THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where did Hannelore learn to be maternal?

From her mother
- 2 (2.2%)
From her father
- 4 (4.3%)
From Dora
- 18 (19.4%)
From the best nanny money could buy
- 20 (21.5%)
She's simply a good person
- 27 (29%)
By logical deduction and observation
- 18 (19.4%)
Callous calcium calliope
- 4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: 04 Apr 2010, 20:09

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010  (Read 101170 times)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
Re: Weekly comic thread, March 29 - April 2 2010
« Reply #200 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:02 »

I'm a little disappointed Angus didn't go straight to Marigold, but rather went out wandering in the night.  I don't like the idea that he left her alone in her pain.  
Angus has the same problem I would—would talking to Marigold make things worse, or better? And, given he's already blaming himself, could he stand himself if he made it worse? Marigold already heard what Angus had to say, really all he can say, and I don't think there's much to add at this point(and as someone who once had* a ferocious 'fixit' complex, I can tell you that you can very easily make things worse by nattering on, no matter how good your intentions). Given Angus's track record of saying the wrong thing (and being aware of it, remember the Faye-Dad thing), I can understand him quitting while he's behind. Not to mention I suspect he's still in shock over the whole thing—I don't think Angus has women crawling on him all the time—could be a bit unnerving.

Got to give points to Angus for being up-front about the whole thing with Faye—no evasions, no protests of 'it didn't mean anything,' just the facts—some guys angling for a girl would be tempted to spin things a wee bit, at least. And a few to Faye for acting like a human being instead of a weird combination of snapping turtle and jackrabbit**—she really needs to try to do that more.

And huge points to Jeph for working with a storyline that I'm near-positive makes him uncomfortable.

*I keep telling myself that.

**Yes, Wall Drug gave us (or at least used to make a good living from) the jackalope—now I give you the snappenjack. Has the beak, has the shell, can bite your face, or run like hell.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 08:10 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #201 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:45 »

Everyone will get that, we all read XKCD too.

I read, but don't recall - a link, anyone?  

Right here.  :evil:

Fair warning, it's a bit NWS.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #202 on: 30 Mar 2010, 09:08 »

...and as someone who once had* a ferocious 'fixit' complex, I can tell you that you can very easily make things worse by nattering on, no matter how good your intentions...

*I keep telling myself that.

Ah.  Yes.  Nailed it in one.  My most annoying trait. 

Fortunately, I'm a university professor, so most people assume the incessant nattering is part of the job... 

My family knows better.   :|
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #203 on: 30 Mar 2010, 09:47 »

If you reject someone's advances, you are NOT the right person to console them.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #204 on: 30 Mar 2010, 10:02 »

Wow, a whole bunch of you seem to want someone to go 'rescue' Marigold by talking to her/calming her down.  I'd say she's pretty much inconsolable at this point, but she will heal.  People acting overprotective of her is likely contributing to her naivete, though, so rushing in to console her won't necessarily help.  She's gonna wanna talk to someone about this eventually -- the reason I'm guessing it'll be Hanners is because she's friends with Hanners and she will be looking for comfort rather than advice.  No doubt Dora could give better relationship advice than Hanners, but Marigold doesn't know her as well.  Angus and Marigold will talk again, hopefully when they're both completely sober, and eventually they may be able to be friends again, but much of that will depend on Marigold's feelings.  I do think, given her associations with it now, that Marigold will be avoiding bourbon for awhile.

Faye seemed to be walking the streets to clear her head, so I don't know if she was actually heading back to Angus and Marigold's apartment or not -- she wasn't rushing anywhere, that's for sure (and wtf town do they live in where a woman can walk alone late at night without worrying about it?  can I move there?).  It's cool that she and Angus ran into each other and could talk -- they were even rational and honest!  The fact that Faye was being sympathetic and even affectionate (helloooo physical contact) is a pretty clear signal that she likes him.  Angus may be beating himself up for awhile over the whole Marigold thing, but at least he and Faye have sort of bonded over the awkwardness.

And yeah, I noticed the boobpalm in the previous comic right off (and mentioned it in my last post).  I would say the 'omgboob' reaction is pretty standard among hetero males.  ^_^

Random question: have we met the owner of the Linux-based AnthoPC with the "beard"?  'Cause if we have, I don't remember.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Moxie

• Furry furrier
  • Shinier than thou
« Reply #205 on: 30 Mar 2010, 10:13 »

I'm a little disappointed Angus didn't go straight to Marigold, but rather went out wandering in the night.  I don't like the idea that he left her alone in her pain.
Angus has the same problem I would—would talking to Marigold make things worse, or better? And, given he's already blaming himself, could he stand himself if he made it worse? Marigold already heard what Angus had to say, really all he can say, and I don't think there's much to add at this point...

Angus needs to time to think, to reflect, to overanalyze. He needed some alone time, essentially, and he couldn't get that with Marigold crying apparently extremely loudly. I do agree with raoullefere - there's really nothing Angus can do or say for Marigold at this point that probably wouldn't make it worse - she needs some alone time too.

Unless Carl-E was getting at something like fear that Marigold would do something disasterous to herself that Angus could help prevent if only he were there...

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #206 on: 30 Mar 2010, 10:43 »

I don't think we have met the owner of PT410x.  I would surely have remembered. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

disaacs

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #207 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:21 »

I thought "XKCD? How can that be NSFW?" <click>

It's amazing what effect an unnoticed goat can have...

Varian7

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #208 on: 30 Mar 2010, 11:57 »

If you reject someone's advances, you are NOT the right person to console them.

Amen to that.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #209 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:11 »

I'm interested in seeing their counterpart to that specific XKCD comic, too, since they've supposedly worked that image into every single XKCD comic in one of the frames somewhere.

My time at SomethingAwful.com has made me immune to the horrors of the internet.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #210 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:36 »

In my mind, the best person to cheer her up would have been Raven. I don't know how it would work, but somehow my mind has made some sort of sense of it. o_O
I like that idea. Raven is sensitive to others' pain (516) and will try to help (1116). But would Raven really be able to relate to the idea of being that emotionally invested in pursuing one guy? Marigold might get treated to one of those useless speeches about other fish in the sea.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #211 on: 30 Mar 2010, 13:10 »

wtf town do they live in where a woman can walk alone late at night without worrying about it?  can I move there?

Northampton, MA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northampton,_Massachusetts

Some fun facts, according to wiki:

1. It is nicknamed The Paradise City.
2. Northampton has the most lesbian couples per capita of any city in the US.
3. It is home and host to the #1 ranked arts fair in America

Its crime rate is apparently not really too bad: http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Northampton&state=MA

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #212 on: 30 Mar 2010, 13:12 »

In my mind, the best person to cheer her up would have been Raven. I don't know how it would work, but somehow my mind has made some sort of sense of it. o_O
I like that idea. Raven is sensitive to others' pain (516) and will try to help (1116). But would Raven really be able to relate to the idea of being that emotionally invested in pursuing one guy? Marigold might get treated to one of those useless speeches about other fish in the sea.

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/fishies.png

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #213 on: 30 Mar 2010, 13:22 »

I'm interested in seeing their counterpart to that specific XKCD comic, too, since they've supposedly worked that image into every single XKCD comic in one of the frames somewhere.

My time at SomethingAwful.com has made me immune to the horrors of the internet.

Pintsize's twitter feed did that for me.

"If you don't get this one, don't Google it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Odin

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #214 on: 30 Mar 2010, 13:58 »

Pintsize's twitter feed did that for me.

"If you don't get this one, don't Google it.

Hahahaha.

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #215 on: 30 Mar 2010, 14:04 »

See, I get the humor, 'cause Randy's in my head...

You have a bandicoot in your head?        :-P
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #216 on: 30 Mar 2010, 14:29 »

Oh, that's the least of it...

michi-love

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #217 on: 30 Mar 2010, 14:54 »

I wonder when we'll hear more from Randy. I love that little marsupial.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #218 on: 30 Mar 2010, 15:03 »

Raven is sensitive to others' pain (516) and will try to help (1116). But would Raven really be able to relate to the idea of being that emotionally invested in pursuing one guy?
No
Marigold might get treated to one of those useless speeches about other fish in the sea.
Or, worse, the 'you just need to get laid' speech.

Northampton, MA.…is nicknamed The Paradise City.
So the grass is green and the girls are pretty?

Oh, that's the least of it...
I already resisted making a really halfwitted comment about JackFaerie's point number two, and now this. Please, I'm not that strong…

Edit: maybe even quarter-witted.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 15:09 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

michi-love

« Reply #219 on: 30 Mar 2010, 15:29 »

Hmmm, maybe Raven would - or, in true form, perhaps she would have one of her "moments" and spout the exact perfect thing to say... even Momo's social protocol database would not have seen that as a viable option, and it would blow everyone's minds.

... or yeah. She could mention how Marigold just needs to get laid... and introduce the poor girl to Make-Out Hobo. She would introduce him to the wonders of WoW and he would educate her in the ways of sloppy makeouts.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #220 on: 30 Mar 2010, 15:40 »

I'd be hoping that Jeph has given Marigold some measure of self respect to avoid the Make Out Hobo.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

carvin

• Not quite a lurker
    • BESM Wikia
« Reply #221 on: 30 Mar 2010, 16:39 »

I think the most important point is this: Will Jeph remember the throw away plot point that Angus got out of a terrible relationship recently? http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1363 . Also, he says 'room mates'; does this mean before Marigold, is he including Momo, or is it a plot hole?

I'll leave you with that, I have Simpson's Wikipedia articles to edit.

(I'm joking)

EvolPenguin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #222 on: 30 Mar 2010, 17:05 »

Interesting point, no mention of it so far though. How much time has passed since then?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #223 on: 30 Mar 2010, 18:05 »

Everyone knows Le Pétomane, right?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #224 on: 30 Mar 2010, 18:12 »

(I'm sorry, I'm not trying to have a go, I just think it's really funny that fart jokes are almost universally hated by everyone that aren't fans of Larry the Cable Guy, and yet some of the most cherished intellectuals from before the birth of Christ until the present day make fart jokes regularly.)

Not trying to be too much of an ass, but Aristophanes predates he who sits on the right hand of Yahweh. 

By a few hundred years if memory serves
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #225 on: 30 Mar 2010, 18:55 »

Mar's hurt, and it's possible that neither Dora nor Hanners could help her... perhaps a combination of both. I personally would not want to be comforted by someone who is in a happy, stable, loving relationship like Dora, but I wouldn't want to be told it's alright by someone as unable to handle the idea of a relationship like Hanners. In my mind, the best person to cheer her up would have been Raven.  o_O

Yes, Raven, brilliant!   Remember when she shows Faye her little book of guys?  Show Marigold that fish-in-the-sea menu!    :laugh:
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #226 on: 30 Mar 2010, 19:05 »

Everyone knows Le Pétomane, right?

Well, we do now! 

michi-love

« Reply #227 on: 30 Mar 2010, 19:15 »

To be completely honest, I just miss Raven and her bubbly attitude (sucks when you are said to be "most like" a character who is taken out of the comic...) and think it would be hiiiighly amusing.

However, Angus does not say roommates, he says housemates. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that could likely be a huge difference - I know that my friends who are in college refer to suitemates as well as her roommate... so, my train of thought is going with the fact that Hanners is housemates with Marten, Faye, Dora, and... I'm assuming still Natasha, too... even though she has no roommates. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass. Thoughts? :D

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #228 on: 30 Mar 2010, 19:21 »

When Marigold was introduced, she (and Momo) had "just moved in" around the corner from the Faye-Marten-Hanners building.  Possibly Angus moved in with her at the same time ("she needed a roomate"), and before that had been splitting a house with some other people. 

The lure of going from a houseful of people who celebrate your most recent breakup to a single apartment-sharer (with anti social tendencies) may have been attractive! 

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #229 on: 30 Mar 2010, 19:55 »

Yeah, either that or the other party misinterpreted completely innocent gestures, or else ridiculously overanalysed the small things at the expense of the big picture. Or perhaps a combination of the two. Sometimes people not used to certain types of friendliness/banter (e.g. expressing extreme interest, playful teasing) can misinterpret someone's personality as being flirty when it's just how they are.
Yeah, that's happened to me a few times before :|

Now we just need to see whether Faye goes back to Mari and Angus's place and tries to comfort Mari and tell her it's gonna be alright, or give her crap for trying to move in on Angus.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #230 on: 30 Mar 2010, 20:14 »

When Marigold was introduced, she (and Momo) had "just moved in" around the corner from the Faye-Marten-Hanners building.  
Actually, Pintsize only says Momo has moved in, which I took to be another way of saying she was just delivered to Marigold.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1298

Not that your theory has no merit, but…
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 20:17 by raoullefere »

Watched Pot

« Reply #231 on: 30 Mar 2010, 20:16 »

At the risk of derailing the relatively high-brow discussion of relationship dynamics and the analysis of who has lived with whom and for how long.....in the last panel Angus's right upper arm/shoulder is clearly thinking, "whoah, boob, awesome."
Don't you do cocaine at ME, you son of a bitch!

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #232 on: 30 Mar 2010, 21:30 »

I'm taking the whole "housemates" vs "roommate" thing, and the "just moved in" thing, to mean that Angus and Marigold . . . just moved in at the time of that strip, and Marigold brought Momo.  End of.

Thanks celticgeek -- I didn't think we had met the other AnthroPC's owner.  Be cool to see what Jeph comes up with for that one day (possibly in the far far future).

And thankies to JackFaerie for the info on Northhampton -- that does sound like a nicer/less violent town than most.

.....in the last panel Angus's right upper arm/shoulder is clearly thinking, "whoah, boob, awesome."

Yes.  Yes it is.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #233 on: 30 Mar 2010, 22:13 »

I'm sure the Linux AnthroPC would indignantly deny having an "owner". In any event, we have never met PT-410X's, um, companion human.

Re walking around alone at night: would you mess with Faye? Took out a G-man with one blow, what would she do to some random thug?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #234 on: 30 Mar 2010, 22:25 »

Who cares about living arrangements, Momo's 'ownership' status or who should console Marbear.....LOOK FAYE HAS HER ARM AROUND ANGUS OMG ARE THEY GONNA LIKE DO IT AND STUFF???
What the hell are YOU staring at?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #235 on: 30 Mar 2010, 22:50 »

Also, firefly. Faye is quoting firefly. She just needs to end it with a 'well, you're okay' and she is taking off the swordfight scene in Episode 4, 'Shindig'.
Totally my thought, except I think it's "well, [you're] all right..."

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #236 on: 30 Mar 2010, 22:58 »

On another note, an arm around Angus!  And it doesn't have a fist!  

IknowIknowIknow! I'm SO excited!!

helloandgoodbye

• I have a cloaca too. ;)
« Reply #237 on: 30 Mar 2010, 23:36 »

Ha!  I knew Hanners would come!

Also, is it just me, or does Hanners' hair look kind of animeish?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #238 on: 30 Mar 2010, 23:54 »

Actually, it looks kinda... well... Ellen-ish?

And actually... wow. Go Hanners. She's managed to displace the OCD enough to console a friend properly... even IF she's puke-in-the-toilet overhung.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 23:56 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #239 on: 30 Mar 2010, 23:55 »

Am I the only one who's more impressed that Hanners could deal with being hugged than her ability to dodge vomit at super human speed? Of course I'm sure the hug aversion thing might have helped her speed out there just a bit faster.
I had something witty to put down here but.....

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #240 on: 30 Mar 2010, 23:56 »

Am I the only one who's more impressed that Hanners could deal with being hugged than her ability to dodge vomit at super human speed? Of course I'm sure the hug aversion thing might have helped her speed out there just a bit faster.
No, you're not... That's even more amazing than the Warp factor one Vomit Run of Mari-chan.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #241 on: 30 Mar 2010, 23:58 »

I'm calling it right now - this thread is going to explode as soon as everyone realizes what happened in that fourth panel.
Just another Joe like 46

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #242 on: 31 Mar 2010, 00:03 »

I'm calling it right now - this thread is going to explode as soon as everyone realizes what happened in that fourth panel.

Hanners hugged back!!!!!!!

or was she getting a better grip so she could push away faster??

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #243 on: 31 Mar 2010, 00:04 »

"Faye told me what happened."

If I were Marigold I would be horrified and wonder how many other people also knew.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

daryljfontaine

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #244 on: 31 Mar 2010, 00:09 »

Hanners hugged back!!!!!!!

or was she getting a better grip so she could push away faster??

I think it has more to do with Hannegold 'shipping and bewbage.  Which is, of course, ricockulous.

Very impressed by Hannelore's innate teleportation and/or phasing skills.   :laugh:

And LOL at "BUTTS LOL" mug.

D
It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #245 on: 31 Mar 2010, 00:31 »

Well, now we know what The Flash's daughter is doing these days   :-D
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2010, 00:33 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #246 on: 31 Mar 2010, 00:37 »

So one may hug Hanners if one is a woman ? Hihi, gender transformation is quite tempting now ! :wink:
Carpe Diem

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #247 on: 31 Mar 2010, 00:43 »

If you could get Hannelore to compete, she would be a champion UFC fighter with that speed. How unsanitary do you think their gloves and sweat must be? Hers would be boiled between rounds, of course.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #248 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:07 »

Oh yeah, I can see Hanners moving that fast under the circumstances. For someone that obsessed with cleaniness and germs, being puked on would be the ULTIMATE HORROR. Heck, most relatively normal people would want to dodge the puke too...
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Exar_Kun

• Me Hawngry!
« Reply #249 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:46 »

I just gotta say it... Hanners' hair in this strip looks awesome. Its like she actually took the time to brush it. AMAZING!
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up