THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Religious question  (Read 2770 times)

ThePianoMan

• Larger than most fish
Religious question
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:42 »

What's a way to say, "I've renounced my religion," that doesn't sound melodramatic as hell? Last year in college I was a fairly hardcore Christian, and between then and now I've become an atheist; anyone have advice on the best way to mention this without looking like a douche? I'm not looking to bring it up to everyone, but I need something to say when people ask.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Religious question
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2010, 11:24 »

"That?  Oh, I no longer believe.

Anyway, [talk about something else]""
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:03 »

I would probably recommend something like "I don't consider myself Christian anymore," and leave it at that. This makes it entirely about yourself and your relationship with the religion, and not a comment on anything that anyone else does or doesn't believe. It will probably make people less defensive, and the non-committal nature of the statement indicates that you're not looking for a fight or a long conversation about how you came to where you are.

As Paul suggested, try to change the subject if you don't want to go into it, but if you're are asked what you do consider yourself, or whether that means you no longer believe in God, you can always just say "that's personal, and I'd rather not discuss it right now."

Some people are going to push, and some of your former fellow members of the Campus Christian Fellowship, or whatever, may be very distressed and try to persuade you to come back. If you choose to discuss it with them, just be aware that you're unlikely to convince them of anything, and they're probably just going to become more distressed and more vehement if you try to tell them why you became an atheist. So, if you don't want to get drawn into long conversations about religion, the best thing to do is to make simple statements and then move on. Remain friendly and calm, and try to talk about other interests you still share with them. If they won't change the subject, just say you've got to get to class, or do some homework, and get out of there.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2010, 12:31 »

slash your wrists and cum/shit on the bible and post it on youtube/facebook
also israel

Ptommydski

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2010, 12:36 »

I'd just keep it to myself. Whether you believe or not, I think that's the best thing to do.

Zingoleb

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2010, 13:33 »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2010, 14:53 »

Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Zingoleb

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2010, 16:17 »

At first I was like, "Oh hey this dude don't sound so bad" and then I got to  the suicides.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2010, 19:31 »

I'd just keep it to myself. Whether you believe or not, I think that's the best thing to do.

This. Really, religion is a personal thing. If someone asks you directly, just tell them that you just don't believe anymore. You may get questions of why, but as long as you answer with a level head, I think things should be ok. If you don't feel like telling people why, just say it's because of personal reasons. You don't have to explain your beliefs to anyone unless you want to, so don't feel pressured to do so. Now, of course, if someone else is being a douche about it, well, obviously they aren't worth talking to.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

nufan

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2010, 05:36 »

I'd say I've become apostate:

a·pos·tate   [uh-pos-teyt, -tit]
–noun
a person who forsakes his religion, cause, party, etc.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:27 »

What's a way to say, "I've renounced my religion," that doesn't sound melodramatic as hell?

Unless you are directly asked, saying anything about it at all sounds both melodramatic and like you are crying for attention. If anyone asks what religion you are, just say "I'm an atheist." This is not a complicated thing.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2010, 08:58 »

If you're really just interested in minimizing awkward pauses then you should just keep it vague and be mindful of the context and what exactly they're asking. If everyone is straight up talking about religion and politics already (which, hey, is entirely possible, especially in college) that's one thing, but in a lot of casual contexts people aren't truly that interested in your beliefs but are just making conversation and may not have considered the possibility you're an atheist. Don't forget that a church is an awful lot more to many people than just a building and that the local congregation represents the widest social circle many people will have. If someone asks you "So what church do you go to?" they may very well just be fishing around for common acquaintances. Dropping the "I do not believe in your god" bomb when they really just want to know f you're related to someone with the same last name from their church can get awkward. A lot of the time it's just easier if you say "I don't really practice" or just tell them what church (if any) your family attended while growing up. Follow that up with a deft subject change and it should be a non-issue with most people. Honestly, unless we're dating or something I just usually tell people I was raised Catholic. That it didn't take isn't really anything most people need bother with.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2010, 09:03 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Ptommydski

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2010, 13:33 »

Fundamentalist, devout, extreme anything is usually some bullshit because the world is a collection of individuals. If somebody asks you and presses the point, just say that you're not entirely sure about the nature of the universe and thus, can't claim to belong to any conventional group - be it monotheistic or atheist. It's essentially a gigantic, ethereal unknown out there anyhow. You shouldn't be ashamed to say you're still thinking or searching.
Pages: [1]   Go Up