THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 15:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Farcry 3  (Read 22694 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Farcry 3
« Reply #50 on: 12 Oct 2013, 21:45 »

I finally picked Farcry 3 back up.  I was last at finding and saving Oliver and I am now just entering Hoyt island.  Its been a crazy ride, literally.  I kind of feel like I really don't control my destiny in this game.  Jason's reactions and such really don't reflect how I feel.  It seems to really be about going native, getting lost in the jungle (figuratively), and going deeper into the rabbit hole (of madness) and I can see the correlation with the Alice in wonder land quotes strewn all around the main quest's loading screens.  I often wonder how I would react and cope with what has happened, and
(click to show/hide)

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #51 on: 13 Oct 2013, 02:08 »

The game is absolutely bonkers, and I loved that about it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:10 »

Is it weird that I don't connect with my "friends" in Farcry 3. Daisy is bland and I know nothing (she seems like the most caring though, like the team mom). Liza (your girlfriend) is more concerned about her plans and ambition than what you want.  She does seem to miss you and worry about you as the game goes on.
(click to show/hide)
Oliver is a stoner burnout punk I just want to punch in the face whole.  Keith is that overly macho douche always trying to start a fight in a club/bar, ready to take on wall-street.
(click to show/hide)
Grant is that typical guy who was in the army reserves and thinks he's fucking Rambo, always wants you to buy the beer too.
(click to show/hide)
  Riley I know the least about.  Seems to be the timid one of the group, doesn't really speak up or stand up for himself, and would sooner to turn and run at the first sign of trouble.  Like Chucky Finster from "Rugrats."

The game hasn't really tried to make me like these people.  There's hardly any character development giving you the "want" to save them.  Basically told they are your friends, you like them, save them.  Making the big decision that I know is coming at the end at some point less sympathetic towards them because there was no establishment of a relationship between the friends and the player.  Who knows maybe I'll be surprised once I get to the end, but I doubt it.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

ackblom12

« Reply #53 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:20 »

The problem with the characters and story is that it is basically poorly written satire. Rich white douche bros and broettes using an indigenous population for their own entertainment and power fantasy. It's not terribly subtle if you examine it with satire in mind.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #54 on: 15 Oct 2013, 01:44 »

Emphasis on poorly written.  :-P  Am I just expecting too much of my games? 

The flash backs in Bangkok seems that way as far as dudebros using the indigenous people for entertainment only to be bit in the ass in the Rook Islands.  Once Jason gets on the island and has his mission it seems to be less about that and more about getting lost in the jungle, PTSD, going crazy after all the drugs and killing you do and coming to love it. Its a good idea to show how real people react in a situation like this rather than running around Rambo invincible with no psychological affects shown in other FPS.  Sure you have your rambo moments but you can see the effect of it all on the character.  The character is more real in that aspect, compared to other games unsympathetic "I'm the ultimate badass, sexual tyrannosaurs" characters you play.  Combine that with characters you connect with and it could have been one of the greatest games. 

Don't get me wrong, the game play is awesome.  Love stealthily clearing out pirate bases, all the machete attacks are amazing, the scripted levels are fun and can be a bit flexible, the platform mini games of the towers are fun with a good incentive for doing them (free guns), hunting has a point to it (more guns and ammo to carry).  The enemies get a bit tough when you encounter the yellow PMC and strategy can be implemented.  The Red Pirates helped prepare you for them. Vaas is the most interesting character (oddly enough he was never planned until the VA auditioned for it and went the other way than what ubisoft wanted).  Willis is a close second but needed more screen time to build on.  Hoyt is uninteresting as the big bad (so far).  Dennis seems like a good idea for a character that isn't really built on (being kind of the Obi-wan character is his trope but seems like ubi hinted at a more robust character for him).  Same with Citra. Again, don't get me wrong, its a lovely game but the development of the ancillary characters was a missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2013, 02:43 by LeeC »

ackblom12

« Reply #55 on: 15 Oct 2013, 03:05 »

Nah, you're not expecting too much. Game developers and publishers seriously need to step up their game when it comes to writing and there is some evidence they're beginning to, especially in the indie scene. Obsidian is the gold standard, partially because they have actual writers who are willing to tackle some pretty intense subjects with proper respect. Bioware is the closest competition they got and Bioware is a bit hit and miss at times, especially with dialogue. They tend to write some of the best and worse stuff.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:08 »

Regarding the indie scene, I adored the writing on Bastion.

But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if you already knew that.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #57 on: 15 Oct 2013, 04:55 »

The Kid thought it amusing that Masterpiece was commenting on Bastion again. Then again, he certainly agreed with him.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #58 on: 15 Oct 2013, 05:43 »

<3

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #59 on: 23 Nov 2013, 00:13 »

finally got around to finishing Far Cry 3.  I knew about the choice in the end but the way they went about it, I wasn't expecting that.  All in all I give the game an 4/5.  It was fantastically done with a couple of interesting characters but there was a huge disconnect between Jason and the player IMHO.  Definitely one of those games that show you the dark side.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #60 on: 24 Nov 2013, 13:33 »

Finished Blood Dragon.  Was hilarious!  More fun than FC3 IMHO.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #61 on: 04 Dec 2013, 19:37 »

Most of the story of FC3 was kinda on the meh side, but I don't think anyone here who's played it would argue that Vaas absolutely stole the damned show every time he appeared. I particularly loved that one peek-a-boo he did (you know the one I'm talking about). This game needed more Vaas.

Also the drug scenes were nice and trippy, especially that first one for the doctor.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #62 on: 04 Dec 2013, 20:08 »

I would have been happy if Vaas took over and became the big bad.

Lildirt

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • "I am nothing but a humble student of life."
    • Xenith
« Reply #63 on: 05 Dec 2013, 19:11 »

I, personally, paid for this game at the $60 price tag and don't regret it at all.
It's one of those better games out there. It ranks up there with Dishonored, for me. The gameplay is amazing and the graphics are stunning, I felt like I was there. The storyline is meh, but it's all worth it when you get to certain scenes, like burning the drug farm! :)

It's a bit heavy with the dubstep, but you won't realize it (or it'll be really fitting with what you're doing).
"Welcome .. to the Velvet room .."

TACTICAL FLUTING!

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #64 on: 05 Dec 2013, 21:09 »

I would have been happy if Vaas took over and became the big bad.

Feckin' A. The character didn't get nearly what he should have gotten. The final battle with him is just. . . it was one of the better pieces of videogaming I've seen in ages.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #65 on: 15 Jul 2014, 00:14 »

Blood Dragon.

Fuck yeah.

(p.s. thank god you can pull your arrows out of the dragon you're fighting)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #66 on: 16 Jul 2014, 01:06 »

Right.

Blood Dragon was fun!

Probably should have been a little shorter though.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #67 on: 16 Jul 2014, 01:07 »

How so?

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #68 on: 16 Jul 2014, 06:28 »

Just overstayed its welcome a little, and I'm not sure what they could have added to fix that. So they should have cut at least one garrison.

Carlisle and Sloan's encounter's felt like slightly missed opportunities, though I did at least chuckle.

The TVs imply that there's something you'll get for shutting them all off. As far as I can tell it was just the achievement; I was hoping for another amusement, like a Robocop-style commercial or something.

On a side note
(click to show/hide)
. Not really a bad thing, just surprising.

Blood Dragons become too negligible, but considering how they work, without adding something like a jetpack (Yahtzee totally called that one) I don't know how to tweak it to make it more fun, instead of just obnoxious.

The running dead never spawned an entry in my data thingie. I was disappointed by that.

I was pleasantly surprised that there were more animals than just the dozenish you need for the upgrades and achievement.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jul 2014, 06:31 »

Also fuck those end credits, I don't know why I waited them out I just wanted to kill / die by the time they were over. Jesus.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #70 on: 16 Jul 2014, 09:58 »

I must say, I haven't played Blood Dragon, but from what I read you mirror a similar sentiment I've felt playing through any of recent Ubisoft titles.

Too many fucking garrisons / radio towers / whatever else you need to do in any of the Ubisoft games to unlock an area or finish it or something. I wish they'd just make some more compelling scripted missions instead of sticking to one formula and repeating it ad nauseum. I mean, the wildlife encounters were fun when I played them in vanilla Far Cry 3, but again, I felt like they overstayed their welcome, as have infiltration missions.

I think it's a systematic mistake Ubisoft is doing in their open world games (not speaking for Watch Dogs, since I haven't played that.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up