Palimpsest.
- 12 (20.3%)
Cloaca.
- 10 (16.9%)
Phrontistery.
- 8 (13.6%)
Gudgeon.
- 9 (15.3%)
Other. (and you can't say 'antidisestablishmentarianism,' that's cheating.)
- 12 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: 18 Apr 2010, 21:51

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT April 12-16  (Read 92297 times)

pendrake

• Curry sauce
Re: WCT April 12-16
« Reply #200 on: 16 Apr 2010, 11:55 »

Personally,  I vote for Faye to make her art gallery work the full-sized 2-ton hemi-expresso-saurus rex.

As for comic #1645, I like how Dora snaps up the oppurtunity, such sharpened money-sense (like spider-sense, but you tingle in in the presence of an easy monentary commision 8-) ) comes from being a successful small business owner, after all.

P.S edit-add: Also like the cute art-gallery couple.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2010, 11:57 by pendrake »

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #201 on: 16 Apr 2010, 12:23 »

Dammit, I said "NO!"

I think Carl-E is channelling Eric Cartman...

Come on guys, it's a T.Rex! Sculpted in metal by Faye! It should be singing 'Metal Guru' by T.Rex.

Coincidentally I went to an exhibition today where this guy was sculpting creatures (mostly) out of old hubcaps. I have to agree with the people who thought the T.Rex Cafetičre was a bit of an anti-climax - I too was expecting Faye to produce something like this.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #202 on: 16 Apr 2010, 12:59 »

No, it's not Cartman.  I'm a father who's actually had to turn this car around, dammit! a few too many times. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few left who actually likes "Don't worry, be happy" (Bobby McFarren, not Bob Marley, though).  But don't go turning a minor work of art into a Billy Bigmouth Bass, that's just wrong...

Was Faye's ego just stoked by Marten in a wig and fake beard?

I noticed that, too.  Clearly we older gentlemen have nothing better to distinguish us than our facial hair.  I think Jeph just hasn't had enough practice with guy faces - we've got Marten, Angus, Sven and Wil (neither lately), and Steve (who's practically a cameo) along with a few other brief visitations (Amir, Mike, and...Dale?), and with the exception of Mr. Bianchi, who's rather cartoonish, they're all young. 

He needs more practice.  Especially with older dudes. 

I'll selflessly volunteer to be a recurring character.

Coincidentally I went to an exhibition today where this guy was sculpting creatures (mostly) out of old hubcaps. I have to agree with the people who thought the T.Rex Cafetière was a bit of an anti-climax - I too was expecting Faye to produce something like this.

Yes!  Scroll through the commissions page (the second link) - there's some amazing stuff there.  I especially like the steampunk flying orb thingy.  You must be in Britain?  Seems a lot of his stuff is in pubs. 
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2010, 13:13 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #204 on: 16 Apr 2010, 14:59 »

You must be in Britain?  Seems a lot of his stuff is in pubs. 
Yus, guv'ner, Londoner born and bred.

Had a chat with him and told him his work reminded me of a 3D version of Hajime Sorayama's stuff (see bottom left image), which he didn't get until I mentioned Sexy Robot, then he knew what I was on about.

He was also exhibiting an F-14 type model aircraft made out of vacuum cleaner parts!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #205 on: 16 Apr 2010, 15:42 »

Was Faye's ego just stoked by Marten in a wig and fake beard?

And contact lenses... But who was his partner? Dr. Corrine rendered unrecognisable by wearing glasses (It works for Clark Kent)? Hanners in a Mission Impossible-style mask?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #206 on: 16 Apr 2010, 16:58 »

Perhaps QC is like the Timothy Hutton Nero Wolf series*—an ensemble cast with the 'lesser' stars playing various roles each strip. As I recall, that confused hell out of the audience at times.

Really, though, I must have no 'eye'; save for stylistic similarities, everyone in QC looks different to me.

*A damned fine show, despite (or because?) of the casting. Rex would've been proud.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #207 on: 16 Apr 2010, 17:52 »

In 458, Faye said of her sculpture "I had to give that up when I moved up north". She was not being straight with herself. She's been hiding from her past, and it's good that she's recovering. Full credit to Dora for the insight that Faye needed to be pushed into sculpting. Did she notice how content Faye looked in 1130, or is she just that understanding of human nature?

possible, but more likely she simply did not have a suitable workspace. metal sculpture is generally not something you can do in an apartment bedroom. of course that does raise the question of where and when she built the Rexpresso tm since we haven't seen her in any sort of studio, or any indication that she owns any tools.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #208 on: 16 Apr 2010, 20:52 »

*A damned fine show, despite (or because?) of the casting. Rex would've been proud.
It was a good show, but I thought Timothy Hutton was terrible as Archie Goodwin. Rex Stout's Goodwin cracks wise for sure, but on a granite-hard bedrock of physical and mental toughness that Hutton totally missed. Maury Chaykin on the other hand was the best Nero Wolfe in any adaption.

Rexpresso tm
Best name ever!
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2010, 20:54 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #209 on: 16 Apr 2010, 21:31 »

Jeph, your secret is slowly being exposed.

Time to hide the Cloning Machine   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #210 on: 16 Apr 2010, 21:32 »

<snip>
...Clearly we older gentlemen have nothing better to distinguish us than our facial hair.  I think Jeph just hasn't had enough practice with guy faces - we've got Marten, Angus, Sven and Wil (neither lately), and Steve (who's practically a cameo) along with a few other brief visitations (Amir, Mike, and...Dale?), and with the exception of Mr. Bianchi, who's rather cartoonish, they're all young.  

He needs more practice.  Especially with older dudes.  

I'll selflessly volunteer to be a recurring character.
<snip>

We'll name him, "Carly Stu"!  :-D

And I would have to bet that Faye was using the back room of the store as her "lab" for creating Rexpresso tm.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2010, 21:34 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #211 on: 16 Apr 2010, 22:17 »

It was a good show, but I thought Timothy Hutton was terrible as Archie Goodwin. Rex Stout's Goodwin cracks wise for sure, but on a granite-hard bedrock of physical and mental toughness that Hutton totally missed. Maury Chaykin on the other hand was the best Nero Wolfe in any adaption.
I thought the tone of the whole show was a trifle lighter than Stout's tales (for the most part—some of the short stories were a little silly, too). Also, even though he narrates, we get less of Archie's thought process than we do in the novels, and I think that's where some of that inner toughness flows from. Chaykin also plays Wolfe with a slightly lighter touch than the character exhibits in the novels, or again, at least, in some. At any rate, they beat hell out of Lee Horsley and William Conrad, whom I quite liked in Cannon, but not as Wolfe.

Anyway, it's one series I really need to buy, if ever I have the spare bucks. Scenes like the one where Inspector Cramer 'storms' the brownstone to the music of "Go Big Daddy!" are priceless.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2010, 00:58 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #212 on: 16 Apr 2010, 23:42 »

I read a lot of Nero Wolfe when I was much younger, and recently rediscovered them as books on CD (I have to drive a lot).  The ones read by Michael Prichard are fantastic - his vocal characterizations of both Archie and Wolfe are spot on, and they're unabridged, so you lose none of the character or locale details. 

I got my daughter hooked on them, and can't recommend them enough - they're wonderful detective tales, and at the same time, amazing little time capsules! 

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #213 on: 17 Apr 2010, 00:59 »

possible, but more likely she simply did not have a suitable workspace. metal sculpture is generally not something you can do in an apartment bedroom. of course that does raise the question of where and when she built the Rexpresso tm since we haven't seen her in any sort of studio, or any indication that she owns any tools.
The more important question it raises is how she actually burned down her former appartment building.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #214 on: 17 Apr 2010, 01:45 »

That's an interesting point, while she did say she was making toast, she did not specify what kind of toaster she was using.

Perhaps her former toaster was  the prototype for a giant steel pterosaur shaped meqa-toaster.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #215 on: 17 Apr 2010, 02:58 »

I got my daughter hooked on them

Since you mention your daughter - how's she doing? You posted this:

Unfortunately, it's one of those things where only time will tell. 

and kind of left us hanging. Hope she's OK now.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #216 on: 17 Apr 2010, 03:31 »

The more important question it raises is how she actually burned down her former appartment building.
Have we considered that she didn't actually burn down anything, that the whole "my apartment got incinerated" sob story was a fabrication entire?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #217 on: 17 Apr 2010, 07:30 »

Have we considered that she didn't actually burn down anything, that the whole "my apartment got incinerated" sob story was a fabrication entire?

Possible entirely.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #218 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:37 »

I got my daughter hooked on them

Since you mention your daughter - how's she doing? You posted this:

Unfortunately, it's one of those things where only time will tell. 

and kind of left us hanging. Hope she's OK now.

Umm... yeah.  I got my older daughter hooked on the books, actually - I have two.  The younger one is ill.  All we had back then was a "working diagnosis", in other words, it was acting like a particular disease, but not completely, and none of the tests were positive. 

It took six months of steady deterioration and the removal of a surprise tumor before we got a real diagnosis. 

I'm not going to load the board with details, but the prognosis is good, or will be, eventually.  But it'll be a while before she can get off the feeding tube, and probably a few years of constant therapy before she can get around without her wheelchair.  If you want details, message me. 

Oh yeah, and I'm losing my teaching position (cutbacks - nothing I did, thank god).  The insurance ends in June.  And the new regulations, which really would help about now, won't kick in soon enough.  I actually ripped into a neo conservative student the other day when he was crowing about how the "best healthcare system in the world didn't need fixing". 

Sorry, didn't mean to inject American politics into the board - if you're seething, just ignore that last part and calm down. 

"The more you know..."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #219 on: 17 Apr 2010, 11:29 »

Ouch. Best wishes, and a speedy recovery for your daughter.

Will Faye get sued when the first Rexpresso burns somebody? She's getting gallery exposure already so she's got above-average career prospects if she's willing to free up the time.

What will she give up, CoD hours or socializing?

Did Dora have something like this in mind all along? She did commission a sculpture, not for herself, but for the coffee shop where it would be on display.

If Dora is subtly manipulating Faye into fulfilling her potential, will she someday do the same for Pennelope?

Are there any AnthroPCs with a coffeemaking feature? Did Faye use the surplus guts of one for the working parts of her sculpture?

And (dramatic organ music) what about Naomi?

For the answer to these and other questions ("Is that your Jetta with the lights on?") tune in next week to Questionable Content.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #220 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:00 »

So we've got Dale, the Rexpressosaurus, and then suddenly a previously unknown art collector couple in just four strips within Coffee of Doom? I get the feeling that jeph is up to something.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #221 on: 17 Apr 2010, 13:01 »

Oh, not just a collector, but a gallery owner...

This means exposure for Faye, and if his gallery sells it, a sizeable markup for him...  which means he thinks he can sell it for a good bit more than he just paid. 

It can take an artist an awfully long tie to find out what they're really worth on the marketplace, what with all the middlemen involved.  By the time some of them find out, they're dead. 

and that's when their value changes! 

And you thought working retail sucked...  well it does, but it's a different kind of suck.  You know, steady paycheck, regular hours, dealing with costumers customers...   :laugh:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #222 on: 17 Apr 2010, 13:31 »

Working retail does suck - and my loving wife who worked over 25 years in retail will be the first one to tell you that.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #223 on: 17 Apr 2010, 21:52 »

Right you are, Carl. If she wishes financial security, what Faye needs to do is gather a local reputation, churn out a ton of work, and then die.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #224 on: 17 Apr 2010, 22:26 »

Maybe even profit from the example of Shelley Winters and die more than once.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #225 on: 18 Apr 2010, 07:19 »

Huh. I was pretty sure that Shelly only died that one time and that now she managed to escape death-land she's pretty much immortal. I mean really, being blown out of your car by the explosion that destroyed it and mysteriously landing unharmed in the next field? Fate is clearly conspiring to keep you well away from Death.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Scott Haley

• Not quite a lurker
Craps out coffee
« Reply #226 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:15 »

There's a neat article on civet coffe in the New York Times today.  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/world/asia/18civetcoffee.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #227 on: 19 Apr 2010, 12:44 »

"Waiter - this coffee tastes like shit! Same again please."

And speaking of shit happening - Carl-E, that sucks. Really hope it all works out for you and your family.

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #228 on: 20 Apr 2010, 06:11 »

"Waiter - this coffee tastes like shit! Same again please."
Do you have something a little less... ducky?
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

nothing

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #229 on: 21 Apr 2010, 18:36 »

I kind of missed the boat on this one, but I call "phthisis".

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #230 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:36 »

Who you callin' phthisis??
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up