THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 13:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: South Island, New Zealand  (Read 8250 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
South Island, New Zealand
« on: 04 Apr 2010, 15:47 »

is where I am going in May. I am traveling with my sister and my parents and we are going to drive across South Island on account of it being the most scenic and having some of the most beautiful places in the world (read: Milford Fjord), and it being the least accessible if I were to ever come back in the future. Then we are flying to Sydney and my parents and sister are leaving and I am staying for a bit to hang out with the internet!

So, Eastern Hemisphere folks, what do you recommend I see and do around, like, Queenstown, Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, etc etc? What are things to be prepared for in autumn in New Zealand (aside from midges)? And what is worth seeing and what is worth skipping in the vicinity of Sydney?

halp plz.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Re: South Island, New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 2010, 17:35 »

It's Milford Sound. It has Fjords but is not a Fjord in title. Fjords are for Norway.

Go to Wanaka, it's amazingly beautiful. Also drive the crown range road between Queenstown and Wanaka. Queenstown is mostly a tourist trap. It's going to start getting cold around then so be prepared for potentially icy roads and road closures. Probably not though.
Dunedin has the steepest street in the world and lots of drunk students. Christchurch is full of skin heads but also has some cool stuff.
Check out Akaroa, it's a French village near Christchurch and is much nicer than the rest of that region.
Go to Kaikoura and go whale watching. Hanmer Springs has awesome hot pools.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 04 Apr 2010, 17:40 »

Hey!  Don't forget the North Island exists as well!!

Welcome to Middle Earth Rizzo  :)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2010, 19:07 »

What? Welcome? I've lived here for 22 years.

Also, North Island is nice. But South Island is far nicer for touristy things I think. It's not as small as some think. It's at least 15 hours to drive it end to end so make sure you have enough time. And the roads are mostly good but not always.

Also worth checking out is Malborough and Marlborough Sound. Plus theres Nelson which is really pretty and gets more sunshine than anywhere else in NZ. There's also the west coast which is essentially a damp rugged rain forest. Cool place if you like bleak scenery and crazy locals.
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #4 on: 04 Apr 2010, 21:31 »

Kugai I know the North Island exists. I would like to come and hang out, but due to time constraints and the demands of the other people going, I probably won't be able to.

Dawg Riz we will be getting a caravan and the road trip will be two weeks ish, so there will be plenty of time.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2010, 01:02 »

Oh, sorry about that Rizzo - I posted that just as I was heading out for a while so it was rushed and I didn't look properly.

S'OK calenlass, was being tongue in cheek   :-D
James The Kugai 

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #6 on: 05 Apr 2010, 05:35 »

And what is worth seeing and what is worth skipping in the vicinity of Sydney?

Spend a day exploring the harbour and surrounds.

Then catch a plane to Melbourne.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #7 on: 05 Apr 2010, 07:02 »

I was about to compose a lengthy post in response, waxing lyrical on the expansive cultural wilderness that is Sydney, comparing and contrasting the obviously superior Sydney sights and sounds to those of Melbourne. You know, get really into that whole nonsensical rivalry between the two cities.

Then I thought "Yeah, no. Fair enough."
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 05 Apr 2010, 18:59 »

EAT A LAMB. A WHOLE LAMB
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 05 Apr 2010, 19:22 »

Ok, well what are your starting and ending points? Are you thinking of going hiking at all? Are you going to drive around the whole South Island in two weeks?

Here are some things to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catlins

The Catlin Coast is this rugged kind of uninhabited place that is actually really cool. A lot of time will be spent on gravel roads, but that is OK because it will be a rental and you have insurance for these things. The area is beautiful and they have some rare wildlife there and a petrified forest on the coast and NEAT.

Lake Tekapo is on the way from Christchurch to Queenstown (and everyone goes somewhere around here). Do not miss it, because it has the most amazing colour that never seems to come out the same in photos and is truly breathtaking.

DEFINITELY go to the Milford Sound. Definitely go hiking somewhere in Fiordland National Park (yes we spell it fiord, because we are special) and DONT go swimming in Lake Teanau because that shit is always cold. Oh and bring bug spray and pet a Kea for me (they are the parrots that eat sheep and destroy cars).

Rizzo mentioned Akaroa, and if you are in Christchurch then it is totally worth it to drive over the hills to visit. It is a really stunning bay area and you can go and check out Hectors Dolphins (they are tiny and endangered and cute).

Dunedin is the Scottish city of New Zealand! You should visit it because that in itself is kind of silly and you can buy tartan and people that far South talk kinda funny (even more so in Invercargill though). Also it is full of very drunk students who light things on fire constantly.

While you are in Dunedin it would be silly NOT to check out the Otago peninsula where you can visit the Royal Albatross Sanctuary and watch big honkin' birds do birdy things. There is also probably the only castle ever in New Zealand there (which is ok I guess), but better than that is the Yellow Eyed Penguin Conservation reserve where you can stalk yellow-eyed penguins when they come in to nest from a super days fishing. You get to hide in trenches with binoculars and just you know, watch 'em. It is really fun! http://www.otago-peninsula.co.nz/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-eyed_Penguin

Ok that is just the bottom bit of the South Island. And not even all the good stuff, so you really need to pick and choose I guess! More to come including: big mountains, sandy beaches, rocks shaped like pancakes and my personal favourite WHALES.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 05 Apr 2010, 19:24 »

Oh yeah and stop by Auckland to give my mum a hug. Heck it would be rude not to!
Oh and let me come too. Please?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #11 on: 05 Apr 2010, 20:49 »

Yeah don't bother coming to Sydney. It really is that interesting.

I will maybe take you out vintage shopping if you want? I know all the hip joints for that shit. I know you will want to go to the corset shop but honestly I find it really boring because corsets are not my thing at all but I am sure someone will want to go there so whatever.

Also I guess i can take you out for beers and punk/folk gigs.

These are my only two activities.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2010, 21:18 »

These are basically what I am coming to Sydney for, Lunchy. I go cool places to hang out with cool people, and Sydney has the highest concentration of you lot. Playing tourist is fun and all that, but only if you're in good company.

Kat we are flying into Christchurch and doing a big ol' loop! (I think that is where we are leaving from, too.) I am not sure if we are going to Invercargill but otherwise yes we are driving around South Island for two weeks. <3 Thank you for suggestions! Penguins are incredibly necessary.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #13 on: 05 Apr 2010, 21:27 »

If you're starting in chch then Akaroa should be your first stop. It's only about an hour away. And it has seals and penguins.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #14 on: 05 Apr 2010, 21:29 »

Hooray!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #15 on: 05 Apr 2010, 21:29 »

Also I hope you pronounce "chch" like the poorly imitated sound effect of cocking a gun. Because I do.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #16 on: 05 Apr 2010, 21:32 »

Also Kiwis are not always nice to Americans so be prepared to be treated like an idiot by some. To be fair, your compatriots haven't got the best track record.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 05 Apr 2010, 23:49 »

some important information for first time American visitors to New Zealand

• Do not let the first question out of your mouth be "Where's the nearest McDonalds?"
  • Yes, we do drive on the other side of the road
  • No, there are not any Hobbits running around the South Island
  • We play two types of football down here - League and Union - And no, we don't wear padding
  • Please be polite to the large, patched and tattooed Maori gentlemen as a punch in the mouth often offends

Have a nice visit, and please do come again.

Seriously though, hope you and yours have a good time while down south.
James The Kugai 

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #18 on: 06 Apr 2010, 10:11 »

Man, Kugai, those tips would be amazingly helpful, except that duh? Being rude to people simply because they look funny is Simply Not Done because that is not how our mommas raised us here in the South. Clearly my compatriots need to get better mommas.

Oh man that reminds me. Are there any matches worth going to see around May 19 through the beginning of June?

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #19 on: 06 Apr 2010, 13:45 »

My brother is playing rugby with Rangiora Southbrook Saracens RFC somewhere outside of Christchurch. I'm hoping to visit him in August.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #20 on: 06 Apr 2010, 13:47 »

Regarding New Zealand McDonald's:

You shouldn't build the bloody things if you don't want people asking where they are.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 06 Apr 2010, 22:49 »

You don't build a McDonalds - They appear by creeping osmosis.
James The Kugai 

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #22 on: 07 Apr 2010, 11:38 »

Fun fact: Your country has the second most McDonald's per capita in the world. I'm afraid cultural imperialism has rendered the "Where's the nearest McDonald's?" question completely reasonable.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 08 Apr 2010, 19:34 »

Which proves my point
James The Kugai 

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2010, 20:19 »

Oh hey so I remember one time you said you were going to come to NZ but then plans fell through and you didn't? I'm glad you are getting to go at last. It'll be rad times, for sure. I don't live in NZ at the moment (!) but I can totes recommend Akaroa, and actually everywhere that Kat suggested. And while you're in Chch you should scoot over/under the hills to Lyttelton and get coffee at the Lyttelton Coffee Company. They do good work.

Damn now I want to go too...

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2010, 00:12 »

Let's play Where does Gryff live now?

a. Cairo
b. Surrey
c. Oklahoma
d. Toowoomba

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2010, 06:34 »

e) none of the above.

This is a good game. At least one person here knows!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2010, 07:16 »

Ewww, I hope it's not Surrey!

Wait, I know how to figure out if it's Surrey: Gryfford, are you surrounded by arseholes?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:18 »

My wife has just taken a new job at the University of Surrey...  Surrey's OK if you start at Guildford and face South-West (says the man who once lived in Surbiton, Crawley, and Neasden - God, what a load of clichés my life has been through!).
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2010, 12:20 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2010, 17:33 »

Just about all of my Surrey time has been spent in the Guildford/Woking area, where my grandparents lived. I used to go and visit them every few years, starting when I was a very young child, culminating in 2003 when I spent about seven months living with them. Really in retrospect it was quite sad seeing the tone of the county change over those years as more and more money started pouring in from the City. I always thought it was a beautiful part of the world and I used to be strangely proud of the fact that it had more trees than any other county in England (or so I read somewhere), but now if I was ever again to spend an extended period of time in England it's the last place I'd want to live.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2010, 17:35 by Inlander »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2010, 18:10 »

Let's play Where does Gryff live now?

e. Bangkok
f. Darwin
g. Montreal
h. Capetown

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2010, 18:25 »

Ooh! Ooh! Miss! Miss! Pick me! I know!

He lives in the aether, right? In the aether? Gryfford lives in the aether.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2010, 18:57 »

My heart is on Montreal but my money's on Buenos Aires.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #33 on: 06 May 2010, 20:42 »

Heeeeeyyyy Ozzies! So apparently we are leaving in a week? I thought we were leaving in two weeks and I would be in Sydney like the 4th through the 12th. Huh! So, who wants a house guest/couch surfer from May 30 through like the 7th of June?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #34 on: 06 May 2010, 21:57 »

I guess you could stay with us. I'll ask the housemates. (HEY NICK)
We have three couches! There will be dog and cat all over you whilst you sleep.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #35 on: 06 May 2010, 22:04 »

Also if I get time I will prepare an itinerary for you of things you should do whilst I am at work.
And of course all the other Sydney kids will be happy to take you under their wings I am sure.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #36 on: 06 May 2010, 22:32 »

Cats all over are fine, dog all over is fine, except not when I am sleeping because I would not like to wake up with a stuffy nose and itchy eyes but I can manage to avoid it when I am awake.

Also did you mean an itinerary of things to do around your house? Because I can totally clean up, if you want. A little, anyway. I do not know where you would want your stuff, I mean. But seriously, this is amazing and hooray!

Now I have to think of presents to bring everybody.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2010, 22:33 »

I meant around Sydney, but if you are offering...

Also kitties and puppies can be locked in respective rooms if you are allergic.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #38 on: 07 May 2010, 12:36 »

Nah, it's ok.

Hey, guys, what sort of top-up pay-as-you-go phone would be super cheap but good for calling to confirm reservations and for in case I get lost wandering around Sydney on my own?

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #39 on: 07 May 2010, 13:17 »

I'll be on the South Island of New Zealand from 12 August through 25 August 2010. My brother and I are going to hang out, drink beer, rent an RV/camper van and drive around the entire island for two weeks. IT WILL BE RAD TIMES.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 07 May 2010, 14:30 »

I'll be on the South Island of New Zealand from 12 August through 25 August 2010. My brother and I are going to hang out, drink beer, rent an RV/camper van and drive around the entire island for two weeks. IT WILL BE RAD TIMES.

It's alllllllllll fun and games

Until you get pulled over at the Checkpoint and hauled into the Booze Bus.
James The Kugai 

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #41 on: 07 May 2010, 17:47 »

Man Katie I dunno about phone plans but I have a spare handset that is locked to Virgin if you can find any good sim card deals there.
Also it's pretty much cool if you stay but you might have to walk the dog and you might have to stay in my room because one of my housemates is grumpy at the moment and doesn't want anyone staying in the lounge room for a week.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #42 on: 09 May 2010, 02:43 »

Are either of you guys gonna be in Auckland at all? Cause I would really like to meet you both :)
I always buy a Vodafone sim card when I go to Auz, costs $5ish for the sim and then $30 credit gets you $150 worth of credit. You have to be trying pretty hard to use it up.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #43 on: 10 May 2010, 13:52 »

Lunchy my dad already found a phone thing I guess. Thanks, though! I can totally walk the dog and I will totally charm the housemate. Probably. Am I allowed to snog them? Because, well, that is my superpower.

Rizzo I am not. :( I looked at the price of plane tickets, even from Christchurch, and I cannot afford it (and they do not care that I am special and important and whatever). However, I can send you poptarts for cheap. Let me know what kinds you want and I can get them!

Also, dudes, you have about 24 hours to let me know what sorts of american things you want me to bring you, because my flight schedule has been bumped back again and now I am leaving Wednesday evening and this changing of plans without telling me is getting really annoying blargh. So, Reese's? Yorkie mints? Pop-tarts? Lucky Charms? Cinnamon Toast Crunch? Real peanut butter that isn't gross? C'mon let's do this!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #44 on: 10 May 2010, 13:57 »

Oh right also I need your addresses, Riz and Lunchy, because I am sending the boxes of this stuff to you when I get to Sydney on Friday as opposed to having to pay Emirates Air for the extra baggage weight.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #45 on: 10 May 2010, 15:48 »

Oh shi, cinnamon toast crunch? That sounds amazing. Bring me something interesting. You can get Reeses and lots of American candy in stores around here, bring me something totally far-out.
Also address PM'd

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #46 on: 10 May 2010, 21:20 »

Thanks Katie, messaged you! Basically only interested in poptarts! Fruit flavours especially (although chocolate banana split looks awesome too). The website is pretty amazing.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2010, 21:22 by Rizzo »

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #47 on: 10 May 2010, 22:01 »

Oh yeah, fruit flavoured poptarts! Without all that sugary frosting crap on top if possible.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 11 May 2010, 11:39 »

Katie, I believe there are penguins in New Zealand. Bring me one!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #49 on: 11 May 2010, 23:10 »

Katie, I believe there are penguins in New Zealand. Bring me one!

Are you TRYING to get her arrested??!!!
James The Kugai 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up