THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: tell me about the weirdest coworker you have ever had  (Read 13897 times)

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
Re: tell me about the weirdest coworker you have ever had
« Reply #50 on: 31 Mar 2010, 08:09 »

One would think, right?

Nope, they want to "give her a chance" and "be fair".  They're also worried about "Who else would we get to do sales?"

Whatever.

That's the simple answer.  The more complex answer is that her boss isn't in this area.  Big company, lots of offices.  She works in our office but not for our office.  The guy that she works for jumped a bunch of people for promotion with some promise of "Let me do things my way for eighteen months and if I don't deliver, fire me.  But you have to let me do things my way."   I'm not sure if that's the exact terms of his deal, but it is basically that.  The attitude of our company president is essentially "He hired her, it's his problem.  He'll either deliver or he won't.".   My boss is on to her (I think.  He's much better mannered than I am so he doesn't come right out and say she sucks) but can't do anything.  We've been told to support her and give her whatever she wants because the company president is giving her boss enough rope to hang himself with.

Again: Whatever.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #51 on: 31 Mar 2010, 08:15 »

Well, I guess I'd rather people like that get fired for major fuck-ups that put entire companies in jeopardy, than get fired for being shitty at their job. Just as long as I don't have to work with them!

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2010, 09:31 »

I'm pretty much the opposite.  If people like that are shitty at their job, hopefully that gets noticed and she gets shitcanned before she blows some major contract and puts the company at risk or costs the company big bucks.  And the "Let's give her a chance" bullshit is just that: bullshit.  She's had her chance.  She's already proven herself incompetent as well as a liar and generally unpleasant person to work with.  Why is she still working there?

That's rhetorical, by the way.  Wet Helmet, I feel your pain.  The more time you spend in the work force, the greater the odds that you've worked with assholes like this, and I've definitely met my share.  If they fuck up, whatever.  But if they fuck up and it affects me, my job, my company, we have a problem.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #53 on: 31 Mar 2010, 10:03 »

later, he stripped the skin off it and turned the bones into a necklace

This isn't 'the most awesome co-worker you've had' JC. Jesus.

it's not news you want to hear when you're trapped in an elevator with him on a construction site with three other people on it and he's high on coke
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: 31 Mar 2010, 12:30 »

No seriously, this dude sounds fantastic.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #55 on: 01 Apr 2010, 05:32 »

I just saw a funny comment on my friend's Facebook status that is vaguely related:

You know you work in an awesome place when you can't find a conference room to play D&D in because all the conference rooms are taken up by other people playing D&D.

(he's a videogame designer)

ADDITION: Come to think of it, his feed is just full of gold-

The checkout person was very confused by the bald man buying ten pairs of bunny ears.

Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to pull pictures off of celebrity Twitters and see who doesn't realize that iPhones embed your GPS location in the metadata.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2010, 05:36 by jhocking »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #56 on: 01 Apr 2010, 06:37 »

So that guy I mentioned earlier went into a heil hitler pose, then did the I'm watching you thing with his hands, to me.

Keep in mind I haven't said a full sentence to this guy.

edit: man I don't make clear posts early in the morning
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2010, 17:04 by Zombiedude »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #57 on: 01 Apr 2010, 10:13 »

I work with a girl who legitimately did not know what the Holocaust was. Like, our manager had to take her aside and explain it to her. This girl was twenty years old.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #58 on: 01 Apr 2010, 11:25 »

And here I was feeling bad about not getting people's references to Degrassi.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #59 on: 01 Apr 2010, 12:59 »

I work with a girl who legitimately did not know what the Holocaust was. Like, our manager had to take her aside and explain it to her. This girl was twenty years old.

I was once in a job interview where I mentioned something about paleontologists, and the interviewer asked what that is. Inwardly I was somewhat taken aback but whatever, I started to explain that a paleontologist is basically an archeologist who looks for dinosaurs, and she asked what an archeologist is.

I dunno, I guess those are kind of big words, but seriously who doesn't know what an archeologist is? Haven't you seen Indiana Fucking Jones?
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2010, 13:52 by jhocking »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #60 on: 01 Apr 2010, 13:02 »

Indiana Jones and Jurassic Park explain both of those clearly. Come on now.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

yellowfoliage

• Obscure cultural reference
  • it's THE aspect
« Reply #61 on: 01 Apr 2010, 16:59 »

This is not so much about a weird co-worker as a weird work experience. I just took a training module on the computer for my new job (I do tech support out of a call center). The purpose of the module was to learn how to keep out network secure, pretty basic stuff. But instead of giving you a quiz at the end, it makes you play a game where you have to dodge fireballs from an angry dragon (who presumably wants into out network?) by demonstrating your security knowledge. I can't imagine how the money spent developing this must have been explained.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up