THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 7215 times)

Dotes

• Not quite a lurker
Advice please
« on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:01 »

So, I love music, and criminally, I've never been to a live show of anyone I'd pay money for. I would love nothing more than to go to one and I have had a few opportunities. I regularly check the schedules of a few venues nearby and I've gotten pretty excited about them... but there's a catch (maybe). NO ONE I know likes the same music as me. I like a lot of what's generally considered 'indie,' but despite being in college for some time now, I have literally never met anyone who professed to have similar interests. My roommates are into music like Bone Thugs and Shwayze and Ludacris, and all my friends are generally similar. There's nothing wrong with that, to each his own. It's just not my favorite thing. I tried to get some people interested in a show I wanted to see once, but they were less than enthused and I ultimately ditched it. I'm getting tired of listening to music on my headphones; when I first moved I played my music on the speakers a lot - much to the displeasure of my roommates - so I eventually just gave up.

So at the risk of sounding like a self-pitying wuss, what do I do? Should I go to these shows alone, could that be fun, is that possible, or would that be the most pathetic thing in the world? Am I loser, or maybe, do I need to find new and better friends? Maybe some who like good music? I feel like my interest in music has been put in this tiny, compartmentalized part of my life, and I've always felt that it was more important than that. I used to talk about music all the time, to anyone who would listen, even though no one I knew really cared about music much at all. Now, I just don't see the point. The blank stares and indifferent responses got to me I guess.

So does anyone have any advice? Even if that advice is "Stop crying, go outside and meet people you loser," I'll try to take it to heart.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:03 »

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to shows alone.  Go, and make some new friends while you're there.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:08 »

^ This, a thousand times fucking this, forever.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 20:19 »

There was a really great conversation in the Relationship thread awhile ago about bringing books to shows -- so when nobody wanted to see You Say Party! We Say Die! with me, I took a notebook and Slaughterhouse-Five with me instead of my buddies. That night, I

a) made friends with an opening act that had to ask why I was reading during part of his set
b) made friends with a local radio DJ after a long discussion about Vonnegut
c) made friends with two ladies who wanted to know what I was writing about, who then introduced me to their lesbian virtuoso sister
d) broke a story via Twitter before anyone else and supplemented a journalist (who I also met there) with details since I'd written everything down.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2010, 23:03 »

Yeah when I first went to college I didn't even really have friends so I just started looking for fliers and (this was roughly 6 years ago, my details are hazy) figured out where cool shows were happening and just went.  Somehow I managed to meet, like, three people and have actual conversations on my first night out. One person I met turned out to be one of my best friends and still is.  He also happened to become a very credible venue promoter in the area and helped my future bands get on a lot of really great shows.

I dunno, even in high school I felt like it was more effective to just leave friends behind if they weren't into going to a particular show, if it was one worth going to, so I guess that prepped me for going to college shows alone.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2010, 01:10 »

There was a really great conversation in the Relationship thread awhile ago about bringing books to shows -- so when nobody wanted to see You Say Party! We Say Die! with me, I took a notebook and Slaughterhouse-Five with me instead of my buddies. That night, I

a) made friends with an opening act that had to ask why I was reading during part of his set
b) made friends with a local radio DJ after a long discussion about Vonnegut
c) made friends with two ladies who wanted to know what I was writing about, who then introduced me to their lesbian virtuoso sister
d) broke a story via Twitter before anyone else and supplemented a journalist (who I also met there) with details since I'd written everything down.

Sounds like the framework for a beautiful novella.

To answer the question:

Go alone. There will be people there. They will be there for the same band as you. So you're finally getting to see some enthousiasm for the music you love. Which is very nice. So, you know, GO!
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2010, 02:18 »

As for finding people who listen to the same music you do, have you had a look at your college's radio station?

That's usually where they all hang out, those indie kids.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2010, 12:50 »

I went to The xx alone and had like an hour-long chat with some guy and his gf who were standing next to me before the music started. It started out really music oriented but we eventually got onto other topics, it was fun. Made me want to do that sort of thing more often.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2010, 13:43 »

I don't think there's anything wrong with going to shows alone.  Go, and make some new friends while you're there.

Agreed x100

I went to the Wolf Parade show when they came through town (3ish years ago...) ended up getting too drunk and went home with someone several years my senior who worked at my school. It was awesome.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2010, 14:26 »

Hell, this is something I probably should have started doing a long time ago.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2010, 00:17 »

uhhhh did this happen really recently because if so :( :( :(
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2010, 10:25 »

it sounds better out of context doesnt it jc :(
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2010, 17:56 »

When I used to go to gigs I'd know everyone that I saw but now I go to gigs alone if I go to gigs at all.

iamiam

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2010, 07:46 »

go alone and awkwardly pretend to text between sets
Quote from: meebo
[11:09] Darryl: MaiAda: the Beat Happening of the QC boards
[11:10] Darryl: so subtly subversive that not everybody can even tell
[11:10] Darryl: punk as fuck
[11:10] Darryl: ponies and rainbows

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:12 »

Go alone. Drink. Obnoxiously tell a girl nearby that you liked the band years ago when they played a basement show. Get her excited through his revelation. After they play, briefly introduce her to band. Drunk makeouts.

A+

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2010, 10:20 »

Remember to talk to girls. Always important.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

kwami42

• last.fm
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2010, 18:18 »

This thread has inspired me to go see Laura Marling by myself next week

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2010, 18:48 »

Laura Marling

better be a good book

;)

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2010, 21:10 »

Remember to talk to girls. Always important.

Talk? To girls?

don't they have the cootie
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

kwami42

• last.fm
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2010, 22:27 »

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #20 on: 26 Apr 2010, 22:41 »

I think he means that the crowd will be relatively well read rather than that the show will be boring.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2010, 23:32 »

nah

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2010, 23:51 »

Oh well in that case youuuu're wroooonnnggggg
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2010, 22:50 »

Go to metal concerts, get wasted, and mosh. You won't really care about not knowing anyone, and you might make some friends in the process.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2010, 22:19 »

hey actually you shouldn't do that
Pages: [1]   Go Up