THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Hannelore learn to be maternal?

From her mother
- 2 (2.2%)
From her father
- 4 (4.3%)
From Dora
- 18 (19.4%)
From the best nanny money could buy
- 20 (21.5%)
She's simply a good person
- 27 (29%)
By logical deduction and observation
- 18 (19.4%)
Callous calcium calliope
- 4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: 04 Apr 2010, 20:09

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010  (Read 101155 times)

tinkerbell

• Larger than most fish
Re: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010
« Reply #150 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:55 »

I have to say, this comic hit me hard. I've heard that term so many times - "You're so great, you're amazing, but we're just friends". It will frustrate and sadden you to no end when you finally come to terms that they've either lied and aren't interested in you, or are afraid of ruining a good friendship. It's a total downer.

Both of your proposed realities behind "We're just good friends" are, for the most part, absolute bullshit. Let's deal with them in turn:

1) In what way does that phrase suggest any kind of romantic interest? You can think that someone is amazing or great without having any romantic feelings for them whatsoever. My closest female friend is both of these things and more, I love her to bits, but in no way do I want a romantic relationship and/or sex with her; our relationship just doesn't have that dynamic. The fact that we're both in happy relationships is a moot point, as far as I'm concerned.

2) Suggesting that you've been rejected purely out of fear of ruining a friendship is an oversimplification. It's a matter of benefit vs. risk. If you don't have any strong romantic feelings for one of your friends, then you may think that the friendship is too precious for an unlikely chance of relationship success. Conversely, if you go on a date with a stranger and aren't that keen on them, you have little to lose by giving it a try, because there's no friendship at stake. Obviously, the best option is that you know them well enough as a person and that you have romantic feelings for them.

I can't stand the notion that a relationship is the ultimate form of friendship. Unless there's mutual attraction, it's going to be a pretty crappy relationship no matter how good the friendship is.

The only way I can glean any sense out of it is if "lied" is used in a very liberal context to mean that one party lied to the other with body language or talk that could be interpreted as flirting. Otherwise no one ever rejects anyone simply because they are genuinely not interested, and THAT WOULD BE A WORLD GONE TOPSY TURVY.

xxxHan-Ahxxx

• Not quite a lurker
  • don't get carried away by your emotions.
« Reply #151 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:33 »

awww.. i really liked marigold and angus to be together. but yea, marigold just started crushing on him, ever since he called her cute. angus and faye are a lot a like. but angus is one of those "nice guys". so i still prefer him to be with marigold. i hope jeff does something to help them be together, or at least have something really good happen. faye, i still liked her with sven. like i know he did a bad thing to faye, but its also faye's fault for not being committed, when sven actually wanted to be with her. i miss sven, haven't seen him in awhile =(
emotional attachments are too much trouble for me.

RightSaidJames

• Not quite a lurker
    • RightSaidJames
« Reply #152 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:37 »

The only way I can glean any sense out of it is if "lied" is used in a very liberal context to mean that one party lied to the other with body language or talk that could be interpreted as flirting. Otherwise no one ever rejects anyone simply because they are genuinely not interested, and THAT WOULD BE A WORLD GONE TOPSY TURVY.

Yeah, either that or the other party misinterpreted completely innocent gestures, or else ridiculously overanalysed the small things at the expense of the big picture. Or perhaps a combination of the two. Sometimes people not used to certain types of friendliness/banter (e.g. expressing extreme interest, playful teasing) can misinterpret someone's personality as being flirty when it's just how they are.

Malek

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #153 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:52 »

God damn it. Not the way I wanted this to go.  :-(

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #154 on: 29 Mar 2010, 17:53 »

No, but it was the expected outcome.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
« Reply #155 on: 29 Mar 2010, 18:07 »

I had a QC pool going with a friend. I thought they'd end up fuckenly drunking. Guess I owe my friend a beer.
Click Here!

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #156 on: 29 Mar 2010, 19:11 »

I had something similar like this happened to me. A girl who was talking to me (a cousin of a classmate) kissed me out of the blue. I did what felt right and told her that I didn't feel anything for her, otherwise it would feel like taking advantage. It wasn't a friend of me this time, as I experienced best friends that become lovers usually end bad.

Momo's finger reminds me of this: http://abstrusegoose.com/234

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #157 on: 29 Mar 2010, 19:15 »

Quote from: Fenriswolf link=topic=24651.msg927210#msg927210 date=126990
[/quote
What the fuck are you on? There are some seriously bitter extremists but trying to claim that is remotely feminist is ridiculous. I mean, you read a few rad fem blogs are you'll hurt your brain with the crazy, but the above is not common fare!

All heterosexual sex has fucked power dynamics (not "is rape", even the most extreme do not go quite that far) and thus women should stop having sex with men - sure, that's certainly out there. Men expecting physical closeness in a relationship even though they're willing to go without sex are being controlling? Sure, I've read that bullshit recently.

But you just pulled that out of your arse.

And mainstream feminism has exactly nothing to do with women having more rights than men: anyone claiming otherwise doesn't have a fucking clue.  :x

THANK you. I agree with you that the positions you exemplified above do exist and are kind of scary bs, but at least they're extreme derivations of ideas that make sense in a less Swiftian context. The stuff initially written as an example of "feminism"? Just complete batshit craziness not having anything to do with anything, really.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #158 on: 29 Mar 2010, 19:26 »

Maybe this belongs in Discuss, but MacKinnon and Dworkin are close enough to the mainstream to get their ideas into legislation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tobimaro

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #159 on: 29 Mar 2010, 20:01 »

No, but it was the expected outcome.

Expected, yes.  Liked, hardly.  If he had gone to bed with her, he most likely would feel even worse.

reicreature

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #160 on: 29 Mar 2010, 20:08 »

I love this type of story arc precisely because it makes forum lurking just a little more interesting.

I'm still hoping for a Marigold and Sven awkward romance, but that's just because I think it would be sort of hilarious.  Just the thought of a heartbroken over Faye, Sven deciding to try his hand at some internet romance with a guild mate. HAH!

Also, poor Angus too. I've had to do that sort of thing a time or two before, it's never a nice feeling to hurt someone you care for.
This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #161 on: 29 Mar 2010, 20:20 »

Doing the right thing is rarely easy. 

Doing the right thing is sometimes unpopular. 

Doing the right thing is not usually fun. 

Even knowing what's the right thing to do can be a problem. 

But it's the right thing to do. 

And I admire Angus even more for having that much backbone. 

BTW, doesn't Momo only have 4 fingers?  Which one is the middle one? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Melauren

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #162 on: 29 Mar 2010, 20:23 »

Unless I'm completely misreading the population of this message board and the majority of you people are World of Warcraft/animu-nerds.

Unlurked to say it seemed like some people might be misreading this... Odin was saying he (she?) doesn't think everyone on the boards are WoW nerds.

(Just sayin')
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2010, 20:28 by Melauren »

Wiregeek

• Curry sauce
  • Yes I am. No I'm not.
« Reply #163 on: 29 Mar 2010, 22:42 »

Y'all need to fan the flames of this misandry-fest just a wee bit higher, I'm about to cum.

I'm _still_ hoping it's rape-o-clock, though.
When you're a kid, they tell you it's all "grow up. Get a job. Get married. Get a house. Have a kid, and that's it. But the truth is, the world is so much stranger than that. It's so much darker. And so much madder. And so much better!

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #164 on: 29 Mar 2010, 22:48 »

If Marigold could see this, she'd probably say "Not cool!  Not funny!  Not a good comic!"

(I wonder if anyone will get that)  ;)

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #165 on: 29 Mar 2010, 22:58 »

Marigold did it wrong anyway. She's supposed to get too drunk, almost kiss him, then fall unconscious in his lap and vomit.

BTW, doesn't Momo only have 4 fingers?  Which one is the middle one? 

The middle of the three that aren't her thumb, I guess. :|

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #166 on: 29 Mar 2010, 23:22 »

I predict this WCT thread will break 15 pages by Friday at the rate this is going.

*continues to wait for update*
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #167 on: 29 Mar 2010, 23:26 »

That really depends on how much drama Jeph has planned for the rest of the week, but if it keeps up at this rate, 15 pages wouldn't surprise me.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #168 on: 29 Mar 2010, 23:35 »

I wonder what Faye has in store for (F)Angus.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #169 on: 29 Mar 2010, 23:53 »

Lets see, what would be the best course of action.  Go to try to console marigold (probably not the best time) or try to go to bed (and lock the door in case momo shows up with a knife). :|
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

akronnick

« Reply #170 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:01 »

That depends greatly on whether Marigold ran into her room and slammed the door, or ran aimlessly into the night.

By the way, wonder what's going on with Steve and What's-her-name with the cervical collar?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #171 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:02 »

[...] angus is one of those "nice guys". [...]
... what ???

Marten is a nice guy.

Angus is a bit nicer than Steve and certainly nicer than Sven (thats not a hard one), but doesnt qualify for "nice".

And about a good match for Faye, there is none in the Comic yet.
Carpe Diem

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #172 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:03 »

If Marigold hasn't gone flying outta the house and run all the way to Casa Del MarDorFaye. I daresay he may attempt to try and talk to her after giving her a few moments to calm down.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #173 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:04 »

I am liking this conversation between these two. :)

helloandgoodbye

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #174 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:08 »

This was just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw.  I still feel bad for Marigold though.  Maybe Hanners can come over and cheer her up?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #175 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:11 »

Angus still needs to talk to her - If she doesn't do a 'Release the Hounds' and set Momo on him first.

Might be a good idea to have Hanners around ............ or not.

Is this the beginning of Fangus?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #176 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:12 »

Wow I like where this is going too.  An I also had a feeling she put his hand on her bewb.
Cant wait for tomorrow!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

zagraf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #177 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:13 »

Because someone has to make the obvious reference about Jeph's comment under the strip:

"What sayest ye, Faye and Angus?"
"Words, words, words."

With that out of the way...I'm glad Faye's being supportive and not all "Grgh how could you."

Also, with Marten taken (you had your chance, Faye) and Sven not prepared to give her the exclusivity she wants, I hope Faye finds a man. It may be Angus; it may be not, but I hope she finds one.

Shadic

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • Shadic's Website
« Reply #178 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:15 »

How many people don't think Faye likes Angus?

And even Faye is willing to call him a good guy. I honestly don't see why so many people hate him.

You know, besides the whole "SVENANDFAYEAREMEANTTOBETOGETHERFOREVER " thing.  :roll:

akronnick

« Reply #179 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:18 »

Ze plot, zshe thickens....

Faye puts her arm around Angus while simultaneously saying nice things about him?!

At this rate, they should be doin' the nasty in time for the 2016 Presidential Election.

You, know, two or three days in QC time.

yellowledbetter

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #180 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:22 »

Ze plot, zshe thickens....

Faye puts her arm around Angus while simultaneously saying nice things about him?!

At this rate, they should be doin' the nasty in time for the 2016 Presidential Election.

You, know, two or three centuries in QC time.
fixed

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #181 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:38 »

Also, 2nd page of WCT an hour after Monday's comic was posted, when was the last time that happened?
I _think_ the faye-sven arc beat that, many times over... ah, good times.
Don't forget the Marten-Dora arc!  That was simply EPIC. 

My first reaction is to snark at the idea of Hannelore helping anyone deal with relationship problems.
Hanners totally helped Marten and Steve!
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1103

By the way, wonder what's going on with Steve and What's-her-name with the cervical collar?
My first thought when I read that was, "Who the f*** would put a collar on their cervix??"
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

akronnick

« Reply #182 on: 30 Mar 2010, 00:55 »

Different cervix.

Cervix is doctor talk for 'neck.' When doctors talk about a lady's cervix, it is refering to the neck of her uterus.

imenonelse

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #183 on: 30 Mar 2010, 01:36 »

While I was all for Faye+Sven, Fangus is looking pretty good too. They're very cute together :) I think both guys match her wit well, but Angus seems to be the less drama/stressful choice for Faye.

BTW: I think Angus did his best in the situation he found himself in.

What she needs is spaghetti and meatballs behind an authentic Italian restaurant.

heh heh.... NOT lady and the tramp..

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #184 on: 30 Mar 2010, 01:44 »

Marigold did it wrong anyway. She's supposed to get too drunk, almost kiss him, then fall unconscious in his lap and vomit.
But Faye abandoned Marigold instead of passing along her wisdom.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #185 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:02 »

Since when do fart jokes qualify as humor?
In English, at least since "The Canterbury Tales". And 西游记 or "Journey To The West" is full of them (lots of poop and pee jokes too). Jokes like that are popular because they draw from our consciousness of being ridiculous bags of goop, staggering around bashing our shins, and catching our fingers in the machinery. Jeph plainly understands this.

Don't forget the head-butt to the man-bits.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ecstaticjoy

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • I like math
« Reply #186 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:08 »

I hope I see where this is going.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #187 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:56 »

But it's the right thing to do. 

Sigh.  :-(  That phrase has been ruined forever due to its endless repetition by my country's batshit-insane Prime Minister.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #188 on: 30 Mar 2010, 04:07 »

Y'all need to fan the flames of this misandry-fest just a wee bit higher, I'm about to cum.

No.

I'm _still_ hoping it's rape-o-clock, though.

According to the last stats I looked up on the subject, somewhere in the US it is pretty much always rape-o-clock at any given moment for at least three people (not always in the same place).

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #189 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:00 »

It was the right reaction - the reaction to having your hand placed on boob of an unrelated female for a hetromale will normally be "Hey. bewb."

It's doing the right thing after being tempted that makes you a decent human being.  Now Faye needs to go to Mar and try and talk her down - she may just surprise us yet.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #190 on: 30 Mar 2010, 05:09 »

I'm a little disappointed Angus didn't go straight to Marigold, but rather went out wandering in the night.  I don't like the idea that he left her alone in her pain.  

Of course, maybe it was to finish sobering up - that first stagger when he got up probably convinced him that they both needed to sober up before talking.  And crying is exhausting, Matigold's probably going to pass out before she can talk.  

I didn't read Angus' hand on Mari's boob, I thought she was just holding his arm, going in for another kiss as he started to freak.  But it's not surprising she'd move so fast, she was pretty overeager!  Once you make a decision like that, frenzies can occur.  

On another note, an arm around Angus!  And it doesn't have a fist!  

michi-love

« Reply #191 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:11 »

Yayyyy!

This comic left me feeling warm and happy. :)

(And I thought that was her introducing his palm to her breast, but from the angle, I just couldn't be sure!)

I do wonder how Marigold's going to resolve this on her end... Angus&Faye seem to be doing fairly well, but Mar's hurt, and it's possible that neither Dora nor Hanners could help her... perhaps a combination of both. I personally would not want to be comforted by someone who is in a happy, stable, loving relationship like Dora, but I wouldn't want to be told it's alright by someone as unable to handle the idea of a relationship like Hanners. In my mind, the best person to cheer her up would have been Raven. I don't know how it would work, but somehow my mind has made some sort of sense of it. o_O

kent_eh

« Reply #192 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:20 »

I'm a little disappointed Angus didn't go straight to Marigold, but rather went out wandering in the night.  I don't like the idea that he left her alone in her pain.  

No guy, no matter how sensitive and well-intentioned, is capable of saying the right thing to a female in her current emotional condition. Nor is she in any state to listen to anything a guy has to say to her. She needs some time.

And she's not completely alone, Momo is there to protect her.

I expect one 9or more) of the female characters will show up to help her out (whether she wants it or not, she needs it).

vettechinohio

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #193 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:37 »

Yayyyy!

This comic left me feeling warm and happy. :)

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me (:

You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #194 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:38 »

That depends greatly on whether Marigold ran into her room and slammed the door, or ran aimlessly into the night.

Cosette. I think she's still in the hospital, since their date was only a few days ago ICT.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #195 on: 30 Mar 2010, 06:39 »

Wow I like where this is going too.  An I also had a feeling she put his hand on her bewb.
Cant wait for tomorrow!
I actually had to look back at 1631 - first panel.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

thret

• Plantmonster
« Reply #196 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:11 »

If Marigold could see this, she'd probably say "Not cool!  Not funny!  Not a good comic!"

(I wonder if anyone will get that)  ;)

Everyone will get that, we all read XKCD too.

Also, firefly. Faye is quoting firefly. She just needs to end it with a 'well, you're okay' and she is taking off the swordfight scene in Episode 4, 'Shindig'.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #197 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:13 »

Everyone will get that, we all read XKCD too.

I read, but don't recall - a link, anyone? 

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #198 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:29 »

The "not cool!" thing is an annoying trope in every. damned. XKCD. comment thread.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #199 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:50 »

Oh, I stay away from those.  I'm just in it for the comics. 

See, I get the humor, 'cause Randy's in my head...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up