THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Hannelore learn to be maternal?

From her mother
- 2 (2.2%)
From her father
- 4 (4.3%)
From Dora
- 18 (19.4%)
From the best nanny money could buy
- 20 (21.5%)
She's simply a good person
- 27 (29%)
By logical deduction and observation
- 18 (19.4%)
Callous calcium calliope
- 4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: 04 Apr 2010, 20:09

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010  (Read 101159 times)

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
Re: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010
« Reply #100 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:43 »

horrifyingly embarassing shit like "yaoi"

Yeah, um, have you made any effort to watch (or read) any decent yaoi? Amazingly, stories that have to do with male-male romance can be as varied, and have as much ground for being decent entertainment, as stories dealing with male-female romance. Just because the couple at the center is made up of two guys rather than a guy and a girl, doesn't automatically somehow make it either "horrifying" or "embarrassing" or bad entertainment.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #101 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:48 »

Is the art slightly different?

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #102 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:05 »

Yeah, um, have you made any effort to watch (or read) any decent yaoi? Amazingly, stories that have to do with male-male romance can be as varied, and have as much ground for being decent entertainment, as stories dealing with male-female romance. Just because the couple at the center is made up of two guys rather than a guy and a girl, doesn't automatically somehow make it either "horrifying" or "embarrassing" or bad entertainment.

The only good anime is the anime involving warfare, giant robots and acts of genocide that end with the death of the entire cast of characters (and Hellsing Ultimate, aka "The Happiest Anime Ever Made" due to all the smiling).

Or, you know, stuff like Legend of Galactic Heroes. But anime where the romance is the sole plot point is pretty idiotic and embarrassing, regardless of the sexuality involved.

EDIT: Romance anime are like the American Soap Operas of television programming. They suck. Period.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 10:13 by Odin »

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #103 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:17 »

MOMO is pissed because she didn't get to take part in the action
Help bring back the dragons!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #104 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:26 »

Quote from: Schmorgluck
Right now I can only see one person that can be helpful to Marigold, and that would be Hanners.
Why not Dora? She's compassionate, has been good to Marigold except for that one outburst, and is older so Marigold may consider her wiser.
Quote from: zapgraf
But it's arguable that as an AI she's simply following the dictates of her programming, namely supporting her owner first and foremost, and therefore isn't doing anything "wrong" as such. What do you all think?
That would make sense, but the other AnthroPCs don't react that way. I can't think of Winslow taking Hannelore's side in anything, and Pintsize ...
Quote from: michi-love
I think on Momo's level, having the software she does, she knew how he COULD have handled things, were he capable of knowing the perfect reaction in every social situation, be it awkward,  strangely romantic, or just plain uncomfortable. To her, it might be obvious
This is the best explanation I've seen. Her social protocol database must feel like second nature to her.
Quote from: odin
Marigold is doing absolutely nothing that without it being forced upon her by some of the other characters. No "growth" or branching out without somebody else dragging her along for the ride.
She did go to the coffee shop on her own initiative, and invited herself to share the bourbon. For sure nobody dragged her into climbing onto Angus.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #105 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:30 »

He posts the comic and we get 4 panels of AnthroPC orgy. "April Fool's, dear readers. Hahalhbgahgbaahgbalhabg"
Oh man, i would have so loved that.

five million tons of TNT in the cunt

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #106 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:31 »

The difference here is that of genders, I suspect.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #107 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:37 »

This is disgusting.  There is no excuse for a man to spurn a woman who offers her body freely.  Denial = abuse, period.

...okay, I can't type that garbage anymore, and I need to stop reading feminist fora.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #108 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:38 »

Right now I can only see one person that can be helpful to Marigold, and that would be Hanners.
Why not Dora? She's compassionate, has been good to Marigold except for that one outburst, and is older so Marigold may consider her wiser.

true but hanners is her bestest friend. though hanners may end up taking her to dora for advice...or faye

as far as momo is concerned, i think she was just really hopeful that marigold got a boyfriend and became more social, and then angus rejected her thus undoing all the socializing she has helped marigold with as marigold boards herself in.

and I think if anything winslow would defend hanners at all cost.  he was quite offended when the roomba called her "his woman" and not winslows woman.  Not to mention he is so insecure about being replaced.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #109 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:51 »

... But anime where the romance is the sole plot point is pretty idiotic and embarrassing, regardless of the sexuality involved.

EDIT: Romance anime are like the American Soap Operas of television programming. They suck. Period.

OK, why are you reading this comic again?  'Cause if it isn't for the soap-ish plot line, it must be for anthro-PC hijinx and the one-liners, and there aren't enough of those to go around...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #110 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:52 »

This is disgusting.  There is no excuse for a man to spurn a woman who offers her body freely.  Denial = abuse, period.

...okay, I can't type that garbage anymore, and I need to stop reading feminist fora.

I started reading this and my skin was crawling - and I'm a guy!  Feminists really reason this way now?  What the fuck happened in the last 30 years? 

schmeeble

• Plantmonster
« Reply #111 on: 29 Mar 2010, 10:55 »

I started reading this and my skin was crawling - and I'm a guy!  Feminists really reason this way now?  What the fuck happened in the last 30 years? 

At least we see that Angus has standards. Today's comic has made me so happy.  :-D
herro!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #112 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:04 »

OK, 3 minutes in the penalty box for unnecessary cruelty. 

:police:

TheHappyBerry

• Plantmonster
« Reply #113 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:07 »

Wait, I thought the crazed feminist idea was that all sex was rape, no matter how consensual.  Are they branching out into multiple crazed sects?

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #114 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:09 »

... But anime where the romance is the sole plot point is pretty idiotic and embarrassing, regardless of the sexuality involved.

OK, why are you reading this comic again?  'Cause if it isn't for the soap-ish plot line, it must be for anthro-PC hijinx and the one-liners, and there aren't enough of those to go around...

Jeph's progression in the Art department, guest comics that make fun of the rest of the soap-opera stuff.

On a side-note, Jeph forgot the "Rosebud is a sled" spoiler in his series of spoilers that someone linked.

Shogoll

« Reply #115 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:20 »

"Yaoi is an acronym created in the dōjinshi market of the late 1970s by Yasuko Sakata and Akiko Hatsu[5]  and popularized in the 1980s[6]  standing for Yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi (ヤマなし、オチなし、意味なし?) "No climax, no point, no meaning"."

I don't post here often, but I figured you might want to know that.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #116 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:27 »

Its cutting commentary on indie rock music and culture.

Wait, I thought the crazed feminist idea was that all sex was rape, no matter how consensual.  Are they branching out into multiple crazed sects?

Classy.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #117 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:30 »

Its cutting commentary on indie rock music and culture.

When was the last time that made it into a strip?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Heliphyneau

• Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #118 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:36 »

Well done strip.  Nice to see that Angus was able to set Marigold straight despite only just having had his boozles popped.  I don't think he was too harsh -- Marigold's smooch was abrupt, and so was his response.  At least he was honest and didn't lead her on.  It seems pretty clear that they will both be torturing themselves over this tomorrow, and probably for awhile.  Hopefully they'll get past it and be able to remain friends.

I kinda can't believe no one's pointed this out yet, but in panel one, Marigold seems to be holding Angus' hand right against her breast.  O_o  Even if she remembers most of the rest of what happened, maybe she'll forget that part.

And I know everyone's pointed it out already, but I loved that Momo is getting to use her digits.  And hey, she didn't zap Angus, so as reactions go, flipping him off isn't too bad.

It'll be interesting to see if Angus heads to CoD for hangover relief tomorrow, or if he opts for the hair o' the dog approach and ends up talking to Wil . . . and Sven.  I don't see Marigold going to Dora or Faye for advice since Angus was pretty clear on why he goes to the coffee shop, but Hanners is a possibility.  I do anticipate some AnthoPC hijinks soon though.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #119 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:41 »

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/The_Ells/broodaxqc.jpg
Add the last two panels, and this will shine.
Angus says the right thing - "you're WONDERFUL" - but just look at her body language in the 4th and 5th panels.  She has suddenly realized that all the emotions she was feeling, she was also projecting onto Angus.  She suddenly realized that she was mistaken. 

And that's why she runs off, upset not with Angus (or she would yell at him, "I'm not good enough?"), but rather upset with herself, her own naivete, running from an embarassing moment as we all have at some point. 
I concur. Marigold strikes me as being good at replaying her own mistakes, even though I don't know we've much evidence for it. Now she has something to really beat the hell out of herself about. This may be test time—will she come out again, or hide forever?

My first reaction is to snark at the idea of Hannelore helping anyone deal with relationship problems. My second is, maybe not that, but the optimism wouldn't hurt. But I agree with Cold: the woman for the job is Dora—knows rejection, knows insecurity, and is nice, whatever her detractors say. However, I just had a third notion—will Faye try to help Marigold get over this? Stranger things have happened.

But first, Marigold's got to open the door, at least to let someone in.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #120 on: 29 Mar 2010, 11:57 »

The first one in will be Angus.  He's closest, and enough of a "good guy" (take that as you will) to try and help someone who's hurting, especially if he considers himself guilty of causing the pain. 

And Marigold may not let him in, but he's a persistant little bugger.  He'll talk her ear off through the door for a panel or two (next time we see them, which may not be tomorrow, knowing how Jeph likes to work). 

You heard it here first! 
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 11:59 by Carl-E »

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #121 on: 29 Mar 2010, 12:09 »

Wonder if Mari will be so mortified by all this that she'll actually move out? At the very least she'll probably shut herself away until Angus or one of the ladies pulls her out, kicking and screaming, into the sunlight.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

schmeeble

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:09 »

Wonder if Mari will be so mortified by all this that she'll actually move out? At the very least she'll probably shut herself away until Angus or one of the ladies pulls her out, kicking and screaming, into the sunlight.

Moving out would be awesomeeeee. Also I love that she has a gut in panel 1. Thank god Jeph is getting more realistic about her.
herro!

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #123 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:23 »

Well, she'll still need a roommate.  Too bad there's absolutely, positively no one else without a roomie in our current cast of characters, eh?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #124 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:26 »

What Marigold really needs is some 100% Angus beef.

What I'm saying is he should have given her a good hard dicking. You gotta use girls like Marigold as slump-busters.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

EnelyaSinahka

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #125 on: 29 Mar 2010, 13:38 »

In all honesty, I'm pretty glad that this is how things worked out with Mari and Angus. I like Mari as a person but the way she acts around Angus bugs me. I can be shy around guys and what not but she was just annoying to me. Yeah I get she's shy she's clumsy and she's nervous (etc etc) but she was also needy, naive...To me there's a difference between going after what you want, and assuming that what you want is something you already have.

I like Angus and I love Faye I liked where their little friendship was going and I felt that the Mari love triangle insert was distracting.....just me though

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #126 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:12 »

"Yaoi is an acronym created in the dōjinshi market of the late 1970s by Yasuko Sakata and Akiko Hatsu[5]  and popularized in the 1980s[6]  standing for Yama nashi, ochi nashi, imi nashi (ヤマなし、オチなし、意味なし?) "No climax, no point, no meaning"."

Yeah, and everybody knows that of course and uses it with that meaning.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #127 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:16 »

Yeah, and everybody knows that of course and uses it with that meaning.

Actually we all do. We were gonna tell you, but it was funnier not to.

douggerel

• Plantmonster
« Reply #128 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:18 »

Years and years back, a similar situation happened to me. Too much liquor, and a woman I thought was just a friend got me in a lip lock that was totally unexpected and unwanted. I handled the situation better than Angus did: I pretended to fall asleep from the booze, and she bought it and gave up. The next morning she never mentioned it, and we stayed friends. It wasn't so much thinking quickly on my part as it was, well, kind of acting like a possum.

But I was a lot drunker than Angus.

This will sort itself out, I think. Faye ex machina.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #129 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:22 »

Quote from: tvtropes.org
An important aspect of The Woobie  is that their suffering must have its genesis in external sources: a character, however sympathetically portrayed, who suffers as the result of their own actions is a Tragic Hero and does not qualify.
Marigold tests this claim. She's not a Tragic Hero, but she is the sort that people identify with and want to protect to make up for all the times they couldn't protect themselves. In other words, a Woobie.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #130 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:38 »

Let the Woobie win. 

Peeping Mantis

• Not quite a lurker
  • Zoidy want to go outside!
Locke 3:16 says 'I just blew up your submarine!'

AshiHalfangel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #132 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:46 »

*sniff, sniff* I do believe I smell a troll in board.  :roll:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #133 on: 29 Mar 2010, 14:57 »

So now fart jokes = trolling? 

Come on, some humor is just gassy classic! 

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #134 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:01 »

Since when do fart jokes qualify as humor?

Alus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:11 »

I think the nerd deserved some action.

I bet she ends up using Momo as a vibrator.

Pintsize explodes in jealousy.

AshiHalfangel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #136 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:13 »

So now fart jokes = trolling? 

Come on, some humor is just gassy classic! 

No, wasn't referring to you. I just rather not give out names.  :lol:

Edit:

Wait..oh how clever. I see what you did there. XD
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 15:15 by AshiHalfangel »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #137 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:14 »

Faye helping her out would be major character development for Faye. I question whether she's that far along in her progress.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #138 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:39 »

The problem with the idea of Faye helping Marigold out is that she's Marigold's "rival", kinda. Angus' heart is set on Faye, so to say, and Faye knows it. Talking Marigold out of her shitty set of mind would require from Faye either some sneaky double-talk that I think is below her, or being straight and blunt about the situation, and I think even Faye is aware Marigold isn't relationally mature enough to take it well.

Someone mentionned Dora as a possible helper, instead of my idea involving Hanners. I overlooked that. When she's not flipping out in her own insecurities, Dora is indeed quite able to put some sense in people around her.

But I still prefer my idea about Hanners. Just imagine that: Marigold hurling herself in tears in Hanner's arms, and Hanner's being all "Oh shit I can't reject her she's my friend and she's already feeling rejected I can't react as usual I can't flip out I must stay strong I must stay calm she needs my help!" That would be epic, heroic.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

the_shankmaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Sweet Niblets
« Reply #139 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:49 »

I know what will make her feel better.

YAOI PARTY!!!!

So yes, Hanners is the one to go to.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #140 on: 29 Mar 2010, 15:56 »

Since when do fart jokes qualify as humor?

Probably since the first (human) fart.  

Dogs only look like they're laughing.  

RightSaidJames

• Not quite a lurker
    • RightSaidJames
« Reply #141 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:03 »

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/The_Ells/broodaxqc.jpg
Eww. 

So, on my 3 hour drive this morning, I've been thinking...

The sympathy for Marigold (and the constant chant of the "Angus is an ass" crowd) is coming from one place - within. 

Angus says the right thing - "you're WONDERFUL" - but just look at her body language in the 4th and 5th panels.  She has suddenly realized that all the emotions she was feeling, she was also projecting onto Angus.  She suddenly realized that she was mistaken. 

And that's why she runs off, upset not with Angus (or she would yell at him, "I'm not good enough?"), but rather upset with herself, her own naivete, running from an embarassing moment as we all have at some point. 

And that's what I love about this comic.  Jeph manages to tap into the universal emotions.  Some of us in the forum are old/experienced enough to see what's going on, others are connecting with Marigold on a more visceral/personal level (and may well blame Angus) from more recent experiences, but both happen because weall know this emotion, we all have done this (or something pretty damn close), and we all can never get over it completely.  Time may heal all wounds, but it doesn't erase the scars. 

I agree with this entirely. Angus' words are absolutely the right thing to say. There's too much bullshit in romance these days.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #142 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:06 »

The only good anime is the anime involving warfare, giant robots and acts of genocide that end with the death of the entire cast of characters (and Hellsing Ultimate, aka "The Happiest Anime Ever Made" due to all the smiling).

Or, you know, stuff like Legend of Galactic Heroes. But anime where the romance is the sole plot point is pretty idiotic and embarrassing, regardless of the sexuality involved.

Ah, ok. You're one of those people who has very narrow stipulations on what you consider "good" and are comfortable dismissing entire genres that don't cater directly to your tastes as "idiotic."  You also, however, appear to be somewhat bigoted since you didn't think to include "romance" anime in your initial post, but went straight (hurr hurr) to singling out yaoi.

O mai god, no, I totally didn't know that! As someone posting to defend (some) yaoi I of course have no idea of its origins or anything about it really!  And I'm sure Odin was referring specifically and only to gag doujinshi, because clearly the term and what it's used for has not changed at all since the 70s, because words never change their meaning.

When he disparaged "romance" anime, Odin was of course also actually talking about anime based on Arthurian legends. Those damn knights, they never make for good viewing!

This is disgusting.  There is no excuse for a man to spurn a woman who offers her body freely.  Denial = abuse, period.

I started reading this and my skin was crawling - and I'm a guy!  Feminists really reason this way now?  What the fuck happened in the last 30 years?  

No, feminists do NOT reason this way now or ever. But if you're curious about what feminists think, how about you do some reading on it (and not just on internet fora, but through actual published journals or books)?  I know it's easier finding some totally unfounded and outrageous claims on the internet by someone clearly very confused as to what feminism is, and then getting smugly righteously horrified about them, but the other way hey--you may learn something!

Wait, I thought the crazed feminist idea was that all sex was rape, no matter how consensual.  Are they branching out into multiple crazed sects?

That was a section of feminist thought in the 70s (which, although I never remotely agreed with it, had more cultural context than you're recognizing), and is not exactly current now. Modern feminism is generally (gasp!) sex-positive.

If you want to see what general modern feminist thought looks like, hit the back button to QC main and reread the archives.  From everything he's revealed in the comic and on his livejournal, Jeph is pretty much a feminist.

Fenriswolf

« Reply #143 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:27 »

No.

What the fuck are you on? There are some seriously bitter extremists but trying to claim that is remotely feminist is ridiculous. I mean, you read a few rad fem blogs are you'll hurt your brain with the crazy, but the above is not common fare!

All heterosexual sex has fucked power dynamics (not "is rape", even the most extreme do not go quite that far) and thus women should stop having sex with men - sure, that's certainly out there. Men expecting physical closeness in a relationship even though they're willing to go without sex are being controlling? Sure, I've read that bullshit recently.

But you just pulled that out of your arse.

And mainstream feminism has exactly nothing to do with women having more rights than men: anyone claiming otherwise doesn't have a fucking clue.  :x

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #144 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:38 »

This is disgusting.  There is no excuse for a man to spurn a woman who offers her body freely.  Denial = abuse, period.

I started reading this and my skin was crawling - and I'm a guy!  Feminists really reason this way now?  What the fuck happened in the last 30 years?  

No, feminists do NOT reason this way now or ever. But if you're curious about what feminists think, how about you do some reading on it (and not just on internet fora, but through actual published journals or books)?  

Well, that's a relief!  I wouldn't mind reading up on recent feminist thought, I haven't read any since the 70's.  Partly from a lack of interest, mostly from lack of time. 

After all, I keep on reading webcomics and posting on forums...

RightSaidJames

• Not quite a lurker
    • RightSaidJames
« Reply #145 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:38 »

I have to say, this comic hit me hard. I've heard that term so many times - "You're so great, you're amazing, but we're just friends". It will frustrate and sadden you to no end when you finally come to terms that they've either lied and aren't interested in you, or are afraid of ruining a good friendship. It's a total downer.

Both of your proposed realities behind "We're just good friends" are, for the most part, absolute bullshit. Let's deal with them in turn:

1) In what way does that phrase suggest any kind of romantic interest? You can think that someone is amazing or great without having any romantic feelings for them whatsoever. My closest female friend is both of these things and more, I love her to bits, but in no way do I want a romantic relationship and/or sex with her; our relationship just doesn't have that dynamic. The fact that we're both in happy relationships is a moot point, as far as I'm concerned.

2) Suggesting that you've been rejected purely out of fear of ruining a friendship is an oversimplification. It's a matter of benefit vs. risk. If you don't have any strong romantic feelings for one of your friends, then you may think that the friendship is too precious for an unlikely chance of relationship success. Conversely, if you go on a date with a stranger and aren't that keen on them, you have little to lose by giving it a try, because there's no friendship at stake. Obviously, the best option is that you know them well enough as a person and that you have romantic feelings for them.

I can't stand the notion that a relationship is the ultimate form of friendship. Unless there's mutual attraction, it's going to be a pretty crappy relationship no matter how good the friendship is.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #146 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:40 »

So now that Marigold and Angus are done I can make my move on Marigold...   *creepy eyebrow*  

*is shot by forum members and corpse IP banned*

Ahem.   Now that I got that over and done with I shall destroy the plot arc by TELLING YOU WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Marigold moves out and moves in with Sarah and Raven (*), Faye...   in some leap of stupid-logic moves out of the Martin-Dora Sex Pony Stables and shacks up with Angus.

MUAHAHAHA!   *is shot again and re-banned*

Ow.   :x

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #147 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:44 »

...Marigold moves out and moves in with Sarah and Raven ...

Wait, Marigold's going to move into an allosaurus?  And I thought Raven was in grad school?   :?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #148 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:49 »

My favorite ever explanation of feminism: Yes, You Are.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #149 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:52 »

There is no way that Angus could have gooten out of that situation without hurting Marigold either right then, or down the road.  His reaction was honest, and any other would have been a disservice to his friend.

And Raoul - I've never mentioned this before, but I've hated that particular song since it debuted, and if you keep it up I may have to indulge in some violence.  

Well, sometimes I feel I have to RUN AWAY, I've got to GET AWAY...

(Song was a hit when I was in high school, sue me)

Same here, but in this case violence is much more likely to yield the results I want.  I could get the judgement, its the enforcement that would be challenging.

...and you missed the fact that I was quoting the song?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up