THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the Best Sandwich?  (Read 34119 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: What is the Best Sandwich?
« Reply #150 on: 18 Apr 2010, 14:24 »

CONAN, WHAT IS THE BEST SANDWICH?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women on challah.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #151 on: 18 Apr 2010, 16:57 »

What is that muffaletta thing? It looks like salami, cheese, and a shit-ton of olives stuffed into a sourdough loaf? There's got to be more going on there, though.

Dovey/Johnny how do you do maple carmelized bacon? I would guess you would just fry your bacon, drain the fat, add maple syrup and go but I would hate to waste good maple syrup and bacon by screwing it up. Most things I am willing to gamble away on experiments, but real maple syrup and proper bacon are not things to be squandered.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #152 on: 18 Apr 2010, 17:22 »

What makes it so delicious at the local shop (they don't actually have the olives on it, at least not in that large of a quantity) is the herbs on the bread and the fact that they use garlic mayo on it as well. I don't know whether it's their own sauce that's so good, but it really just goes really well with the rest of the sandwich, I'll investigate more next time I get one.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #153 on: 18 Apr 2010, 17:52 »

James that's exactly it actually. You do the bacon to desired crispness, get all the grease out of the pan, and then put the bacon back in and just use enough maple syrup to coat it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #154 on: 18 Apr 2010, 17:58 »

I had the best sandwich at Earl's once.

This is it: Grilled Chicken and Baked Brie Ciabatta grilled chicken breast, melted brie, roasted apples, spinach, sweet fig jam, garlic mayonnaise, house baked ciabatta.

I went to Earl's and had this sandvich today.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #155 on: 18 Apr 2010, 20:02 »

What makes it so delicious at the local shop (they don't actually have the olives on it, at least not in that large of a quantity) is the herbs on the bread and the fact that they use garlic mayo on it as well. I don't know whether it's their own sauce that's so good, but it really just goes really well with the rest of the sandwich, I'll investigate more next time I get one.

The internet tells me it should have some sort of 'onion salad' in it, which I assume that olive mess is? Can you confirm the presence of 'onion salad' or anything similar for me?
I will look into garlic mayo.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #156 on: 18 Apr 2010, 21:46 »

I'll tell you what's not the best sandwich: anything resembling a lentil "burger"

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #157 on: 18 Apr 2010, 23:07 »

On the subject of "definitely not the best sandwich," I had very high hopes for this burger/sandwich that sounded amazing the other day: a turkey burger (free range & local) with a fried egg, tomato, seasoned fries, and a garlic aioli sauce on top, all within a wheat bun.  Fair warning--turns out that fried egg tastes really strange on a turkey burger, and putting french fries in a sandwich is not nearly as good as the justifiably-more-popular onion ring option.  I was pretty disappointed.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #158 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:23 »

Fuckin' A Dovey, how good is maple-carmelized bacon?

Good enough that it is going to take a Herculean amount of discipline on my part to not include it in every meal I eat, regardless of whether it is appropriate or not.

Elizzybeth, I am not sure if you have had fried egg on burgers before but it is kind of an institution in Australia, and although a fried egg on a turkey burger sounds like it would seriously lack in the flavour department, it seriously adds to a beef or lamb burger, especially if that pattie is homemade and greasy as all get-out.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #159 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:50 »

I had a duck burger the other night. It was pretty fucking awesome. Had an orange preservey kinda sauce and stuff.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #160 on: 19 Apr 2010, 06:42 »

I ate goose last year from a cheap takeaway place in Hong Kong airport. It was fuckin' tasty. Like duck with even more flavour-capturing fat.

It wasn't on a sandwich but man, I'd put it on a sandwich.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #161 on: 19 Apr 2010, 10:31 »

Elizzybeth, I am not sure if you have had fried egg on burgers before but it is kind of an institution in Australia, and although a fried egg on a turkey burger sounds like it would seriously lack in the flavour department, it seriously adds to a beef or lamb burger, especially if that pattie is homemade and greasy as all get-out.

Oh, I believe that, totally.  It was the bland/mealy turkey + bland/mealy fried egg combo that was unfortunate.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 19 Apr 2010, 13:55 »

Good enough that it is going to take a Herculean amount of discipline on my part to not include it in every meal I eat, regardless of whether it is appropriate or not.

TIP FROM A PRO: Put a li'l maple into a risotto with bacon in it. UNGH

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #163 on: 19 Apr 2010, 13:56 »

Just had a cheese bagel with hummus, avocado, and ham. Delicious.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #164 on: 19 Apr 2010, 16:30 »

An excellent breakfast sandwich I had this morning:

Take a biscuit (as in the American quick bread kind), slice it in two, add a hearty slice of warm pork roast (just a simply-reasoned roast will do; I usually only use salt and pepper when I roast pork loin), add plain yellow mustard (I favor organic varieties), and then add some hoisin sauce.

It is surprisingly wonderful.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #165 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:33 »

fried egg on burgers

I have been meaning to ask about these! I'll experiment on my own because it's obviously all common ingredients anyway, but I want to try these and I'm somewhat curious about ratios and doneness. Does a proper fried egg burger have a relatively small (1/4 pounder, tops) patty to balance out with the egg or is the whole thing a monstrously beautiful ode to cardiac arrest? Does the egg need to be real hot and runny so you end up with a delicious mess? Is it meant to be a juicy burger over all or are we talking something more along the lines of a patty melt (Greasy, salty, a bit more done) with the yolk keeping the whole thing from being too dry?
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #166 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:34 »

If you're going to be such a ponce about it you don't get to put a fried egg on your burger.
You get pineapple.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #167 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:37 »

Pfft, these are serious questions! People do ridiculous shit to burgers all the time these days so I want to a good starting point as opposed to just test driving burgers until I'm a fatty.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #168 on: 22 Apr 2010, 15:56 »

I am beginning to think pineapple is good on everything. It's good on burgers, it's good on pizza...seriously. Pineapple is The Best Fruit.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #169 on: 22 Apr 2010, 16:20 »

Here in fish and chips shops we have 'works' burgers which are basically a plain burger (which is hardly plain, it is patty, lettuce, tomato, beetroot, sauce) with pineapple and fried egg. Due to the nature of fish and chips shops the egg is usually cooked all the way through, and without egg rings.
Actually I will go and get one today perhaps and showcase the majesty.

Quote from: BurgerPedia
Australia & New Zealand:
Fast food franchises sell American style fast food hamburgers in both Australia and New Zealand. The traditional Australasian hamburger almost always includes tomato, lettuce, grilled onion, beetroot (canned slices), and meat as minimum, and can optionally include cheese, a fried egg (usually with a hard yolk), bacon, and a grilled pineapple ring. The only condiments regularly used are tomato sauce, which is similar to ketchup but has less vinegar and more sugar, or BBQ sauce. Hamburgers in Australia and New Zealand tend to be less oily and fatty than their US counterparts, and are more likely to include a full salad if available. The McDonalds "McOz" Burger is partway between American and Australian style burgers, having beetroot and tomato in an otherwise typical American burger. Likewise McDonalds in New Zealand created a Kiwiburger which is similar to a Quarter Pounder, but features salad, beetroot and a fried egg. The Hungry Jack's (Burger King) "Aussie Burger" has tomato, lettuce, onion, cheese, bacon, beetroot, egg, ketchup and a meat patty. As with many issues between the two countries there is much debate over whether this burger (with beetroot being the defining factor) is, in fact, an Australian or a New Zealand creation, but the answer remains unclear.

Hamburger meat is almost always ground beef. Outside of fast food restaurants, "home made" style burgers, generally known in Australia as a 'Hamburger with the lot' (if they have "the lot" on them) are usually bought from fish and chip shops.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #170 on: 22 Apr 2010, 16:59 »

Beetroot? I've never had beets, but that is definitely out there for a burger topping. Is that used on other Aussie/NZ dishes frequently?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #171 on: 22 Apr 2010, 17:01 »

Just on every burger and salad sandwich ever.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #172 on: 22 Apr 2010, 17:07 »

Crazy! I can't think of anything that it's on over here. I know people eat them, I just don't know with what.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #173 on: 22 Apr 2010, 19:12 »

Actually I think it's pretty widely recognised as a peculiarly Antipodean burger topping. McDonalds or somebody came out with an "Aussie" burger or some such rubbish recently and one of the main distinguishing features of it was that it contained a slice of beetroot.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #174 on: 22 Apr 2010, 23:13 »

Yeah actually most monolithic burger chains have at some point released an "Aussie" burger, which is a regular burger with some beetroot. Fun fact: I fuckin hate beetroot.

Anyway Alex C I figure it all comes down to personal preference, there are no rules. I.e; if you were eating a fried egg on it's own and you prefer runny yolks, do that for yr burger. Runny yolks tend to freak me out- it tends to drive home that I am eating a chicken embryo- plus I do not enjoy the mess they tend to create, so I always cook my eggs easy over, including when on a burger.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #175 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:20 »

Dovey me too! I gotta have a hard yolk, but it is the sort of thing people give me a hard time for if I ask for it when we're eating out.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #176 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:56 »

Yeah I like over easy & people, apart from my other half, all seem to think this is weird. I don't not think it is weird, not one bit.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #177 on: 23 Apr 2010, 13:40 »

Whenever I am eating out I always get my eggs scrambled because I can never remember what means what and I'm always afraid of getting the runny-yolk eggs by accident. I am OK with runny-yolky if I've cooked it myself but ever since I had a terribly under-done fried egg at a restaurant I can not relax and enjoy a soft yolk that someone else has cooked.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #178 on: 23 Apr 2010, 14:24 »

fucking over easy 4 life. the runnier the yolk the better, although if the whites are runny then i get nauseous.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #179 on: 23 Apr 2010, 14:33 »

It's never occurred to me to worry about my eggs at all.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #180 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:09 »

runny yolks will actually put me off my food and make me feel a little sickly. I don't even have to eat them to feel that way, just seeing the oozy yellow-y orange yolk and smelling it really puts me off. So I generally get scrambled eggs because that breaks up the yolky taste, and then only eat about half the eggs anyway. Ben has his eggs super runny and spreads the yolk all over his toast and it makes me want to vomit everywhere; it is disgusting.

Also, beetroot is delicious, especially on burgers and salad sammiches. I will not hear a bad word against it.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #181 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:11 »

What is this "over-easy" of which you speak?

When I was in America it felt like there were a thousand different ways to eat your eggs. Here, it is poached, boiled (hard or soft), scrambled or fried. There are no sub-categories. I was bewildered by choice in the States.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #182 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:15 »

or scotched.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #183 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:21 »

That is basically boiled with breadcrumbs.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #184 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:24 »

spreads the yolk all over his toast

Yolk on toast is delicious.

Anyway, over easy is simply a fried egg that is fried on both sides but with an intact slightly runny yolk as opposed to being fried on one side only (sunny side up).

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #185 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:27 »

Wow, I thought 'over easy' meant cooked all the way through, according to wiki this is not the case! What a terrible breakfast waitress I must have been all those years!
UK and Europe
Fried eggs are sometimes served on toast, or in a sandwich, often with bacon, sausages,or a variety of condiments. It is also an essential part of the full breakfast commonly eaten in Britain and Ireland. Fried eggs are often served with ham or gammon steak as a popular pub grub meal. They are usually cooked without turning over, in the style Americans call "sunny side up", though the term is not used locally. The egg is cooked on a slow heat as hot fat is splashed onto the top of the egg. This results in a custard-like yolk with a cooked surface.
United States and Canada
North Americans use many different terms to describe fried eggs, including:
A style known simply as 'fried' — eggs are fried on both sides with the yolks broken until set or hard.
'Over well', also called 'over hard' or 'hard' — cooked on both sides until the yolk has solidified.
'Over medium' — cooked on both sides; the yolk is of medium consistency and the egg white is thoroughly cooked.
'Over easy', also called 'over light or runny' — cooked on both sides; the yolk is a thin liquid, while the egg white is partially cooked. "Over easy" fried eggs are also commonly referred to as dippy eggs or dip eggs by Marylanders and by Pennsylvania Dutch persons living in southern Pennsylvania, mainly due to the practice of dipping toast into the yolk while eating.
'Sunny side up' — cooked only on one side; yolk is liquid; the egg white is often still a bit runny as well. This is often known simply as 'eggs up'. Gently splashing the hot cooking oil or fat on the sunny side uncooked white, i.e., basting, may be done to thoroughly cook the white. Covering the frying pan with a lid during cooking (optionally adding a cover and half-teaspoon of water just before finishing) allows for a less "runny" egg, and is an alternate method to flipping for cooking an egg over easy (this is occasionally called 'sunny side down').
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2010, 15:29 by Lunchbox »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #186 on: 23 Apr 2010, 15:46 »

Sunny Side Up and Over Easy are of course properly defined as the two sides of Paul McCartney and Wings's album Back to the Egg.

Doesn't work on CD, though...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #187 on: 23 Apr 2010, 17:41 »

Wow, yeah, I can't be doing with hard yolk really. I mean, it ain't something that would kill me, but runny yolks are a bajillion times better.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #188 on: 23 Apr 2010, 22:45 »

Oh OK, well in that case what I actually meant is I prefer my eggs "over medium" to "over hard"

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #189 on: 29 Apr 2010, 08:34 »

Mom got groceries this morning and man did she ever get groceries. I did her tax return and it was good so she's buying us good food and I was unpacking the bags and found like three kinds of cheeses and meats each. Right now I am doing chevre, montreal smoked meat, and hot salami on bread and it is a good sandwich in the sunshine.

New Thread Sub-Question: What is the best summertime sandwich?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #190 on: 29 Apr 2010, 16:18 »

Without a doubt bocconcini, tomato and fresh basil with olive oil on a really good white roll, left in the fridge for an hour or two so the whole thing is really cold. I used to work at a cafe right on the beach and we pre-made these delicious long Italian rolls every day and I would have one when I'd finished work after it being in the fridge all day and amazing.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #191 on: 29 Apr 2010, 16:41 »

Ally that's exactly what I was planning on posting. Like, exactly.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #192 on: 29 Apr 2010, 16:42 »

Cuban sandwiches are my favorite. A toasted sandwich of ham, turkey, swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard. Even if the sandwich shop doesn't make Cuban sandwiches exactly, I can usually order a ham and cheese with pickles and mustard.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #193 on: 30 Apr 2010, 04:28 »

So I'm on this diet thingy where I can eat as much as I want of certain foods, then I have weigh out everything else, It's has made good sandwiches hard. Here is what I have discovered to be good:

Two sliches of homemade wholemeal bread, Quark super low fat cream cheese, Easy sunnyside down & fried tomatoes (Fried on a really good non stick pan with no fat) & a handfull of rocket, lot's of pepper.

Aces. It is my brunch most days (Breakfast is coffee & fags so I always have a decent something at around 11.30).

Previously my sandwich would have involved lot's of mayo, so it's been hard work.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #194 on: 30 Apr 2010, 04:49 »

Do you like mustard? Even though they are completely different flavors, oddly enough I find that mustard and mayonnaise are pretty much interchangeable as a sandwich topping. As in, any time mayo would taste good in a sandwich, mustard works just as well. The reverse doesn't apply though, so this may just be a result of how much I love mustard.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #195 on: 30 Apr 2010, 05:09 »

It depends on the mustard, I like grainy mustard & proper colmans made from powder, also some french mustard, but that weird hot dog mustard you get is vile & too yellow not be something unnatural...I will have a look to see if mustard is an acceptable topping, the weirdest things are NOT ALLOWED on my diet, but I have lost half a stone in two weeks, so I'm feeling pretty good about it...

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #196 on: 30 Apr 2010, 07:37 »

today my sandwich consisted of seafood cocktail, salad and garlic and herb low fat cream cheese. I made it, then thought about it and decided it was probably a bad decision, but ate it anyway. It was surprisingly tasty.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #197 on: 30 Apr 2010, 13:30 »

I had the best sandwich at Earl's once.

This is it: Grilled Chicken and Baked Brie Ciabatta grilled chicken breast, melted brie, roasted apples, spinach, sweet fig jam, garlic mayonnaise, house baked ciabatta.

I went to Earl's and had this sandvich today.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm gonna back up to this post and say that if you are in a town big enough to support an Earl's you are surely in a town big enough to have restaurants that do this better than Earl's. Earl's is Applebee's for people who want to pretend to be upscale and/or hit on their 18 year-old waitress.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #198 on: 30 Apr 2010, 20:02 »

TRU PUNX FIGHT THE SANDWICH MAN

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #199 on: 30 Apr 2010, 23:50 »

I'm acting all haughty but it's mostly because I feel profoundly uncomfortable in Earl's whenever I wind up there. The food isn't all that bad but it's like, if it's food you can appreciate, I'm sure a local business probably does it very well and the dining area isn't like a weird alien zoo they've set up to observe eighty humans trying to eat in a casual environment without any real privacy and also there isn't a vague air of misogyny around the dress code for the waitresses.

Seriously, Earl's just makes me so uncomfortable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up