THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Hannelore learn to be maternal?

From her mother
- 2 (2.2%)
From her father
- 4 (4.3%)
From Dora
- 18 (19.4%)
From the best nanny money could buy
- 20 (21.5%)
She's simply a good person
- 27 (29%)
By logical deduction and observation
- 18 (19.4%)
Callous calcium calliope
- 4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: 04 Apr 2010, 20:09

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010  (Read 101148 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010
« Reply #50 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:13 »

I think betrayal of her trust would have been sleeping with her then rejecting her the next morning.  What he did is precisely the white knight type of thing to do.  Just because your the white knight doesnt mean your every girl's knight in shining armor, to come galloping in and sweep them off their feet.  He was open and honest on how he felt there relationship is.  The truth sometimes hurt.  But marigold needs to learn from this and start branching out.  She kind of attached herself to the only single guy she knows. not to get all nautical and cheesy but there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #51 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:13 »

Any one else remember how the EP ends?  They shift into

Baby (baby, baby)
Where did our love go? 

with the same bomping line.  Really disturbing. 

You mean AWESOME, right?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #52 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:15 »

Any one else remember how the EP ends?  They shift into
Baby (baby, baby)
Where did our love go? 
with the same bomping line.  Really disturbing. 
You mean AWESOME, right?
Awesomely disturbing, then.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #53 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:16 »

Ok, thanks, but what is the trees?
Irresponsible Adult GOM

akronnick

« Reply #54 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:16 »

Also, 2nd page of WCT an hour after Monday's comic was posted, when was the last time that happened?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #55 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:36 »

that was a damned or be damned situation.

also, I thought I was the only guy ever to friendzone a girl.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #56 on: 29 Mar 2010, 01:42 »

Nope, I have before too, and like angus felt like shit for doing it.  She was my friend. :-(
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #57 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:22 »

I'm a pretty cute girl and it's happened to me a bunch. Is not as rare as tv or "hur hur all guys just wanna stick it" raunch culture would make you think. Men and women: they're both just like people!  :-P

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #58 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:36 »

I'm a pretty cute girl [...]
SHOW PIX !!!!  :-D :-D :-D SCNR ...  :-P :roll: :evil: :laugh: :wink:
Carpe Diem

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster
« Reply #59 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:00 »

You know, Sven plays WoW...

I wouldn't mind if this happened. But really, I could see it turning into an extreme Chuy/Autumn type relationship.
yeah um no

erikotaku

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #60 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:23 »

Angus could have been much gentler with her.  He could've easily made a BS excuse (not a lie), about the fact that his judgement is impaired and that they should slow it down for the moment.  Something like that.  Its like telling a person that one of their loved ones died by just saying "Your (i.e.)brother died" instead of leading them up to it.  Just one more perfect example of why he really shouldn't be with Faye.  The whole thing with not believing her about her father was another perfect example.  He doesn't think before he says stuff, he just says what will quell any uncomfortableness for himself, and for Faye who has had a lot of trauma in her life, that can be the worst possible thing.  I think I'm the only one on the forum who doesn't want to see them together though.  It will probably happen, not because I'm giving the whole "I dont want it to happen so it probably will" speech, but mostly because every situation that would have caused Faye+Angus to never happen, was always somehow resolved.  Angus has been rescued from those bad situations so many times I've lost count.  Not ones that would shun him from the group, just ones that would have prevented any possibility of that relationship.

But I digress.  He still should've eased Marigold into that.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #61 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:44 »

Angus could have been much gentler with her.  He could've easily made a BS excuse (not a lie), about the fact that his judgement is impaired and that they should slow it down for the moment.  Something like that.

Unfortunately I think that would have just made it worse. Saying that you want to "slow it down for the moment" is a bad idea because it makes it seem like there is a chance in the near future that you would be together, and I get the feeling Angus will just never think of Marigold as a potential partner. I have done this before to guys and it never ends well. I think people who are crushing will hold on to any shred of hope they can find. Angus did a decent job really. It is not like he said "EEEEEEEEEEWWWW, get away from me! How could you even think that I could be interested?!"

blackbluecatbones

« Reply #62 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:48 »

Marigold is a whiny little whimp.
This is no trolling attempt, she seriously is THE most annoying character in the 3-4 years I've been reading QC.
How can anyone ever like her? She has the personality of a fuckin brick. I don't have any bricks in my phonebook.
Cause they are fuckin bricks.

akronnick

« Reply #63 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:48 »

There was no posible way for Angus to spare Marigolds feelings that she would not have been able to misinterpret.

He told her, honestly and directly, the truth, even if it might have hurt her feelings. If Marigold wants to play in the NFL, she has to be able to take a hit.

Face it, everybody strikes out on their first trip to the plate, just because Marigold delayed her MLB debut is no reason for the pitcher to throw a softball. It's not like Angus was throwing chin music at the rookie.

She has to learn how to shoot at a 10-foot basket. (to round out my collection of sports metaphors)

My point is, Angus wouldn't be doing Marigold any favors by not letting her off the hook right away. If he had rebuffed her advances with an excuse like "we're too drunk" or something, Marigold may have thought that she still had a chance under other circumstances.

I also think Faye did the right thing when she found out what the situation was by getting out of there. Had she stayed, either Marigold would not have made her move, in which case she would still be entertaining her crush, or she would have, and been humiliated in front of an audience, as it were.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #64 on: 29 Mar 2010, 03:56 »

But I digress.  He still should've eased Marigold into that.
Just sobered, and this comes out of the blue (from Angus's perspective, not ours)? No way. He'd have to be smoother than one of Cary Grant's characters to pull that off, and maybe even then would fail. 

I like all the assertions of what will happen mere hours before we find out what does happen.
Hey what're we supposed to do—wait to post until we actually know something? C'mon, there's be like two, three posts a week.

Momo is sure enjoying her new digits.
Semi-ninja'd. I was going to say "So that's what they are for." (Seeing as Pintsize gets along fine without—say, I wonder what became of the thumbs?)

I think betrayal of her trust would have been sleeping with her then rejecting her the next morning.  What he did is precisely the white knight type of thing to do.  Just because your the white knight doesnt mean your every girl's knight in shining armor, to come galloping in and sweep them off their feet.  He was open and honest on how he felt there relationship is.
See? Sir Gawaine. Not Drystan.

And just to be clear, hopping into bed with Marigold (if it had gone that far) was what I saw as creating Tainted Love.
Anyway, Take my tears and and that's not all, Oh!  :evil:

GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #65 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:03 »

The only reason anybody is offering any of the "support" for Marigold that they are is because she is a female character.

If the genders were swapped in the comic everyone would be mocking the living shit out of her on here.

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #66 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:11 »

I disagree, shit is given to all characters at certain times, regardless of gender. It is just that there was this build up to almost inevitable disappointment for Marigold, she did not really have the experience to know how to go about it. If the roles were reversed (aside from the reactions of the characters I imagine being a bit different) I for one would feel for Angus.

Besides, no one is being mocked here anyway.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #67 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:28 »

Ok, thanks, but what is the trees?

That's The Happening (M. Night Shyamalan's eco-thriller, not Anthony Quinn's 1967 "comedy"). I needed Google to figure out Aeris though.

Is this another delayed-payoff comedy moment? I'd like to think Jeph ran the whole "AnthroPCs acquire digital extremities" arc all those months ago just so one day Momo could give someone the finger.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #68 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:29 »

There is no way that Angus could have gooten out of that situation without hurting Marigold either right then, or down the road.  His reaction was honest, and any other would have been a disservice to his friend.

And Raoul - I've never mentioned this before, but I've hated that particular song since it debuted, and if you keep it up I may have to indulge in some violence.  
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

GreatGonzo

• Not quite a lurker
Poor Angus
« Reply #69 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:43 »

He who can sleep with a woman and does not, commits a great sin. If a woman calls you to share her bed and you don’t go, your soul will be destroyed! That woman will sigh before God on judgment day, and that woman’s sigh, whoever you may be and whatever your fine deeds, will cast you into Hell! If Hell exists, I shall go to Hell, and that’ll be the reason. Not because I’ve robed, killed or committed adultery, no! All that’s nothing. But I shall go to Hell because one night in Salonica a woman waited for me on her bed and I did not go to her…
-- N. Kazantzakis

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #70 on: 29 Mar 2010, 04:51 »

The only reason anybody is offering any of the "support" for Marigold that they are is because she is a female character.

If the genders were swapped in the comic everyone would be mocking the living shit out of her on here.
Um ? Nope.

He who can sleep with a woman and does not, commits a great sin. If a woman calls you to share her bed and you don’t go, your soul will be destroyed! That woman will sigh before God on judgment day, and that woman’s sigh, whoever you may be and whatever your fine deeds, will cast you into Hell! If Hell exists, I shall go to Hell, and that’ll be the reason. Not because I’ve robed, killed or committed adultery, no! All that’s nothing. But I shall go to Hell because one night in Salonica a woman waited for me on her bed and I did not go to her…
-- N. Kazantzakis
Idiocy knows no limits.
Carpe Diem

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #71 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:08 »

By the way, thanks Is It Cold Here? for stepping up and getting a poll going - I don't think I could have done something here.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #72 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:15 »

Thus do we learn the real reason for Jeff giving Momo-tan that software upgrade patch.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Peeping Mantis

• Not quite a lurker
  • Zoidy want to go outside!
Locke 3:16 says 'I just blew up your submarine!'

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #74 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:48 »

I have to say, that song always makes me think of the coneheads.

:wink:

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:56 »

I couldn't feel bad after seeing momo. I just lauuuughed.
Take you to the stabbing cabin.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2010, 05:58 »

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/The_Ells/broodaxqc.jpg
Eww. 

So, on my 3 hour drive this morning, I've been thinking...

The sympathy for Marigold (and the constant chant of the "Angus is an ass" crowd) is coming from one place - within. 

Angus says the right thing - "you're WONDERFUL" - but just look at her body language in the 4th and 5th panels.  She has suddenly realized that all the emotions she was feeling, she was also projecting onto Angus.  She suddenly realized that she was mistaken. 

And that's why she runs off, upset not with Angus (or she would yell at him, "I'm not good enough?"), but rather upset with herself, her own naivete, running from an embarassing moment as we all have at some point. 

And that's what I love about this comic.  Jeph manages to tap into the universal emotions.  Some of us in the forum are old/experienced enough to see what's going on, others are connecting with Marigold on a more visceral/personal level (and may well blame Angus) from more recent experiences, but both happen because weall know this emotion, we all have done this (or something pretty damn close), and we all can never get over it completely.  Time may heal all wounds, but it doesn't erase the scars. 

Riever, this ones's for you! 

Don't touch me, please
I cannot stand the way you tease;
I love you, though you hurt me so. 
Now I'm gona grab my things and go!

BOMP BOMP

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :angel:
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 06:03 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

matachin

• Plantmonster
« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:16 »

Marigold needs a few good blues albums and another fifth.

"Mama, He Treats Your Daughter So Bad" would be a good start; it's the first song that came to mind after jumped in the shower.

Conjecture:  Marigold does something _really_ stupid now & we see the return of the photos.

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #78 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:24 »

Jeph, this is the very first time I have been truly touched by this comic.  I mean, not to say I haven't *felt* things before this, but your expressions(marigold's in particular) and choice of dialog are pretty much perfect here.
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2010, 22:29 by Prince of Space »

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #79 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:30 »

I disagree, shit is given to all characters at certain times, regardless of gender. It is just that there was this build up to almost inevitable disappointment for Marigold, she did not really have the experience to know how to go about it. If the roles were reversed (aside from the reactions of the characters I imagine being a bit different) I for one would feel for Angus.

If Marigold were the male equivalent to her current greasy/poor hygiene World of Warcraft/animu-nerd character, there would almost definitely be a trainwreck of "Holy shit, how pathetic!".

Unless I'm completely misreading the population of this message board and the majority of you people are World of Warcraft/animu-nerds.

I mean, when we were introduced to Marigold she lived an abject filth and was basically the embodiment of all that is wrong with Internet Culture. She hasn't changed that much in the time she's been in these comics, so I think my point is pretty valid.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #80 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:39 »

Jeph, this is the very first time I have been truly touched by this comic.  I mean, not to say I haven't *felt* things before this, but your expressions(marigold's in particular) and choice of dialog are pretty much perfect here. :)
Holy Chao, yes! I found it almost painful to view. And I'm more impatient than ever to see the next comics, because I'm impatient to see the characters get better.

Right now I can only see one person that can be helpful to Marigold, and that would be Hanners. Although, given her usual reactions to physical contact, things could go even worse if Marigold hurls herself in her arms for consolation. Then again, maybe Hanners could surprize us, and manage to keep her self-control for the sake of Marigold.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 06:45 by Schmorgluck »
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #81 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:41 »

D'aww. I feel bad for both Marigold and Angus.

I can't blame Marigold, who's so socially stunted due to shyness that she has no idea how to read signals, and therefore honestly mistook Angus's friendly gestures as something else.

Nor can I blame Angus who, although more at ease with himself and others than she, is nevertheless also rather clueless about interpersonal cues. (That did end up working in his favour with regard to Faye, whom he's at least gotten past the "leave me alone or I'll send you flying across the bar" stage into the "I still don't want to date you but I'll exchange friendly banter with you" phase.) He honestly had no idea what effect his friendliness and joke-dancing and such was having on Marigold.

Now to Momo's reaction, which I haven't seen much discussion of yet. If she were a flesh-and-blood person as opposed to an AI, I'd be inclined to say she's being blindly and one-sidedly supportive of Mar. But it's arguable that as an AI she's simply following the dictates of her programming, namely supporting her owner first and foremost, and therefore isn't doing anything "wrong" as such. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 06:44 by zagraf »

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:42 »

Wow, almost three pages.

And yeah, the shit has definately hit the fan. 

And Momo flipping Angus the bird is almost too cute.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #83 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:44 »

Carl - thanks to you a puppy has been kicked and a kitten slapped.  I'm now looking for the baby seal.

thret

• Plantmonster
« Reply #84 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:48 »

If you could somehow work that last panel where Marigold's cute anthro-pc is giving the finger into a t-shirt, I'd be so grateful I would buy one.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #85 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:51 »

If Marigold were the male equivalent to her current greasy/poor hygiene World of Warcraft/animu-nerd character, there would almost definitely be a trainwreck of "Holy shit, how pathetic!".
I would have to disagree, a cute shy puppy is always a cute shy puppy, regardless of gender.  The only male equivalent to Marigold I can think of at this point in time (im writing a 10 page paper while doing this) is Ducky from pretty in pink.  Everyone was rooting for him to get the girl, but he was stuck in friend zone.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #86 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:54 »

Awww Poor Marigold. I feel so bad for her even though I knew it was sort of inevitable.

What!? It might happen. She helps him Level; He helps her unlock some real life achievements.

Oh, I don't doubt it at all. Heck, I'm half-expecting that Sven's in her guild.

And yes, I saw the 'Just friends" line as inevitable. I do believe that Mari is being a bit overdramatic, but she is three sheets to the wind, after all.

Hopefully the hangover will make her forget things.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #87 on: 29 Mar 2010, 06:58 »

Don't feel bad Jeph. At least you didn't give Marigold a miscarriage or anything like some other webcomics I know.

On the other hand I like Momo down in the corner of the last panel. Is she angry that:
1. Angus handled that... not so well?
2. Angus simply didn't accept it?
3. She just wanted to try out her new digits?

Can't wait for some more awkwardness in the near future!
I had something witty to put down here but.....

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #88 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:00 »

Ducky from pretty in pink.  Everyone was rooting for him to get the girl, but he was stuck in friend zone.

Apparently (according to IMDb.com) the original ending did see Ducky win Andie's heart, but both test audiences and, on reflection, John Hughes himself felt it'd be better for Blane (the rich guy) to end up with her.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #89 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:02 »

There is no way that Angus could have gooten out of that situation without hurting Marigold either right then, or down the road.  His reaction was honest, and any other would have been a disservice to his friend.

And Raoul - I've never mentioned this before, but I've hated that particular song since it debuted, and if you keep it up I may have to indulge in some violence.  

Well, sometimes I feel I have to RUN AWAY, I've got to GET AWAY...

(Song was a hit when I was in high school, sue me)
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #90 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:05 »

Ducky from pretty in pink.  Everyone was rooting for him to get the girl, but he was stuck in friend zone.

Apparently (according to IMDb.com) the original ending did see Ducky win Andie's heart, but both test audiences and, on reflection, John Hughes himself felt it'd be better for Blane (the rich guy) to end up with her.
for artistic purposes I would have to agree that it would be better for ducky not to get the girl.
1)too cheesy if he did.
2)people can relate to being stuck in friend zone at one time or another

ducky was the dorky cute friend that will always be the friend and nothing more.  I think "Not another Teen Movie" capitalized on this (but made the ducky like guy waaaaayyyyy more creepy).  My only point is that ducky was not mocked or heckled for being the dorky guy that didnt get the girl.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #91 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:08 »

<snip>

Unless I'm completely misreading the population of this message board and the majority of you people are World of Warcraft/animu-nerds.

<snip>

I don't like or play WoW. I don't care much for anime. And you're misreading the population of this message board. Strike three, outside corner, have a seat.
Just another Joe like 46

ThunderPower

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #92 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:09 »

I have to say, this comic hit me hard. I've heard that term so many times - "You're so great, you're amazing, but we're just friends". It will frustrate and sadden you to no end when you finally come to terms that they've either lied and aren't interested in you, or are afraid of ruining a good friendship. It's a total downer.
I'm a Guitar Hero, how about you?

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #93 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:24 »

Wow - I have to say, yet again, if no one saw this coming, they were blind or in some serious denial. But I'm glad it played out the way it did... the expressions Marigold shows are just so real. Pretty sure that's exactly what I would look like if this ever happened to me. The pain of rejection coupled with the horrifying realization - the art is so spot-on right now, it pleases me to know end. And it seriously makes me sad. But Momo's gesture makes us all giggle a bit, alleviating the tension of depression so present in that strip.

I think Momo's reaction was perfect. Obviously, Angus handled things the very best way he could, but I think on Momo's level, having the software she does, she knew how he COULD have handled things, were he capable of knowing the perfect reaction in every social situation, be it awkward,  strangely romantic, or just plain uncomfortable. To her, it might be obvious... as well as that initial instinct she (and some, but of course not all) AntroPCs feel to protect and defend their owners, would have generated the wonderful use of her digits!

On another note: I personally would not play WoW if you paid me to do it. However, I have always, and will likely always, love anime. Along this line, it's rather shitty of you to make such generalizations. Yes, Marigold is based on a generalization, but she is moving beyond that with each strip. She's growing and changing, and revealing parts of her nature that hadn't been assumed before, much like all the characters, and saying that were she a man, her character would receive endless mocking... do you think that if Sven was a woman, everyone on the board wouldn't moan about how much of a slut she was? Because, despite any notions you have about this board only disparaging males, it's my belief that they are universally disparaging - the only difference hinging on what the topic of the comic is each day/week.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #94 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:29 »

Well, sometimes I feel I have to RUN AWAY, I've got to GET AWAY...

(Song was a hit when I was in high school, sue me)

Same here, but in this case violence is much more likely to yield the results I want.  I could get the judgement, its the enforcement that woudl be challenging.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #95 on: 29 Mar 2010, 07:46 »

Also, 2nd page of WCT an hour after Monday's comic was posted, when was the last time that happened?
I _think_ the faye-sven arc beat that, many times over... ah, good times.
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #96 on: 29 Mar 2010, 08:33 »

There really wasn't a good way for Angus to let her down any more easily ESPECIALLY given his state, that wouldn't have resulted in her thinking, "wait, that means there's still a chance," and things going into creepy stalker mode.

I've got personal experience with that. That is, on Marigold's side of the situation (although mine was slightly different, in that the interest went both ways, but she didn't want to leave who she was with to do it.) And trying NOT to go into creepy stalker mode, while still staying friends, and still trying to capitalize on what seemed like a chance. Literally drove me insane.

To the point that last time I was rejected by a friend, I actually asked her try to be careful to not flirt with me, in case I think it's a chance, just so I can keep my sanity.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 08:36 by bhtooefr »

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #97 on: 29 Mar 2010, 08:49 »

*snip*

On another note: I personally would not play WoW if you paid me to do it. However, I have always, and will likely always, love anime. Along this line, it's rather shitty of you to make such generalizations.

I should note that I make a distinction between Anime and Animu that is different from most other definitions. The first is usually pretty decent entertainment, the second is the horrifyingly embarassing shit like "yaoi" and tentacle rape whorehouses and the like.

Yes, Marigold is based on a generalization, but she is moving beyond that with each strip. She's growing and changing, and revealing parts of her nature that hadn't been assumed before, much like all the characters, and saying that were she a man, her character would receive endless mocking.

Marigold is doing absolutely nothing that without it being forced upon her by some of the other characters. No "growth" or branching out without somebody else dragging her along for the ride.

do you think that if Sven was a woman, everyone on the board wouldn't moan about how much of a slut she was? Because, despite any notions you have about this board only disparaging males, it's my belief that they are universally disparaging - the only difference hinging on what the topic of the comic is each day/week.

Please post where I have said that the board only disparages males. Never mind that I'm also pretty sure people were calling Sven a whore in past threads discussing him (a fair few results in searches, but the way the search works I can't link the results page for you), so I'm not sure what point you're actually making here.

imaginaryideals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:03 »

Awww Poor Marigold. I feel so bad for her even though I knew it was sort of inevitable.

What!? It might happen. She helps him Level; He helps her unlock some real life achievements.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who at some point thought Sven+Marigold. Although that came more out of "Huh, which of Jeph's characters isn't hooked up with someone currently?" logic. (Cause come on, a lot of romance based stories end up throwing in extra people so no one is left out in the cold, and pairing up people randomly just cause they're the odd ones out!)

When Marigold was first introduced I really thought she and Angus were related somehow, like cousins or something. He treats her like a little sister. This is about the outcome I expected. Jeph knows his characters well.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #99 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:04 »

Uncalled for, Momo. Would you rather he lied to Marigold?
YES!!!!!!!  Play along, let her down easy, have some shred of compassion, you know how fragile she is........
No.  Never.  Stupidest.  Move.  EVER.

I think these answer this the best:
Quote from: Is it cold in here?
Playing along really would be betraying her trust.
Quote from: LeeC
I think betrayal of her trust would have been sleeping with her then rejecting her the next morning.  What he did is precisely the white knight type of thing to do.  Just because your the white knight doesnt mean your every girl's knight in shining armor, to come galloping in and sweep them off their feet.  He was open and honest on how he felt there relationship is.  The truth sometimes hurt.  But marigold needs to learn from this and start branching out.  She kind of attached herself to the only single guy she knows. not to get all nautical and cheesy but there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

And I think this:
Quote from: erikotaku
Angus could have been much gentler with her.  He could've easily made a BS excuse (not a lie), about the fact that his judgement is impaired and that they should slow it down for the moment.  Something like that.  Its like telling a person that one of their loved ones died by just saying "Your (i.e.)brother died" instead of leading them up to it....But I digress.  He still should've eased Marigold into that.

Is best answered by this:
Quote from: akronnick
There was no posible way for Angus to spare Marigolds feelings that she would not have been able to misinterpret.

He told her, honestly and directly, the truth, even if it might have hurt her feelings......My point is, Angus wouldn't be doing Marigold any favors by not letting her off the hook right away. If he had rebuffed her advances with an excuse like "we're too drunk" or something, Marigold may have thought that she still had a chance under other circumstances.

In other words, Angus is human. He has just been startled out of a drunken state with a kiss from a girl he only wants to be friends with. The girl is drunk, and at first not listening to him anyway ("I think we're more than that...")  He reacted pretty well, I thought. He didn't make any thoughtless comments like he has in the past. Sure, he doesn't want to hurt her feelings, but if it's something he doesn't want, he absolutely needs to let her know up front. Anything else could be considered leading her on. And that would most likely give people here even more fodder to dislike him. I think his reaction is the best it could possibly be, given the circumstances.
(Also, by treating Marigold as "fragile", as if she were made of glass, she will never learn to toughen her skin a bit, and to understand that sometimes things in life happen that are not what you want, but you still have to find a way to cope with them. Sheltering a person is only detrimental to the person in the end.)
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 09:17 by Moxie »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up