.
- 16 (26.7%)
No, she's just having mood swings due to new birth control meds.
- 1 (1.7%)
No, she's just going through Menopause a bit early.
- 1 (1.7%)
Well, there WAS that one time where Marty didn't use a condom...
- 3 (5%)
Yes - but it's not Marten's baby!
- 4 (6.7%)
It's all Pintsize's fault.
- 24 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT March 8-12 2010  (Read 58146 times)

bicostp

• Beyoncé
Re: WCT March 8-12 2010
« Reply #100 on: 10 Mar 2010, 07:34 »

Uh-oh. Dora blew it. "Look how much better I am at having a social life than you" isn't exactly a good thing to say to someone who's trying to get out of their rut.

Also, a CoD site needs to be made now.

I've got an old copy of FrontPage kicking around somewhere (for making parodies of hilariously bad websites), if you guys post the animated gifs you want on it. Remember the spinning ones that are antialiased for the wrong background color.

douggerel

• Plantmonster
« Reply #101 on: 10 Mar 2010, 08:37 »

Oh boy! Time for Marten to jump in and tell her to stop being irrational!

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #102 on: 10 Mar 2010, 10:16 »

And poll change time:

What else do they need at Coffee of Doom?

Internet Cafe-style workstations    - 4 (6.6%)
The Restaurant idea Dora tweeted about    - 10 (16.4%)
Wide-screen Plasma TV    - 6 (9.8%)
Chocolate Fountain!    - 13 (21.3%)
Bondage gear    - 25 (41%)
Fitness Equipment    - 3 (4.9%)

Total Voters: 61
I didn't vote on this one because there wasn't "Chocolate Fountain and Fitness Equipment". This would have been so great! (and Hannelore's mother would be impressed)

FrontPage
Don't be gross!  :police:

EDIT: now that I think of it, to handle the aesthetic aspects of CoD's website, the right person would be Raven. She's got a sure taste in colors. Now the problem is she probably can't handle CSS.
And I say that as somone who can handle HTML, XHTML, Javascript and CSS, but is pretty incompetent in web design.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 10:53 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #103 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:33 »

Yeesh, I'm surprised at Dora's reaction to that. She presumably knows that Marigold is good with electronics (fixing pintsize after he nearly destroyed himself internally). Dora herself has even said she 'only knows enough to get herself in trouble' which would imply amateur. And yet she goes ballistic and says some stuff that she HAS to know is going to be pretty cutting to Marigold, especially when Marigold didn't say what she did with malice or anything other than simply "Yeah, for someone who isn't a professional web designer this site looks nice."
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

westrim

« Reply #104 on: 10 Mar 2010, 13:25 »

Apparently there is not a website, but there is a webcomic http://www.webcomicsnation.com/deviantyouth/cod/series.php This is getting kind of odd.

I'm surprised that I'm the only one who thinks the CoD site has a menu on it.

shitty latté.
The next board special?

Goddammit, ninja'd...
I think they've already had it, actually.

I though about using some quotes to launch into how much I dislike Dora, but I'll wait until tonight, see if she realizes how much of a bitch she was- then I'll spend half an hour ripping into a fictional character created by someone else with goals in mind I don't know.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 14:44 by westrim »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2010, 13:32 »

Yeesh, I'm surprised at Dora's reaction to that. She presumably knows that Marigold is good with electronics (fixing pintsize after he nearly destroyed himself internally). Dora herself has even said she 'only knows enough to get herself in trouble' which would imply amateur. And yet she goes ballistic and says some stuff that she HAS to know is going to be pretty cutting to Marigold, especially when Marigold didn't say what she did with malice or anything other than simply "Yeah, for someone who isn't a professional web designer this site looks nice."

Actualy, she never commented on how it looked, just on the code.  And though backhanded, Marigold was giving Dora a compliment.  I'm guessing the site didn't look all that good, or Faye wouldn't have brought it up as a bonding attempt in the first place...

But yeah, definitely a "Yeesh" moment.  Maybe the pair of Faye's panties Dora borrowed really are getting in a bunch...
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 13:58 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #106 on: 10 Mar 2010, 13:38 »

Please, Carl-E, "compliment", not "complement". I'm not one to go all spelling-nazi, but that one made me figuratively stumble while reading your post, the emphasis you put on the word making it all the more puzzling.
Since I'm tired, this means I spent about two seconds wondering "a complement to what?"
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 13:44 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #107 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:00 »

Sorry, fixed.  I'm in math, so I spend more time with complements anyway...

So, when do we get a spell checker?  Other than each other, I mean. 

No, wait - spell check wouldn't have caught that one anyway...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #108 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:05 »

Apparently there is not a website, but there isa webcomic http://www.webcomicsnation.com/deviantyouth/cod/series.php This is getting kind of odd.

Fascinating!  If it had gone further than 8 pages in 2006, I wonder who would've gotten a "cease and desist" letter first...

Pity, too, it had potential.  Lots of overlap, though.  I wonder if it was a sincere form of flattery, or truly independent? 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #109 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:13 »

and steal the boy she keeps at arms length but may be the only thing between her and complete self-destruction!
People are not property. Or therapeutic goods.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #110 on: 10 Mar 2010, 14:29 »

and steal the boy she keeps at arms length but may be the only thing between her and complete self-destruction!

Well, it's less like slavery, more like pimping.  With Marten playing the role of the ho. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #111 on: 10 Mar 2010, 16:47 »

Ho, ho, ho. 

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid. 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #112 on: 10 Mar 2010, 17:38 »

That took a few seconds to register, perhaps because I detest that film.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

westrim

« Reply #113 on: 10 Mar 2010, 18:28 »

Sorry, fixed.  I'm in math, so I spend more time with complements anyway...
So, when do we get a spell checker?  Other than each other, I mean.  
No, wait - spell check wouldn't have caught that one anyway...
Hey, so long as you weren't looking for condiments it's fine, don't worry about it.

Fascinating!  If it had gone further than 8 pages in 2006, I wonder who would've gotten a "cease and desist" letter first...
Pity, too, it had potential.  Lots of overlap, though.  I wonder if it was a sincere form of flattery, or truly independent?  
Dunno. Not sure that Jeph's the 'cease and desist' type, at least not unless they started blatantly profiting off of QC Expies. As for flattery/independence, I suppose we'll never know unless we can get a hold of Mcqueen.

:? I don't get it.

Ho, ho, ho.  
You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.  
How about a nice... football?

Detest it!? It's one of the handful of decent, non-syrupy Christmas films out there! What caused you to have such a strongly negative emotional response to it?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #114 on: 10 Mar 2010, 19:01 »

Did Faye know how Dora would react?

She looked taken aback by Dora's reaction in the last panel.

I'd hate to think she planned the whole thing.

Was there more to this on Dora's part than a normal defensiveness loop? Is there some special tenderness about her web design work?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #115 on: 10 Mar 2010, 19:20 »

Detest it!? It's one of the handful of decent, non-syrupy Christmas films out there! What caused you to have such a strongly negative emotional response to it?

I'm sure it's the same thing that killed "It's a Wonderful Life" for me years ago - a ridiculous amount of overexposure! 

But I shouldn't speak for Raoullefere - he can speak for himself. 

Just let me peel off the duct tape...

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #116 on: 10 Mar 2010, 20:29 »

My first BB gun was given to me at the age of four.  I never shot my eye out, but I did experience quite a few ricochets.  The ones from 3-4 feet away felt like hornet stings.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #117 on: 10 Mar 2010, 21:01 »

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #118 on: 10 Mar 2010, 21:44 »

It was better when it was about poop jokes?

Edit:  Oh hey, comic.  Huh.  That's like the first human physical contact she's had in, like, 8 or 10 years.   (waits for someone to link a comic proving me wrong)
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 21:47 by Tuitsuro »

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #119 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:13 »

I see this, head cuddle rabies, and then imagine a sort of weird hug based katamari damaci
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

westrim

« Reply #120 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:13 »

I'm sure it's the same thing that killed "It's a Wonderful Life" for me years ago - a ridiculous amount of overexposure!  
I love intimations of bondage in the evening! And yes, it's suffered overexposure, but objectively you shouldn't let that affect you, unless you hate LOTR and Harry Potter too for their respective overdoses. And It's a Wonderful Life is bad on its own sickeningly syrupy merits.

Edit:  Oh hey, comic.  Huh.  That's like the first human physical contact she's had in, like, 8 or 10 years.   (waits for someone to link a comic proving me wrong)
Jeez, when you give an opening like that, even I  can fill it. It was only about 30 strips ago.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 22:18 by westrim »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #121 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:21 »

Dora in Pissy Mode is teh so uncute - in a cute kinda way.

She made up for it later though.  :)

I wonder just how the CoD site will look after Mari-Bear gets through with it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #122 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:24 »

Edit:  Oh hey, comic.  Huh.  That's like the first human physical contact she's had in, like, 8 or 10 years.   (waits for someone to link a comic proving me wrong)
Jeez, when you give an opening like that, even I  can fill it. It was only about 30 strips ago.

Ah yes, I forgot Angus was her first. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:27 »

Very slick, with the distinct sheen of the hairless chest of the Magical Love Gentleman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #124 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:28 »

Very slick, with the distinct sheen of the hairless chest of the Magical Love Gentleman

*Runs in terror*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

westrim

« Reply #125 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:30 »

Just thought; why is Marigold apologizing? Dora went off the rails, not her. On the other hand, in the second panel she shows some spine, so... I dunno.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #126 on: 10 Mar 2010, 22:48 »

Ouch! Dammit.

I'm not terribly fond of films composed mostly of embarrassing moments and personal disasters. I'm a dab hand at recalling my own—I'd just as soon as not have to deal with Shepherd's, too.

Dora always come through with the nice, doesn't she? And, no, I don't think Faye anticipated the reaction she got, but I'm fairly sure she knew it'd get more than, "Yeah, it does suck, doesn't it?" Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure Marigold can use all the hugs she can get.

And she's apologizing because she upset Dora. Who, in turn, provides an apology of her own. It's called courtesy, and it's the grease that keeps social interaction working. Save the "Humph, she doesn't deserve an apology" for the big things. Or be Faye. Your choice.

P.S. I'm probably riding Faye too hard, but she's really irritated me these last few comics. Amazin' what an unreal gel can manage, wot?
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 22:51 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #127 on: 10 Mar 2010, 23:04 »

If you'll apologize for running over someone's toe by accident, doesn't it also make sense to apologize when you run over their feelings by accident?

Marigirl didn't do anything wrong, but if she didn't intend to hurt Dora that's all the more reason to be sorry that she did.

Would "Cuddle Rabies" be a good band name?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #128 on: 10 Mar 2010, 23:24 »

If Dora was older, I'd swear she was going through The Change or something.

Oh dear God please do NOT let her be PREGNANT.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

« Reply #129 on: 10 Mar 2010, 23:54 »

I'm not terribly fond of films composed mostly of embarrassing moments and personal disasters. I'm a dab hand at recalling my own—I'd just as soon as not have to deal with Shepherd's, too.
Dora always come through with the nice, doesn't she? And, no, I don't think Faye anticipated the reaction she got, but I'm fairly sure she knew it'd get more than, "Yeah, it does suck, doesn't it?" Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure Marigold can use all the hugs she can get.

And she's apologizing because she upset Dora. Who, in turn, provides an apology of her own. It's called courtesy, and it's the grease that keeps social interaction working. Save the "Humph, she doesn't deserve an apology" for the big things. Or be Faye. Your choice.

P.S. I'm probably riding Faye too hard, but she's really irritated me these last few comics. Amazin' what an unreal gel can manage, wot?
Ah. Well, that's reasonable.

...Faye? I don't see how Dora was responding to Faye at all. It was all 3rd panel Marigold ("ooh we hit a nerve" notwithstanding, that is clearly what set Dora off). And that "coming through with the nice" is exactly my problem with her. She shows an incredibly nasty, vindictive, jealous personality that is clearly under how she usually appears- but a strip or 5 later it's all hunky-dory again. This, the intro for Cosette... you and Jeph may be fine with it, but it disturbs me greatly. Also (read here, Is it cold), there's courtesy and then there's reflexive apologizing and putting yourself down, which is what Marigold did and has done before. She didn't say anything dumb, she made a truthful, accurate, and not at all hurtful statement- complimentary even. It was solely on Dora. She threw herself in Marigold's bike path (to stretch the running over a toe metaphor). If Marigold had the spine in the 1st panel that she showed in the second, her response would have been very different- defense, not prostration. On Dora, it's not that this is a big thing, it's that it's yet another thing.

...Damit, I was worried I'd do this.

Well, on to Faye. Since she's grown so much I find it much easier to forgive her, especially since it seemed like she was taking to heart what Angus said.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 00:05 by westrim »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #130 on: 11 Mar 2010, 00:14 »

Not to worry, I hear that goes away after nine months or so.

westrim

« Reply #131 on: 11 Mar 2010, 00:25 »

Not to worry, I hear that goes away after nine months or so.
The parasite may be expelled from the body, but in most cases you are legally obligated to care for it for the next 18 years:-o

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #132 on: 11 Mar 2010, 00:37 »

Cuddle Rabies sounds like something that would be dangerously easy to spread, and if, like regular rabies, it doesn't go away, just get worse... you'd basically have a really weird zombie apocalypse on your hands.  With, as Blackjoker said, possible Katamari overtones.  Only instead of trying to build onto the pile you're trying to escape it...

OK, show of hands: Who else would totally play that if it were a game?

Back onto the subject of coffeeofdoom.com, the placeholder page got me to thinking that we may be crossing over into a new era of bad web design.  Gone are the days of marked-up-by-hand linear pages with noisy backgrounds and a lot of centered text and copy that so desperately wants to be a digital brochure.  Today's Web design wannabes have tools like Drupal and WordPress but no clue how to use them beyond the basics.  No idea how to customize anything.  So we end up with sites that use the default theme, clean and neat but stark and generic looking and totally inappropriate for the subject matter.  In other words, the exact opposite extreme.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #133 on: 11 Mar 2010, 00:44 »

She shows an incredibly nasty, vindictive, jealous personality that is clearly under how she usually appears- but a strip or 5 later it's all hunky-dory again.
Those outbursts don't reflect her personality. Consider how a fundamentally nasty, vindictive, jealous person would have treated Faye. It wouldn't have involved employing her, sponsoring a sculpture to improve her mental health, or pushing her to get to the gym.

I respect Dora for having the insight to realize in hindsight that she was letting her insecurities run her, and for trying to make amends.

(Substitute for "respect" whatever word is appropriate to use for people who don't exist).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #134 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:04 »

The parasite may be expelled from the body, but in most cases you are legally obligated to care for it for the next 18 years:-o

Given the pace at which this comic progresses, the pregnancy itself would take the next 18 years!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #135 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:09 »

...Faye? I don't see how Dora was responding to Faye at all. It was all 3rd panel Marigold ("ooh we hit a nerve" notwithstanding, that is clearly what set Dora off). And that "coming through with the nice" is exactly my problem with her. She shows an incredibly nasty, vindictive, jealous personality that is clearly under how she usually appears- but a strip or 5 later it's all hunky-dory again. This, the intro for Cosette... you and Jeph may be fine with it, but it disturbs me greatly. Also (read here, Is it cold), there's courtesy and then there's reflexive apologizing and putting yourself down, which is what Marigold did and has done before. She didn't say anything dumb, she made a truthful, accurate, and not at all hurtful statement- complimentary even. It was solely on Dora. She threw herself in Marigold's bike path (to stretch the running over a toe metaphor). If Marigold had the spine in the 1st panel that she showed in the second, her response would have been very different- defense, not prostration. On Dora, it's not that this is a big thing, it's that it's yet another thing.

Faye set the confrontation up. Marigold would never have gone to the website, or, if she happened upon it by accident, have likely kept her mouth shut if Faye hadn't been asking her opinion. I suppose I should have said "responding to Faye's tactic of needling Dora by using Marigold."

I have to go with Is it cold. I've known quite a few insecure people, and most of them don't let things go or, god forbid, admit they were wrong, and that's basically what Dora's doing in panel 2. Dora has these switches that bring out that behavior, but it's not the core person she is—it's more like a suit of armor she put on a long time ago (Thanks, Sven, and Bianchi Mom and Dad!) and can't get out of. She said something about needing therapy and  probably does. But I balance that with these behaviors. She tries to help out when she can, she doesn't hold grudges, she defends her friends, and, best of all, she's not addicted to the "I told you so" that it would have been so very easy to use on Faye after the Sven affair blew up; when better to be vindictive? I don't think Dora's a saint by any means, but she is a nice person.

On the other hand, Faye knows how Dora reacts and has to have some idea of what her triggers are, and I think it's driving her a little squirrelly not to be able to tear into Marigold the way she does everyone else. But again, I think I'm painting her as too much of a Machiavelli. At least I hope so. There's not much worse than someone who enjoys setting up conflicts, then standing on the sidelines and watch the fur fly. But hopefully Faye was trying to engage Marigold in Faye's idea of a 'group' activity.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2010, 02:14 by raoullefere »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #136 on: 11 Mar 2010, 04:16 »

So... do we mention anything about that other, not-as-well-drawn comic with too much drama and toy obsession?

Sure we can bring it up - it's not like it's the first time they've shown up here. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

SigPig

• Plantmonster
  • What?!?
« Reply #137 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:48 »

So... do we mention anything about that other, not-as-well-drawn comic with too much drama and toy obsession?

Sure we can bring it up - it's not like it's the first time they've shown up here. 

Huh. That comic looks a little too familiar to this one.  The only difference seems to be the artwork (To which Jeph's is definately superior) and the names.

douggerel

• Plantmonster
« Reply #138 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:42 »

Jeez, with Hannelore and now Marigold hangin' around, CoD should be called "The Coffeehouse of Misfit Girls."

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #139 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:50 »

"...Misfit Girls."

That IS Doom. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #140 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:54 »

Faye set the confrontation up.

<snip>

...I think I'm painting her as too much of a Machiavelli. At least I hope so. There's not much worse than someone who enjoys setting up conflicts, then standing on the sidelines and watch the fur fly. But hopefully Faye was trying to engage Marigold in Faye's idea of a 'group' activity.

I really think you were.  This was more of a chance encounter - Faye was just trying to entertain Marigold with something she could relate to, and Dora reacted poorly, and then apologized. 

Just more character insights, people!  Quit reading grand motives into everyday occurances, OK?  Save that for Penny&Aggie...

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #141 on: 11 Mar 2010, 07:28 »

wtf, dora.

someone needs to unscrew her head and shake the bullshit out of her thinking hole.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

westrim

« Reply #142 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:51 »

She shows an incredibly nasty, vindictive, jealous personality that is clearly under how she usually appears- but a strip or 5 later it's all hunky-dory again.
Those outbursts don't reflect her personality. Consider how a fundamentally nasty, vindictive, jealous person would have treated Faye. It wouldn't have involved employing her, sponsoring a sculpture to improve her mental health, or pushing her to get to the gym.

I respect Dora for having the insight to realize in hindsight that she was letting her insecurities run her, and for trying to make amends.

(Substitute for "respect" whatever word is appropriate to use for people who don't exist).
That's why it's 'underlying'. She suppresses it mightily since she'd rather be nice (not three strips ago she was helping Marigold out of her shell), but occasionally her default personality kicks to the surface. And I wouldn't call them outbursts- she had a good while to think about how to ask Marten about the girl that asked him out, then did so in pretty much the worst way possible. Premeditated ambush, there.

Given the pace at which this comic progresses, the pregnancy itself would take the next 18 years!
Snrkt!  :lol:

Faye set the confrontation up. Marigold would never have gone to the website, or, if she happened upon it by accident, have likely kept her mouth shut if Faye hadn't been asking her opinion. I suppose I should have said "responding to Faye's tactic of needling Dora by using Marigold."

I have to go with Is it cold. I've known quite a few insecure people, and most of them don't let things go or, god forbid, admit they were wrong, and that's basically what Dora's doing in panel 2. Dora has these switches that bring out that behavior, but it's not the core person she is—it's more like a suit of armor she put on a long time ago (Thanks, Sven, and Bianchi Mom and Dad!) and can't get out of. She said something about needing therapy and  probably does. But I balance that with these behaviors. She tries to help out when she can, she doesn't hold grudges, she defends her friends, and, best of all, she's not addicted to the "I told you so" that it would have been so very easy to use on Faye after the Sven affair blew up; when better to be vindictive? I don't think Dora's a saint by any means, but she is a nice person.

On the other hand, Faye knows how Dora reacts and has to have some idea of what her triggers are, and I think it's driving her a little squirrelly not to be able to tear into Marigold the way she does everyone else. But again, I think I'm painting her as too much of a Machiavelli. At least I hope so. There's not much worse than someone who enjoys setting up conflicts, then standing on the sidelines and watch the fur fly. But hopefully Faye was trying to engage Marigold in Faye's idea of a 'group' activity.
So you think Faye is a Machiavellian asshole, other people think Angus is- I forget the line on Angus, but they don't like him, and I'm sure that someone doesn't like Marten or Hannelore or some other character. Okay. I guess for me the character that doesn't work is Dora.

Muirghiel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #143 on: 11 Mar 2010, 10:59 »

I think you lot are over-analyzing.  Faye makes fun of stuff. It's how she keeps her sheilds up without risking a lawsuit for battery and assault.  That and a quaint 2001 website is enough to many anyone giggle these days. 

Dora, however, didn't make the snarky comment she usually does.  And she's being awful cuddly.  Which means she's either PMSing or...

No.  No.  Surely you haven't, Jeph!  Are you trying to tell us sometihng?  Could your creative genius really throw us for a loop this big?

I'll be watching Dora's breasts to see if they get any bigger, and her hips to see if they get rounder.  And her belleh, to see if anything starts trying to claw its way out.
Right or wrong [...] It's just something we do, like staring at Muirghiel's bouncing tits

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #144 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:55 »

I think you lot are over-analyzing. 

No.  No.  Surely you haven't, Jeph!  Are you trying to tell us sometihng?  Could your creative genius really throw us for a loop this big?

I'll be watching Dora's breasts to see if they get any bigger, and her hips to see if they get rounder.  And her belleh, to see if anything starts trying to claw its way out.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #145 on: 11 Mar 2010, 13:06 »

she had a good while to think about how to ask Marten about the girl that asked him out, then did so in pretty much the worst way possible. Premeditated ambush, there.
That is a good point.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #146 on: 11 Mar 2010, 13:12 »

Murghiel!  Long time no see you and the tits!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #147 on: 11 Mar 2010, 15:30 »

I can watch them bounce all day...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #148 on: 11 Mar 2010, 17:10 »

New Poll will be up for the weekend. Meantime:

www.coffeeofdoom.com  has...
...a complete menu (scanned in on PhotoShop)    - 4 (7.7%)
...annoying animated GIF files    - 5 (9.6%)
...a mapper function that never seems to work    - 4 (7.7%)
...LOTS of dead links    - 11 (21.2%)
...a MIDI file of Slayer    - 14 (26.9%)
...annoying Google Ad code    - 1 (1.9%)
...nothing, it's not a real site (DUH!)    - 13 (25%) (heh, right)

Total Voters: 52

And now, the burning question we'll all be asking ourselves until Monday (or beyond if Jeph doesn't update after getting back from cross-country travel)...
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #149 on: 11 Mar 2010, 17:14 »

So you think Faye is a Machiavellian asshole, other people think Angus is- I forget the line on Angus, but they don't like him, and I'm sure that someone doesn't like Marten or Hannelore or some other character. Okay. I guess for me the character that doesn't work is Dora.
Oh, Faye works fine for me. This, in fact, seems to me to be how she works. She's made some progress lately, so now she has to take a little step back. And, like I said, I know I'm reading too much into what was probably mostly coincidence. But I also think there's a touch of what I'm talking about, probably in an undercurrent, in her unreal head.

I think you lot are over-analyzing.
Oh, yes. Isn't it nuts?

Good to see you on again, Muirghiel. Da Bounce is back.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up